Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6728|67.222.138.85
Thank you Redkill, you are right. We fly the map for our team, not always against the other chopper for our own benefit. Past an imminent threat, enemy armor is our top priority and we fly the map for that purpose. (Well that's how I fly the map, and if he doesn't like it well tough. )

CrazeD wrote:

When did I say I was the best?

By 1v1, do you mean chopper vs chopper? If I have a decent gunner I usually win heli fights.
We do very well against other choppers, but other than removing the threat that isn't what we spend most of our time doing. This guide wasn't meant to be a dogfight guide, that is a whole different subject. And no, we don't want to 2v2 you, we are quite content with our manhood and don't have anything to prove to you.
Gravity
Infantry Whore
+37|6862
I FLY LOW TO THE GROUND! But im good at it
Gravity
Infantry Whore
+37|6862

CrazeD wrote:

When did I say I was the best?

By 1v1, do you mean chopper vs chopper? If I have a decent gunner I usually win heli fights.
I'd 2v2 ya lol
EDIT: I <3 Double posting... (my bad) lol @ self

Last edited by Gravity (2007-02-28 22:55:57)

toutinette
+2|6281|Canada
nice guide man keep it up!!

the prob with choppers are planes: any very good jet pilot will take down a very good chopper pilot so...
ethrion
+25|6415|Hong Kong @ the moment
The guide is great for more advanced players but being utterly green when it comes to chopper flying I would just like to know: to become at least half decent enough to play online as a gunner/pilot what is the best way to learn? Would it be to play single player and train there first before venturing onto the servers as a pilot/gunner? Or are there any particular servers/players out there that are kind to noobs wanting to get better at gunning/flying in the helo?

p.s. Didnt think I should start a whole new thread for my question, that's why I tacked it on in here.

Last edited by ethrion (2007-03-19 00:39:41)

Flaming_Maniac

ethrion wrote:

The guide is great for more advanced players but being utterly green when it comes to chopper flying I would just like to know: to become at least half decent enough to play online as a gunner/pilot what is the best way to learn? Would it be to play single player and train there first before venturing onto the servers as a pilot/gunner? Or are there any particular servers/players out there that are kind to noobs wanting to get better at gunning/flying in the helo?

p.s. Didnt think I should start a whole new thread for my question, that's why I tacked it on in here.
Start in single player, you can learn a lot using your rockets against bots, dodging AA, and solo TVing. Once you have very good control of your chopper though single player doesn't let you fly against planes, hardcore AA, or even many cars shooting at you, so I would suggest getting on very small games so you don't piss off as many people.

Many times you'll be on a small game and no one is even using the chopper, so obviously that would be an ideal time to learn.
ethrion

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

ethrion wrote:

Start in single player, you can learn a lot using your rockets against bots, dodging AA, and solo TVing. Once you have very good control of your chopper though single player doesn't let you fly against planes, hardcore AA, or even many cars shooting at you, so I would suggest getting on very small games so you don't piss off as many people.

Many times you'll be on a small game and no one is even using the chopper, so obviously that would be an ideal time to learn.
Thanks mate. Problem is being based in Hong Kong at the moment the only servers with a low ping that I can use are the EA Taiwan ones. They are either rammed full (64) or totally empty! lolz. Anyway, thanks for the advice I'll give it a go. Only problem ive found with single player when practicing is the bots take the bloody helo and then never give it back!

p.s. Is there enough time to swap from pilot to gunner, fire the TV and keep control of the helo or do I need a bot pilot/friend to help me out?
Flaming_Maniac

ethrion wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

ethrion wrote:

Thanks mate. Problem is being based in Hong Kong at the moment the only servers with a low ping that I can use are the EA Taiwan ones. They are either rammed full (64) or totally empty! lolz. Anyway, thanks for the advice I'll give it a go. Only problem ive found with single player when practicing is the bots take the bloody helo and then never give it back!

p.s. Is there enough time to swap from pilot to gunner, fire the TV and keep control of the helo or do I need a bot pilot/friend to help me out?
Is getting the tv off while you're the only one in the chopper, and it is quite possible. Aim to the left just a little, when you switch seats your chopper will begin to spin, but stay level, do your tv business, and when you get back to the pilot seat your chopper will have been spinning but is in no danger of crashing. Good luck!
ethrion

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

ethrion wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Is getting the tv off while you're the only one in the chopper, and it is quite possible. Aim to the left just a little, when you switch seats your chopper will begin to spin, but stay level, do your tv business, and when you get back to the pilot seat your chopper will have been spinning but is in no danger of crashing. Good luck!
Sweet man thanks! Aircraft and Helo medals/ribbons have been the ones I just cant get up til now. Hopefully that'll change!

+1

Last edited by ethrion (2007-03-19 20:46:12)

jebusohmighty
+0|6208
hey Flaming_Maniac  great job and dnt pay no attention to wats his face CrazeD any experience chopper pilot knows the first thing to do is not to be noticed untill its to late for them to do anything ( best way to do tat is to stick low) and as u said if u get hit when ur low ur going to slow!! and ur not as experience as u need to be when ur flyin low ur  moving at an average speed of 150-250 and not poosible to get hit by a tank or any grounds units and with AA by the time they get a lock on at tat speed u should be able to get behind somthin and come back and TV the guy!!! 

yeah  ethrion  if u play single player on hard!! and ur able to fly well there trust me then ur a resnable pilot u can lose half ur heath by a boot in a car!! its so unrealistic but its a hell of a traning ground it will covery everything u need except comiing against jets!!!

seat switch is my favourite thing start of in single player om easy and get a bit of hit say 150 alltidue and press F2 and quickly right click ur chopper will instatly start to swin right so aim a bit to the left and shoot and find ur target and dont worry u have ages ur chopper will keep spining for a while then eventuall turn off and start fallin but i douth ull be in tv giude 4 tat long!! yeah then press F1 and take back control!!

some advice in switchin dnt switch if ur to close to the ground ur engine will turn off!! dnt switch if ur not very staright!!!

yep tats it tv ing an enemy chopper is much faster than using rockets and tv missiles are great for hitin AA or anti airs so practic with it in single get used to it and take it to online

jebus
elite-sniper697
Dirty.^Elite<3
+15|6199
i think crazed is a jerk and real cool post flaming!!! crazed if your good at piloting you never stay in one position in chopper, you keep moving. unless you solo pilot then u need some hight...
cow_with_a_gun_573
+0|6264
Great guide Flaming_Maniac, I completely agree with all you've said.

And as for CrazeD, it's not that I neccesarily disagree with what he's saying (I do, bu thats not my point ) it's the principle of criticizing a guide (over 1 line no less!).

Again thanks Flaming_Maniac, I would +1 you if I could.
[pt] KEIOS
srs bsns
+231|6674|pimelteror.de
it depends on the threats you´re facing, if you fly high or low. a good pilot should know them and adapt to the situation.
san4
The Mas
+311|6710|NYC, a place to live
Flying low can provide good cover from another chopper, but I don't see how you can take out an enemy chopper when you are low. And aren't you almost constantly trying to shoot down the enemy chopper?
Flaming_Maniac

san4 wrote:

Flying low can provide good cover from another chopper, but I don't see how you can take out an enemy chopper when you are low. And aren't you almost constantly trying to shoot down the enemy chopper?
Are you saying when you've seen me fly, I'm always trying to shoot down the enemy chopper, or that you should always be trying to take out the enemy chopper?

You can't take out an enemy chopper if you are too low. You don't need much for the first shot, but you need probably at least 30m to tilt back and give your gunner a shot, depending on how high the enemy is. Also, remember the pilot can use ctrl to look around with the mouse in the cockpit. Once you get the initial shot off, assuming you missed and aren't dead yet, try to either get behind something (big ass tower, mountain, etc.) if you're far away from them, then climb, or if they're close fly straight under then and try to keep directly below them as you gain altitude. If both opponents know where the other is, then whoever has the high ground has an advantage, plain and simple. Try to get as even with them as you can, but don't be so concerned with altitude you completely stop trying to shoot them or throw cover out the window.

If someone has gotten directly below you and is trying to gain altitude directly beneath you as I just suggested, get down. Half twist and half loop (it has a name, I think reverse Immelman) to bring your altitude down to about equal theirs or 20m less. Yes you just lost your height advantage, but if you have enough trust in your gunner to make the shot, the element of surprise you just gave yourself is significantly more valuable. Chances are they'll be looking significantly up, you might even get a second shot in if you miss the first.

You always want to shoot down the enemy chopper when it's up. Overall you want to take down as many hard targets for your team as you can. If the only thing the attack choppers do is take each other down and then camp to make sure the other doesn't get up, that doesn't do a damn thing for either team but tie up four people does it? Eliminate all the threats to yourself, but then go looking for a flag to defend, a tank or apc to take out, something.
san4
The Mas

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

san4 wrote:

...You can't take out an enemy chopper if you are too low. ... If both opponents know where the other is, then whoever has the high ground has an advantage...You always want to shoot down the enemy chopper when it's up.
That answers the question I was confused about. It sounds like you're saying flying low is good except when the enemy chopper is in the air.
Flaming_Maniac

san4 wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

san4 wrote:

...You can't take out an enemy chopper if you are too low. ... If both opponents know where the other is, then whoever has the high ground has an advantage...You always want to shoot down the enemy chopper when it's up.
That answers the question I was confused about. It sounds like you're saying flying low is good except when the enemy chopper is in the air.
Yeah, once you know a threat is in the air you have to deal with it, and that usually means gaining some altitude. Don't stay 2m off the ground trying to take out the enemy chopper.
san4
The Mas
I always fly high so I can engage in evasive maneuvers when I'm attacked, but it makes sense that obstacles can perform the same function as evasive maneuvers if you fly low. I'm definitely going to try that. +1 for you if it works
Flaming_Maniac

san4 wrote:

I always fly high so I can engage in evasive maneuvers when I'm attacked, but it makes sense that obstacles can perform the same function as evasive maneuvers if you fly low. I'm definitely going to try that. +1 for you if it works
Good luck with that!

Really you're right, as far as survivability it doesn't make much sense to fly low, but it makes you more effective to your team. I look at it from a perspective of looking for ways to evade and engage air targets while starting at low altitude instead of looking for ways to be effective against ground targets from a high altitude.
Skorpy-chan
+127|6366|Twyford, UK
No mention of the threat of infantry while flying at said low altitude? Admittedly we're not much threat most of the time, but, say, what if you catch an AT missile when flying low over an alleyway? Sounds improbable, but I have a fast trigger finger with those things when being buzzed. And then you're vulnerable to bullets, too, as you're low on health.
Flaming_Maniac

Skorpy-chan wrote:

No mention of the threat of infantry while flying at said low altitude? Admittedly we're not much threat most of the time, but, say, what if you catch an AT missile when flying low over an alleyway? Sounds improbable, but I have a fast trigger finger with those things when being buzzed. And then you're vulnerable to bullets, too, as you're low on health.
When you're at very low health, you're really vulnerable to an m95 or a few bullets from a .50 cal, so your best bet is flying as absolutely low to the ground as possible (I'm talking less than 3m) and hope there aren't any threats in your immediate vicinity. Your best bet is using buildings and trees to covers your retreat.

You will always catch a few AT missiles flying this way, but it's not too hard to just circle around, remove the threat, get repairs and go at it again. When you back off if you get to around 30-50m, start circling, and then change the direction of your circle about ever 3/4 of a circle, (preferably putting the building the AT guy is hiding behind between you and him when you change directions) you're a tough target. And after all, this goes back to my idea of working for the team. Infantry is not your first goal, but you want to take out as many threats as possible for your team.

(thinking sharqi as I write this)
multiplying_monkey
+1|6021|Melbourne
Good tips. If I ever get into an attack chopper this is gonna be handy.
too_money2007
+145|6330|Keller, Tx
Muwahahaha. One of the reasons people hate my chopper vids is due to the fact that I pretty much own everything. "It's easy when other helo's don't evade!" Am I supposed to apologize that the other pilot blows and I'm a soloing God? Nope. Noobs.
Flaming_Maniac

too_money2007 wrote:

Muwahahaha. One of the reasons people hate my chopper vids is due to the fact that I pretty much own everything. "It's easy when other helo's don't evade!" Am I supposed to apologize that the other pilot blows and I'm a soloing God? Nope. Noobs.
...does this have anything to do with the guide?
hans76petter
+1|5975
Thank you Flaming, that is what us noob  pilots need, people who tell us what  do rather then tell us to stop flying.
been flying more chopper now and I'm getting better.
cover is the only way to survive if there are Good pilots on the map, and they all want to kill me : p

+1 if i could

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard