NeXuS
Shock it till ya know it
+375|6350|Atlanta, Georgia
Man im confused about what people say about proccesors. I pick one that is obviously better than what i have now and everyone says its not gonna do anything amazing to my computer. So what proccesor will? I'll need and AMD Athlon 64 socket 939 please.
HITNRUNXX
+220|6718|Oklahoma City

NeXuS4909 wrote:

Man im confused about what people say about proccesors. I pick one that is obviously better than what i have now and everyone says its not gonna do anything amazing to my computer. So what proccesor will? I'll need and AMD Athlon 64 socket 939 please.
First of all, what do you have? Anyone can name the BEST processor out, but what are you upgrading from? What is your price range? Why do you feel a need to upgrade right now? What is the rest of your computer's specs?
Eugefunk84
+48|6542

HITNRUNXX wrote:

NeXuS4909 wrote:

First of all, what do you have? Anyone can name the BEST processor out, but what are you upgrading from? What is your price range? Why do you feel a need to upgrade right now? What is the rest of your computer's specs?
QFT

I have an Socket AM2 AMD X2 6000+,

And I can run everythign maxed out, except for crysis, haha, but thats a joke.
NeXuS
Shock it till ya know it
edit: fail post is fail

Last edited by NeXuS4909 (2007-12-29 21:23:42)

Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6205|Winland

NeXuS4909 wrote:

Wow did you not read the end of my paragraph???

Amd athlon 64
939 socket
anything up to 120 bucks
Well, what CPU have you got now? We can't tell what CPU to upgrade to if we don't know that. That could even make it a downgrade. And if you've got just shit in your computer, someone might suggest another upgrade that'd do better for performance.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
NeXuS
Shock it till ya know it
Well i need something above an AMD Athlon 64 3700+ anything above that. Preferably a dual core.
ReTox
+100|6507|State of RETOXification
AMD no longer makes chips for 939, I'm in the same boat.  To get at the newest CPU's you'll need to get another MB that is AM2
CommieChipmunk
+488|6578|Portland, OR, USA
save up, wait to see if AMD comes out with the next best thing, and if they don't go to Intel, it'll even be an upgrade if you find a cheap core 2 duo down the road
CrazeD
+368|6681|Maine
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6819103222

This is the only s939 A64 on the egg.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6478
I think what people were trying to say is that no matter what upgrade you get on a socket939 motherboard, it will not make a significant performance increase in any modern title. It really would be best to make the leap to Socket AM2 or Intel's equivalent- DDR2 RAM is something that will be mandatory within the next year or so.

With that being said, if you're still aiming to buy a socket939 processor, I hear that you can still find dual-core 4800-5000+ processors for socket939. Just got to look in the right places :\. Not sure if they have been discontinued and laid off the production line-- wouldn't surprise me to be honest!

Edit: Here's a 4400+ dual-core from an English store.

Last edited by Uzique (2007-12-30 05:46:40)

libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
HITNRUNXX
+220|6718|Oklahoma City

NeXuS4909 wrote:

Wow did you not read the end of my paragraph???

Amd athlon 64
939 socket
anything up to 120 bucks
Considering your original post did not have the "$120" on it, that DOES make a difference... So now everyone can still just say buy the best processor you can that is AMD Athlon 64 939 that you can get for $120....   Not real helpful. Without knowing WHAT YOU HAVE, and knowing that PRICES change (especially on things that are no longer in production) what costs $120 now may be crappier than what you already have.

I was in the same position recently. I had an AMD Athlon 3000, and my MoBo went out. I couldn't find a replacement for it, as they had quit making them. So I was forced (*twist my arm*) to upgrade... I used a thousand bucks out of my tax return and built a NICE system for the money...

Current System:
EVGA 680i Board
Intel Quad Core 2 Extreme QX6700
512 MB 7950GT
2 GB Corsair Dominator  800 DDR2
500 GB Seagate Barracuda Perpendicular 7200.11 Hard drive (bought later)

Now I noticed a HUGE difference... And then I noticed another Huge difference when I upgraded my Hard Drive (the previous one, a WD Caviar was going out and acting goofy and slow... 3 WDs in a row that died within 6 months now...)

So my advice, if you want help, provide information. You may be running crappy RAM that would make more difference than the best Socket 939 AMD Athlon 64 processor out...

If you don't want to provide information, then my advice is to save a grand or so and upgrade everything to the best you can afford for it... Then you will notice that difference you want...
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6533|South Florida

NeXuS4909 wrote:

Your in the same boat as me. The Socket 939 boat.

Its the shittiest boat to be in.

You can get an AM2 Socket processor for half the price, with twice as much power, as you can for a socket 939.

It's a real bummer, but i would suggest getting a board that holds AM2 processors.
15 more years! 15 more years!
_NL_Lt.EngineerFox
Big Mouth Prick
+219|6539|Golf 1.8 GTI Wolfsburg Edition
Best for 939 atm are the Opteron's and don't be fooled by what they are designed for, they work wonderfull in games. Idk what FX-xx proccesors are on s939 but they are also quite fast.
The#1Spot
+105|6548|byah

Mitch wrote:

NeXuS4909 wrote:

You can get an AM2 Socket processor for half the price, with twice as much power, as you can for a socket 939.

It's a real bummer, but i would suggest getting a board that holds AM2 processors.
Using a 939 as well and waiting for the 5200+ to be under 100$. All I need is 250$ and I can be in the am2 crowd.
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6557|UK

Think 4200X2 (or something like that) was the quickest 939 CPU (excluding the FX series).  Dual core at, 2.2-2.4Ghz me thinks.  If you find one of them cheapish, then sure upgrade that can be a low cost performance boost for you.

Don't bother incuring the cost of buying new motherboards and stuff to get onto AM2, if you do any upgrading of that level, just go intel.

My 2 cents

Martyn
mnishimura00
I ruin Wake Island for everybody.
+15|6192

Mitch wrote:

NeXuS4909 wrote:

negative... i am in the shittiest boat to be in right now... socket 754 Athlon 64 3700+ 'the clawhammer',  k8v se deluxe and an x800 pro.  i didnt do my homework when i bought my computer... wasnt open for any upgrades whatsoever.  this thing lags to hell doing the simplest of tasks.  i can barely hold 40 fps on bf2 using medium settings.

well i did my homework this time and bought a budget system a couple days ago.  it appears amd doesnt have their stuff together even with their 'phenom' so i went intel.  got me a q6600 g0 slacr w/  an evga 680i nf67-t1 and an evga 8800gt.  suprisingly with everything, i paid about half of what i paid for my previous computer.  not bad for a budget gaming rig.  well see if its worth it when it gets here... i still have to put it together.  plus there is plenty of OC potential, and support for the lga775 is pretty good with even top of the line processors using the same socket.  when nvidia releases a 10 series gfx card, ill upgrade to that, in  a couple years. it doesnt hurt to add that 4gb of ddr2 800 ram costs less than 85 bucks.

if i had gotten a 939 back in the day, i would have an upgraded 3 year old computer, prolly an athlon 64 X2 4200, running the same mobo, ram, and gfx card.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6589|SE London

Mitch wrote:

NeXuS4909 wrote:

Why go to AM2?

Why not Intel? You'll need to change RAM, CPU and MB anyway - why not change to something obviously much better.

BTW, best CPU for 939 is the FX60 dual core, might not be worth the money though, especially not from a 3700+.
The#1Spot
+105|6548|byah

Bertster7 wrote:

Mitch wrote:

NeXuS4909 wrote:

Why go to AM2?

Why not Intel? You'll need to change RAM, CPU and MB anyway - why not change to something obviously much better.

BTW, best CPU for 939 is the FX60 dual core, might not be worth the money though, especially not from a 3700+.
Its much cheaper to do a budget socket conversion with amd than intel. An intel processor by its self will cover the price of a descent dual core, ram and some for the mobo.
Brasso
+1,549|6638

I have a X2 4200+, socket 939.  It's a low end CPU but I got mine to 2.92 GHz from 2.2 GHz stock on the stock HS and fan.  It's apparently a one-in-a-million CPU though, because other 4200+s were only going up around 7%.  Mine had a 33% performance gain.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6774|Cambridge (UK)

Bell wrote:

Don't bother incuring the cost of buying new motherboards and stuff to get onto AM2, if you do any upgrading of that level, just go intel.
Agreed, if you're gonna upgrade from an AMD 939 to a new mobo & CPU, an intel setup is, currently, the best option.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard