SpIk3y
Minister of Silly Walks
+67|6149|New Jersey
I just got a hard-on watching previews for Gran Turismo 5 and have decided that I must have a PS3.  When, if ever, will the whopping $400 entry-level price be lowered?  I did some googling but couldn't find any information on PS3 pricing in the future.
delta4bravo*nl*
Dutch Delight
+68|6762
make sure you have a HD LCD/Plasma TV the PS3 just rocks with one.
Grand tourismo is going to kick ass..
the price is likely going to stay a while on the current level..there might be a small drop this July/august.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6631|London, England
I would kill to get a PS3 for $400 or £200. Cheapest you can get it here is for about £280 ($560 - 40GB) and 60GB goes for about £350 ($700) but those are probably gone by now so it's 40GB or bust.
motherdear
+25|6661|Denmark/Minnesota (depends)
hehe, the starting price of the ps3 in denmark was $800 and honestly i think it's worth it, like if you want just near the same features as the ps3 in the xbox360 you got to pay a 100 bux extra

extras that the ps3 has

wireless controllers
improved disc drive
wifi
HD 1080p
60 gb harddisc (talking about the first model that came out)
internet (free on the ps3)

and i bet there is other stuff that i can not remember now.

and by the way i'm not saying this stuff to diss the xbox360 it's a decent machine but when people begin saying that t's much better when the only reason they say it is because it's cheaper but if you look at all specs, equipment and similar and compare it to the fully equiped xbox360 then it's actually cheaper and more powerfull.
Surgeons
U shud proabbly f off u fat prik
+3,097|6499|Gogledd Cymru

motherdear wrote:

hehe, the starting price of the ps3 in denmark was $800 and honestly i think it's worth it, like if you want just near the same features as the ps3 in the xbox360 you got to pay a 100 bux extra

extras that the ps3 has

wireless controllers
improved disc drive
wifi
HD 1080p
60 gb harddisc (talking about the first model that came out)
internet (free on the ps3)

and i bet there is other stuff that i can not remember now.

and by the way i'm not saying this stuff to diss the xbox360 it's a decent machine but when people begin saying that t's much better when the only reason they say it is because it's cheaper but if you look at all specs, equipment and similar and compare it to the fully equiped xbox360 then it's actually cheaper and more powerfull.
ELITE-UK
Scratching my back
+170|6484|SHEFFIELD, ENGLAND
Lmfao you think $400 is too much. Its a bargin.
justice
OctoPoster
+978|6751|OctoLand
The PS3 is worth it, just buy it....it fucking rocks.
I know fucking karate
SpIk3y
Minister of Silly Walks
+67|6149|New Jersey

ELITE-UK wrote:

It's all relative.

I've never had a next-gen console, so I have another question... what exactly is the hard drive for?  Do you install games on it like you would on a PC?  I have a PS2 so HD's in consoles is new to me.
Switch
Knee Deep In Clunge
+489|6473|Tyne & Wear, England
A whopping $400?  Mate what the fuck are you hesitating about, buy it, that's a bargain.

I bought my Playstation for a whopping entry price of $850, yes that was ridiculous, but I don't regret it.

I've had hours of fun with it, not to mention the fact that it's a 60GB console, you can't get a 60gig in the UK any more.

Last edited by KILLSWITCH (2008-01-25 19:17:28)

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
r'Eeee
That's how I roll, BITCH!
+311|6458

SpIk3y wrote:

ELITE-UK wrote:

It's all relative.

I've never had a next-gen console, so I have another question... what exactly is the hard drive for?  Do you install games on it like you would on a PC?  I have a PS2 so HD's in consoles is new to me.
Downloadable content from the PS store (Demos, full games, PS1 games, trailers, themes, wallpapers ect...)
Music,
Save games.
Tehremos
Parcel of ol' Crams
+128|6418|Somersetshire
$400, you gotta be shitting me

that is so cheap, look what you are getting for the price, here in the UK it's like double that
stef10
+173|6492|Denmark
in denmark the 40gb version is at 300 £
TGMaverick
+16|6240
I bought an 80 GB PS3 just before Christmas, and I love it.  Only drawback that it has (IMO) is that Sony took out the Emotion Engine hardware and replaced it with software, so PS1 and PS2 games don't have 100% backwards compatability anymore.  What's even worse is that the 40 GB model has absolutely zero backwards compatability.

The only reason that it's a drawback for me is that my PS2 took a shit about 1 1/2 years ago, and I didn't want to have to buy another one.

IF you can still find a 60 GB model, it has the Emotion Engine hardware chip, so full backwards compatability is assured.
FlemishHCmaniac
+147|6422|Belgium

TGMaverick wrote:

What's even worse is that the 40 GB model has absolutely zero backwards compatability.
Dear god, I hope you're wrong. The only thing you can get around here is 40 GB and I have been waiting for the price to drop a bit (currently 400 €) but if there's no backward compatibility I'll just wait till the price takes a huge dive in the coming year...

Edit: fuck, after wiki'ing for it, it seems you're right. Only the 20 and 60 GB versions have PS2 compatibility and I don't think they have the 20 version over here.

Last edited by FlemishHCmaniac (2008-01-26 04:33:04)

Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6559|UK

FlemishHCmaniac wrote:

TGMaverick wrote:

What's even worse is that the 40 GB model has absolutely zero backwards compatability.
Dear god, I hope you're wrong. The only thing you can get around here is 40 GB and I have been waiting for the price to drop a bit (currently 400 €) but if there's no backward compatibility I'll just wait till the price takes a huge dive in the coming year...

Edit: fuck, after wiki'ing for it, it seems you're right. Only the 20 and 60 GB versions have PS2 compatibility and I don't think they have the 20 version over here.
Its especially anoying since there is no technical (as in hardware) reason for it, there simply gimping the 40GB machine to make the higher capacity models more attractive.  Maybe there is a crack firmware out, but, officially, PS3 40GB CANT play PS2. 

That said though, when people buy a new gen machine, I think there more likely buying it to play the new games, rather than there older ones :\

My PS2 has been gathering dust for over 3 years, and I still have no inclination to bring it back for a blast of say, GTA 3

Martyn
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6726
Good hardware but shitty games.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6463|The Twilight Zone
400€ for the 40gig, 500€ for the 60gig here. With 2 joypads and 2 games.
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard