DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6601|Finland

Yes, it's me. Your friendly moderator. I felt the need to make a small public service announcement, so here goes:

I enjoy having song titles as my thread titles, btw.

The hostility of some forum members is skyrocketing at the moment. Apparently some of you feel that you need to boost your egos by e-kicking others in the stomach. You know those "bf2s.com is dying"-threads? Well, they've been false before, but I'm sure that if anythings going to kill it, it will be the long-term members themselves.

New members and you

Yes, they should search. So should you have done also when you first started out here; some of you did, most of you didn't. So, if you spot a new member asking a simple question to which you know the answer, don't spam the thread directly with "fail" and "search", but rather answer him, encourage him to search, and click report. Hell, you could even say "welcome to the forums". Would that be too difficult? Apparently it is, for some. You all were newbies once.

Correct
Incorrect

Notice how the asshole-answers were given by BF2s game admins? Way to go on the "exemplary behaviour", eh?

How do you expect this place to continue flourishing if you behave like it's your "special little club"?

Hostile behavior between veteran members

I've got four words for you: Benefit. Of. The. Doubt.

Don't label people directly as assholes, just because everyone else have done so for ages. Let them prove themselves to be assholes first (or good guys, for that). Some exceptions can be found here, but cdog isn't a veteran member since his accounts don't last long enough.

E.g. Frag vids: be a bit more constructive than "/fail" (that'll cost you) or "you suck, as always".

"Breaking the law, breaking the law!"

If you're a long term member, you have lots of karma and people admire you, that doesn't give you any more special rights to be a complete prick. Yes, it helps, I'll grant you that, but prolonged idiocy will get you permanently removed. Disregarding multiple encouragements to clean up your act will get some of your special rights removed, and maybe even your account removed. If you have received "BF2s Honors", this means that you will set an example to others.

Then there are the people who feel that their rights have been violated due to deleted posts and closed threads. It's not our (moderators) fault that your posts lack in content, flame or just plain and simply break forum rules. Angry about AWM:s? You should know what to do so that you won't get them anymore, and still be an active poster! If not.. ..well, in the words of many here.. ..sux2bu.

In conclusion..

I'd like to see less hostility here in the future. Be helpful, contribute to the forums, read the rules. Remember to have fun, joke around, mess about, but don't spread misinformation to new guys needing help. I mean, if you're used to friendly fights between each other, then so be it. Sarcasm, always fun, but if anything is used excessively, it starts to get tiresome and irritating.

I only scratched the surface in this post, but please add your views in this thread.

-Don-
I need around tree fiddy.
Buckles
Cheeky Keen
+329|6526|Kent, UK
This got anything to do with the postage last night, and my Spice Girls song?

EDIT:
I'll be good, i swear!! *flees room in tears*
^School of Rock reference^

Last edited by Buckles (2007-08-10 02:47:03)

Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6726|Scotland

*Zimmer nods very seriously*
*Zimmer believes that the operation was a succes*
Surgeons
U shud proabbly f off u fat prik
+3,097|6459|Gogledd Cymru

Buckles wrote:

EDIT:
I never noticed how funny you were before, go back to your Wii
some_random_panda
Flamesuit essential
+454|6360

DonFck, yes, I know, the post hasn't disappeared.

The karma link stuffed up, that's all.
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6702|St. Andrews / Oslo

Zimmer wrote:

*Zimmer nods very seriously*
*Zimmer believes that the operation was a succes*
*Jenspm punches Zimmer in the Stomach*
*Jenspm nods at DonFck*

Good Post.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6619
Sure thing doc

Last edited by ..teddy..jimmy (2007-08-10 03:19:16)

Buckles
Cheeky Keen
+329|6526|Kent, UK

Mr.Surgeons wrote:

Buckles wrote:

EDIT:
I never noticed how funny you were before, go back to your Wii
I hope that is honesty and not sarcasm
And i got a game to test now, Mario Picross.
Worst game EVER. Didnt even get release in Europe first time around
shoopysean
+11|6105
Hi,

I'm really new to BF2 and BF2s and I'd like to just say I learnt about the "search rule" after my first post and was kindly told so and my question answered. I would also like to point out that my time so far on BF2s.com has been great and everyone seems to be very friendly. I hope this trend continues.
So hi and I hope to like this site well into the future.
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6601|Finland

shoopysean wrote:

Hi,

I'm really new to BF2 and BF2s and I'd like to just say I learnt about the "search rule" after my first post and was kindly told so and my question answered. I would also like to point out that my time so far on BF2s.com has been great and everyone seems to be very friendly. I hope this trend continues.
So hi and I hope to like this site well into the future.
Good to hear that you've been welcomed by the veterans

I hope you enjoy your stay!
Switch
Knee Deep In Clunge
+489|6433|Tyne & Wear, England

DonFck wrote:

New members and you

Yes, they should search. So should you have done also when you first started out here; some of you did, most of you didn't. So, if you spot a new member asking a simple question to which you know the answer, don't spam the thread directly with "fail" and "search", but rather answer him, encourage him to search, and click report. Hell, you could even say "welcome to the forums". Would that be too difficult? Apparently it is, for some. You all were newbies once.
I see examples of this time and time again, and it really pisses me off.  I get the feeling that some members get off on some kind of power trip by bashing new members who perhaps aren't acquainted with the forum culture.  I.e.  when their first thread has been discussed before, and current members reply with things like "SEARCH you nub" and "/Fail".  As Don says, I am sure you are guilty of the same thing when you first joined.  Stop being so fucking hypocritical.

What some people fail to realise, is that the long term survival of BF2s depends upon new members.  "Members die and new ones are born", don't try and scare them off by forcing them to think that the forum is full of arse holes.

+1 to you Don for your words of wisdom.
Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
KylieTastic
Games, Girls, Guinness
+85|6422|Cambridge, UK

Aye, totally agree - been way to much negative stuff recently.
RavyGravy
Son.
+617|6375|NSW, Australia

remember its ok to get off your high horse and help a new guy out, you wont die if you do.
Buckles
Cheeky Keen
+329|6526|Kent, UK
One thing I'll say about new members (and it's not a dig) is that, before joining and posing on a forum, I always read the rules, and in the case of BF2s here, i was a browser for a good few months before i made an account. Now, i maybe made some dumb posts at first, but it was a while before i started my first topic anyways.

But from a vet member's point of view, it's kinda annoying when a forum newbie creates a topic asking a question that has been discussed to death.

Maybe it might be a good idea to make it necessary to view the rules page during the account creation process?
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6601|Finland

Buckles wrote:

One thing I'll say about new members (and it's not a dig) is that, before joining and posing on a forum, I always read the rules, and in the case of BF2s here, i was a browser for a good few months before i made an account. Now, i maybe made some dumb posts at first, but it was a while before i started my first topic anyways.

But from a vet member's point of view, it's kinda annoying when a forum newbie creates a topic asking a question that has been discussed to death.

Maybe it might be a good idea to make it necessary to view the rules page during the account creation process?
I did actually browse through your posts from ye olde early days, and noticed that you made yourself at home right away.
Switch
Knee Deep In Clunge
+489|6433|Tyne & Wear, England

Buckles wrote:

Actually I remember my very first post on these forums, and recall a member trying to derail it.  I guess they just saw a poor little newbie with 0 Karma.  I just realised that person was YOU.  Don't worry, no hard feelings .
Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
Buckles
Cheeky Keen
+329|6526|Kent, UK

KILLSWITCH wrote:

Actually I remember my very first post on these forums, and recall a member trying to derail it.  I guess they just saw a poor little newbie with 0 Karma.  I just realised that person was YOU.  Don't worry, no hard feelings .
That was the Roy Keane thing, right? Yeah sorry about that. I was a bit of a nublet back then. Though, i really didn't care, in all honesty
*shakes hands with KILLSWITCH*

DonFck wrote:

I did actually browse through your posts from ye olde early days, and noticed that you made yourself at home right away.
Yeah, though i was i bit of a git sometimes^^
got loads of AWMs and a couple Bans when i was a forum kiddie
jsnipy
+3,276|6492|...

All good points and delivered tactfully.
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6433|cuntshitlake

*DeathUnlimited is now rocking Judas Priest - Breaking the Law [02:38m/320kbps]
*DonFck is in DeathUnlimited:s post, rocking to Pantera - Fucking Hostile
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6619
Can we make exceptions for Bennet's threads?
Buckles
Cheeky Keen
+329|6526|Kent, UK

..teddy..jimmy wrote:

I assume so because he's not a newbie, he's a nublet vet member
..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6619
^^Agreed but I need confirmation from Donnie..
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6601|Finland

..teddy..jimmy wrote:

Read the OP. You'll find the answer

OP wrote:

Don't label people directly as assholes, just because everyone else have done so for ages. Let them prove themselves to be assholes first (or good guys, for that).

E.g. Frag vids: be a bit more constructive than "/fail" (that'll cost you) or "you suck, as always".
Buckles
Cheeky Keen
+329|6526|Kent, UK

DonFck wrote:

..teddy..jimmy wrote:

Read the OP. You'll find the answer

OP wrote:

Don't label people directly as assholes, just because everyone else have done so for ages. Let them prove themselves to be assholes first (or good guys, for that).

I think he's more than proven himself to be an asshole.
But at least most people keep their critisism towards him semi-constructive and detailed...
Ubersturmbannfuhrer
I am a fucking homosexual
+211|6576|Parainen, Finland
For once I´m innocent!!!

Well spoken, Broder!!!!

+1 to you you fucking karma whore

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard