Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6727|Scotland

Hey, I wanted to know a bit more about these.

I don't know which one to pick. I want one with Paypal payment. I have narrowed it down to ThunderNews and NewsDeamon. But I have no idea which is bigger and which is better.
Also, I have no idea how these operate. Does it matter which Usenet you buy? Are most of them popular?

I want to get one because I am tired of RS. Newsgroups are that "step-up", but I don't know which one to pick.
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6703|St. Andrews / Oslo

Bumped because I'm interested as well
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6727|Scotland

Ok, well, after buying Thundernews. I can honestly tell you never to touch them.
2 hours in and I cancelled the subscription. Wasting £10. Never again.
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6703|St. Andrews / Oslo

lol, pwnt.

RS is still FTW then?
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6624
What the hell are they?
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6727|Scotland

Lucien wrote:

What the hell are they?
They are, what you could call, the elite of Rapidshare.

All the RS uploaders actually get their content from Newsgroups. They download it from there 10x faster and then upload it onto RS.

Newsgroups are basically huge server forums where people post up files. Those files are saved in the form as messages and lines, then you can open up that message and download the attached file.

There are about 5,000,000 messages posted a day. But the problem is, each server has its own amount of newsgroups, so depending on the useneet you go for, you get better or worse selection.
Canin
Conservative Roman Catholic
+280|6445|Foothills of S. Carolina

I use a program called newsleecher, works with any newsgroup site. I also have a subscription with easynews. Was like 19.00 US for one month unlimited bandwith. Newsgroups give you the full download speed potential from your ISP. Some ISPs also have their own newsserver, some are decent, some not. Any other questions, feel free to shoot me a PM.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6727|Scotland

Canin wrote:

I use a program called newsleecher, works with any newsgroup site. I also have a subscription with easynews. Was like 19.00 US for one month unlimited bandwith. Newsgroups give you the full download speed potential from your ISP. Some ISPs also have their own newsserver, some are decent, some not. Any other questions, feel free to shoot me a PM.
See, that is what I thought. But not all Newsgroups give you full ISP download speed.

I bought ThunderNews and I only got 800KB/S when my ISP internet speed is 8mb and I get 1mb/s on Rapidshare. That shows you how much ThunderNews fails.

Easynews got voted the best Newsgroup provider, so I might get that.

Edit- After looking at them, they have stopped having unlimited account and now only have 20 Gigs for a month for $9.95. No thanks, I need much more than that.
Canin

Heh, yeah, I forgot about that. I ended my subscription with them a while back. I am currently using UseNetServer.com.  They do have a monthly unlimited and their retention seems good. Give them a look.

Their monthly price is 14.95 US, and they have a SSL server for those whose ISP's throttle newsgroup bandwith.

Last edited by Canin (2007-12-02 05:52:12)

KylieTastic
Games, Girls, Guinness
+85|6423|Cambridge, UK

I dont use any these days but I have several friends that do and they all use easynews and love it (dont think it allows PayPal tho)
konfusion
mostly afk
+480|6520|CH/BR - in UK

Eh... I'm just sticking to rapidshare - it's fast enough for me, especially with IDM... And you only get delays of about 2-5 hours until something is posted online...

-konfusion
vpyroman
Aeon Supreme commander
+16|6587|UCF

Canin wrote:

Heh, yeah, I forgot about that. I ended my subscription with them a while back. I am currently using UseNetServer.com.  They do have a monthly unlimited and their retention seems good. Give them a look.

Their monthly price is 14.95 US, and they have a SSL server for those whose ISP's throttle newsgroup bandwith.
No, don't use usenetserver.com, use Giganews; Yes, Giganews is so much better... don't go to the former one because its $10 a month cheaper, and you can use multiple IP addresses to download to at the same time, and the free SSL, and the 101 day retention(on average). Giganews has.... 200 days, or something un-necessarily large like that.
Canin

vpyroman wrote:

Canin wrote:

No, don't use usenetserver.com, use Giganews; Yes, Giganews is so much better... don't go to the former one because its $10 a month cheaper, and you can use multiple IP addresses to download to at the same time, and the free SSL, and the 101 day retention(on average). Giganews has.... 200 days, or something un-necessarily large like that.
Ok, I am confused... Should I be using usenetserver or giganews?
elbekko
Your lord and master
+36|6372|Leuven, Belgium
Meh, looks like it's all pretty much useless spam these days >=/
Just subscribed to a couple using my ISP's NNTP server, but bleh.
Dieselboy
Flicker of beans since 1986
+87|6521|Reading, Basingrad

Zimmer wrote:

I bought ThunderNews and I only got 800KB/S when my ISP internet speed is 8mb and I get 1mb/s on Rapidshare. That shows you how much ThunderNews fails.
Do you mean 800Kb or 800KB?
If you have 8Mb broadband it's only running at 1MB so if you're getting 800KB/s that ain't bad!
[TUF]Whiskey_Oktober
mmmm...Toasty!
+91|6693|Oregon
a bunch of guys i know had easynews and loved it. untill a bunch of people started getting fined thousands of $$ for using it...they even sent out a cautionary email...and they all quit. ive gotten to the point where spending $50 on a game that I want IS worth it, over the possible $50,000 fine.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6571|132 and Bush

I have been using use Giganews for years and get my max download (20 mbps) at all times. I think they guarantee it (or they used to at least).

https://i6.tinypic.com/71qdtop.jpg

I also subscribe to Newzbin.

I use newsleacher on my PC and Grabit on my laptop. Grabit is free and it can now par the files back together and extract them automatically. Pretty neat.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
jsnipy
+3,276|6493|...

I used to be in them all the time before ISPs shoveled them off to third party providers. The one I had access to was Giganews. I lost interest because of the download caps and the emergence of bit torrent. Use to be you'd find almost anything you wanted; just scrape and assemble messages.

alt.binaries... you name it
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6727|Scotland

Dieselboy wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

If you have 8Mb broadband it's only running at 1MB so if you're getting 800KB/s that ain't bad!
Dude. That is shit. A friend logged into Usenet account from my computer and got 2 megs a second.

I get faster on Rapidshare than I do on Thundernews ( 1/1.5MB/s )
']['error
Banned
+630|6615|The Netherlands
ROFL my max download speed is 330kb/s
I use free newsgroups, no subscription or payments + grabit downloading program, always 300-330 kb/s for me (yeah that's fast for me )

edit: I dont understand why you actually pay for your Warez... you can just buy the legal games/programs/movies in the stores instead then, and not risking high fines?

Last edited by ']['error (2007-12-03 09:09:38)

Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6727|Scotland

']['error wrote:

I use free newsgroups, no subscription or payments + grabit downloading program, always 300-330 kb/s for me (yeah that's fast for me )

edit: I dont understand why you actually pay for your Warez... you can just buy the legal games/programs/movies in the stores instead then, and not risking high fines?
Rapidshare is not popular enough in Britain for law enforcements to start putting huge fines on us. Plus, they can't see what I am downloading half the time ( no-named files ).
It will come to a time where they do, but by that time it will be too late.

Edit - and I save about $1000 + if I pay for RS instead of buying the programs. Although I do have some expensive programs legally.
']['error
Banned
+630|6615|The Netherlands

Zimmer wrote:

']['error wrote:

Rapidshare is not popular enough in Britain for law enforcements to start putting huge fines on us. Plus, they can't see what I am downloading half the time ( no-named files ).
It will come to a time where they do, but by that time it will be too late.

Edit - and I save about $1000 + if I pay for RS instead of buying the programs. Although I do have some expensive programs legally.
But you said you subscribed to newsgroups, newsgroups isn't the same as rapidshare, is it?
You may save money with that subscription, but you're paying for "warez" (like movies, programs, games, etc.) And my idea behind so called "warez "is, that they are free. You download warez because you don't want to pay for the legal stuff. Well, that's just my opinion

What is wrong with free newsgroups? Yeah, files are on for week, it may seem short but it gives you plenty of time to download a DVD or a game(yes, even with 300kb/s it takes just takes like 3 hours?).

Last edited by ']['error (2007-12-03 09:20:04)

rubber.sex
Banned
+32|6083|London UK
www.giganews.com

you get what you pay for, best retention, SSL and up to 20 connections at once.

Giganews is the best provider one usenet and ive been a customer for years.

for .nzb's i use www.binsearch.com
Dieselboy
Flicker of beans since 1986
+87|6521|Reading, Basingrad

Zimmer wrote:

Dieselboy wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

Dude. That is shit. A friend logged into Usenet account from my computer and got 2 megs a second.

I get faster on Rapidshare than I do on Thundernews ( 1/1.5MB/s )
You do know the difference between MB & Mb don't you?
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6727|Scotland

Yes, sorry. MB = Megabyte, Mb = Megabit.
I mean the 1st one for my DL speeds.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard