It depends on the district12%12% - 20
They should carry a baton or a taser, but no firearms12%12% - 20
Other1%1% - 3
Total: 161
Switch
Knee Deep In Clunge
+489|6475|Tyne & Wear, England

Dragonclaw wrote:

Youre kidding right? They dont carry firearms? Thats pathetic. If someone pulls a gun on them theyre helpless. If they see someone shooting they cant do shit about it. What kind of shit government doesnt let the cops carry guns?
You miss the point, because firearms are illegal in the first place in the UK we seldom hear about officers getting gunned down, obviously sometimes it is going to happen as in the case of Sharon Beshenivsky.

As someone stated though, we have SO19, which is deployed in a situation where armed officers are actually needed.

It is our so-called shit government's policy on gun control that has us sitting happily at the bottom end of this list, and you guys at the top.

Maybe you need to take a look at yourself before calling another government shit.

Last edited by KILLSWITCH (2007-12-08 06:07:06)

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
deeznutz1245
Connecticut: our chimps are stealin yo' faces.
+483|6504|Connecticut
Ironicaly enough, we have the right to bear arms because the British thought they had the right to govern us in a land not their own by force of gun. Thanks Britian!!!
Malloy must go
deeznutz1245
+483|6504|Connecticut

KILLSWITCH wrote:

Dragonclaw wrote:

Youre kidding right? They dont carry firearms? Thats pathetic. If someone pulls a gun on them theyre helpless. If they see someone shooting they cant do shit about it. What kind of shit government doesnt let the cops carry guns?
You miss the point, because firearms are illegal in the first place in the UK we seldom hear about officers getting gunned down, obviously sometimes it is going to happen as in the case of Sharon Beshenivsky.

As someone stated though, we have SO19, which is deployed in a situation where armed officers are actually needed.

It is our so-called shit government's policy on gun control that has us sitting happily at the bottom end of this list, and you guys at the top.

Maybe you need to take a look at yourself before calling another government shit.
Blah. Per Capita stats dont mean shit.
Malloy must go
ShowMeTheMonkey
+125|6714
Perfect point.
In another thread I got pretty heated about this, if you don't know the UK DID have guns, but until the Dunblaine massacre, look it up sometime. And since that massacre guns were banned and a shooting has NEVER taken place since then.

The UK DOES NOT need guns as it is not in our culture so we never had a gun problem.

The US DOES need guns as it is in their culture and has a rampant, corrupt gun problem.
Strngs012
Could I have 10,000 marbles please
+40|6430|Florida

The Sheriff wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

Strngs012 wrote:

Apparently the UK.
They aren't issued firearms except for some officers in special situations, but I guess someone from UK could explain this better than me.
Regular police officers dont carry firearms, there are several firearms police units spread around the whole of the uk, e.g. theres one for north east wales, multiple in london and city areas, simply, the police officers dont need firearms, due to the fact that gun crime is not a major problem in the UK.
I can't speak for the UK, I don't live there so it wouldn't be fair to comment on how well the system works. All I know is how it is here in the US. I grew up just outside of NYC during a time of high crime and remember seeing the news about cops gettting killed regularly. Now I live in Fl and it's no different here. In fact the gun laws here are a little scary:
A. Child Access Prevention Law? Yes, under 16.

Juvenile Possession Law? Yes, 18 years of age and older.

Juvenile Sale/Transfer Law? Yes, 18 years of age and older.

State Requirements
Rifles and Shotguns

* Permit to purchase rifles and shotguns? No
    * Registration of rifles and shotguns? No
    * Licensing of owners of rifles and shotguns? No
    * Permit to carry rifles and shotguns? No

Handguns

* Permit to purchase handgun? No
    * Registration of handguns? No
    * Licensing of owners of handguns? No
    * Permit to carry handguns? Yes

Other Requirements

* Is there a State waiting period? Yes - three-day to five-day (depending on county) wait to get a permit to buy a handgun.*

*According to the NRA, there is a three-day waiting period to purchase a handgun from a retail establishment. Exempt from the waiting period are concealed weapons permit holders and those trading in another handgun.

* Is there a background check at the state level? Yes.

* Permit to carry a concealed weapon required? Yes

* Record of sale: No
KylieTastic
Games, Girls, Guinness
+85|6464|Cambridge, UK

Strngs012 wrote:

PureFodder wrote:

The average cop on the street shouldn't have a gun, but there should be armed response units for those occasions when armed criminals are found.
Ok Genius your the cop, you have no weapon. You come across an armed drug dealer and he has his .357 mag pointed at your face. What are you gonna do? I'll tell you what your gonna do, Your gonna think to yourself what asshole said I'm not allowed to carry a weapon because society will not benifit from both sides having a gun. Boom your dead. Too bad the armed response units couldn't get there in time to save your sorry ass.
* Because we don't have a gun culture its rare that criminals use guns - because they don't have to worry about the police or other citizens having guns.
* Even if they have guns they are less likely to pull them as if caught they will get much more prison time
* Even if they pull them they are less likely to shoot because they know the cop hasn't got a gun and it would just get more time for nothing

* There are apparently quite a lot of guns in the UK so if we gave guns to the police then instead of just being used in private to brag/threaten with, then the criminals would carry and like you say boom dead!

We'll keep are police and streets (almost) gun free thanks.
Switch
Knee Deep In Clunge
+489|6475|Tyne & Wear, England

deeznutz1245 wrote:

What are you talking about?  Per capita takes into account a nations size and represents the data fairly and accurately.  It's probably the best measure for such an issue.
Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
deeznutz1245
+483|6504|Connecticut
Here is a town that is close to me (in the same county) where all of the police officers carry firearms. Oh and by the way the majority of the town is Republican, as well as registered gun owners. In 2005 it was the 3rd safest town in America. Hhhmmm. I understand it is not the norm for all cities in the U.S., I just wanted to point out that some of ya'lls logic is flawed.

Last edited by deeznutz1245 (2007-12-08 06:23:32)

Malloy must go
ShowMeTheMonkey
+125|6714
I think this thread got quite heated and made some really good points:

http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=63391

The only thing I do like about the effects of the gun laws in America is that if you kill a cop. You're completely screwed for life, I like this.

In the UK I don't like the way a guy can shoot a cop and only get 20 years, with 11 years of non-parole. This is completely worng.
T.Pike
99 Problems . . .
+187|6294|Pennsyltucky

Here in the States most Police Officers & State Troopers are highly trained professionals who do a job most of us couldn't or wouldn't.

If they do fire their weapon they are subject to the same consequences as anyone else.  Don't let anyone tell you anything different.

Chances are though they'll end up being the ones killed for just doing their job.

I don't know how many police officers are injured or killed every year in the UK as a result of violence.

In the past few years hasn't there been a significant increase in the number of armed officers?

I don't think I have enough data to have an informed opinion.
velocitychaos
+26|6508|Brisbane Australia
Should police carry fire arms?

can i get a HELL YEAH?!

If the police handed in their firearms do you think the crims would be so obliging?

I carry a weapon for work everyday and i'm only a security gaurd and i wouldn't do the job without it and i'm rarely in dangerous situations,

imaging what the police face every day.
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6855|Reykjavík, Iceland.
They should carry batons and tasers, if they are dealing with armed individuals call in the SWAT which will have automatic weapons. (It's like this in Iceland)

Of course this wouldn't work in the states, since everybody criminal is armed there.
PureFodder
+225|6297

Strngs012 wrote:

PureFodder wrote:

The average cop on the street shouldn't have a gun, but there should be armed response units for those occasions when armed criminals are found.
Ok Genius your the cop, you have no weapon. You come across an armed drug dealer and he has his .357 mag pointed at your face. What are you gonna do? I'll tell you what your gonna do, Your gonna think to yourself what asshole said I'm not allowed to carry a weapon because society will not benifit from both sides having a gun. Boom your dead. Too bad the armed response units couldn't get there in time to save your sorry ass.
Ok Genius your a cop, you have a weapon. You come across an armed drug dealer and he has his .357 mag pointed at your face. What are you gonna do? I'll tell you what your gonna do, Your gonna think to yourself, shall I go for my gun and get my face blown off, result being you're a dead cop and there's one more gun in the hands of a criminal or shall I stick my hands up and let him take my gun, result being one more gun in the hands of criminals and the criminal not being arrested. Your stolen gun is then later used by another criminal to shoot your cop buddy.

In your situation the gun didn't seem to help much did it? (ok the last bit was extremely unlikely but you get the point)

@Deeznuts. If you don't like per capita stats then we can look at total gun homicides if you like. Approximately 70 gun homicides in the UK per year, approximately 10,000 per year in the US.

I'm not sure why people aren't following the fairly obvious logic, if cops and civillians want guns to defend themselves against armed criminals, then criminals (being people too with almost exactly the same logic, self-preservation etc. as non criminal people) will feel the need to arm themselves to defend themselves from the armed cops/civillians. As I said, the situation is different depending on whether the civillian population is armed or not. If the population is armed it makes sense that the cops should have access to the same levels of armament as the rest of the populace, plus they will be vastly more likely to need it.
.:ronin:.|Patton
Respekct dad i love u always
+946|6821|Marathon, Florida Keys
Ok, what the hell is the purpose of having a police force if they dont even carry weapons? A tazer vs. a .45 isnt going to turn out so well.
https://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g117/patton1337/stats.jpg
velocitychaos
+26|6508|Brisbane Australia

PBAsydney wrote:

They should carry batons and tasers, if they are dealing with armed individuals call in the SWAT which will have automatic weapons. (It's like this in Iceland)

Of course this wouldn't work in the states, since everybody criminal is armed there.
They should carry tasers and batons to use as a first response and carry firearms as a last defence.

What are they gonna do while they wait for the swat team? ask the crims to not use their firearms coz it wouldn't be fair?

I personally value the police very highly and their safety is of utmost importance, they are the people who are in the front line of our societies

going up against crims who have very little regard for the well being of the  administrators  of law.

They MUST carry firearms at all times while on duty untill such time as ALL criminals surrender their firearms.

Last edited by velocitychaos (2007-12-08 07:13:50)

sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6769|Argentina
I think most of you guys don't give credit to the Brits.  They know how to deal with violence.  They reduced the number of incidents with guns having policemen that don't carry firearms.  They reduced the violence in football stadiums, all the hooligans shit (that here in Argentina still prevails), and they had a serious problem with that.  So, why don't you listen to the Brits instead of posting unbelievable intelligent posts like "sighs" or "Hell yeah" or "Yipikaye"?  Cmon.  Be smarter.
mikkel
+383|6613
In response to the topic, I'd say it's entirely dependent on where in the world you are. In the US, it'd be out of the question, while in the UK, it works just fine. Nothing's really cut and dried.

deeznutz1245 wrote:

It's probably the best statistical measure for these kinds of numbers, and is undeniably completely indicative of the prevalence of something on a national level.

deeznutz1245 wrote:

Here is a town that is close to me (in the same county) where all of the police officers carry firearms. Oh and by the way the majority of the town is Republican, as well as registered gun owners. In 2005 it was the 3rd safest town in America. Hhhmmm. I understand it is not the norm for all cities in the U.S., I just wanted to point out that some of ya'lls logic is flawed.
That's not a flaw in the logic that more guns typically lead to more gun crime at all. You're pointing out a best case scenario, a best case that's very detached from the average reality. It's no surprise that these exist, as there's always going to be an example that goes against the common outcome.

It's like saying that roses grow perfectly fine on the South Pole if by some weird coincidence one single rose managed to grow out of it. That's a flawed logic.

All one has to do is look at national gun crime tendencies of countries with proliferation of firearms and compare them to the tendencies of countries with bans or insignificant proliferation to see that more firearms mean more gun crime.

Last edited by mikkel (2007-12-08 07:20:44)

=MCHD= arush5268d
+46|6513|Houston, TX

ShowMeTheMonkey wrote:

The good thing about the UK is that neither groups has guns. Yes there are a lot out there, but only used civilian v civilian.

Sorry to disagree but as soon as you give the police guns the amount of illegal guns HUGELY increases. I feel safer without guns at all.
You may feel safer, but you have no balls.  Guns don't kill people...people kill me.  Don't even tell me that you don't have homicides in the UK.  Or are knives illegal to own to?  Is it your country that's repsonsible for all the new banned items on the airlines???

deeznutz1245 wrote:

Of course it's safe...Republicans don't go aroud fighting each other .  This country would be a beautiful place without all the Democrats...then we could truly be a republic.

Theres a town in Arizona where it is perfectly legal to openly carry a handgun on your person.  No permit required.  As a result, there is essentially no crime in that town.

Last edited by =MCHD= arush5268d (2007-12-08 07:30:30)

mikkel
+383|6613

=MCHD= arush5268d wrote:

ShowMeTheMonkey wrote:

The good thing about the UK is that neither groups has guns. Yes there are a lot out there, but only used civilian v civilian.

Sorry to disagree but as soon as you give the police guns the amount of illegal guns HUGELY increases. I feel safer without guns at all.
You may feel safer, but you have no balls.  Guns don't kill people...people kill me.  Don't even tell me that you don't have homicides in the UK.  Or are knives illegal to own to?  Is it your country that's repsonsible for all the new banned items on the airlines???
No, that would be the US. I guess they have no "balls" either. You really ought to drop that infantile macho outlook on life. We're supposed to be civilised people.
=MCHD= arush5268d
+46|6513|Houston, TX
I'm well aware of who and what is responsible for the insane airline rules.  Nothing amuses me more than closing the barn doors after the horses got loose. 
I've said it time and time again....the majority of people here are law-abiding citizens.  It is a very few minority that wish to do harm, and they will get weapons regardless of any laws.  Gun control laws only hurt the good guys.
mikkel
+383|6613

=MCHD= arush5268d wrote:

I'm well aware of who and what is responsible for the insane airline rules.  Nothing amuses me more than closing the barn doors after the horses got loose. 
I've said it time and time again....the majority of people here are law-abiding citizens.  It is a very few minority that wish to do harm, and they will get weapons regardless of any laws.  Gun control laws only hurt the good guys.
It's almost amusing that you can keep repeating this obviously inaccurate sentiment after documentation of how it just isn't true has been presented to you in this thread.

Last edited by mikkel (2007-12-08 07:42:40)

KylieTastic
Games, Girls, Guinness
+85|6464|Cambridge, UK

=MCHD= arush5268d wrote:

You may feel safer, but you have no balls.
OMG! Are you serious? What is it big and manly for everybody to have guns? Its the fact that people have attitudes like this I'm glad we are almost gun free!

=MCHD= arush5268d wrote:

Guns don't kill people...people kill me.
People + guns do kill - so we are talking about not having guns, as removing the people isn't an option is it?

=MCHD= arush5268d wrote:

Don't even tell me that you don't have homicides in the UK.
Yup we have some : but we don't have many, and very few gun related.
And so what - arming the police will reduce homicides will it?

=MCHD= arush5268d wrote:

Or are knives illegal to own to?
Nope, but you have to be 16+ to buy - and talk of that going to 18+....

=MCHD= arush5268d wrote:

Is it your country that's responsible for all the new banned items on the airlines???
I thought that was due to 911 a little American thing you may have heard about!
but I think we can be certain it is nothing to do with our police not being armed (some are in airports anyway)

ffs read the TOPIC its "Should the police carry firearms?" not about your 2nd Amendment or US gun laws!
Sone
i piss excellence
+22|6535|Houston (Spring), TX
In the United States they have to.  Criminals carry guns.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6778|UK

Dragonclaw wrote:

The kind that hardly has any gun crime, unlike one retarded country I can think of.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6778|UK

Strngs012 wrote:

PureFodder wrote:

When the hell is that EVER going to happen in the UK? Something like that has happened about 2x in the last 15 years.

I have to say threads like these make me glad I live in Europe.

Last edited by Vilham (2007-12-08 08:05:56)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard