-]Eucalyptus[-
I'm a MOO MOO STARRR!!1
+17|6736|Switzerland (Im not swiss tho)
If you want to be a pilot for aircraft stationed on aircraft carriers, which army branch do you join? Normally officers and not enlisted personnel are pilots, I know that, and I know there are many obstacles and requirements needed to become a pilot. But still, which branch can you join?

I'm guessing the USAF basically only has jets that need a landing strip and is based in airbases in the continental USA and foreign bases (such as the ones in Germany).

In BF2, on the AH-COBRA there's this big giant tag that says "Marines". Well duh, the in-game descriptors for the maps always talk about USMC (United States Marine Corps) and not the US NAVY.

So, do the Marine Corps control the carriers or does the Navy?
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6708
marines have airstrips for F-18 i think, Navy have carriers, but marines ground troops sumtimes get carried by carriers
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Rolandoomg
+0|6664|Nevada
All Branches have Pilots for th Different PLanes or Helicopters  that they use.
-]Eucalyptus[-
I'm a MOO MOO STARRR!!1
Ok then. Which air unit of which branch is the most used in forward deployment theaters? Navy or USMC? And ok, ninja, marines may be carried by the carriers, but the aircraft used on the carriers... are they USMC or Navy?
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6754

Marines fly F-18's off navy carriers.
Aegis
Sailor with no BF2 Navy
+19|6737|I'm worldwide, beotch
The jets used on carriers are mostly Navy and some USMC. The helos on the carriers are also both Navy and USMC. All carriers are owned by the Navy.

There are H-60 variants for each branch of the military, and F-35 variants for each service but the Army.
The Coast Guard doesn't count.

Last edited by Aegis (2006-02-11 08:18:25)

Dirrty_Bird
Dirtier than thou
+5|6733|Vermont
A vast majority of pilots who operate off carriers are Navy.
CrazyCobra
+0|6721
F-18 super hornets and F-14b Tomcats..... but tomcats are being decommissioned
   Air force DOES NOT fly off of carriers... and the Navy has more fighter aircraft than the Air Force
Husker~ifh~
Beer Consumption Expert
+25|6722|Beerville, USA
To fly a fixed wing air craft in the military such as fighter/bombers you have to meet the requirements to become an officer.  This generally means you hold atleast a 4 year degree and can pass the Class I Flight Physical.  You CAN NOT just raise your right hand as a high school grad, join the Air Force or Navy (Marines are a sub unit of the Navy), and go fly jet

The Navy is the primary foreward deployed fighting force when it comes to jets and air support.  The Navy actually has more jets than the Air Force.  The Air Force's claim to fame is it's death dealing fleet of bombers such as the B-1 and F-117's.  The Marines and Army are the U.S.'s premier ground fighting forces each with there own means of Close Air Support (CAS).  The Marines have a combination of Jets/Helo's while the Army primarily has just Helo's.
-]Eucalyptus[-
I'm a MOO MOO STARRR!!1
Thank you Husker~ifh~ and the others.

After college I plan to join the Navy or USMC to be a pilot.

Either that or I can take this CIA scholarship thing that I qualify for...
KVNY
+25|6648|SoCal

-]Eucalyptus[- wrote:

Well, if your goal is to be a pilot, then you should start DURING college, not after.  if you do ROTC during college, then by the time you finish your 4 year degree you can have earned an officers commision and go on to flight school.  But thats only if you get a pilot slot.  There is A LOT of competition for pilot slots.  If you dont get a pilot slot, then you'll have to find somthing else to do, but you'll still get your commision as long as you pass all your ROTC stuff.
Aegis
Sailor with no BF2 Navy

Husker~ifh~ wrote:

You CAN NOT just raise your right hand as a high school grad, join the Air Force or Navy ... and go fly jet
Oh-ho! Try again.. it's called the CWO flying program. And yes, the Navy has it too. Can't blame you for not knowing, though.. unless you're an insider ;-)

Husker~ifh~ wrote:

Marines are a sub unit of the Navy
Once again, no. The Marines are an independent service that works closely with the Navy.

Last edited by Aegis (2006-02-11 10:34:49)

=DBD=TITAN126
+5|6775

KVNY wrote:

-]Eucalyptus[- wrote:

Well, if your goal is to be a pilot, then you should start DURING college, not after.  if you do ROTC during college, then by the time you finish your 4 year degree you can have earned an officers commision and go on to flight school.  But thats only if you get a pilot slot.  There is A LOT of competition for pilot slots.  If you dont get a pilot slot, then you'll have to find somthing else to do, but you'll still get your commision as long as you pass all your ROTC stuff.
So, let's say I want to be a helicopter pilot for the Army, and I do Army ROTC. WTF do I do if I don't get a pilot slot?
Reason
+0|6642|Virginia Beach, VA

-]Eucalyptus[- wrote:

If you want to be a pilot for aircraft stationed on aircraft carriers, which army branch do you join? Normally officers and not enlisted personnel are pilots, I know that, and I know there are many obstacles and requirements needed to become a pilot. But still, which branch can you join?

In BF2, on the AH-COBRA there's this big giant tag that says "Marines". Well duh, the in-game descriptors for the maps always talk about USMC (United States Marine Corps) and not the US NAVY.

So, do the Marine Corps control the carriers or does the Navy?
I am in the navy and on a gator frieghter. Heres how it works. The Essex (LHD 2) is an ampibious helo/vtol/troop carrier. It is owned by the Navy. But it Is used/design for carring Marines to and from and there gear while sustaining support for the Marines. Be it air or supplies. Now some times we have a Marine "HELDET" (Helocopter Detachment) or Marine Airwing on board. The airwings consist of AV-8B Harriers. While the Helodet can vary (Cobra,Seahawks **Blackhawk for the Army**,Sea Knights,Sea Stallions)depending on their designated mission.  So The AH-1's are property of the USMC but are carried by the navy. Thats why there marked Maries on the side.

And for piloting planes on aircraft carriers. Navy/Marine only for that.  All of the branches have a flight program of some sort. But yes you have to be an Officer or a Warrent Officer to fly. NOt really the end of the world be casue if you enlist there are programs offered to get you in to officer programs to get you in to the flight aspect of the military.

Hope this helps.
Aegis
Sailor with no BF2 Navy

=DBD=TITAN126 wrote:

KVNY wrote:

-]Eucalyptus[- wrote:

So, let's say I want to be a helicopter pilot for the Army, and I do Army ROTC. WTF do I do if I don't get a pilot slot?
First, you beat your head for joining the Army. Second, you get tapped to go do one of the many other jobs the Army offers.

A brighter man would examine all the other options that are available for you to go aviation - PM me if you want some more info (I'm going through the officer accession process as we speak).

Last edited by Aegis (2006-02-11 10:48:00)

gsxrpilot
+6|6642|Cincinnati, Oh
Once again, no. The Marines are an independent service that works closely with the Navy.
Wrong.

The Marine Corps is a department of the Navy.   

Semper Fi
Aegis
Sailor with no BF2 Navy

gsxrpilot wrote:

Wrong.

Semper Fi
No.. you're really wrong. The Marines are in The Department of the Navy. They have their own chain of command and their own representative on the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

Semper Fi - you're a fucking Marine and you don't know this?

I've got a joke for you, then:
Q: What's the difference between a sailor and a Marine?
A: About 50 points on the ASVAB

Last edited by Aegis (2006-02-11 13:26:38)

Psycho
Member since 2005
+44|6768|Kansas, USA

Aegis wrote:

gsxrpilot wrote:

Wrong.

Semper Fi
No.. you're really wrong. The Marines are in The Department of the Navy. They have their own chain of command and their own representative on the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
There are three military departments: Army, Air Force and Navy. There are five military branches: Army, Airforce, Navy, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard. The Nave and Marines are part of the Dept. of Navy. The Coast Guard is now under the Dept. of Homeland Security. Both the Chief of Naval Operations and the Marine Corps Commandant report (for most matters) to the Secretary of the Navy.

Marines were officially established on 10 November 1775 by the Continental Congress, to act as a landing force for the United States Navy. In 1798, however, Congress established the Marine Corps as a separate service.

So, they are a separate service, but they are still part of the Dept. of the navy.

And for =DBD=TITAN126, all the helicopter pilots I knew of in the Army were Warrant Officers. really though if you are intersted in flying planes or helicopters you need to go talk to the recruiters. They will tell you what the requirements are for specific duties. For example, you can join the Air Force to become a pilot but there is no guarantee that you will fly a fighter. You are more likely to end up flying a transport.
HerrHav0k
+0|6661
I told my Marine recruiter that I was interested in flying and he said that you have a better chance of flying in the Marines than you do in the other branches. Not really sure how much truth that holds though, could have just been feeding me stuff to get me to sign up.

Also I don't think the Marines are considered a "sub-branch" of the Navy anymore. You'd be better off asking a Marine/Navy historian but here's the wikipedia entry for the USMC relationship with the US Navy:

"Although the Marine Corps report to the civilian Secretary of the Navy (SECNAV), they are not considered to be part of the Navy, but rather a distinct branch of the military. The Commandant of the Marine Corps does not report to a naval officer (unless the chairman of the rotating joint chief of staff happens to be an admiral). However, as the Navy often serves to deliver Marines to their deployments, Marines being transported in a naval vessel must obey the orders of its captain. Marine air squadrons deploy alongside navy air squadrons on aircraft carriers or in aircraft carrier battlegroups, but often have distinct missions and rarely fly on sorties together, except to directly support Marine ground troops."
HerrHav0k
+0|6661

Aegis wrote:

Haha just found this in your post. I got another one, oldie but a goodie:

Muscles
Are
Required
Intelligence
Not
Expected
Taua
+0|6645
Look Guys if want to fly go to school study math a lot of math get 4 years uder your belt ROTC then go to boot for what ever service you want. Get you flight time before you go get certs set your self up for a long term plan and so it if thats what you want. ME iam a ground pounding machine gunner happiness is a belt fed gun hehehe
Mike_J
+68|6661

HerrHav0k wrote:

Aegis wrote:

Muscles
Are
Required
Intelligence
Not
Expected
LOL!!!!  boy i wish i knew those jokes when my marine recruiter was pokin fun at me for choosing army over the marine corp.  last time he called he said, "oh, you Ain't Ready for the Marines Yet?"  lol.

edit: oh hey -]Eucalyptus[-, you wanta be a pilot, then do the air force.  they'll treat ya better.

Last edited by Mike_J (2006-02-11 15:11:34)

Gunny_Prixxon
+0|6704|atlanta

Psycho wrote:

Aegis wrote:

gsxrpilot wrote:

Wrong.

Semper Fi
There are three military departments: Army, Air Force and Navy. There are five military branches: Army, Airforce, Navy, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard. The Nave and Marines are part of the Dept. of Navy. The Coast Guard is now under the Dept. of Homeland Security. Both the Chief of Naval Operations and the Marine Corps Commandant report (for most matters) to the Secretary of the Navy.

Marines were officially established on 10 November 1775 by the Continental Congress, to act as a landing force for the United States Navy. In 1798, however, Congress established the Marine Corps as a separate service.

So, they are a separate service, but they are still part of the Dept. of the navy.
Yes, the Marines are technically Department of the Navy - however, we are the mens department.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6754

HerrHav0k wrote:

Aegis wrote:

Muscles
Are
Required
Intelligence
Not
Expected
Very good.....too bad the E stands for Essential.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard