Poll

How does the state of the US economy look like to you?

Very good. A bright future ahead. :]3%3% - 2
Good. Some minor hiccups, but onto moderate growth.9%9% - 6
Meh. Things could be better, things could be worse.15%15% - 10
Not good. Some serious problems, but can be dealt with.23%23% - 15
Worrisome. We are/can expect a moderate/deep recession.17%17% - 11
Dreadful. Certainly a depression. Tough times ahead.17%17% - 11
Apocalyptic. A total economic meltdown. God save us.10%10% - 7
I don't know.1%1% - 1
I don't care. Why am I voting?1%1% - 1
Total: 64
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6782|PNW

Public panic about a depression can lead to a depression, and could if the government wasn't able to lock trading down. Perhaps we should throw rotten fruit at the media, because sensationalizing a slump in the market is like throwing a jack-in-the-box in front of an uptight racehorse.

Of course, things could be better if, instead of this dumbass refund, the IRS would just ease up on the taxes and the government would drop unnecessary expenses (federal palaces, I'm talking about you).
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6654

Phrozenbot wrote:

usmarine wrote:

ATG wrote:

Do you own a house Marine. I doubt it. If you did, you would have seen a plunge in your equity. Your economy wouldn't be so fine.
I do.  And I foresee no problems, nor have any problems at the moment.  Its called not living with credit cards and not buy a lot of unnecessary shit.
So if a depression happens, you'll still have a job?
I know I will
Phrozenbot
+632|6625|do not disturb

dark110 wrote:

For all of you people who think you unerstand economics, allow me to explain.

First off, a recession is having two straight quarters of reduced Gross Domestic Product or Real Income Growth. While I think the 1st Q of 2008 may be slower than Q4 2007, I think the economy will recover and show growth by Q2 of 2008 thus keeping us out of a recession by definition.

Among the reasons:

1. Stimulus package. Much of the $150 billion or so they will be handing out will get spent almost immediately. Even if it is used to pay off debt, it will circulate through the economy and ultimately cause much more then $150 billion in spending. The tax cut portion will also allow small biz to keep more money. This money will either be spent or invested in new employees, etc, once again causing a greater increase in GDP than the amount invested in the stimulus. This is trickle down at its finest.
2. Housing. I think we have about reached bottom on the housing crash. Fed is expected to lower rates again this coming week. This is going to make 15 & 30 year fixed payments quite attractive versus renting. People who were sitting on the sidelines will start jumping in. People who were going to have to sell may be able to hang on. People who couldn't have qualified to refinance at higher rates now may be able to. Overall, it will cause a very quick firming of the housing market.

3. Dollar strengthening. Despite all the gloom and doom, I believe the dollar will begin to strengthen. Much more money, investment and available credit has been wiped out of our economy than the Fed has put back into it. Thus, if they actually still measured the money supply we would find that it has actually dropped. As foreigners realize this, American assets will start to climb in value. They will be buying our stocks, our real estate and anything dollar denominated to save them from their own plummeting currencies, thus driving up the prices of American assets, which in turn will spur more American Spending.

4. Wages and Inflation - for those with no real estate exposure we will only see increased spending. Wages are rising, albeit quite slowly. Prices are also rising for most of the goods a lower income household buys. Since generally they already spend everything they make, they will continue to spend everything they make plus any raises they get. And yes most employees still do get raises.

5. Presidential election - Presidential elections either bring the prospects of little change for those doing well or much change for those yearning to better. This will lead to great optimism for all as the year unfolds. Optimism and hope brings productivity. People will figure a way to make things better for themselves and the economy will benefit.

6. Everyone thinks things will get worse. When consensus is this strong in one direction things usually happen in the other direction. 2 years ago, everyone was saying that you could never lose money in real estate. I wanted to sell my home, but wife wouldn't let me because you have to live somewhere. But the point being, when everyone thinks sell, you need to buy. When everyone says buy, you need to sell.

These bubbles and subsequent crashes of various sorts happen about 20 times in the average person's lifetime. People don't understand that it is just a natural cycle and thus they make decisions that may haunt them for the rest of their lives. The world is not ending, the economy is far from dead, the dollar is not going to be worthless, so please make sure you think very hard and look at all the evidence before making a decision that will affect you for the rest of your lives. 30-40 years from now people will be talking about how they wished they would have stayed in stocks, they will still be waiting to get even on gold, they will be wallpapering their bathrooms with Euros, they will be ruing over the house they let go because they were upside down, and is now worth 10 times what they had owed on it.
1. You understand that the $150 billion for the stimulus plan is money we don't have right? We either have to borrow it, or create it out of thin air. Flooding the market with dollars just devalues every dollar currently in existance. You can't debase yourself into prosperity. It just doesn't work. Inflation leads to higher prices in gas, food, services like health care, and people have debt to pay back, so that makes it just that harder. You may say inflation really isn't that high, but I wouldn't quote inflation from the Fed. They use a flawed substitution based index method to measure inflation.

2. The Fed just cut interests rate today. That is highly inflationary. It would be a different story if we lent money we actually had, but we are printing more money out of thin air to lend when we lower the discount rate, and we are the world largest debtor. When you have a GDP based on 70% consumer purchasing, and you debase the dollar, you are really screwing yourself over. Plus the fact is people have debt to pay back, so I don't see people spending much. Plenty of people live pay check to pay check.

Good time for people to buy homes, bad time for people to pay off their debt. There was a 40% increase in bankruptcies filed in 07, even under stricter laws.

3. The last time M3 was published back in 06, inflation was at 13%. They measure inflation by the ol' if steak gets too expensive, people will buy hamburger method. You also understand when you flood the world with dollars, people invest them in things like bonds or commodities. I'm sure you have heard of Frank Veneroso, right? He gives an interesting argument on how he believes there is one. Doug Casey explains inflation (which is higher than the gov is telling us) is skewing the markets.

4. Inflation is around 15% according to M3. I know M3 isn't published anymore, but people can still measure it such as John W. Williams. People's income levels are not adjusting to real inflation. If you have money in a CD, you are losing about 5% a year. This is morally wrong, and if it works against our economy. We are taking the purchasing power away from the consumer the more inflation there is.

5. Politicians spend now, think about it never. We are currently $13 trillion in debt, and our entitlements will cost us $60 some trillion. It is not ok when we borrow $3 billion a day from foreign investors. I'd rather not be a slave to compound interests for the rest of my life. The "America" we know is not sustainable. There will come a day when there will be major changes, and it won't be pleasant.

6. I'll admit there is a lot of uncertainty, but I believe the route we are taking is very dangerous. If you can't borrow from the bank forever, what makes the US gov any different? If people stop investing in the dollar, our economy is going to grind to a halt. But back to the OP, I don't know how much losses these major banks have, but once we move forward we will know. The dollar is less and less a good place to invest in because of these problems.

There are normal business cycle, in fact a few cycles are lined up for this time. Periods of inflation followed by periods of deflation (sometimes a recession or a depression depending on the severity). Recessions are healthy, and I posted that in the OP, although if anyone knows I feel there are still some troubles looming. My main beef is our economy is more and more based on credit expansion. Sure, spending money you don't have stimulates the economy, but spending too much to the point you can't pay your debt back hurts. Our standard of living is much greater than our grandparents, but they didn't have negative equity in their homes.

I am investing my assets into gold and silver. If there were any stocks I would own, I'd own mining stocks. Any other stocks I would not touch with a 10 foot poll. Gold is a good safety net against inflation, and silver has a lot of potential, if not more. I don't think the Euro is a good investment, nor any fiat currency. I'm using the money God intended. Gold and silver.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6654
money out of thin air?  I thought machines make em.
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5971|Washington DC

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

money out of thin air?  I thought machines make em.
the ATM is a lie
Phrozenbot
+632|6625|do not disturb

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Public panic about a depression can lead to a depression, and could if the government wasn't able to lock trading down. Perhaps we should throw rotten fruit at the media, because sensationalizing a slump in the market is like throwing a jack-in-the-box in front of an uptight racehorse.

Of course, things could be better if, instead of this dumbass refund, the IRS would just ease up on the taxes and the government would drop unnecessary expenses (federal palaces, I'm talking about you).
Speculation can only do so much. I'll agree that speculation can build confidence in investors to invest more, and panic can make them sell, but that is such a simplistic view to say our media will lead to a depression. If anyone watched the video, Jame Turk is talking about losses we don't know about, and depending on how much they are, could be devastating. You can't speculate someones losses away, or our national debt, or the trade deficit.

However, stalling a recession by creating liquidity out of no where to pay off insolvency can lead to something worse.
dark110
+37|6632|Chicagoland
None the less, this is the natural cycle of the economic process. Its not the end of the world. We'll be fine.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6421|'Murka

usmarine wrote:

ATG wrote:

usmarine wrote:

I do.  And I foresee no problems, nor have any problems at the moment.  Its called not living with credit cards and not buy a lot of unnecessary shit.
I don't believe you.
k

Well you see, I do not own a bunch of crap.  I do not own jet skis, ATV's, motorcycles, guns, hot tubs, etc.  I have a modest house with no pool or anything like that.  Have a decent car, and big ass TV, and that's really about it.  I do not have any credit cards.  I do not have any fuel or department store cards.  I only buy what I need and try to keep the "extra" stuff to a minimum.  If I want something, I save up the cash for it and them buy it.  Simple concept really.
Why do you hate America?

If the rest of our country felt the way you do, our economy would be in much better shape.

As to the OP: THE SKY IS FALLING! THE SKY IS FALLING!

It's cyclical. The economy will dip and come right back. The Dow is up overall since the Crash. Long term investors will see any dip as an opportunity to buy more shares.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6726

Phrozenbot wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Speculation can only do so much. I'll agree that speculation can build confidence in investors to invest more, and panic can make them sell, but that is such a simplistic view to say our media will lead to a depression. If anyone watched the video, Jame Turk is talking about losses we don't know about, and depending on how much they are, could be devastating. You can't speculate someones losses away, or our national debt, or the trade deficit.

However, stalling a recession by creating liquidity out of no where to pay off insolvency can lead to something worse.
What financial company do you work for?    You seem to have it all figured out... maybe you could call the President and fix this devastating mess
Love is the answer
Phrozenbot
+632|6625|do not disturb

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

Phrozenbot wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

What financial company do you work for?    You seem to have it all figured out... maybe you could call the President and fix this devastating mess
You here to troll me, or provide a constructive argument?
topal63
. . .
+533|6728
My vote = Not good. Some serious problems, but can be dealt with.

Problem with this part though ---> "but can be dealt with" - the dealing with part rarely happens.
Phrozenbot
+632|6625|do not disturb

topal63 wrote:

My vote = Not good. Some serious problems, but can be dealt with.

Problem with this part though ---> "but can be dealt with" - the dealing with part rarely happens.
Thank you, I agree.
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6726
You say thy sky is falling and i was hoping you could post your solutions... so we can all get on the right track again...

Kinda sounds like you hope the US will crash and burn from your posts?
Love is the answer
Phrozenbot
+632|6625|do not disturb

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

You say thy sky is falling and i was hoping you could post your solutions... so we can all get on the right track again...

Kinda sounds like you hope the US will crash and burn from your posts?
I think I've spelled it out before, but I'm not about to explain it just so you can scoff at it.
URE_DED
BF2s US Server Admin
+76|6629|inside the recesses of your...
LOL, I wish we had all been defaulting on our student loans rather than our credit and mortgages.  At least we would have been sticking it to the gov't who has run this entire economic ship into the ground!

PureFodder
+225|6295
It's not going to be the cataclysm that some people seem to think, but it won't be a happy time. It may have some good things though as it may force things like healthcare, worker rights, immigration policy etc. to be sorted out properly. It's easier to ignore problems if the economy's doing well.
Phrozenbot
+632|6625|do not disturb

PureFodder wrote:

It's not going to be the cataclysm that some people seem to think, but it won't be a happy time. It may have some good things though as it may force things like healthcare, worker rights, immigration policy etc. to be sorted out properly. It's easier to ignore problems if the economy's doing well.
Don't think the gov will deal with things until things look really ugly in my opinion.
NantanCochise
+55|5988|Portugal/United States

usmarine wrote:

My economy is fine.  That is all I care about.
Yep, a little slump here and there never hurt anyone. Its a matter of policy for the government to make things look worse than they really are. The sheep that are the media love the calls of distress and are easily fooled into stiring chaos. The reality is that the economy is fine, a few bumps and that is it. There is nothing, even with the low dollar and mortgage problems to suggest that the economy will be permanently affected. If oil prices continue to rise, like it has recently, and it continues to affect the economy negitively I can only see a brighter future with less dependency on foreign oil and the use of renewable energy.
Phrozenbot
+632|6625|do not disturb

NantanCochise wrote:

usmarine wrote:

My economy is fine.  That is all I care about.
Yep, a little slump here and there never hurt anyone. Its a matter of policy for the government to make things look worse than they really are. The sheep that are the media love the calls of distress and are easily fooled into stiring chaos. The reality is that the economy is fine, a few bumps and that is it. There is nothing, even with the low dollar and mortgage problems to suggest that the economy will be permanently affected. If oil prices continue to rise, like it has recently, and it continues to affect the economy negitively I can only see a brighter future with less dependency on foreign oil and the use of renewable energy.
Wha? The government is trying to make the economy look bad? If the economy is good, politicians aren't doing anything wrong, and if the economy is bad, the gov starts coming under scrutiny. If anything they always try to make things look as good as possible. Once M3 reported inflation was higher than the Fed would like you to know, they stopped publishing it.

Did you watch the video by chance? James Turk points an interesting fact about how inflation is one reason gas has increased in price.

btw I would hardly call the Korelin economics report main stream. I don't watch the news on television much, but for the longest time it has been cheer leading for the economy.
HudsonFalcon
+20|5941|New York
I think it depends on what industry you're in.  I actually lost my job in the Insurance industry due to corporate down-sizing but now I'm in the ice cream machine business and it's booming.  I guess everyone loves ice cream more than insurance, well at least I do.

It just goes to show you that no matter what era you're in, and no matter how good or bad the economy is doing you'll always find people doing better that others.
Phrozenbot
+632|6625|do not disturb

HudsonFalcon wrote:

I think it depends on what industry you're in.  I actually lost my job in the Insurance industry due to corporate down-sizing but now I'm in the ice cream machine business and it's booming.  I guess everyone loves ice cream more than insurance, well at least I do.

It just goes to show you that no matter what era you're in, and no matter how good or bad the economy is doing you'll always find people doing better that others.
Really? I'm sorry. Yay for icecream though
..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6659
I heard something about McDonald's quarterly revenues not being as large as expected. Then some economist made the assumption that the US economy is not doing AS badly as is hyped up because people have yet to resort to cheap junk food.
HudsonFalcon
+20|5941|New York

Phrozenbot wrote:

HudsonFalcon wrote:

Really? I'm sorry. Yay for icecream though
Thanks for the sympathy but I hated that job and I'm thankful that I escaped that cubicle nightmare.  It's kind of ironic I guess, I went from denying claims to people in ill health to fattening people up with my products so they can be denied yet again by some other stiff in the future.  I guess no matter what career path I choose I'm part of the problem.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard