Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6462|The Land of Scott Walker
I refuse to do business with this company as of 2 years ago.  My payment was one day late and they TRIPLED my interest rate.  When I called to negotiate with them, they refused as said "policy dictates you must make 6 months consecutive on time payments to restore your previous rate".  So I played the game and 6 months later they still refused to lower it.  With no other choice I took the situation to a credit counseling agency and they were able to get my rate back to 9% since I had closed the card. 

Stories like this only confirm I made the right decision. 
http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Ba … lders.aspx

Credit card issuers have drawn fire for jacking up interest rates on cardholders who aren't behind on payments but whose credit scores have fallen for other reasons. Now, some consumers complain, Bank of America is increasing rates based on no apparent deterioration in their credit scores at all.  The major credit card lender in mid-January sent letters notifying some responsible cardholders that it would more than double their rates to as high as 28%, without giving explanations for the increases, according to copies of five letters obtained by BusinessWeek.  Fine print at the end of the letter -- headed "Important Amendment to Your Credit Card Agreement" –- advised calling an 800-number for the reason, but consumers who called say they were unable to get a clear answer.  "No one could give me an explanation," says Eric Fresch, a Huron, Ohio, engineer who is on time with his Bank of America card payments and knows of no decline in the status of his overall credit.

The so-called opt-out letters give borrowers the option of no longer using their cards and paying off their balances at the old rates. But they must write Bank of America by later this month if they plan to do so. If they don't, their rates on existing and new balances automatically will rise.

What's striking is how arbitrary the Bank of America rate increases appear, credit industry experts say.

Michael Jordan, 25, a software developer who lives in Higganum, Conn., says he received a letter from Bank of America in late January advising him that his card rate would rise from 9.99% to 24.99%. The software developer, who earns $80,000 a year, says he was "shocked" because his payments had been on time and his credit scores hadn't changed in the past year.  In fact, Jordan says, he has only $4,500 in overall outstanding credit card debt on two cards and that, on the Bank of America card in question, he had paid down his balance to $3,000 from $3,700 in August. 
"His rate increase seems unjustified based on his credit profile," says David Robertson, the publisher of The Nilson Report, a credit industry trade publication.

When Jordan called Bank of America about the higher rate, he says, the bank representative couldn't explain why his rate was going up. On a second call, he adds, the individual told him the reason for the increase was that he hadn't been paying down his balance fast enough, though he had lowered it by 19% in the past six months and was now utilizing only 54% of his $5,500 credit limit.

Riess, the Bank of America spokeswoman, declined to discuss individual rate increases or to list all the criteria the bank was using as reasons to raise rates on existing cardholders.  Analysts say the bank's move is obviously aimed at shoring up profits. On Jan. 22, Bank of America reported a 95% decrease in fourth-quarter earnings due mostly to increases in loan-loss reserves for consumer credit, including rising card charge-offs and write-downs in mortgage-related securities.
----------------------------
Do yourself a favor and close and/or trasnfer the balance of your BofA credit card.  There are plenty other good providers out there like Discover.

Last edited by Stingray24 (2008-02-09 16:47:35)

Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6422|North Carolina
They also got in trouble for issuing loans to illegal immigrants.  Granted, I have one of their cards myself.... 
Stingray24
Just watch the rate closely.  If they jack it up, get rid of it and don't look back.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6422|North Carolina
I should probably switch to Citi or something like that.
Stingray24
Haven't heard anything bad of Citi.  Avoid MBNA and Capital One like the plague, though.  Discover has been good to me so far, so they are the only card I currently have open.  Cash back rewards, low rate, and good customer service will keep me around.
{M5}Sniper3
Typical white person.
+389|6777|San Antonio, Texas

Stingray24 wrote:

Haven't heard anything bad of Citi.  Avoid MBNA and Capital One like the plague, though.  Discover has been good to me so far, so they are the only card I currently have open.  Cash back rewards, low rate, and good customer service will keep me around.
Yeah, Capital One keeps sending me offers, 19.8% interest...

Chase screwed my dad over by saying that he made a late payment, they would not make any exceptions even though he's been paying on-time for about 3 years, he always pays a week before the bill is due.

I'd stick with Discover.
S3v3N
lolwut?
+685|6536|Montucky
Bank of America Fucked Me. I had a credit limit of 5,000 dollars.  I only had a balance of 100.00 dollars.  I'll repeat that because it bares repeating. I had used 100 out of 5000 dollars.  I missed a payment by one day.  Silly me, I had other shit to deal with.  They sent that 100.00 dollars to a debt collecting agency.

Fuck 'em.
Commie Killer
+192|6404
For general banking just use a Credit Union if possible.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6649|949

I myself use a Credit Union but my brother works for BofA and gets something like a .99% rate on his credit card for the first year, then a 2-something % after that.  I didn't believe it myself until he showed me the offer.
d3athwi5h4
insert clever title here
+59|6530|Kickapoo

Stingray24 wrote:

Citi is the worst.  They can suck my gun toting testicles.

http://accurateshooter.wordpress.com/20 … r-boycott/
Stingray24
2nd that motion.  Good to know.
David.P
Banned
+649|6291
How far you live from Charlotte NC? And you got the means and will do something drastic when times call it for it? And do you have any idea on counter security measures?
Locoloki
I got Mug 222 at Gritty's!!!!
+216|6657|Your moms bedroom
fuck bank of america, i had a card with nothing on it, and which i had never used, just kept for emergencies and they tried to charge me 65 dollars annual fee, after i had the card for a couple years, im like no wtf cancel, and they wouldnt cancel until i demanded to speak to a manager, and of course, they never got there money
TGMaverick
+16|6247
I only use my credit card for things I can afford.  I pay it off every month, so I really don't give 2 shits what my interest rate is.
{M5}Sniper3
Typical white person.

TGMaverick wrote:

I only use my credit card for things I can afford.  I pay it off every month, so I really don't give 2 shits what my interest rate is.
Yeah, that's how I do it too, but it's nice to know that you won't get raped if you miss a deadline by one day. Or have hidden fees/annual fees like:

Locoloki wrote:

fuck bank of america, i had a card with nothing on it, and which i had never used, just kept for emergencies and they tried to charge me 65 dollars annual fee, after i had the card for a couple years, im like no wtf cancel, and they wouldnt cancel until i demanded to speak to a manager, and of course, they never got there money

Last edited by {M5}Sniper3 (2008-02-09 19:40:29)

HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5978|Washington DC
My dad got screwed over by those fucking thieves. Some guy stole his ID and accumulated a bunch of debt in his name. Now my dad's credit report is pretty bad and BofA has not done ANYTHING to fix it. I keep telling him to sue their asses off, hopefully he will some day.

Bunch of fucking crooks, someone should blow their headquarters into pieces.
David.P
Banned
+649|6291

HurricaИe wrote:

Please dont tempt me.
Dragonclaw
+186|6322|Florida

David.P wrote:

HurricaИe wrote:

Please dont tempt me.
Do it, do the world a favor, while you are at it kill Chris Crocker and GayDiamond.
David.P
Banned
+649|6291

Dragonclaw wrote:

David.P wrote:

HurricaИe wrote:

Please dont tempt me.
Do it, do the world a favor, while you are at it kill Chris Crocker and GayDiamond.
Address on the first one and who's gay diamond?
Dragonclaw
+186|6322|Florida

David.P wrote:

Dragonclaw wrote:

David.P wrote:

Please dont tempt me.
Annoying ass tranny bitch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzcrz53StyU
{M5}Sniper3
Typical white person.

Dragonclaw wrote:

David.P wrote:

Dragonclaw wrote:

OMG! She reminds me of my old computer maintenance teacher! https://img183.imageshack.us/img183/4848/shockedjd6.png

Last edited by {M5}Sniper3 (2008-02-09 20:09:34)

Dragonclaw
+186|6322|Florida

{M5}Sniper3 wrote:

Dragonclaw wrote:

David.P wrote:

OMG! She reminds me of my old computer maintenance teacher! http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/4848/shockedjd6.png
Its a HE.
David.P
Banned
+649|6291

Dragonclaw wrote:

{M5}Sniper3 wrote:

Dragonclaw wrote:

OMG! She reminds me of my old computer maintenance teacher! http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/4848/shockedjd6.png
Its a HE. THING of non determinable gender.
Fixed and eww. It makes my ears bleed and eyes blister. If i only had a high powered sniper rifle so i wont have to get my hands dirty from it's disgusting fluids that look like blood.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6147|North Tonawanda, NY
I use USAA.  Low interest rates and Americans answer the phone when I call customer service, so that's all I need.
{M5}Sniper3
Typical white person.

Dragonclaw wrote:

{M5}Sniper3 wrote:

Dragonclaw wrote:

OMG! She reminds me of my old computer maintenance teacher!
Its a HE.
https://img183.imageshack.us/img183/4848/shockedjd6.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard