Poll

Right or wrong?

Right, teaches kids to obey68%68% - 100
Wrong, makes kids violent31%31% - 46
Total: 146
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6469|The Land of Scott Walker
Listening to talk radio I heard that a CA assembly member Sally Lieber proposed an anti-spanking bill regarding children 3 years of age and under.    Punishment would have been a year in jail or $1,000 fine. 

http://cbs5.com/local/spanking.ban.cali … 51523.html

At the parenting classes at Parent's Place, spanking is considered the wrong discipline. Lee Ann Slaton leads discipline classes there. She said, "It teaches a child, if you're bigger you can hit. Violence begets violence.. and they're not learning."
---------------
Personally I think Sally and Lee Ann are full of it.  Spanking never hurt me and it did not cause me to become a violent person.  What's your opinion?  Is spanking ok?  Does it cause kids to become violent?
kptk92
u
+972|6432|tc_london
Wrong, makes kids violent
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6471|Chicago, IL
Personally, spanking never really did anything to me, but i have seen some parents go over the top, so it's kinda hard for me to decide, since the line between spanking and beating isn't all that clear.  Null vote...
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6867|Reykjavík, Iceland.
Definitely wrong, the best way to discipline kids isn't to to anything bad to them, but to take something good away instead.
Stingray24

S.Lythberg wrote:

Personally, spanking never really did anything to me, but i have seen some parents go over the top, so it's kinda hard for me to decide, since the line between spanking and beating isn't all that clear.  Null vote...
There certainly is a line between spanking and beating.  Spanking is always on the rear and usually involves a switch or paddle.  Beating would probably involve striking a child anywhere but the rear or with a closed fist.  THAT is abuse, in my opinion proper spanking is not.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6781|Argentina
Is it wrong to spank a 20 years old blonde girl?  That's for another debate.  I think you teach kids better if you explain they did something wrong, not spanking them.  But I don't know much about this since my kid is 3 months old and I never had to discipline him yet.
Bull3t
stephen brule
+83|6326
Bullshit, If I was hit hard enough I learned not to do it again.

Last edited by Bull3t (2008-01-16 08:48:57)

weasel_thingo
+74|6350
my neighbourhood property value has gone up quite recently and all the new little kids are posh rich little fucks that do whatever they want and their parents let them (or send them to their room, which is full of toys and shit, also they get grounded yet they constantly leave anyway, just to get grounded again). me and my friend were walking the dog and they ran up to it and hit it in the face with a shovel, what could we do?
their parents are idiots who would back up their kids who will lie and say, it never happend or that we told the dog to bite them (or some other bull shit), and we cant do anything to them.
anyways these kids kept pissing me off and tried hitting me with a golf clubs when i road past on my bike, they are fucking weak though and i caught it and they held on and it pulled them down and the bitch cut her self (she told her mum that i pushed her apparently, and i was supposed to go up and speak to her but i couldnt be fucked), then one weekend the little fucks were outside my house with golf clubs again shouting my name (they are still to stupid to realise from the last few months they are to weak for me) so i got my glove gun, and aimed one and shot out my window, hit one right in the back of the head, broke the skin, they wernt quite sure if it was me as they didnt see me, but they dont bother me anymore.

long story short
violence works
Stingray24

sergeriver wrote:

Is it wrong to spank a 20 years old blonde girl?  That's for another debate.  I think you teach kids better if you explain they did something wrong, not spanking them.  But I don't know much about this since my kid is 3 months old and I never had to discipline him yet.
Congrats, Serge!  I didn't know you were a father.  At 3 months old your son doesn't understand right and wrong, he's concerned with eating, sleeping, and filling and overfilling diapers.  

I have a 4 1/2 year old son and a 16 month old daughter.  My wife and I set boundaries and give our son a couple chances to obey.  If he's defiant and won't listen, he gets a timeout.  That usually works.  However, if the behavior continues, we make sure we're calm and not emotional and explain to him why he has to be disciplined.  Then he get swats with a flexible spatula.  We do not use our hand because we do not want him to be afraid of our touch in any way.  My parents did something similar, but they used a wooden spoon and I was never afraid of them, but I sure didn't like the sight of the spoon!  It is not pleasant and I'd rather not spank my child, but when they are defiant and will not listen, timeouts and taking away toys simply do not work ... appropriate spanking does.
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6549|South Florida
I was spanked, and im willing to bet everyone on this forum was spanked as a child and they turned out fine.
It's bullshit, and its the pussification of americas young adults.
15 more years! 15 more years!
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5985|Washington DC
I was never spanked, I live in what many would consider a somewhat well-off home... and I'm a pretty well-functioning member of society. I know the value of money.

Some may need it, some (like me) don't. I hope I don't have kids that need a spanking, I'd say it'd be downright awkward to spank a little kid.

Now, spanking your girlfriend on the other hand...
CameronPoe
+2,925|6579
I'm not a father but I would imagine that a simple penalisation/reward system will discipline the child without the need for you to strike them. "If you're good you get to stay up late" or "If you're good you get a sweet" and "If you're bad your playstation gets locked in the cupboard for 3 days", etc.

FTR, I was never spanked.

As for whether spanking induces a violent streak in a child I'd say that's probably bullshit (unless perhaps you were a bit overzealous with them).

Last edited by CameronPoe (2008-01-16 09:13:36)

deeznutz1245
Connecticut: our chimps are stealin yo' faces.
+483|6517|Connecticut
A child needs to be disciplined. I have spanked my son twice and it is obvious that he is afraid to receive a third. My wife says "no" a hundred times and he does it anyways. When I Say "no" I give him a stern look and he finds something else to do other than what he was about to. I don't think spanking should hurt badly, it should be just enough of an ass smack to convince them that there are repercussions to their actions. When you spank to hurt that is crossing the line and the child will associate violence with control. Also, what you do as a parent AFTER the spank is crucial. Don't whack your kid and scream at them only to walk away and expect they understood your childish rant. You as the adult must remain calm and show/ explain why their behavior is inappropriate so they learn why they were reprimanded. That will teach them right from wrong with consequences.
Malloy must go
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6670
I was spanked a little as a young child. That said I've never been in a fight in my life or struck another human being with the intention of causing any significant damage.

"It teaches a child, if you're bigger you can hit. Violence begets violence.. and they're not learning." - What an unjustified claim.
Magpie
international welder....Douchebag Dude, <3 ur mom
+257|6550|Milkystania, yurop
No spanking allowed here its been banned since 1975 in think
Unzombified_Zombie
I'm a furry, get over it :3
+9|6187|Grantham, England
I was spanked, big fucking deal.

It's just the government trying to be politically correct.
RoosterCantrell
Goodbye :)
+399|6504|Somewhere else

I was spanked, got the point across.  I was never BEATEN though.  Fine line.

I think the existance of spanking (within reason) through out time shows that it is effective.

The people who think spanking makes kids violent are in the same catagory of people that accuse video games or music for making kids violent.

I was spanked, Listened to Nine Inch Nails, Ministry, played Wolfenstien 3-D and Doom, and may have been in one or two fights my whole life. I ended up being a pretty well rounded person.

The point is is that spanking may be a bad thing, if it goes too far, and is one of the many other things wrong with the childs home life, culminating into a violent person.

Last edited by RoosterCantrell (2008-01-16 09:36:08)

IRONCHEF
+385|6515|Northern California
Spanking is an invaluable tool of discipline.  When overused, it becomes the wrong tool...which will lead to disrespect, possibly violent behavior, and will accomplish the opposite effects intended.  When used correctly (the right frequency), when there's no other solution, is definately ok.

When you're at the supermarket, getting out of the minivan, trying to load your 2 year old into the shopping cart and the 7 year old is keeping her hands on the minivan until it's safe to walk with mommy and papa into the store..and the 4 year old who has the pattern of darting away from your grasp suddenly bolts towards traffic..and doesn't respond to your voice...yes, that's the time to give them a decent whack.  Not a whack that breaks bones, causes bleeding or welts on their skin..but the attention getting kind.

I employed such a disciplinary tool just two nights ago in the above scenario.  And the retarded assembly leader's best wishes for me as a parent to "discuss" with my 4 year old son why he shouldn't dart into traffic have already failed..and the spanking worked. 

Honestly, when the spanking doesn't work, it's a matter of time before the lessons are learned...ie., my 4 year old son will become 5 soon and he'll likely start listening better and obeying commands to keep his hands on the car or holding a parent's hand when unloading at the supermarket.  This is the lesson we use as the last resort when spanking doesn't work....let them grow out of said behavior..ever so patiently..because spanking doesn't always work.

Oh, I forgot an even MORE IMPORTANT part of disciplining children that our family uses.  Being Mormon, we follow the doctrinal principle of following up such discipline with an increase in love and affection after a childs been in trouble.  For example, after said spanking as outlined above, later in the store when things are calmed down, a loving embrace and gentle talking to from me to my son takes place where he further learns why not to jump into traffic and why papa hates to spank him, and he's sorry for doing it and how papa loves his son so much and all that...  This is the difference in what the retarded assembly woman will never fathom...spanking will not cause violence if you apply this principle of follow up.

Last edited by IRONCHEF (2008-01-16 09:39:31)

steelie34
pub hero!
+603|6405|the land of bourbon
im living proof that spanking doesn't make kids violent. so i say, slap the little fucker till he listens.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/36e1d9e36ae924048a933db90fb05bb247fe315e.png
jord
+2,382|6702|The North, beyond the wall.

steelie34 wrote:

im living proof that spanking doesn't make kids violent. so i say, slap the little fucker till he listens.
No you're not. You're living proof spanking didn't make you violent.
IRONCHEF
+385|6515|Northern California

steelie34 wrote:

True that.  I was not raised in a loving mormon home which applied the principle of loving follow up..i was whacked with a belt on my bare but several times and it did it's intended teaching.  Sure I felt beat upon by my parents, but i learned not to swear at them or whatever..and I didn't become a violent psychopath.
siciliano732
+202|6673|New York

IRONCHEF wrote:

steelie34 wrote:

True that.  I was not raised in a loving mormon home which applied the principle of loving follow up..i was whacked with a belt on my bare butt several times and it did it's intended teaching.  Sure I felt beat upon by my parents, but i learned not to swear at them, lie, or whatever..and I didn't become a violent psychopath.
"Spare the rod, spoil the child"

Last edited by siciliano732 (2008-01-16 09:44:10)

daddyofdeath
A REAL Combat Engineer in the house
+187|6277|UK Bradford W,Yorks. Age 27

PBAsydney wrote:

Definitely wrong, the best way to discipline kids isn't to to anything bad to them, but to take something good away instead.
Like their legs!
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6566|Texas - Bigger than France
It's effective if used sparingly.  If it's the only form of punishment its wrong - first reason is eventually the kid knows spanking is ineffective.

We use timeouts & taking stuff away temporarily.  For those who don't have kids, trust me - once they can walk they push every boundary.

Right now everything with my kids is a negotiation:
eat your food
no
eat your food now
i don't like it
that's all your getting
i want "insert food not on the table"
that's what we're having
i don't like it
try it
(licks) yuck
you ate this last night
i'll eat one
no you'll eat it all
no one
here, eat this six pieces
no four
okay four
(eats) can i have candy?
no, time for bed.
i don't want to
...and so on

So we just put more food on their plate and I eat what's leftover since it happens frequently.  Occassionally we just take it away/timeout/pout and then eat.  Trust me you don't want to go done the line of "eat it and you'll get candy".  The wife did that, and I disagreed.  But sometimes it just takes too much effort to set the boundary.

It ain't always like that though - only about a third of the time.
David.P
Banned
+649|6298
Null. Punishment did not make me any less of bad kid. Infact the fear of punishment didn't instill in me till 13.

But the thrill of punishing has been inside me for a long long time.(By punishing i mean torture)

Last edited by David.P (2008-01-16 10:10:42)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard