Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6408|North Carolina
Sometimes, murder is justified IMHO.  All that really matters in the end is that it looks as if you did it legally.

Granted, I don't think he really has to worry about going to jail over this.  Most juries (probably even in Russia) just let people off for this kind of stuff.
Hakei
Banned
+295|5998
He had every right to kill him.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6710|67.222.138.85

Turquoise wrote:

Sometimes, murder is justified IMHO.  All that really matters in the end is that it looks as if you did it legally.

Granted, I don't think he really has to worry about going to jail over this.  Most juries (probably even in Russia) just let people off for this kind of stuff.
Which is why we need capital punishment. Killing can be good, just don't leave it open to the individual, it leaves so much more room for screwing it up and putting people who are basically good in jail.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6408|North Carolina
True...  although we could always legalize certain forms of revenge...
RoosterCantrell
Goodbye :)
+399|6483|Somewhere else

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

ThomasMorgan wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

lavadisk wrote:

mtb0minime wrote:

(IMO, I'm not a big fan of vigilantes)
I think vigilantes do it out of a sense of moral obligation where this guy just wanted to kill the guy who caused immediate harm to the person he was protecting.
How is this guy not a vigilante? His stepson was in no immediate danger, he should have gone to the police, he obviously knew exactly who it was anyways. Let him rot in jail instead of getting the quick way out.

In any case he set himself up nicely for a temporary insanity defense.
Wait, what?  How was his stepson in no immediate danger?  He had a guy on top of him with his pants down...?
If he killed him while the guy was still on his kid, good on him. However, if he got them separated, then called the police, then killed him, it was just personal retribution. A reasonable feeling of course, but it really doesn't excuse it.

RoosterCantrell wrote:

ThomasMorgan wrote:

Wait, what?  How was his stepson in no immediate danger?  He had a guy on top of him with his pants down...?
I think he means "no danger" as in after he got the kid away, then came back for the guy.

Still, not a vigilante.  Vigilante is someone wanting to exact revenge by thier own means, but in a calculated, semi- level headed way.

This was just pure rage. He didnt want his own brand of justice.  He just wanted to mangle bones to appease the sheer amount of uncontrolled adrenaline in his body.
Apparently he was level-headed enough to call the authorities. He should have been level-headed enough to manage to avoid killing him.
NO ONE is level-headed if the call the police THEN kill someone.
JahManRed
wank
+646|6631|IRELAND

If it was my son or step son I would be of the mind to torture him with a pair of pliers for a day or two first.....................
djphetal
Go Ducks.
+346|6339|Oregon
I have to say, i can't blame the boxer. I wouldn't have killed the guy... but... hey. can't blame the boxer.
TimmmmaaaaH
Damn, I... had something for this
+725|6442|Brisbane, Australia

rdx-fx wrote:

A boxer in reasonably good shape, with a bit of adrenaline going, NOT wearing boxing gloves.. yeah, one or two head punches and the target would be in a world of hurt.

Call it muscle memory.  A boxer is used to hitting a certain way, with a certain amount of force.  Take off the thick padded gloves, add an overdose of adrenaline, substitute some out-of-shape 20 year old college student for a pro-boxer.  Guess what happens next?
All the more reason he should be let off.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/5e6a35c97adb20771c7b713312c0307c23a7a36a.png
daddyofdeath
A REAL Combat Engineer in the house
+187|6256|UK Bradford W,Yorks. Age 27
Take note he was an ex boxer, take note of apparent lack of gore everywhere on the floor. I feel he knows how to kill a man with one punch in the right area. You hear it all the time, '2 people fight on a night out....goes wrong....one man dead from one blow to the temple etc etc' I can say I would do exactly the same as him and smash his face in though. All the fathers on this site would do the same I feel also. Fathers protect their children. /End of story.
Flaming_Maniac

rdx-fx wrote:

daddyofdeath wrote:

Fathers protect their children. /End of story.
I'd count myself amongst those fathers. 

My girls will be protected.  Whatever happens to me as a result of that is of secondary importance.

I guess that's something that only a parent would understand;
My life for my childs life?  no doubt, no question - I'd trade mine for hers in a moment.
(and I suppose only a former soldier would think of it like that before they really had to)

TimmmmaaaaH wrote:

rdx-fx wrote:

A boxer in reasonably good shape, with a bit of adrenaline going, NOT wearing boxing gloves.. yeah, one or two head punches and the target would be in a world of hurt.

Call it muscle memory.  A boxer is used to hitting a certain way, with a certain amount of force.  Take off the thick padded gloves, add an overdose of adrenaline, substitute some out-of-shape 20 year old college student for a pro-boxer.  Guess what happens next?
Point I was trying to make there.

Guess I was 'clear as mud'
Excellent, kill your daughters attacker, who is no longer actually attacking her, so you won't be there to defend her for the rest of her life and she gets to tell prospective mates her father is in jail.
Volatile
+252|6707|Sextupling in Empire

Shotgun blast to the crotch would have sufficed IMO.

No need to kill.
Hakei
Banned
+295|5998

rdx-fx wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Excellent, kill your daughters attacker, who is no longer actually attacking her, so you won't be there to defend her for the rest of her life and she gets to tell prospective mates her father is in jail.
Your hypothetical scenario is of your own making there. My response was exactly what I said, and in reference to exactly what I quoted.

You misunderstand what I wrote. Whatever happens to me as a result of that is of secondary importance.  NOT of no importance.

Nice of you to put words in my mouth, manufacture vile scenarios out of context, and generally grossly misinterpret what I wrote.  From a Mod, no less.  Wonderful.  Thanks.

The point I was speaking to (and I believe daddyofdeath was talking about as well) is the realization that, once you become a parent, your child's life means more to you than your own life. 
It's not about raging out and stomping on the first little boy that gives your little girl a valentine.. it's about quietly doing whatever is necessary to safeguard your kids. 
Changing shitty diapers.. reading Goodnight Moon for the millionth time, and liking it.. operating on 2 hours of sleep a day, for however long you need to.. biting your tongue when your teenage daughter starts dating.. and (if it ever needs be) putting your own ass on the line to protect your child..  all of this a real father will do with a smile on his face and the knowledge that this is the best job in the world.
Your own temper, ego, and pride get stuffed into a distant back corner  - and you do whatever is necessary to raise a happy, healthy, moral, smart adult from a tiny, helpless infant.

gruesome and poetic revenge fantasies do not enter into things. 
raging out and beating on people just to make yourself feel better - is not an option.
Protect the kids, get them safe, and whatever else happens after that is secondary.
Very well said.
Locoloki
I got Mug 222 at Gritty's!!!!
+216|6643|Your moms bedroom
to bad that didnt happen to all our pedophiles...
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6293|Éire
I'd do the same thing. I don't blame him.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6774|PNW

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

lavadisk wrote:

mtb0minime wrote:

(IMO, I'm not a big fan of vigilantes)
I think vigilantes do it out of a sense of moral obligation where this guy just wanted to kill the guy who caused immediate harm to the person he was protecting.
How is this guy not a vigilante? His stepson was in no immediate danger, he should have gone to the police, he obviously knew exactly who it was anyways. Let him rot in jail instead of getting the quick way out.

In any case he set himself up nicely for a temporary insanity defense.
He's not a vigilante because he didn't actively go out looking for criminals to slay.
HudsonFalcon
+20|5934|New York
He did what just about any father would do if their child was being assaulted, and it was the right thing to do.  Justice was swift and appropriate for that pedophile, and the world is better off without him.
GroeFaZErdi
+6|6507
he was absolutly right!! 'd have done the same thing! people who do things like that do not have any right to live on....imo

Last edited by GroeFaZErdi (2008-02-07 09:29:26)

Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6002|...

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

rdx-fx wrote:

daddyofdeath wrote:

Fathers protect their children. /End of story.
I'd count myself amongst those fathers. 

My girls will be protected.  Whatever happens to me as a result of that is of secondary importance.

I guess that's something that only a parent would understand;
My life for my childs life?  no doubt, no question - I'd trade mine for hers in a moment.
(and I suppose only a former soldier would think of it like that before they really had to)

TimmmmaaaaH wrote:

Point I was trying to make there.

Guess I was 'clear as mud'
FM, I do realize this is generally speaking not correct. But let's put yourself in that scenario for a second as an ex boxer etc. Your boy of 8 is underneath a guy with his pants down, he took them apart and when he really realized what was happening he went berserk. I think EVERY single person in here would go berserk, yes you too. Beat the living crap out of the guy. Now in the boxer's case he beat him so hard that in a couple of punches it was all over.

I feel it's understandable, ofcourse not correct but hell, once something like that occurs you just can't stop, you just go insane.
inane little opines
HudsonFalcon
+20|5934|New York
The only variable that makes this case different than any other is the father was a boxer trained to deliver the most damage from his punches. However, any father in this same situation would no doubt be trying to kill the attacker, the boxer just knew how.
messfeeder
+31|6530|Gotham
I would do it. Cops don't do shit and the system tends to let people off too easy. That sick bastard got what he deserved.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6002|...

HudsonFalcon wrote:

The only variable that makes this case different than any other is the father was a boxer trained to deliver the most damage from his punches. However, any father in this same situation would no doubt be trying to kill the attacker, the boxer just knew how.
shortly put, exactly.
inane little opines
Flaming_Maniac

rdx-fx wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Your hypothetical scenario is of your own making there. My response was exactly what I said, and in reference to exactly what I quoted.

You misunderstand what I wrote. Whatever happens to me as a result of that is of secondary importance.  NOT of no importance.

Nice of you to put words in my mouth, manufacture vile scenarios out of context, and generally grossly misinterpret what I wrote.  From a Mod, no less.  Wonderful.  Thanks.

The point I was speaking to (and I believe daddyofdeath was talking about as well) is the realization that, once you become a parent, your child's life means more to you than your own life. 
It's not about raging out and stomping on the first little boy that gives your little girl a valentine.. it's about quietly doing whatever is necessary to safeguard your kids. 
Changing shitty diapers.. reading Goodnight Moon for the millionth time, and liking it.. operating on 2 hours of sleep a day, for however long you need to.. biting your tongue when your teenage daughter starts dating.. and (if it ever needs be) putting your own ass on the line to protect your child..  all of this a real father will do with a smile on his face and the knowledge that this is the best job in the world.
Your own temper, ego, and pride get stuffed into a distant back corner  - and you do whatever is necessary to raise a happy, healthy, moral, smart adult from a tiny, helpless infant.

gruesome and poetic revenge fantasies do not enter into things. 
raging out and beating on people just to make yourself feel better - is not an option.
Protect the kids, get them safe, and whatever else happens after that is secondary.
You were rationalizing the boxer's actions, I take that to mean you agree with them.

Apart from that I believe we are on the same page as to the duty of a parent. I have no problems with defending direct threats to your children, but the problem here was there was no longer any direct threat, it was just revenge. The boxer got his son out of trouble, called the police, then hunted this guy down to kill him. That's hardly doing what is necessary to keep them safe, if nothing else he abandoned his son in his time of emotional need.

rdx-fx wrote:

Which is why once the police were called and his son was out of harm's way, he had no reason to hunt the perp down.

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

He's not a vigilante because he didn't actively go out looking for criminals to slay.
He took the law into his own hands.

dayarath wrote:

FM, I do realize this is generally speaking not correct. But let's put yourself in that scenario for a second as an ex boxer etc. Your boy of 8 is underneath a guy with his pants down, he took them apart and when he really realized what was happening he went berserk. I think EVERY single person in here would go berserk, yes you too. Beat the living crap out of the guy. Now in the boxer's case he beat him so hard that in a couple of punches it was all over.

I feel it's understandable, ofcourse not correct but hell, once something like that occurs you just can't stop, you just go insane.
Yeah I wish that is what happened. I wish the guy came up on the two, beat the piece of shit until he was dead, then called the police. Then we wouldn't have to be discussing how this guy took the law into his own hands. Too bad that isn't what really happened.
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6649

Braddock wrote:

I'd do the same thing. I don't blame him.
I thought you didn't like the death penalty.

It's an awful situation. I think that he did it without weapons is enough to let him off. Anyone would have done the same thing probably thinking they weren't going to kill him.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard