Microwave
_
+515|6657|Loughborough Uni / Leeds, UK

Funky_Finny wrote:

james@alienware wrote:

I was speaking to my friend today about experiences of 'the urge' with referance to when you stand at the top of something high (cliff, building) and you suddenly want to jump....

I read somewhere a few months back that it is to do with your brain mistaking the huge fall as an escape route. As it automatically plans ways to get away from any situation you're in.

I sadly couldn't find what I read before after some googling so if anyone could point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated.
By any chance were you reading MBUK?
I read the same passage.
Haha no, I'd completly forgotten about that. I vaugly do remember it now, with Martin Ashton right? 

Yeah, complete coincidence!
Skorpy-chan
+127|6347|Twyford, UK
'If I overtake these idiot pedestrians here, I'll end up on the grass, and I've seen chunks of that fall off into the river. I might drown with all this metal on me.'
'If I go that way, I'll hit a car. If I go the other way I'll be hit by oncoming traffic. Oh shit, that guy's sticking out, I'm gonna hit him if I don't brake.'
'If that bus moves, it'll hit me. Oh shit it's moving get the hell out the way fucking psycho bus drivers!'

I retuned my urge-to-jump into a danger sense. I have a very strong survival instinct.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6623|London, England
Another example I had was when I was driving yesterday, along a country lane, and I remember seeing a sign (irrelevent) and just thinking.... if i turned the wheel hard right now, I could kill myself....easily, it was a really strange thought path, that only lasted a few seconds but was pretty scary.
When I've been waiting for the train on the undergroud, you don't know how many times I've thought "i could just jump right now in front of that shit" - It's weird and disturbing and so I always stand as far away from the platform edge just incase (and incase some dik 'ed tries to push me on the tracks) :p

I aint suicidle at all, but, I know what you mean
Microwave
_
+515|6657|Loughborough Uni / Leeds, UK

Mek-Izzle wrote:

Another example I had was when I was driving yesterday, along a country lane, and I remember seeing a sign (irrelevent) and just thinking.... if i turned the wheel hard right now, I could kill myself....easily, it was a really strange thought path, that only lasted a few seconds but was pretty scary.
When I've been waiting for the train on the undergroud, you don't know how many times I've thought "i could just jump right now in front of that shit" - It's weird and disturbing and so I always stand as far away from the platform edge just incase (and incase some dik 'ed tries to push me on the tracks) :p

I aint suicidle at all, but, I know what you mean
Yeah it's strange, I keep agreeing to these examples everyone else has said but I guess we are all going to have similar instincs...I assume!

Your example was exactly what I do though, exactly the same!
ghettoperson
+1,943|6651

james@alienware wrote:

Funky_Finny wrote:

james@alienware wrote:

I was speaking to my friend today about experiences of 'the urge' with referance to when you stand at the top of something high (cliff, building) and you suddenly want to jump....

I read somewhere a few months back that it is to do with your brain mistaking the huge fall as an escape route. As it automatically plans ways to get away from any situation you're in.

I sadly couldn't find what I read before after some googling so if anyone could point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated.
By any chance were you reading MBUK?
I read the same passage.
Haha no, I'd completly forgotten about that. I vaugly do remember it now, with Martin Ashton right? 

Yeah, complete coincidence!
Dirt is clearly where it's at.
CanadianLoser
Meow :3 :3
+1,148|6509
i sometimes think to myself when driving "I could serve into the other lane and kill me, my passangers and everyone in their car"  its a weird thought...

also, if i find myself where i could control keeping someone alive like if i walk behind someone and im going down the stairs i think "i could push them down and really hurt them, or the knife one, or if i'm walking beside someone and they are beside a road, im on the outside, i think "i could push them into traffic and they could and probably will die..."

odd thoughts, scary too, but i'm glad i'm not alone
Ryan
+1,230|6845|Alberta, Canada

You guys are emo's at heart, I can tell.
_PQWeR_AuRoRa_olly
+22|6512|Surrey, United Kingdom
haha wtf i am the same too! the whole jumping in front of cars/ trains things...

or like if im in the supermarket with a big tin of baked beans i wana throw it somewhere just to see what happens...

weird stuff eh!
Home
Section.80
+447|6849|Seattle, Washington, USA

I don't really get it with jumping in fronts of cars or stabbing myself, but that urge to jump off a tall ledge happens to me. For me, it's more about a curiousity of what it would feel like. I get the urge to experience the freefall. I should try skydiving sometime.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6768|UK
Its just the will to get adrenaline. I would love to basejump or something, ive paraglided and that was fucking brilliant.
eaglecorps
shotguns
+23|6246|TEXAS
H.A.L.O. jumps are MAD FUN! and for all you non-military persons that stands for High Altitude Low Oxygen jumps. It's like skydiving to the max. That's a perfect example of "if you dont have that "urge" to jump, then you wont". Like vilham said it's the need to get the rush. I too have this "urge" and I have come to believe by reading this thread it affects us all but in different ways. Funky-Finny said he doesn't have it anymore but perhaps it does in the long run by influencing his decisions in a "behind the scenes" kind of way.

However as was also afore mentioned some people have this "urge" and it acts on them in such a strong way as to make them act on these urges without thought or filter thus the person is classified as a diseased person. In short it does affect us all but in different ways and strengths.

Last edited by eaglecorps (2008-01-24 19:56:41)

TeamOrange
Don't be that guy
+84|6313
ya im doing hw right now and right when i read that i was like, if i take this pen and shove it at down my leg, that will really hurt"
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6531|Global Command
I get the reverse. I'd think about pushing you off if you were standing next to me. Heh.

I'll be standing in a crowd of people and I'll think to myself; " I could get a good grab at his adams apple and yank his larynx right out. Maybe his tongue would come with it. " Or, I'll see a woman with a skinny neck and I'll imagine how easy it would be to lop her head off.
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
+362|6158|Vancouver | Canada
I always get that when I walk over a certain bridge.

Not to kill myself though. Just to see what it's like.

It's not exactly a high bridge.
Ben0
The Last Gunslinger
+38|6376|Southampton

DefCon-17 wrote:

I always get that when I walk over a certain bridge.

Not to kill myself though. Just to see what it's like.

It's not exactly a high bridge.
Yea, Thats why I want to try basejumping. The thrill of chucking yourself off a cliff/building etc. but without the death...

IMO basejumping>skydiving
T.Pike
99 Problems . . .
+187|6284|Pennsyltucky

I'm not crazy about heights in general.

I used to go to Thomas Jefferson hospital in Philadelphia and get totally freaked out waiting for the elevators.

The one buiding had a ground to roof center atrium about 20 stories tall.

At the elevators the walls would come to waist high then glass from there to about 3 feet beore the next floor.

Looking through the glass i was OK, but if I looked up and saw that gap in the glass my knees would literally buckle.

Never could understand why.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6108|eXtreme to the maX
I too am scared of heights, not of falling but jumping.
It could be due to regular dreams of being able to fly.
A small fall, then flying. Weird.

The above seems to be embedded in the psyche of many people across the world.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
BlackKoala
+215|6327

eaglecorps wrote:

H.A.L.O. jumps are MAD FUN! and for all you non-military persons that stands for High Altitude Low Oxygen jumps. It's like skydiving to the max. That's a perfect example of "if you dont have that "urge" to jump, then you wont". Like vilham said it's the need to get the rush. I too have this "urge" and I have come to believe by reading this thread it affects us all but in different ways. Funky-Finny said he doesn't have it anymore but perhaps it does in the long run by influencing his decisions in a "behind the scenes" kind of way.

However as was also afore mentioned some people have this "urge" and it acts on them in such a strong way as to make them act on these urges without thought or filter thus the person is classified as a diseased person. In short it does affect us all but in different ways and strengths.
Uhhh.....I thought it was 'High Altitude Low Opening"...
Ben0
The Last Gunslinger
+38|6376|Southampton

BlackKoala wrote:

eaglecorps wrote:

Lol... it is. "High Altitude Low Oxygen jumps." wouldnt be fun... you would die anyway.
Snorkelfarsan
Soup Boy
+32|6608|Stockholm, Sweden
I got to shoot a Colt .45 (M1911) at my Godmothers fathers house when I was there over christmas. Fired two shots out in to the Potomac river. (Which was really fun of course) The point is though that afterwards I caught myself thinking that I could easily have just shot my Godmother, her father and his wife. (And myself) Just like that... It's wierd.
And I have fired gund and rifles before in the army but I never thought about what I actually could do.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6531|Global Command
This thread is weird.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6623|London, England

ATG wrote:

This thread is weird.
you're weird

I got my eye on you, I saw that post before. My paranoia of people like you, will outdo your will to randomly kill chumps like me

Ok, now this thread is weird.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6651

BlackKoala wrote:

eaglecorps wrote:

Wikipedia tells me it 'High Altitude-Low Output' and conversely High Output. However I'd always previously heard Low Opening. But the main point here is that he's wrong, and so is most likely talking completely out of his ass.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6413|'Murka

Weirdly enough...wikipedia is wrong.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
kn0ckahh
+98|6740|netherlands, sweet lake city
I tried to kill myself by holding my breath... didn't work I'm a bad emo

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard