It depends on the district12%12% - 20
They should carry a baton or a taser, but no firearms12%12% - 20
Other1%1% - 3
Total: 161
Surgeons
U shud proabbly f off u fat prik
+3,097|6501|Gogledd Cymru

stryyker wrote:

Absolutely not. Guns are there to be there. If someone draws a gun, you will fucking comply.

A cop without a gun is about as effective as a mall security guard.
Thats the thing, in the UK guns are not a common thing, it's rare.
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6732|California

The Sheriff wrote:

stryyker wrote:

Absolutely not. Guns are there to be there. If someone draws a gun, you will fucking comply.

Theres the catch.

The minute the public KNOWS that police are unarmed, shit will change in an instant. Police are inherently slow and bad problem solvers, or in my area they are. Without guns, no one would take them seriously.
Surgeons
U shud proabbly f off u fat prik
+3,097|6501|Gogledd Cymru

stryyker wrote:

The Sheriff wrote:

stryyker wrote:

Theres the catch.

The minute the public KNOWS that police are unarmed, shit will change in an instant. Police are inherently slow and bad problem solvers, or in my area they are. Without guns, no one would take them seriously.
I thought we were on about Great britain here. Obviously, police need to carry in the USA, because guns are an everyday thing.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6480
As an American, police should carry firearms. While yes this does occasionally lead to mishaps, the police in America often need to deal with an assailant who is armed with a gun or other projectile weapon and thus need to have guns. In countries were gun-crime in incredibly rare, less-than-lethal weaponry may be sufficient for most types of police.
=MCHD= arush5268d
+46|6513|Houston, TX

stryyker wrote:

"True dat," sez da bunny
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6732|California

Taser gun, no less.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6729|Riva, MD
A cop without a gun is like a naked person.  Nobody wants to see it because it makes them feel unsafe.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6773

sergeriver wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

Strngs012 wrote:

Sorry Mr high and mighty, I don't live in the the perfect Utopia that is known as the UK, so I'm sorry for acting retarded. Next time I post something I'll be sure and visit your perfect society before attempting to speak my mind. Now fuck off.
When you visit, look out for foot and mouth disease. 

Now, buckles you are a Micheal Moore believer or something?  You must be to make statements like that.  Most people I know do not own guns.  I would say 2 in 10 do.  And one of those two is a cop.
But how many firearms are there in the US?

Gun ownership in US

There are approximately 44 million gun owners in the United States.6 This means that 25 percent of all adults, and 40 percent of American households, own at least one firearm. These owners possess 192 million firearms, of which 65 million are handguns. Among legal gun owners, the reasons given for owning or carrying a weapon include hunting, sports-related activities, and home protection. Among those who own handguns, 75 percent reported in a national survey that self-protection is the primary reason for owning a firearm.7

Approximately 37,500 gun sales, including 17,800 handgun sales, are completed every day in the United States. The increasing number of gun owners has elevated the danger of guns being acquired illegally through robberies and burglaries. In 1994, more than a quarter-million households experienced the theft of one or more firearms; nearly 600,000 guns were stolen during these burglaries.8

The number of youth who report that they carry weapons is significant. In 1997, 14 percent, or 1 in 7 male juveniles, reported carrying a gun outside the home in the previous 30-day period.9 In the inner city, the problem is more severe. One study involving 800 inner-city high school students reported that 22 percent said they carried weapons.10 An even greater number of convicted juvenile offenders reported carrying guns -- 88 percent, according to another study.11

Gun Deaths - International Comparisons
The US has a vast amount of land and different types of it.  People work on farms and live in places like Alaska.  I would own a gun if I lived in Idaho or somewhere like that.

Last edited by usmarine2005 (2007-12-08 15:34:54)

paranoid101
Ambitious but Rubbish
+540|6752
In the UK were I live I wouldn't want to see the average policeman armed, I just think that if our police were armed then its more likely for the criminals to arm themselves as well.

But arming them with Taser's wouldn't be a bad idea
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6783|PNW

Speaking for the US, yes. Far be it for us to insist on private gun ownership but to restrict officers of the court from exercising the same freedom (and with higher statistical reason).

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2007-12-08 15:35:51)

stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6732|California

Its in the US constitution to own a gun, so why not take advantage of that?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6783|PNW

paranoid101 wrote:

In the UK were I live I wouldn't want to see the average policeman armed, I just think that if our police were armed then its more likely for the criminals to arm themselves as well.

Ironically, police feel they have a huge license to use tasers whenever the hell they feel like it, just because they're "less-lethal." I'd feel safer if an officer had his hand on the hilt of his gun than I would if it was patting his taser with a lover's caress.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6769|Argentina

stryyker wrote:

So, in your opinion, the most relevant part of being a cop is carrying a gun?
ELITE-UK
Scratching my back
+170|6486|SHEFFIELD, ENGLAND
The UK police dont have guns, yet we have some of the best police in the world, they use other means than to point a weapon at someone.
The americans on here just dont understand a society without guns so they dont understand the uk and its police, so dont say cops without guns its utter bullshit because it works 99% of the time!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6783|PNW

ELITE-UK wrote:

The UK police dont have guns, yet we have some of the best police in the world, they use other means than to point a weapon at someone.
The americans on here just dont understand a society without guns so they dont understand the uk and its police, so dont say cops without guns its utter bullshit because it works 99% of the time!
Actually, our Chicago police are damned good with batons.
ELITE-UK
Scratching my back
+170|6486|SHEFFIELD, ENGLAND

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

ELITE-UK wrote:

EXACTLY!! HERE WE GO!
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6769|Argentina

usmarine2005 wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

When you visit, look out for foot and mouth disease. 

Now, buckles you are a Micheal Moore believer or something?  You must be to make statements like that.  Most people I know do not own guns.  I would say 2 in 10 do.  And one of those two is a cop.
But how many firearms are there in the US?

Gun ownership in US

There are approximately 44 million gun owners in the United States.6 This means that 25 percent of all adults, and 40 percent of American households, own at least one firearm. These owners possess 192 million firearms, of which 65 million are handguns. Among legal gun owners, the reasons given for owning or carrying a weapon include hunting, sports-related activities, and home protection. Among those who own handguns, 75 percent reported in a national survey that self-protection is the primary reason for owning a firearm.7

Approximately 37,500 gun sales, including 17,800 handgun sales, are completed every day in the United States. The increasing number of gun owners has elevated the danger of guns being acquired illegally through robberies and burglaries. In 1994, more than a quarter-million households experienced the theft of one or more firearms; nearly 600,000 guns were stolen during these burglaries.8

The number of youth who report that they carry weapons is significant. In 1997, 14 percent, or 1 in 7 male juveniles, reported carrying a gun outside the home in the previous 30-day period.9 In the inner city, the problem is more severe. One study involving 800 inner-city high school students reported that 22 percent said they carried weapons.10 An even greater number of convicted juvenile offenders reported carrying guns -- 88 percent, according to another study.11

Gun Deaths - International Comparisons
The US has a vast amount of land and different types of it.  People work on farms and live in places like Alaska.  I would own a gun if I lived in Idaho or somewhere like that.
I understand what you're saying.  My point is people live in far lonely places all over the world, but not all of them have firearms.  If, in the US, people had no guns, there would be no need for a cop to carry a gun.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6783|PNW

ELITE-UK wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

ELITE-UK wrote:

EXACTLY!! HERE WE GO!
However, you aren't going to see them breaking down the door of a crackhouse with naught but billy clubs under their arms.

sergeriver wrote:

I understand what you're saying.  My point is people live in far lonely places all over the world, but not all of them have firearms.  If, in the US, people had no guns, there would be no need for a cop to carry a gun.
Until a cop got killed by somebody with a gun, or somebody with better hand-to-hand training.

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

Strngs012 wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

The police faces stress situations everyday, and after all they are humans, and shit happens.  In the UK regular policemen don't carry firearms, except for North Ireland I think.  What do you think?  Should the rest of the world copy this or leaving a policeman without a firearm is dangerous for him?  Would you feel safer having a police without firearms?
Hmmmm, why don't you post this question to the families of slain police officers who were killed in the line of duty. I for one say they don't carry enough weapons and there under paid.
no, its actually really fucking lucrative to be a police officer, they get paid heaps.  every cop I know drives a foreign luxury car.
Police in my area are killing themselves to recruit. Maybe there'll be a draft soon.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2007-12-08 15:52:08)

GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6655

Strngs012 wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

The police faces stress situations everyday, and after all they are humans, and shit happens.  In the UK regular policemen don't carry firearms, except for North Ireland I think.  What do you think?  Should the rest of the world copy this or leaving a policeman without a firearm is dangerous for him?  Would you feel safer having a police without firearms?
Hmmmm, why don't you post this question to the families of slain police officers who were killed in the line of duty. I for one say they don't carry enough weapons and there under paid.
no, its actually really fucking lucrative to be a police officer, they get paid heaps.  every cop I know drives a foreign luxury car.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6655

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

ELITE-UK wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

EXACTLY!! HERE WE GO!
However, you aren't going to see them breaking down the door of a crackhouse with naught but billy clubs under their arms.
benny hill music comes to mind when i think of that mental image.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6783|PNW

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

ELITE-UK wrote:

EXACTLY!! HERE WE GO!
benny hill music comes to mind when i think of that mental image.
Or...Charlie Chaplin waddling away from John Law with a twirling cane and style? Angry arms wave as bodies collide aimlessly into furnishings.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6769|Argentina

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

paranoid101 wrote:

Ironically, police feel they have a huge license to use tasers whenever the hell they feel like it, just because they're "less-lethal." I'd feel safer if an officer had his hand on the hilt of his gun than I would if it was patting his taser with a lover's caress.
The problem with the firearm is once they shot you you are dead.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6778|UK

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

ELITE-UK wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

EXACTLY!! HERE WE GO!
You wont see that in the UK either... Its called armed police. Trained for exactly that kind of thing. Rather than sending in under trained but armed police like fodder.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6783|PNW

sergeriver wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

paranoid101 wrote:

The problem with the firearm is once they shot you you are dead.
A taser can kill you too. Particularly if you're small or have an undiagnosed heart condition. The nice thing about a firearm is that it is generally more dangerous, and a cop won't shoot you with it for driving 5MPH over the 65MPH limit. The police here think that just because they have a "less-lethal" device that they can use it whenever a whim hits.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2007-12-08 15:59:44)

velocitychaos
+26|6508|Brisbane Australia
Police carrying firearms is a response to criminals carrying firearm/gun ownership.

http://andrewleigh.com/?p=1428

http://www.justfacts.com/guncontrol.asp

When i read the stats on American gun ownership my mind boggles at how to combat the situation......SOOO many guns.

Makes me glad i live in Australia, but the gun ownership is still realatively high but our gun related crimes arn't comparitvely high.

I carry a gun every day for work.....so my little girl has a daddy to come home to her, but having worked in the industy

for a while i'm looking at getting out....bad for the nerves looking over your shoulder all the time.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard