AudioAtomica
+53|6256
So after reading the "Tell me what you don't like about yourself thread" and reading 80% of everyone not thinking they're muscular enough I'm give some tips on becoming more fit. now I'm no professional, but I was in Gymnastics for years, and as anyone who knows anything about ymnastics, gymnists are fucking huge.

Anyway. You don't NEED a membership to the gym, all you need is a little will-power and $20 pull up bar from walmart. I suggest you get the kind that hold you up using the door frame, not the kind you have to screw into the wall.

Push-ups. Lay on your stomach and put your hands under your shoulders, only slightly below, and slightly away from them. That's a basic push-up, now do 3 sets of 10.

I-Feel-Retarded-Push-Up AKA Outstretched pushup. Just like the basic pushup acept place your hands at about a foot away form your shoulders, and now do 3 sets of 10.

Dip-Push-ups. Place your hands, waaay down by your hips, as close to your body as you can, without going under you, and do 3 sets of 10. (warning, these are REALLY hard at first.)

Plange (spell) Pushups. (the hardest to do. JUST like Dip push-ups only turn your hands so your fingers point twards your feet, do this by turning your hands outward, not inward please. 3 sets of 10.

Knuckle ups is just another way of doing standard/outstreched/dip push-ups, you do them on your knuckloes instead of your hands.

Diamonds High. Put your hands so the space between your thumbs and index fingers are a triangle/diamond, and place your hands under your chest. 3 sets of 10.

Diamonds Middle. Same as above only slightly below your solar plexus I.E. where you stop feeling bone along the middle of your chest. 3 sets of 10.

Diamonds Low. Same as above only around your belly buttton.  3 sets of 10

I don't know anyone who can do all those in one sitting, so mix it up and do 3 different one every day.

Now if you have a pull up bar, you won't need alot of help there. Just do chin-ups and pull ups with your head infront and behind the bar.

Jog, even though it sucks, jog atleast 3 times a week for 15 minutes atleast. just jog around the block a few times, you don't have to sprint. But remember to STRETCH before AND after. You should Stretch EVERYDAY wether you're active (sports) or not. Stretching prevents muscles.tendon/ligiment injuries.

Squats- I can't for the life of me explain a proper squat so here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squat_%28exercise%29   Just stick your ass WAY out and keep your back straight, and you should be fine. do these until you can't do them anylonger.

Lunges-  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunge_%28exercise%29  When you do the lunge, and you go forward, when you push back up, push with your forward heel, ALL your weight should be on that heel. You can also do this with weights. Do like 20 each leg.

Eat healthy! you don't have to shop at health food stores and shit, just don't drink Soda, try not to eat a whole bag of chips, try not to eat at Mcdonalds (Vomits). Eat alot of lean meat, like poultry and fish. Tuna is Excellent for protien, no to mention it's mighty tasty. Drink alot of water, and OJ.

Anyone else can post tips/advice too.

Edit.    ABS

Situps. Almost everyone does a situp wrong. DON"T stck your feet under anything, trying to keep your feet flat o nthe ground tones your thighs.  When you do the situp your arms should be across your chest and you should be trying to touch your chest to the sky, most people try and curl up, that isn't going to do anything and you'll be wasting time, you should arch your back towards yourknees as much as possible.

V-ups. These are rpetty hard to do at first, and you feel awfully stupid, but they work, I promise. lay down, and sit up while lifting your legs (keep them straight and toes pointed) you should be balanceing on your ass, you can hold your arms down infront of you for balance, just don't grab your legs or touch the floor with them, now slowly lower yourself, almost to a laying down position and lift back up. Repeat.

Crunches, are just like situps, only you don't sit al lthe way up.

Bicycles, are crunches where you have your hands behind your head ( DO NOT PULL YOUR HEAD, THAT CAN CAUSE PERANENT NECK DAMAMGE) and you touch your elbow to the opposite knee, while lifing a knee to touch the opposite elbow. So it looks like you're on your back riding a bike. These have been called the best thing to do for your abs, but I prefer crunches and v-ups myself.

V-hold like a v-up only find a position that hurts and hold it for as long as possible, don't puss out like a bitch either.

When doing crunches or any variants (as in twisting while doing the crunch)  stop in the middle of your set, crunch as high as you can and pulse, pulsing is where you do mini crunches at the top of a crunch, for example when you do a crunch as high as you can lower yourself back down a little and then return to the highest point again repeat for 20 or so times, and then resume your normal set. This is extremely good for toning your core. Pulsing is usually easier to do when you pulse quickly.

If you happen to have a membership to the gym and they have that leglift machine. Do it. It should look like an arm chair 5 feet off the ground, without the part you sit on. Get in that, and if you've never done leg lifts before bring your knees to your chest in a slow and controlled manner. If you're comfortable with your core's strength then flex all the mucles in your legs and point your toes, lift your legs and try to bring your shins to your face. Do that however many times you can, I garuntee it won't be many.

I know people who use the sit-up contraptions, where you lock your legs in and then do sit ups on an incline at my gym, with WEIGHTS. DO NOT DO THIS unless you know you're strong enough to be able to pull it off without ripping your core muscles.

Smithereener wrote:

Don't need to buy dumbells either for weights. If you have any heavy books lying around, stuff them in a backpack and lift those. That's what my coach always made us do if there weren't any spare dumbells. (Cross Country/XC) Shit, he even told us another school just got pipes and cut them to different sizes and filled them with sand for weights.

Just to stay fit through running:
1. Warm Up Run. Lasts about 10 min. Not too fast, not too slow, but a comfortable pace. (If you could talk without having lost too much breath, it's a good speed.)
2. Stretch. Lunge is one of the best stretches anyone can do (Don't need weights, this is only a stretch).
3. Main Workouts. Sprints, Weight Lifting, Long jogs, whatever.
4. Cooldown/Warmdown Jog. Almost like the Warm Up. Follow up with stretching so you don't get any torn muscles, etc. This is by far the most important step of the whole workout (excluding the main workout). It's crap to not stretch after a workout and then get an injury later. You're out for a week or so and it's that much harder to get into the same condition you were before.

Then we'd all do sit ups and push ups:
20 leg overs - Lie on the ground and keeping your legs straight, pull them up and over your head.
25 cross overs on each side - Like a sit up, but put one leg crossed on the other. Using your opposite arm curl over to touch your knee with your elbow.
25 sit ups - Just that, the simple sit up.
2 sets of 15 Push Ups - Lie face down on the ground to begin. Then push your arms up. Don't start with your body hanging in the air. It's a push up not a let down.
Occasionally we'd do bicycles. (Looks like your cycling backwards in midair.)

Eats! -
Protein Shakes are unneccesary. Sure they might be helpful, but for the most part, you can do without them.
Water - You, meet water. Water, meet you. Your new best friend. Drink till your piss turns clear.
If your planning to workout, eat carbs BEFORE the workout. I think it's a day before. Tis why marathoners eat pasta the day before the race. Afterwards eat that steak or any other source of protein to rebuild your muscles. There is barely any harm in eating junk foods once in a while, it's when you start eating it constantly that it hinders your ability to workout.

If your just wanting to lose weight and fat, don't expect that doing any kind of excercise is going to make you drop 30 pounds in a day. It's unrealistic and unhealthy to lose so much weight in such a short amount of time. Just know that if you do increase in weight, it might just be because of muscle. (Muscle is more dense than fat.)

Oh yeah, if you run DO NOT run on your heels. Those damn Nike Shox for like $120 are a total rip. If you run properly you won't need those shocks on the heels. Running on your heels will more often than not cause you to get shin splints (which hurt like hell). You should be able to get decent running shoes for 50-80 bucks that will serve you well. Get dedicated runner shoes, not cross trainers. <--- Comparable to dedicated video cards vs Integrated. I've no clue what kind of shoes are sold anymore, but when I quit running about 1 year ago, some very good shoes were:
(Nike)Air Max Moto - Cost me $75
(Nike)Pegasus - Around $75 too. Another excellent shoe.
(Adidas)SuperNova - By far the BEST running shoe I ever owned. Cost me $90, but was well worth it.
From my experiences, Nike tends to make running shoes that fit people with normal to slimmer feet and cushions slightly less to decrease weight, making them ideal for speed workouts. Adidas runners are slightly heavier, but the extra cushioning in the shoe makes it awesome for most long runs.
I've never owned a pair of Nike Free shoes, but I've tried a run with a friend's pair. They're actually really comfortable but do take some time to get used to.
STRETCHES. While doing sitting stretches always try and touch your chest to the ground.

Pike stretch. Sit on the flor with your legs together and straight infront of you, and reach for your heels WHILE pointing your toes. stretches legs.

Eagles. Sit with your legs as far apart from eachother as possible and stretch down the middle. Lean over each leg individually. stretches legs.

Ow stretch. Sit as if you were going to do a Pike stretch, but place your arms behind you, with your hands AS CLOSE to eachother as possible and slowly lean back while sliding your hands as far back as possile WHILE keeping them as close together as possible. These WILL suck, but they are good for you. Stretches your chest/arms/under arms.

Seal. Lay on your stomach and do a pushup, but keep you HIPS glued to the floor and push your chest as far back as you can. stretches you abs.

Cat-Back. Sit on your knees then collapse and try to touch your chin to the floor, your ass should be way up i nthe air, this is meant to stretch your abs/under arms.

Lunge. Just like diong a lunge (see way, way above) only sit on that one knee and stretch you hamstrings and ass, keep your chest up, and don't touch the ground with your hands.

Middle Splits. Yeah these are t3h sux0rz.  stand up and keep working your legs farther and farther apart, try not to bend down and touch the ground. Go as far down as you can, these hurt, but are worth it. This stretches your hamstrings, and some other thigh muscles.

Flags. Lay on your back with arms out to your sides (like you're on a cross. Lol) and then roll over ontop of one arm, it should still be at a 90 degree angle from your body, yo ushould know be on your stomache on one of your arms, not rock back and forth dtretching your shoulder. Switch sides.  This stretches your shoulder.

Last edited by AudioAtomica (2007-05-20 21:36:34)

pers0nah
Waste Kid
+271|6588|MANCHESTERRR
haha nice
sfarrar33
Halogenoalkane
+57|6624|InGerLand
haha very nice +1 i wonder why no one ever posted this before?

personally i recommend the lunges, do them right and do enough of them and they will work you out reasonably well without making you overly exhausted, theres also the added advantage that they are completely free.

Those interested in working on the chest and leg muscles should look up: sit ups, stomach crunches, and plymetrics.

IMPORTANTish: Even if you are only interested in having ripped abs then work on the rest of your body a little as well or else it will get to the point where it won't take it and something will break, i know many stories of people who have spent years pulling weights and building a great upper body to be paralysed for the rest of their lives because they never worked on their lower back and one day they picked up a weight that their arms could handle but their spine alone couldn't (yes it does actually make an audible snapping noise, no i never want to hear it again).
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6535|Global Command
I'd recommend this type of regime;
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6531|South Florida
Very nice. Im a fitness and fat loss trainer at our local WMCA. Trust me,
The key to losing weight is eating healthy. ABSOLUTLY NO SODA. Some people say a little soda is ok, but i feel that a little soda temps you to drink a lot of soda.

Sugar Free candy! Almost everyone makes sugar free editions to regular candy, stay away from chocolate.

Eat vegetables, they're so good for you. Carrots, Green lettuce.
Your full meals should consist of a salad. Buy a bag of pre-made salad at your grociery, dump it in a bowl, put a little bit of dressing on it, and have that instead of chips or even have a few chips with it (see my take on soda).

Also, running is great for fat loss, any cardio is good.

i will agree with you, losing weight is a challenge, but being fat sucks and theres really no excuse for these 300+ pound people in the world.

Extra note: If you want some soda, pick of some Caffein Free Diet soda. Also, Diet Mountain dew tastes EXACTLY like real MD. But i dont know for sure if Diet MD also comes caffien free, so try caffien free.

REVIEW:
Stay away from sugar!!!!!! <- Sugar is what makes you fat, not "Fat"
Eat Vegetables with every meal, some fruit is ok but not as much as veggies.
Run a few times if you can

Last edited by Dezerteagal5 (2007-05-20 16:45:47)

15 more years! 15 more years!
AudioAtomica
+53|6256

ATG wrote:

I can do most of that. That was the whole reason I joined gymnastics.

Parkour FTW.

Dezerteagal5 wrote:

Very nice. Im a fitness and fat loss trainer at our local WMCA. Trust me,
The key to losing weight is eating healthy. ABSOLUTLY NO SODA. Some people say a little soda is ok, but i feel that a little soda temps you to drink a lot of soda.

Sugar Free candy! Almost everyone makes sugar free editions to regular candy, stay away from chocolate.

Eat vegetables, they're so good for you. Carrots, Green lettuce.
Your full meals should consist of a salad. Buy a bag of pre-made salad at your grociery, dump it in a bowl, put a little bit of dressing on it, and have that instead of chips or even have a few chips with it (see my take on soda).

Also, running is great for fat loss, any cardio is good.

i will agree with you, losing weight is a challenge, but being fat sucks and theres really no excuse for these 300+ pound people in the world.

Extra note: If you want some soda, pick of some Caffein Free Diet soda. Also, Diet Mountain dew tastes EXACTLY like real MD. But i dont know for sure if Diet MD also comes caffien free, so try caffien free.

REVIEW:
Stay away from sugar!!!!!! <- Sugar is what makes you fat, not "Fat"
Eat Vegetables with every meal, some fruit is ok but not as much as veggies.
Run a few times if you can
Sprite is caffiene free and tastes better than faggot mountain dew.

I'ma edit in ab exercises in a minute btw.

Last edited by AudioAtomica (2007-05-20 16:56:05)

AudioAtomica
+53|6256
Core excercises added.
Hurricane
Banned
+1,153|6636|Washington, DC

Cool. I want to look better. AKA be worthy enough to be a model for Gap or Armani Exchange or something (No I'm not homo, contrary to surgeon's beliefs =p).
Smithereener
+138|6321|California
Nice Guide. +1.

Don't need to buy dumbells either for weights. If you have any heavy books lying around, stuff them in a backpack and lift those. That's what my coach always made us do if there weren't any spare dumbells. (Cross Country/XC) Shit, he even told us another school just got pipes and cut them to different sizes and filled them with sand for weights.

Just to stay fit through running:
1. Warm Up Run. Lasts about 10 min. Not too fast, not too slow, but a comfortable pace. (If you could talk without having lost too much breath, it's a good speed.)
2. Stretch. Lunge is one of the best stretches anyone can do (Don't need weights, this is only a stretch).
3. Main Workouts. Sprints, Weight Lifting, Long jogs, whatever.
4. Cooldown/Warmdown Jog. Almost like the Warm Up. Follow up with stretching so you don't get any torn muscles, etc. This is by far the most important step of the whole workout (excluding the main workout). It's crap to not stretch after a workout and then get an injury later. You're out for a week or so and it's that much harder to get into the same condition you were before.

Then we'd all do sit ups and push ups:
20 leg overs - Lie on the ground and keeping your legs straight, pull them up and over your head.
25 cross overs on each side - Like a sit up, but put one leg crossed on the other. Using your opposite arm curl over to touch your knee with your elbow.
25 sit ups - Just that, the simple sit up.
2 sets of 15 Push Ups - Lie face down on the ground to begin. Then push your arms up. Don't start with your body hanging in the air. It's a push up not a let down.
Occasionally we'd do bicycles. (Looks like your cycling backwards in midair.)

Eats! -
Protein Shakes are unneccesary. Sure they might be helpful, but for the most part, you can do without them.
Water - You, meet water. Water, meet you. Your new best friend. Drink till your piss turns clear.
If your planning to workout, eat carbs BEFORE the workout. I think it's a day before. Tis why marathoners eat pasta the day before the race. Afterwards eat that steak or any other source of protein to rebuild your muscles. There is barely any harm in eating junk foods once in a while, it's when you start eating it constantly that it hinders your ability to workout.

If your just wanting to lose weight and fat, don't expect that doing any kind of excercise is going to make you drop 30 pounds in a day. It's unrealistic and unhealthy to lose so much weight in such a short amount of time. Just know that if you do increase in weight, it might just be because of muscle. (Muscle is more dense than fat.)

Oh yeah, if you run DO NOT run on your heels. Those damn Nike Shox for like $120 are a total rip. If you run properly you won't need those shocks on the heels. Running on your heels will more often than not cause you to get shin splints (which hurt like hell). You should be able to get decent running shoes for 50-80 bucks that will serve you well. Get dedicated runner shoes, not cross trainers. <--- Comparable to dedicated video cards vs Integrated. I've no clue what kind of shoes are sold anymore, but when I quit running about 1 year ago, some very good shoes were:
(Nike)Air Max Moto - Cost me $75
(Adidas)SuperNova - By far the BEST running shoe I ever owned. Cost me $90, but was well worth it.
From my experiences, Nike tends to make running shoes that fit people with normal to slimmer feet and cushions slightly less to decrease weight, making them ideal for speed workouts. Adidas runners are slightly heavier, but the extra cushioning in the shoe makes it awesome for most long runs.
I've never owned a pair of Nike Free shoes, but I've tried a run with a friend's pair. They're actually really comfortable but do take some time to get used to.

That's actually a really good guide methinks. Although I barely run anymore. Mostly cycling and swimming. Hurts less (for me) to swim and bike than to run.
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6574|Mountains of NC

since its turned warmer and the days are longer, for those who want a healthier lifestyle - swimming - its the best form of cardio out there ---- low impact (very important) - good resistance (major plus)
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
AudioAtomica
+53|6256

Smithereener wrote:

very good shoes were:

That's actually a really good guide methinks. Although I barely run anymore. Mostly cycling and swimming. Hurts less (for me) to swim and bike than to run.
Peg's FTW.

Those are the best Parkour shoes in existence.
Smithereener
+138|6321|California

AudioAtomica wrote:

Smithereener wrote:

very good shoes were:

Peg's FTW.

Those are the best Parkour shoes in existence.
I don't Parkour (Looks kinda fun though), but I know that Pegs were some damn good running shoes.

I still preferred my SuperNovas though.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6660

I'm definitely going to use this to work on my core. I did Taekwondo for 7 years but this past school year I've slacked off a lot due to moving off to college and not having time to practice (if my school's gym was open 24/7, I'd go in the middle of the night instead of playing BF2). Doing TKD got my legs and arms in shape, but I still got a potbelly This summer, since I'll finally have free time, I'm gonna try to get in shape and hit up the beach and snag some ladies
LawJik
The Skeptical Realist
+48|6537|Amherst, MA
Geek to Freak

Needs gym but quite interesting...

Last edited by LawJik (2007-05-20 17:57:31)

AudioAtomica
+53|6256

LawJik wrote:

Geek to Freak

Needs gym but quite interesting...
That's because he consumed masive amounts of protien and was probably monitored to make sure his kidneys weren't failing.

BTW if you do feel the need to consume massive amounts of protien drink ALOT of water to flush out un-used protien and prevent any damage to your body.
AudioAtomica
+53|6256
Added a few stretches.
lavadisk
I am a cat ¦ 3
+369|6835|Denver colorado
And if your in school right now try to get into a weight training class. Being able to get some physical work into the school schedule really feels good and shows results.
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6722

ATG wrote:

He looks like a new super hero... "White Trash Spiderman"  lol
Love is the answer
ThaReaper
Banned
+410|6645
I try to work out, I want to jog, but I don't want people to look at me while running around the neighborhood and think I'm retarded.
Smithereener
+138|6321|California

thareaper254 wrote:

I try to work out, I want to jog, but I don't want people to look at me while running around the neighborhood and think I'm retarded.
Why would people think you're retarded for running around the neighborhood? It's good excercise.
twiistaaa
+87|6674|mexico
i just do normal pushups. its all you need for upper body.

running/jogging/walking and basketball for everything else.
AudioAtomica
+53|6256

twiistaaa wrote:

i just do normal pushups. its all you need for upper body.

running/jogging/walking and basketball for everything else.
Regular push-ups only work a few muscles. You can do regular pushups only if you want your arms to appear disfigured. I posted several types of push-ups for a reason.
soldevilla13
SuperFly
+21|6727|oregon
When buying Nike Free Shoes, know which type you're getting. The Free Trainer is very nice, but again, its a TRAINER, it leaves out certain supports so that your muscles work harder (which is helpful for those who want more muscle or more toned muscles). For those who are not good runners, you'll want to stick to the Nike Free 6.0 (i think thats what it is called). It supports the foot as much as possible so that you can go longer and easier, but remember less resistance/muscle building.

anyways, i run with the trainers because they really do build more muscle than the regular Free's, but i ahve both because i use the regulars when im doing something that is timed or during tryouts for a certain sport.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard