CoronadoSEAL
pics or it didn't happen
+207|6510|USA
forget the local gym...unless you like looking at yourself in the mirror.

Crossfit is the way to go (much like people have already said.

and you can do all this stuff in your garage/open room in your house.  creativity is key - do pullups from anything etc.

Last edited by CoronadoSEAL (2008-01-05 18:27:29)

Noobeater
Northern numpty
+194|6439|Boulder, CO
This has given me some good ideas, I normally just do 30 press ups and 60 sit ups a day (as i'm lazy) but i might start those leg ones now as well.
ThaReaper
Banned
+410|6632
Question: Does hitting yourself build up your hit tolerance? Just wondering.
XanKrieger
iLurk
+60|6650|South West England

ThaReaper wrote:

Tolerance for what? Pain? Kinda but it can be difficult to hit yourself hard enough to inflict alot of pain due to self preservation in mind, take up Boxing if you want to build up a tolerance for it and condition yourself to muscle strain and endurance
ThaReaper
Banned
+410|6632

XanKrieger wrote:

ThaReaper wrote:

Tolerance for what? Pain? Kinda but it can be difficult to hit yourself hard enough to inflict alot of pain due to self preservation in mind, take up Boxing if you want to build up a tolerance for it and condition yourself to muscle strain and endurance
I would join boxing if we had it at our school, too bad we don't though.
velocitychaos
+26|6488|Brisbane Australia
Steroids.
d3athwi5h4
insert clever title here
+59|6505|Kickapoo
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6713|Sydney, Australia
Hmm, I wanna get fit this year. Thanks for the tips - keep em coming.
BVC
+325|6687
Good thread! +1 to the OP!

Since we've got a whole fitness thing going here, has anybody got any good dietry tips for people wanting to get into shape?
ThaReaper
Banned
+410|6632

Pubic wrote:

Since we've got a whole fitness thing going here, has anybody got any good dietry tips for people wanting to get into shape?
Well, I was reading that thread and it said to eat healthy. No McDonalds, soda, fat foods like chips and twinkies and stuff like that. Eat meat like fish and things of that sort. Drink a lot of water and orange juice.

Also, I found this cool site showing how to do certain things.

http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/ab … cises.html

Last edited by ThaReaper (2008-01-05 22:52:31)

mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6713|Sydney, Australia

CoronadoSEAL wrote:

Crossfit is the way to go
I had a quick look around there. Read something about jogging, where you alternate between short bursts of jogging then sprinting. Did that for about half an hour with my dad. Lol, he went for a walk and I would sprint away from him then jog back. Walk a few minutes and repeat. I shall be doing it 3-4 times a week and the rest of the time normal jogging.

On the jogging/ running side of things what do you guys reccommend doing it? In the morning when I first get up (and it would be early, cause it gets hot quickly) or in the evening when it's cool enough?
naightknifar
Served and Out
+642|6553|Southampton, UK

Pubic wrote:

mcminty wrote:

CoronadoSEAL wrote:

Crossfit is the way to go
I had a quick look around there. Read something about jogging, where you alternate between short bursts of jogging then sprinting. Did that for about half an hour with my dad. Lol, he went for a walk and I would sprint away from him then jog back. Walk a few minutes and repeat. I shall be doing it 3-4 times a week and the rest of the time normal jogging.

On the jogging/ running side of things what do you guys reccommend doing it? In the morning when I first get up (and it would be early, cause it gets hot quickly) or in the evening when it's cool enough?

naightknifar wrote:

Running - Cardiovascular is brilliant. Just gets overall fitness good instead of muscle mass.
10 Minute jogs. Not sprinting.

If you want to work on running fitness (after you've jogged for months) do Fartlek training:
Sprint 200m
Jog 1KM
Walk 150m (rest)
Spring 200m
Jog 1KM ... etc.

Change intensity for Overload on fitness. (correct term, not off my head )

[/b]
Lol @ guys who say about: Don't eat mcDonalds. Only Fish - Raw Eggs and water.

Eat whatever you want, just not too much of one thing. The best diet is a balanced diet.
You have 80% protein for the repair and build up of muscles, you're going to be fucking ill.

Just eat how you think you should, not too much of one thing. Of course salad is the healthiest option, I hate the stuff.

I recommend you read my post: http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?pi … 0#p1788080

Noobeater wrote:

This has given me some good ideas, I normally just do 30 press ups and 60 sit ups a day (as i'm lazy) but i might start those leg ones now as well.
Leg lifts.

ThaReaper wrote:

As replied by another: boxing is your best effort for this.
But i do have to say, if the muscle has constant impacts ("Hitting"). It can build the muscle up. Just make sure you don't hurt yourself.
It's sort of portrayed as a good thing to do in movies. ie: Fight Club.
It does make the muscle build up gradually,and also tones the muscle. But not exactly the best way of doing it.

Last edited by naightknifar (2008-01-06 01:44:29)

Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6638
Just get a gym membership. They're not very expensive. The only way you're going to get any real muscles is if you do heavy free weights. None of that machine crap.

Push-ups are ok for keeping your arms in shape but they're no substitute for a bench press.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6593|132 and Bush

Moderation is the key. Do not skip meals and eat smaller portions. I try not to eat past 7:30 PM. Eating too late will translate into unburned calories. When I hurt my back I was unable to do anything physical for about two months. I put on weight because of my lack of activity. I was able to drop it pretty quick by watching my carbs/sugar and increasing my water intake. Our bodies and lifestyles are all different so no one single plan works for everyone. I know you said you cant afford weights but for anyone else interested in building strength and stamina I recommend working descending sets (drop sets) into your routine. I'll actually drop up to five times, hitting muscle failure everytime. They are good for breaking plateaus. A set of dumbbells can go a very long way.

I use these to save space.
https://i10.tinypic.com/71yt1n9.jpg
Xbone Stormsurgezz
BlackKoala
+215|6317

naightknifar wrote:

]Lol @ guys who say about: Don't eat mcDonalds. Only Fish - Raw Eggs and water.

Eat whatever you want, just not too much of one thing. The best diet is a balanced diet.
You have 80% protein for the repair and build up of muscles, you're going to be fucking ill.

Just eat how you think you should, not too much of one thing. Of course salad is the healthiest option, I hate the stuff.
Some very bad advice.  You're not going to go on a calorie deficit by eating McDonalds sandwiches or fries, it's not going to happen.  Drop pop and other sugary juices out of your diet and hop on the water train.  In addition to feeling generally healthier by eliminating unnecessary sugars in your diet, you will also be able to drop pounds faster because you don't have the sugars.

Things like chicken, tuna, salads, yogurts, fish, rice, veggies, etc are what you need to be aiming for if you want to drop the weight.  Stay away from the meals which are absolutely saturated in fat  (fast food, pizza) and that's the 100% guaranteed way to knock your body into losing weight, along with PLENTY OF EXERCISE.  Dieting alone won't accomplish jack shit.

If you lift, take it slow at first or you'll either...
a)  wear yourself out
b)  get tired of lifting and give up

Get on a good routine and stick to it.  Either consult a PT at your gym for one, or scrounge the internet to find a good plan.  There are plenty of full body routines that can be accomplished with nothing more than a set of dumbbells.  Go to your local used sporting goods store and get a set or two for $15-20.  Working out without weights is kind of...difficult, albeit possible.  Here is a good routine using only 1 gallon water jugs, and it also goes to show you some proper pushup form down at the bottom. 

I've done the above workout when I couldn't make it to the gym, and it sufficed.  I didn't get the burns and gains I got from lifting actual weights, but I felt it.
Ultrafunkula
Hector: Ding, ding, ding, ding...
+1,975|6465|6 6 4 oh, I forget

Thy must save the muny for Total Gym!

https://shopping.tgcom.it/data/images/500/194771A.jpg

And all you need is a small airplane hangar to exorcise in.

It really isolates your body.

At least that's what Chucky keeps saying in the commercial...
Shadow893
lel
+75|6684|England
good advice everyone - i may just take up exercising lol

EDIT: lol there isan advert for 'FITNESS FOR GAY GUYS - REAL JOCK.com' lol anyone interested :p
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6638

Ultrafunkula wrote:

http://shopping.tgcom.it/data/images/500/194771A.jpg

Thats the most piece of crap gimmick equipment I've seen.
jord
+2,382|6670|The North, beyond the wall.
Used to do it a lot. Losing motivation now...

Need to get fit as well for Army, sigh.
Ultrafunkula
Hector: Ding, ding, ding, ding...
+1,975|6465|6 6 4 oh, I forget

Ajax_the_Great1 wrote:

Ultrafunkula wrote:

http://shopping.tgcom.it/data/images/500/194771A.jpg

Thats the most piece of crap gimmick equipment I've seen.
You should've seen the ad back in the nineties. It was hilarious.

But what is disturbing me, why oh why did I get this ad in this topic?!?!!??!

It looks like the doings of Marlboromonsieur himself

https://img122.imageshack.us/img122/3139/imgadex6.gif
Shaguart
Titties
+56|6361|Calgary, Canada
Get a gym membership.
Seriously there is just so much more you can do at a gym than buying a set of dumbells.
But if you are just looking to get fit and not "big" then i would reccomend lots of cardio, so go out for jogs. Pushups are good, crunches, dips (you can put your wrists on one end of a counter top, then your feet on the other.)
Other than that the most important thing is diet. Lots of protein will get you leaner, and lots of greens are good to. Try and cut the fat and cards as much as you can.

Theres my tips
(I work out like 5 times a week, so i do have an idea of what i am talking about)

EDIT: lol try and cut the cards... i mean CARBS

Last edited by Shaguart (2008-01-06 16:00:53)

ThaReaper
Banned
+410|6632

Shaguart wrote:

Get a gym membership.
Seriously there is just so much more you can do at a gym than buying a set of dumbells.
But if you are just looking to get fit and not "big" then i would reccomend lots of cardio, so go out for jogs. Pushups are good, crunches, dips (you can put your wrists on one end of a counter top, then your feet on the other.)
Other than that the most important thing is diet. Lots of protein will get you leaner, and lots of greens are good to. Try and cut the fat and cards as much as you can.

Theres my tips
(I work out like 5 times a week, so i do have an idea of what i am talking about)

Some people don't have their license yet. I'm getting it next year, then I might join a gym.

Last edited by ThaReaper (2008-01-06 17:13:50)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6593|132 and Bush

Shaguart wrote:

Get a gym membership.
Yea, like looking at women..lol. Not all of us have time to waste driving to the gym. I can hit all the muscles I want and get the results I desire at home with dumbbells and a good bench. Most people just don't know all the available exercises. A monthly membership fee isn't required to get what you want (Unless you are looking to compete). Of course some people have to get out and in a gym to motivate themselves also. Convenience works better for me. It took me about ten years of working out at a gym to realize this..
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6638

Kmarion wrote:

Shaguart wrote:

Get a gym membership.
Yea, like looking at women..lol. Not all of us have time to waste driving to the gym. I can hit all the muscles I want and get the results I desire at home with dumbbells and a good bench. Most people just don't know all the available exercises. A monthly membership fee isn't required to get what you want (Unless you are looking to compete). Of course some people have to get out and in a gym to motivate themselves also. Convenience works better for me. It took me about ten years of working out at a gym to realize this..
Can't do squats with dumbells.

Oh, and you should be jogging to the gym, or biking.
Shaguart
Titties
+56|6361|Calgary, Canada

ThaReaper wrote:

Shaguart wrote:

Get a gym membership.

Theres my tips

Some people don't have their license yet. I'm getting it next year, then I might join a gym.
Yeah having an older brother pays off

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard