Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6667
I've seen plenty of TF2 complaint threads that didn't cover any of the actual... problem, in TF2.

critical hits.

By far the most irritating feature of Team Fortress 2. There is nothing worse than losing a fight because of a random chance.
How should it be fixed? First off, a sniper should not be allowed to get critical hits for anything other than a headshot, and a spy should not get critical hits with his revolver either. If those were the only changes made, I would already be a lot happier. The sniper had his chance to pick you off with a single, well placed shot. The spy can instantly kill you with a backstab. If they cannot do their job properly, they do not deserve a critical hit to win anyway.
Given the nature of TF2, you're going to hurt in almost any fight. The way to win is to have a plan ready that lets you take the least possible damage and leave your enemy open for enough hits to kill them. However, if your enemy gets even one critical shot off, your entire plan is fucked. If you're not dead, you're badly hurt, and quite often you'll be blasted off to some place you don't want to be. All because of a random chance, that requires nothing to achieve.
Sure, if you play well, you get more critical hits. But, that really means nothing. in the commentary for TF2, one of the devs says that crits are to reward you for a killing spree. If you kill more enemies, you get more critical hits, thus you can kill more enemies. Completely messed up as that is, it doesn't even work: The difference in chances is too small to make any actual difference.

In short, it lets players randomly win without them even having to willingly do anything. It is unfair and not at all fun.

So, how to fix it? Simple - introduce a system where you need to earn your critical hits - a la the medic's ubercharge - by either fighting or doing class-specific things. For example, engineers could be able to charge up for a critical hit burst for their sentries. Scouts could be able to turn their charge into extra speed, or a 1-hit-1-kill bat that, that while activated, brings their health down. they could earn a lot of extra charge by capping points. just suggestions, and anyone could think of hundreds of awesome ways for both critical hits to be earned and to be put to use. Any such system would be fun, and a hell of a lot more fair.
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
jord
+2,382|6692|The North, beyond the wall.

jsnipy wrote:

Lucien wrote:

jsnipy wrote:

sorry no ... ranty ... besides its not like it a scale tipper

edit: ok I read it. My answer is still the same, read what I showed you
The difference in chances is too small to make any actual difference..

Please just delete your posts. I'll get rid of my replies too.
lol k
Jsnipy always argues, he likes it.
CloakedStarship
+76|6579
I love critical hits, especially when I'm a scout.  In some cases it makes the odds even, and even when it doesn't, I'm always able to laugh it off because thats just how the game is for me.
Fat_Swinub
jaff
+125|6449
There's a reason why critical hits are in the game: stalemates. They put them in so that some players could get good runs of three or four kills at a time and perhaps breaking a choke point. While normally about 20-25% (my estimate) of all your shots are critical, if you're doing well, the chance of them increases. In the end, it's all to make sure that no one is fighting over the same small plot of land for ten minutes straight. I don't see the problem really, it's just a system of you get some you lose some.
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6634|Mhz

Except it doesn't do anything to break stalemates, only thing that does that is teamwork.

Criticals serve one purpose only and thats to give crap players a chance at getting kills, they annoy the shit out of me, especially when it's a soldier.

Last edited by TheEternalPessimist (2007-11-28 13:18:10)

jsnipy
+3,276|6537|...

I hate critical hits, epscially when heavy gets them.
Darkhelmet
cereal killer
+233|6765|the middle of nowhere
I usually only ever get them with soldier, heavy, or pyro.
jsnipy
+3,276|6537|...

Darkhelmet wrote:

I usually only ever get them with soldier, heavy, or pyro.
I get them mostly when playing engineer and exchanging hits long range with shot gun. Typically occurs after a few vollies.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6485
Critical hits kick-in based on player performance. If somebody is on a rampage, or has been alive for a long time, then the chance of them getting a critical hit is increased. It's sort of like a 'combo' that builds up based on how a person is playing. I don't see anything wrong with this system: if somebody is on FIYAH, then they should rightfully dominate everyone .
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Defiance
+438|6685

TheEternalPessimist wrote:

Except it doesn't do anything to break stalemates, only thing that does that is teamwork.

Criticals serve one purpose only and thats to give crap players a chance at getting kills, they annoy the shit out of me, especially when it's a soldier.
You can assume that unless you were the person behind the idea. Considering such a cynical view (I only noticed your very fitting name after posting, edit ftw!), I'm going to go on a limb and say you were annoyed because you died. I'm sorry, what can I do to help?

Shit happens, the crits suck when you're on one end and awesome when they're on the other. It adds more of an element of luck to the game and help out every few fights. None of the classes can survive very long without repeated resupply trips or a few pocket medics.

Last edited by Defiance (2007-11-28 15:16:14)

TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6634|Mhz

Actually they piss me off when I get them too, I wan't to win a fire fight because of me, not because the game said I could with my magic mini nuke that appeared from my ass for no explicable reason, and I'm saying they don't break deadlocks as the game is full of rounds that are just hour long stalemates.

I see no use for a game mechanic that is entirely based on luck (the how well you're doing thing has to be utter bullshit as I get them in strings of 3 or 4 at the start of games quite a lot) FPS games have always been based on reactions and accuracy, not the game giving you magical powers of ultimate destruction 'coz it felt like it at the time.

EDIT: Typos FTL

Last edited by TheEternalPessimist (2007-11-28 15:51:20)

Spidery_Yoda
+399|6284
I don't mind them .

Of course, i get a bit miffed when i die from one burst of brightly coloured bullets, but whenever i get them i get a great feeling of power that the poor sap i'm shooting can't stop.

Its just an aspect of the game, and i don't mind it.

Critical soldier rockets are a differen't story altogether though. Just how big is the blast radius on those things?
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6679|NT, like Mick Dundee

Me > You lot. All of you.

Can't count how many times I've smashed a few pyros/scouts/snipers/medics then gone on a crit-fest and destroyed 3 engy set-ups on Dustbowl with 2-3 well placed rockets.

I'm sad now. My TF2 wont let me join servers. Ever.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
ShadowFoX
I Hate Claymores
+109|6545
Yeah crits sometimes piss me off when I hit someone with a shovel 3 times and they shoot me once on the verge of dieing and kill me because of a crit.
Brasso
+1,549|6645

I don't really care too much...I don't get mad at TF2, ever, while I get mad at nearly every other game.  It's all about fun.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6552|Long Island, New York

haffeysucks wrote:

I don't really care too much...I don't get mad at TF2, ever, while I get mad at nearly every other game.  It's all about fun.
QFT!
التعريفات
Squiggles
+102|6382|Cali

Poseidon wrote:

haffeysucks wrote:

QFT!
yeah! QFT
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6679|NT, like Mick Dundee

That and why bitch about crits...

Some of my best kills ever were the result of critting a heavy with the scouts scatter gun...
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
BlackHawkOo
+2|6252
I absolutely love them! You barely get any if you dont KICK ASS. An when you do kick ass it's rewarding you. Sometimes in 2fort one team is camping like hell, and when you clear out a bunch of enemies or sentries in 2-3 shots, thats JUSTICE!
Crits are good.
Fat_Swinub
jaff
+125|6449

TheEternalPessimist wrote:

It does break stalemates. Pyro criticals are a great example. They rush an outpost with perhaps a medic and heavy holding the fort. One run of critical hits at close range and even if the heavy is at 450HP he'll be dead giving the chance for the other classes to rush up.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard