klassekock
Proud Born Loser
+68|6594|Sweden
Hello everybody!

As some of you might know i'm married to a cuban woman. We've been having some trouble getting her to leave the country. It turns out that if a cuban citizen required a education by the government, they have a obligation to work  for five years before they can leave the country. We had some hopes to somehow get through these regulations with the help of some money, but it turns out it wasn't that easy.

As things are progressing right now we need to wait another two years before she can leave Cuba and come to live with me in Sweden. With my current situation at work ( as a painter) i can manage/afford seeing her two or three times a year.

So my question to you guys are:

What suggestions do you have to keep a long distance relationship going for this long? I know i love her and she loves me. We are both adults (33 and 27)  but it's still hard.
Some suggestions please....
~{TPP}~richoxon
I Want a New Duck
+43|6575|Up a tree
move to cuba for a few years, then all move back to sweden
Major.League.Infidel
Make Love and War
+303|6485|Communist Republic of CA, USA
Kidnap her
geNius
..!.,
+144|6450|SoCal
Out of curiosity, were you physically ill when you decided to marry someone you could only see a few times a year?  Long distance is to marriage as jumbo is to shrimp.
https://srejects.com/genius/srejects.png
klassekock
Proud Born Loser
+68|6594|Sweden
I thought about that but the problem is i can't work and make any money while i stay there. A normal salary for a worker therm is 15 dollar a month.
Therefore i would need to save up at least 20 000 dollars in the bank to have a at least decent life for us there. it would probably take me two years to save up that amount of money so unfortunately that is not an option.
klassekock
Proud Born Loser
+68|6594|Sweden

geNius wrote:

Out of curiosity, were you physically ill when you decided to marry someone you could only see a few times a year?  Long distance is to marriage as jumbo is to shrimp.
No i wasn't  ill. By that time the law said she needed to wait a maximum of three years but recently they changed the law. Don't ask me why. It's a communist country. At the same time i as think it's fucked up i can still understand them. Of course they don't want people getting their education for free and then move. The problem is it's against the law to pay for her education as well.

I need some solid advice to keep a relationship alive with this kind of distance. We talk on the phone approximately once a week and send text messages on the mobile phone almost daily.

But is there something else i can do?

https://img246.imageshack.us/img246/629/pc030015uo5.jpg
By klassekock

I would do anything for her and i love her endlessly. We complete each other. 

I realize this sounds all crazy to some of you, but i'm 33 years old and i have some experience of when it feels right. To me it doesn't matter if she was spanish, ukranian or british. I would still have married her. We want kids for christs sake!

Last edited by klassekock (2008-01-12 13:36:43)

ghettoperson
+1,943|6657

Talk to her a lot via something like Skype, so you can still see each other. And I'm not saying it won't work for you, but I know a number of people that have been in the same situation (well, without the crazy Cuban laws thing) and it's never worked, ever.
Metal-Eater-GR
I can haz titanium paancakez?
+490|6280
As ghetto quoted above,get skype,or download MSN.
suomalainen_äijä
+64|6173
that's great man
deeznutz1245
Connecticut: our chimps are stealin yo' faces.
+483|6500|Connecticut
Where/ how did you meet.
Malloy must go
CameronPoe
+2,925|6563

Metal-Eater-GR wrote:

As ghetto quoted above,get skype,or download MSN.
My experience of the Cuban internet, and the expensiveness to ordinary Cubans thereof, makes the idea a complete non-runner. I used to go out with a Panamanian girl and we only got to see each other a few times a year - it was tough, and it eventually ended because of my frustration. You're going to need to be incredibly strong-minded to make this work, the best bet is moving there. I've a buddy who's going out with a girl from India and they seem to be going strong so it can work. My girlfriend right now is Canadian but thankfully she lives and works in Ireland. She's in Canada right now for Christmas and we use Skype, MSN and international phone cards to keep in touch. A webcam really makes a difference in a long distance relationship but, as I said, I don't think that's a runner in Cuba.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2008-01-12 15:15:36)

De_Jappe
Triarii
+432|6535|Belgium

skype/webcam and so eases the pain indeed, but will still be hard. but it's cheap and you can see/hear eachother.
Might consider going there for the next 2 years, live at hers. Then after two years go to sweden.
As it will only be 2 more years, you might go on like this for another two years and then move in together.

obviously, that's not considering the "order some cuban cigars and let her hide in the box"-plan.
mikkel
+383|6609
My fiancée is studying in the US, so I can sympathise with your situation. We still manage to spend a quarter of every year together, though. Typically I use my five weeks of vacation plus the free week over the holidays to spend about a month and a half in the US, three weeks in spring and three weeks during the holidays, and she spends a month and a few weeks here in Denmark when she's out over the summer, and that works just fine for us.

I don't know how your financial situation is, but it has never really felt terribly expensive to me. I just have to have a low key month after getting the tickets, and that's all of the economic woes I have.

There's nothing that tests commitment like a long distance relationship, and nothing that reaffirms affection like meeting up every few months as opposed to a few times a week or more, but it still does require that you see eachother at least two or three times a year. Long distance relationships only work if you have certain dates to look forward to, and certain goals to work towards, as the status quo in a relationship like that inherently sucks, and isn't something you want to sit around enjoying.
D6717C
Anger is a gift
+174|6640|Sin City

Isn't Castro about to kick the bucket? You think that will make a difference?
CameronPoe
+2,925|6563

D6717C wrote:

Isn't Castro about to kick the bucket? You think that will make a difference?
Nope.
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6654
In all seriousness sneak her out. 27 years old and the government won't let her leave is utter crap.
konfusion
mostly afk
+480|6557|CH/BR - in UK

Skype/msn/any other communication service.

-konfusion
klassekock
Proud Born Loser
+68|6594|Sweden
I'm sorry i didn't answer any of your posts, but i had to go out of town for work for some time. Thanks for all suggestions, but when it comes to using the Internet I have to quote CameronPoe.

" It's a non runner"

She only have connection in the local Internet cafe and that is for tourists only. She can go to another place to write and read e-mail only, but it's always crowded and the waiting can be for hours just to read her inbox.

@ deeznuts1245. We met in 2004 When i made i fishing trip to Cuba. I have a Cuban friend and my wife attended a party at his girlfriends house.

As for moving and living in Cuba it's not really possible either. If i can get a temporary visa, i still can't work over there. A normal salary for a Cuban citizen is 15 dollars/month and that is not sufficient. And sadly to say i don't have enough money in the bank to live there without working for two years.
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6679|UK
how about looking into less legal methods?
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
Bull3t
stephen brule
+83|6309
I honestly have no advice here.

But I do wish you the best of luck.
klassekock
Proud Born Loser
+68|6594|Sweden

m3thod wrote:

how about looking into less legal methods?
That's what we have been trying for the past two years and it's quite difficult.

One option is to try and bribe somebody at the immigrations office, but since most people working there are military and not the least convinced communists, it's hard. We tried so many times that we need to lay low for some time or the government might take actions against her. For example prolonging the waiting period with god knows how many years and we can't risk that.

Another option is to try to get her to Florida with boat, but that costs like 10 000 dollars and is very risky. Which means at the moment we need to wait and see what opportunities comes up.

Edit: And the thing is that even if i manage to smuggle her out of cuba and get her to Sweden without applying for the permanent visa at the Swedish embassy in Havana. she will still be a illegal alien in Sweden with no rights to healthe care, work or anything.

Last edited by klassekock (2008-01-16 08:07:37)

Snorkelfarsan
Soup Boy
+32|6614|Stockholm, Sweden
I think you should go over to live in Cuba for the rest of the time. Can't be that hard getting a job there if youre a painter. It might even be a nice experience . That's what I would do.

Lycka till!
ReTox
+100|6507|State of RETOXification
Tough one.

I'm in a similar situation but we've decided it is better for her to move to live with me so I'm working my ass off trying to get the "nest" ready.  We talk on the phone almost daily (I have awesome LD with my telco) so at least we have that.

It is very hard but if you both keep the result in mind it makes the tough times much easier.  For myself I know that once my wife is here I'll forget all about the time it took to get us to that moment.

Besides, real love can withstand the wait easy.  There is a romantic part to you moving to live with her until she can leave but is that really practical?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard