elbekko
Your lord and master
+36|6397|Leuven, Belgium
Huge sigs, especially badly animated ones, make a site look immature. Not to mention it's annoying. A text sig should be more than enough, where you can put a funny message or whatever. Anything else, is, well, out of place.

Avatars are supposed to be small images that identify you - which is a good thing. Also, it aren't the avatars that make the posts have that much spacing, it are the honours.
bennisboy
+829|6642|Poundland
Okay, the original sig limits were a bit OTT, but when sigs where the size most "designers" made them, they werent very big. 40px is ridiculous though. Like my old sig wasn't exactly big https://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z118/bennisboy/sig2.png?t=1196003862

Last edited by bennisboy (2007-11-25 07:17:46)

TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6616|Mhz

elbekko wrote:

Huge sigs, especially badly animated ones, make a site look immature. Not to mention it's annoying. A text sig should be more than enough, where you can put a funny message or whatever. Anything else, is, well, out of place.

Avatars are supposed to be small images that identify you - which is a good thing. Also, it aren't the avatars that make the posts have that much spacing, it are the honours.
Funny how the spacing was fine before we had avatars...

--

Just to make a point.

Compare this sig to mine.

https://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k56/Omni_Death/sparkssig.png

Frankly mine looks shit and I'll be the first to admit it, it's an abstract so it's not meant to be anything, but you can see so little of it you could be forgiven for mistaking it for a dragons arse, or and alien tree.

120px is a perfect sig size, always was and always will be. Just disable gifs and the world is right again.

Last edited by TheEternalPessimist (2007-11-25 07:56:00)

bennisboy
+829|6642|Poundland

TheEternalPessimist wrote:

elbekko wrote:

Funny how the spacing was fine before we had avatars...

--

Just to make a point.

Compare this sig to mine.

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k56/O … rkssig.png

Frankly mine looks shit and I'll be the first to admit it, it's an abstract so it's not meant to be anything, but you can see so little of it you could be forgiven for mistaking it for a dragons arse, or and alien tree.

120px is a perfect sig size, always and always will be. Just disable gifs and the world is right again.
Thats what I'm saying, 120px is not big, its just right
jord
+2,382|6674|The North, beyond the wall.
I didn't see what was wrong with the old sigs...
elbekko
Your lord and master
+36|6397|Leuven, Belgium
The spacing wasn't fine, no. People without huge sigs still had alot of spacing. So nothing has changed.

I've always found 120px to be WAY too big. 50-60px is more than enough. Yes, 40px might not be alot, but you can fit anything you want in there.

TheEternalPessimist, your sig looks excellent the way it is now.

bennisboy, that old sig of yours is a monstrocity. Only for keeping that away this rule is very much worth it.
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6616|Mhz

elbekko wrote:

The spacing wasn't fine, no. People without huge sigs still had alot of spacing. So nothing has changed.

I've always found 120px to be WAY too big. 50-60px is more than enough. Yes, 40px might not be alot, but you can fit anything you want in there.

bennisboy, that old sig of yours is a monstrocity. Only for keeping that away this rule is very much worth it.
Dude seriously it looks shit, I hate it lol, its some abstract I found on a wallpapers site and some text stuck on it, you can't do anything else vagely good looking, a decent render wont fit, hell a shit render wont fit
elbekko
Your lord and master
+36|6397|Leuven, Belgium
It's a signature, not a bloody portfolio.
Microwave
_
+515|6651|Loughborough Uni / Leeds, UK

elbekko wrote:

Dude seriously it looks shit, I hate it lol, its some abstract I found on a wallpapers site and some text stuck on it, you can't do anything else vagely good looking, a decent render wont fit, hell a shit render wont fit
Says the eternal pessimist

THERE IS HOPE!     keep trying!
TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6616|Mhz

james@alienware wrote:

elbekko wrote:

Says the eternal pessimist

THERE IS HOPE!     keep trying!
Nah there really isn't, me, Ryan and few other people (mostly the ones who just want the best for the site) want this place to look it's best, avatars look shit, and i mean shit, pointless addition, all they've done is make work for Chuy as he now has to go about the task of completly regesigning the honours layout, pointless idea, should just be removed.

40px sigs, look odd, leave gaps in a lot of posts, leave a farcical ammount of space for anyone to work in and generally don't work. So far the sum of the 40px sigs has been some stripey lines with text over it, or an abstract background again with text dumped on it, oh and a Pyro's head with some text by it, hardly great stuff, if the only aspiration for a sig is to make someting crap remove them, they just look shit and tacky at the moment.

Last edited by TheEternalPessimist (2007-11-25 11:11:27)

Ryan
+1,230|6839|Alberta, Canada

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k56/O … rkssig.png

120px is a perfect sig size, always was and always will be. Just disable gifs and the world is right again.
That's the perfect sized sig right there, looks ridiculously perfect on these forums.
bennisboy
+829|6642|Poundland

elbekko wrote:

God your a cock, I was using it to show that hardly anyone had "big" sigs. They were mostly a reasonable size. They looked much better than these shitty sized ones.

And when I brought up avatars ages ago I was told in no uncertain terms it was stupid and not going to happen, so why the change?
viper313
One Shot, One Kill
+53|6638|Minnesota
My sig is a cartoon strip and I resized it to 40 pix.  Keeping the aspect ratio the lenght is only 125 pix.  How in the H E double hockey sticks can you read that!
gwolfman
+1|6232

chuyskywalker wrote:

1) Missing some posts. Couldn't be helped, sorry!

2) New registration system:
a - Register
b - Email Validation Check
c - Single Forum Access Granted
d - Post a "Hello My Name Is" thread
e - Be approved by Admin
f - now full member

3) Sections filled out, mods moved under appropriate release titles, a few release titles added

4) Avatars added, sig rules HEAVILY tightened.
- 3 lines of text -or- 1 line of 25 pixel high image(s) and a line of text below -or- one line of 40 pixel high image(s)

Update: Avatars may now be 180w x 60h. Sig rules stay.
Nice, that'll help cut down the crap
Hurricane
Banned
+1,153|6626|Washington, DC

viper313 wrote:

My sig is a cartoon strip and I resized it to 40 pix.  Keeping the aspect ratio the lenght is only 125 pix.  How in the H E double hockey sticks can you read that!
Be careful, we're both outlaws because we have a 40px sig AND a line of text
viper313
One Shot, One Kill
+53|6638|Minnesota

Hurricane wrote:

viper313 wrote:

Be careful, we're both outlaws because we have a 40px sig AND a line of text
OMG........ Am I going to get B4nn3d? JK

That would just make the pic worse going to the 25 pix.  The sig would look like a tic on your monitor!  Wait a sec......  a tic for a sig.  Genius!

Last edited by viper313 (2007-11-25 15:33:54)

LaidBackNinja
Pony Slaystation
+343|6705|Charlie One Alpha
Shit. My sig is no longer allowed. My beautiful, trademark Wake Island Sig. How will people recognize me now? They only knew me because I was "that guy with the Wake sig"
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine SecuROM slapping your face with its dick -- forever." -George Orwell
viper313
One Shot, One Kill
+53|6638|Minnesota

LaidBackNinja wrote:

Shit. My sig is no longer allowed. My beautiful, trademark Wake Island Sig. How will people recognize me now? They only knew me because I was "that guy with the Wake sig"
I feel your pain.
Ryan
+1,230|6839|Alberta, Canada

LaidBackNinja wrote:

I know how you feel, but don't bother trying, we won't get what we want. I've stated several good reasons why it should be changed back, and why this new rule isn't necessary, but it won't change.
viper313
One Shot, One Kill
+53|6638|Minnesota
Hey,  How about if you donate you can have a bigger sig cuz the donate badge takes up more space anyways!
jord
+2,382|6674|The North, beyond the wall.
Wait. What was the reasoning behind it anyway?

J
LaidBackNinja
Pony Slaystation
+343|6705|Charlie One Alpha

Ryan wrote:

LaidBackNinja wrote:

I know how you feel, but don't bother trying, we won't get what we want. I've stated several good reasons why it should be changed back, and why this new rule isn't necessary, but it won't change.
In that, case, I'll do it FFLink style:
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/IlmarJoubert/wakepwnt.jpg
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine SecuROM slapping your face with its dick -- forever." -George Orwell
VicktorVauhn
+319|6388|Southern California
Seriously guys?
Get fucking over it. obviously if you take some detailed picture, shrink its size in half, then completely ruin its original aspect ratio it wont work.

elbekko wrote:

You took a picture meant as a wallpaper, and tried to shrink it down to 40pixels...Then you compare it to something designed for the size it was.

All you guys talking about the smaller sigs like it is oppressing some basic artistic need to quite down. If you were so damn artistic you could made a basic design that fits in a given space.
gvers
Bad at BF:BC2
+109|6668|The Real World

What if you linked to game monitor for one of our servers. They don't provide an image that small.

Oh sorry I already know the answer.
djphetal
Go Ducks.
+346|6332|Oregon
see, there's often a ton of blank space below the sig now... especially on posters with avatars+bf2s badges or whatever. I say expand it to a 80 pixel limit at least... maybe 100. but no more than that. too big is just ugly.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard