Naturn
Deeds, not words.
+311|6615|Greenwood, IN
U.S. taxpayers would get checks of several hundred dollars from the federal government under a plan to stimulate the economy, congressional and Bush administration officials said Thursday.
art.pelosi.cnn.jpg

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson, right, and House Minority Leader John Boehner announce the package Thursday.

"Tens of millions Americans will have a check in the mail," House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-California, said at a Capitol Hill news conference. "It is there to strengthen the middle class, to create jobs and to turn this economy around."

House Minority Leader John Boehner, R-Ohio, said, "I'm looking for quick action in the House. I hope that the Senate will follow quickly so that we can put this money in the hands of middle-income Americans as soon as possible."

Speaking a few minutes later at the White House, President Bush said the package will "boost our economy and encourage job creation."

Sources on Capitol Hill and at the Treasury Department said the plan would send checks of $600 to individuals and $1,200 to couples who paid income tax and who filed jointly.

People who did not pay federal income taxes but who had earned income of more than $3,000 would get checks of $300 per individual or $600 per couple.

A Democratic aide and Republican aide said there will be an additional amount per child, which could be in the neighborhood of $300.

Those who earn up to $75,000 individually or up to $150,000 as a couple will be eligible for the payments, said Republican and Democratic sources familiar with the tentative deal.
Don't Miss

* CNN/Money: Deficit expected to reach $250 billion
    * Bush: 'Common ground' possible on stimulus plan
    * CNN/Money: Bloomberg: Stimulus plan shortsighted
    * CNN/Money: Juicing the economy will come at a cost

Pelosi said as many as 116 million American families will get a rebate check.

Checks could be in taxpayer mailboxes by June, according to an Associated Press report.

The agreement includes a robust package of business incentives and help for homeowners facing possible mortgage foreclosures.

The Treasury Department still must analyze the numbers to determine the price tag of the stimulus package, sources said.

To get to the agreement, Democrats dropped calls for increases in food stamps and an extension of unemployment compensation. Republicans agreed to allow people who pay Social Security taxes but not income taxes to get the checks, sources said.

"This package has the right set of policies and is the right size," Bush said Thursday. "The incentives in this package will lead to higher consumer spending and increased business investment this year."

He added, "This package recognizes that lowering taxes is a powerful and efficient way to help consumers and businesses."

The stimulus package may face resistance from fiscal conservatives in both parties over worries that it would increase the federal debt. Auditors report that the federal deficit -- the difference between what the government takes in and what it spends -- is increasing.

The nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office estimated Wednesday the deficit would jump to $250 billion, mainly because of a weakening economy. That estimate does not include any additional spending that would be part of a stimulus package.

The proposal is intended to address economic worries stemming from a worldwide credit crunch created by the mortgage crisis and plunging stock markets. The president proposed the package last week. Video Watch a debate on whether the U.S. is heading into a recession ยป
advertisement

Officials in both parties credited Paulson, the former Goldman Sachs executive known for a shrewd grasp of the markets, with pushing the package aggressively.

"He's been on the phone with practically every member of Congress -- some of them a few times," one Senate Republican aide said. "He's not fooling around."
[ Full Story ]

YAY! $600 on top of the $1000 I just got back. Sweet!!!

- Naturn

Edit: URL Error

Last edited by Brizzzer (2008-01-24 13:22:21)

Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6630|London, England
Reminds me of a Futurama episode when everyone got a $300 bill or something from the Gov and the $1 store became a $300 store
Zilla
Killa of threads
+122|6651|7th level of hell

I've seen in the paper it would be upwards of $800.
T.Pike
99 Problems . . .
+187|6292|Pennsyltucky

Zilla wrote:

I've seen in the paper it would be upwards of $800.
Everything I've read says $600 per average tax payer or $1,200 per couple.

Extra money for kids.

They start deducting money if you made over $75,000 last year
Ricerckt93
+69|6662
That's great news for me.

Approx:   $1200 + $900 (3 Kids) is $2100 - Credit Card = Paid in Full!!!!
loubot
O' HAL naw!
+470|6587|Columbus, OH
No debts other than a car payment. I will save my check unless I get the Upgrade Bug.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6630|London, England
If this happens all that will happen is that stores will raise their prices, you know, that whole inflation shit.
Dersmikner
+147|6507|Texas
I can 100% guarantee you that I won't get JACK SHIT. I'll be lucky if they don't raise my taxes to pay for everyone else's happy-funtime check.
jsnipy
+3,276|6531|...

Cool. I also get to claim my windows, but i have to wait to file after Feb 11.
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6745|Salt Lake City

Dersmikner wrote:

I can 100% guarantee you that I won't get JACK SHIT. I'll be lucky if they don't raise my taxes to pay for everyone else's happy-funtime check.
Did you say you owned your own company?  About $50B of the roughly $150B package is for businesses.
Dersmikner
+147|6507|Texas
Mmm... delicious.

My one problem with this is that with these giveaways many (if not most) people pay off existing debt, or save the money. What we SHOULD do is send those giveaways out as Debit Cards that can only be used to purchase consumer goods. That will stimulate the economy. They're talking about a .7% jump in GDP, but it doesn't work. People save the money or pay off credit card or other loan debt. We'll be lucky to get a.3% boost. The government should either buy a bunch of shit itself, or give out cards that can only be used at merchants. Some people will find a way to cheat anyway but we'll get a hell of a lot bigger jump.

By the way, anything that comes back to the business owner is okay by me. We've been taking it in the ass forever.
Locoloki
I got Mug 222 at Gritty's!!!!
+216|6649|Your moms bedroom
gimme my 600, plus the 5000 you owe me in tax refund... woohooo beeeaaaattttcccchhh!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Locoloki (2008-01-25 08:49:57)

TrollmeaT
Aspiring Objectivist
+492|6682|Colorado
Nice, I missed out on the last bonus check. I'll spend it all on my new house.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard