Poll

Was It the right thing to Do?

Yes64%64% - 86
No35%35% - 48
Total: 134
T1g3r217
Perpetual
+124|6446|My room
Morons. Tigers are effing endangered creatures. They're guilty of breaking their own laws. If a hunter in India had done the same thing (killing a tiger for killing his partner), he would have been fined a massive sum that his great-grandchildren would be working to pay off. The only reason these idiots get away with it is because they're "official."

Corruption rules the world. The more $$$ you have, the more crap you can get away with.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6782|Argentina
I know a man died and that's just a terrible thing.  But I stand for what I said, it wasn't the tiger's fault.  He was acting like it was meant to act.  The police acted accordingly.  They saved more lives.  But the zoo should be closed and they should make a huge investigation.  They also will have to pay the victim's family a huge ammount of money, a 7 digit number IMO. 

The thing is you can't expect a tiger to act like a kitty.  Even my cat hurts me very bad very often and it weights 12 pounds.  A tiger can weight more than 600 pounds.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6606|SE London

Simon wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Simon wrote:

I would bet money that the tiger espcaped due to an unlocked door in her enclosure, when a tiger escapes, people should know why - It was most likely the incompetence of the Zoo staff that led to this appalling killing of the tiger and man.

Personally I'm against Zoo's on the whole, wild animals should not be captured and shipped thousands of miles for the enjoyment of kids, it most likely fucks them up in the head - I hope no one is suprised that a tiger in a zoo killed someone, its a freaking wild tiger for god's sake, you can stick it in a zoo and feed it at regulated times but you can't take away it's animal instinct.
I heard it jumped across an 18ft moat and scaled a fence. It didn't just wander out.
My mistake then, I don't know much about tigers and what they are capable of. Where did you hear that from?
Radio 4 News.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6786

sergeriver wrote:

Zoos are not there for the kids amusement only.  They also are supposed to work for threatened species conservation.  That's their most important job.
There are other ways to do that instead of having a zoo.  You cannot tell me there is a zoo in damn near every major city just for conservation.  It is a huge source of revenue.
HollisHurlbut
+51|6022

sergeriver wrote:

The police acted accordingly.
Then why the earlier outrage and the poll question in the first place?

sergeriver wrote:

Why did the police shoot the tiger?

sergeriver wrote:

Use a fucking dart Ffs.
Doesn't really sound like you were of the opinion the police did the right thing.

Backpedaling.
IRONCHEF
+385|6515|Northern California
I'm no PETA supporter, but the tiger's family should sue the city, the zoo, and the pd for wrongful death. 

But seriously, the friggen zookeeper should bear 100% of the blame.  I hate zoos.  And no, people do NOT need that type of culture, experience, or exposure to animals to be well balanced or entertained.  And frankly, I'm glad the tiger got to hit on 3 people before it was taken out.  I hope that tiger had the time of his life in his few moments of freedom.  Not to take away from the tragic loss of life and injuries of the other patrons, but good for the tiger!

And yes, the police had no business shooting and killing that animal.  The zoo administration should have been able to supply the police with proper tranquilizers if they couldn't tranquilize the tiger themselves.  Ineptitude ALL AROUND yesterday.  The zoo should release all the animals (properly adjusting them to the wild they should belong to) and close up shop.  A nice park in that land space would be a much better use of that expensive land.
stkhoplite
Banned
+564|6504|Sheffield-England
I think i've seen that tiger

I went to SF a couple of years ago.
HollisHurlbut
+51|6022

IRONCHEF wrote:

I'm no PETA supporter, but the tiger's family should sue the city, the zoo, and the pd for wrongful death.
Uh, what responsibility do the police bear for a tiger escaping the zoo's custody?

And yes, the police had no business shooting and killing that animal.  The zoo administration should have been able to supply the police with proper tranquilizers if they couldn't tranquilize the tiger themselves.
But obviously they didn't and/or couldn't.  So your position is that the tiger should have been allowed to roam free, mauling innocent passersby, until such time as the police could arm themselves with a weapon more palatable to you.

That's asinine.
Skorpy-chan
+127|6369|Twyford, UK
Yes. It's a fucking maneater, you don't let things with a taste for person survive.

I am amused that it headed for the cafe, though. Even if it's a 600lb 6' long tiger, it's still a pussycat and heads for the bacon.
jimmanycricket
EBC Member
+56|6679|Cambridge, England
Cops have tasers, why didnt he use that.
IRONCHEF

HollisHurlbut wrote:

IRONCHEF wrote:

Uh, what responsibility do the police bear for a tiger escaping the zoo's custody?

And yes, the police had no business shooting and killing that animal.  The zoo administration should have been able to supply the police with proper tranquilizers if they couldn't tranquilize the tiger themselves.
But obviously they didn't and/or couldn't.  So your position is that the tiger should have been allowed to roam free, mauling innocent passersby, until such time as the police could arm themselves with a weapon more palatable to you.

That's asinine.
Duh, ok idiot.  Way to apply reason there.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6709|United States of America
Herein lies the reasoning behind killing it:

Officers approached, and fired at the animal when it began to advance towards them.
Even those who support tranq-ing it, as everyone should up until this point, should know that those darts don't take effect immediately.
IRONCHEF
Damn.  I just imagined being the SF LEO on scene walking along the path at the zoo and seing jugulars ripped from people's necks..then seeing the tiger standing there licking it's paws or something..then stopping to notice you standing there offering him a meal...and all I got is a .40 pistol.  lol

I saw it on the news last night (local news..so it took a good 10 minutes) but it didn't indicate how they took it down.  I'm guessing they used their ARs and not pistols.  But still.  Little .223 rounds to stop this thing would not give me much courage.  Maybe it was a marksman with some .308?  Maybe i should read more.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6668
people first.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6668

T1g3r217 wrote:

Corruption rules the world. The more $$$ you have, the more crap you can get away with.
you must be a preteen, or close to it.
PZmohax01
Banned
+13|6002|St.Petersburg, Russia

Mr Caek wrote:

PZmohax01 wrote:

loubot wrote:

Once predatory animals attack humans, it learns that people are a food source. This shit happens in countries like India. The only thing to do is kill the beast. I am sure the powers that be can relocate it but the animal has a way of coming back to human population. This holds true to bears in the U.S.

Yah killing it was the best, now what are they going to do with the pelt....I need a new rug
So people are wild animals too. More predatory than any others...
So you wouldn't care if a human died instead of a hamster? Think it through next time.
Lol if this is your conclusion upon my words go ahead.
(T)eflon(S)hadow
R.I.P. Neda
+456|6853|Grapevine, TX

FEOS wrote:

The zoo will pay for this, no doubt.

Defiance is correct on both counts. Cops don't carry tranq guns and the time it would have taken to get a tranq gun ready could very well have resulted in the maiming/death of more people. Additionally, it is common practice to kill an animal that has killed a human. Not out of revenge, but just in case it has decided that human flesh is its new favorite appetizer.
Zoo failed. Unfortunattly all animals will try to escape captivity, including humans. It's simple instinct. Gorilla killed or maimed a kid here in Dallas a few years ago, so gorilla was killed. I think is obviously gross neglect of having adequate living space for the animals where they screwed up. However God created animals for our survival, too.
Man < Animals every day....
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6656|949

It is standard procedure to kill any 'wild' animal that kills a human to prevent further attacks.  The zoo is at fault for not proactively stopping the tiger from getting out, but I would agree with the idea of killing the animal to save other people's life.

The tiger's family?  I think you mean the victim's family.  I'm sure they will sue the zoo and get a nice settlement.

In context of the question posed, yes, shooting the tiger was the right thing to do.  The zoo staff should be trained for these instances and should have tranquilizer darts, but they didn't.  As a result, the police had to shoot the tiger to protect the lives of other people, including themselves and the zoo staff.

Serge, I was reminded of this Bad Religion line when I read your first post:

"Hey sister bleeding heart with all of your compassion,
Your labors soothe the hurt but cant assuage temptation."

Granted, you aren't a female, but I hope you get the point.

Most zoos do not soley exist for people's amusement.  Zoos exist for animal research, habitat research, conservation, and reproduction of endangered or threatened species.  Surely, the animals 'in cages' should be treated humanely, but to deny the existence of zoos because you see them as amusement (and nothing more) is ignorant.  Even Animal Safaris here in the states have walls around them.  So maybe the question should be, how big of an enclosed habitat should these animals get?  How is it that a safari/animal kingdom is ok but a zoo isn't?  There are certainly many factors researched when building an animal enclosure, and most of them have to do with the animal's health and well-being.
PZmohax01
Banned
+13|6002|St.Petersburg, Russia

Defiance wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

It's a wild animal, it's not its fault at all.
This is where I think you take pity in the animal too much. No, it's not a wild animal. It's coarsely domesticated and fed multiple times a day, why it decided to attack (out of hunger or innate violence?) I couldn't say.
Isn't it a strange approach? A wild animal IS a wild animal, would you be happy if you were placed in a cage anyway?
ProteinRage
Hero of the Internet
+15|6494|Everywhere and nowhere
Guns? IN SAN FRANCISCO? I thought their police used flowers, candy, hand outs, and liberal politics to stop violence.
IRONCHEF
How bout NOT having zoos at all?  Research?  lol  It's called "money."  SOmeone mentioned that since there's a zoo in pretty much EVERY metro area in the world, it's clearly not for studying.  If they want to study animals, why then profit from the public?  Why make animals "perform?"

I've been to a zoo with my kids.  It's not entertaining to them.  They thought it was sad that they were captive.  That's all I needed to realize that zoo's are not only unnatural, but that they are highly hypocritical of our so-called civilized nature.  Sure it's not like gladiatorial games with humans dying or anything - and i'm not saying humans are less than animals, but dang..if little children can understand that it's bad for animals to be in cages when they realize there's a natural habitat..then how much more sadistic is it to have full scale zoos for making money?

And for what it's worth, there is an animal museum in a neighboring city that takes in wounded or otherwise incapacitated animals that are treated and released when they're capable.  The museum has stuffed animals in mock habitats.  Nothing wrong with this solution for both the entertainment and research fields.
loubot
O' HAL naw!
+470|6602|Columbus, OH

DesertFox- wrote:

Herein lies the reasoning behind killing it:

Officers approached, and fired at the animal when it began to advance towards them.
Even those who support tranq-ing it, as everyone should up until this point, should know that those darts don't take effect immediately.
True that, especially if the tiger's adrenaline is running high, it will require a longer time for the sedative to kick in.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6782|Argentina

usmarine2005 wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

Zoos are not there for the kids amusement only.  They also are supposed to work for threatened species conservation.  That's their most important job.
There are other ways to do that instead of having a zoo.  You cannot tell me there is a zoo in damn near every major city just for conservation.  It is a huge source of revenue.
No, of course most of them are crap, and a few ones serve that purpose.  But you need those working on conservation issues if you don't want tigers gone.

Last edited by sergeriver (2007-12-26 12:21:46)

usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6786

sergeriver wrote:

But you need those working on conservation issues if you don't want tigers gone.
Well you sure as hell do not need them in San Fransisco with Hank and Pat taking pictures with their cell phones.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6782|Argentina

HollisHurlbut wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

The police acted accordingly.
Then why the earlier outrage and the poll question in the first place?

sergeriver wrote:

Why did the police shoot the tiger?

sergeriver wrote:

Use a fucking dart Ffs.
Doesn't really sound like you were of the opinion the police did the right thing.

Backpedaling.
Because when I read the news I was really pissed and I wrote the poll with anger.  Then, I admitted that the police wasn't to blame, but the zoo was.  Don't be a detective here.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard