GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6655
Ive got a bad clog in my bath tub.  I tried the plunger, nothing.  Tried a homemade concoction, nothing.   Tried liquid plumber, nothing.  I have my last resort, a nice big bottle of sulfuric acid, but Im wary of trying that, I dont want to damage the pipes.   The water drains but at a slow, slow pace.

Its easier to ask than to search, I might be lucky and somebody out there could have had this very same problem in their recent past.
Jasonb0718
+6|6134
I don't think I'd use the sulfuric acid, because if they are pvc pipes, theres a good chance you won't have pipes anymore.  Time to call a plumber, or rent a drain auger.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6655
not PVC, theyre at least 30 year old metal type pipes.  Im not too knowledgable in the subject.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6643|949

Stop shaving your pubes in the shower.
{M5}Sniper3
Typical white person.
+389|6771|San Antonio, Texas
Get a plumbing snake.

https://images.lowes.com/general/p/plumb_metal_pipe_auger.jpg

DO NOT use sulfuric acid! Even if you have metal pipes, it will eat at them.

Last edited by {M5}Sniper3 (2008-02-09 14:33:49)

bennisboy
+829|6657|Poundland

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

n00b, it was the bath
DankmanHightimes
+24|6511|atlanta GA
go to home depot or lowes or a hardware store of some kind. get a pipe snake it about $30 i think and can reach like 20 feet down a pipe some even longer check them out see if that can help you.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6655

{M5}Sniper3 wrote:

Get a plumbing snake.

http://images.lowes.com/general/p/plumb … _auger.jpg
how much do those suckers cost?  should I use that before I try the acid?
jsnipy
+3,276|6534|...

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

not PVC, theyre at least 30 year old metal type pipes.  Im not too knowledgable in the subject.
if you have cast iron pipes don't use anything acidic, as I learned the hard way.

Last edited by jsnipy (2008-02-09 14:33:12)

GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6655

bennisboy wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

n00b, it was the bath
bath tub/shower head.

jsnipy wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

if you have cast iron pipe don't use anything acidic, as I learned the hard way.
what happened?

Last edited by GunSlinger OIF II (2008-02-09 14:32:53)

Hakei
Banned
+295|6006
Dilute it quite a bit then work backwards?

I'm guessing the pipes would be copper, I don't think you'll have any problems as long as you don't let it sit there for hours on end.

Acid won't burn through something instantly, it takes time.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6655

Hakei wrote:

I'm guessing the pipes would be copper, I don't think you'll have any problems as long as you don't let it sit there for hours on end.

now youre talking.
jsnipy
+3,276|6534|...

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

bennisboy wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

n00b, it was the bath
bath tub/shower head.

jsnipy wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

if you have cast iron pipe don't use anything acidic, as I learned the hard way.
what happened?
A section of plumbing rapidly (discovered 3 weeks later) corroded, wall had to be cut opened and sections replaced.

Last edited by jsnipy (2008-02-09 14:35:54)

Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6582|USA

Hakei wrote:

Thing is they're old and they might already have some damage. all it really has to do is weaken em up and they'll pretty much just disentigrate on their own.

i'd get the plumbing snake or try a hanger if the clog is close enough to the top.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6643|949

bennisboy wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

n00b, it was the bath
Most bathrooms here are shower/bath.  You can find a hand-crank auger for like $20, or you can probably rent one from Home Depot.

Does your bathtub have an overflow hole or something like it?  You may try covering that and plunging if you haven't already.
{M5}Sniper3
Typical white person.

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

{M5}Sniper3 wrote:

Get a plumbing snake.

http://images.lowes.com/general/p/plumb … _auger.jpg
how much do those suckers cost?  should I use that before I try the acid?
Like $20. I wouldn't use the acid at all.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6632|London, England
When that happens at my house we just buy some of that Drain Cleaner stuff and then leave it overnight. It usually does the trick.

If that doesn't work, blow up the place until you find said clogged pipe. Then use more explosive to unclog the pipe. You've seen The Simpsons, explosives solve all problems.

Last edited by Mek-Izzle (2008-02-09 14:36:34)

GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6655
holy shit, a fucking hanger!  why didnt my retarded monkey ass think of that?  this is the EXACT reason why I started this thread.   Good idea.
ThaReaper
Banned
+410|6651
Well if it's a hard clog. My mom used a hanger to get all the hair out, if it's hung up at the top of the drain.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6632|London, England

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

holy shit, a fucking hanger!  why didnt my retarded monkey ass think of that?  this is the EXACT reason why I started this thread.   Good idea.
my second idea was better
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6655

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

bennisboy wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

n00b, it was the bath
Most bathrooms here are shower/bath.  You can find a hand-crank auger for like $20, or you can probably rent one from Home Depot.

Does your bathtub have an overflow hole or something like it?  You may try covering that and plunging if you haven't already.
just covering will work?  there was an old rickety metal flip switch that I kept playing with until it broke.  cover it with a sock or something?
Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6582|USA

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

bennisboy wrote:

n00b, it was the bath

just covering will work?  there was an old rickety metal flip switch that I kept playing with until it broke.  cover it with a sock or something?
that wasn't the switch to open/close the drain was it?
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6643|949

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

bennisboy wrote:

n00b, it was the bath

I think the idea is to stop the airflow.  Like duct tape or something.
Ryan
+1,230|6854|Alberta, Canada

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

Ive got a bad clog in my bath tub.  I tried the plunger, nothing.  Tried a homemade concoction, nothing.   Tried liquid plumber, nothing.  I have my last resort, a nice big bottle of sulfuric acid, but Im wary of trying that, I dont want to damage the pipes.   The water drains but at a slow, slow pace.

Its easier to ask than to search, I might be lucky and somebody out there could have had this very same problem in their recent past.
They made toilets for a reason, unless you have a fat ass and need the whole tub.
{M5}Sniper3
Typical white person.

Ender2309 wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

that wasn't the switch to open/close the drain was it?
Sounds like it.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard