san4
The Mas
+311|6698|NYC, a place to live
About a month ago I made a few movies of various aircraft for my 3-year-old nephew who loves planes. While I was putting them together I tried to anticipate questions he might ask, such as why does the F-35B have a booger on its nose and why does it have a strange doodle on its back.

I asked people if they knew why it had the booger and the best answer seemed to be that it is some kind of electronic sensor, and probably just test equipment not on the final production model. (I also got some funny answers, like it is an ass-scratcher or it is used to impale helicopters and infantry, but I think my nephew is too smart to fall for any of those.) I got mercilessly flamed in that thread so it's taken me a full month to recover my fragile self-confidence and post my second question.

What the hell is the design on the back of the F-35B?

https://img28.picoodle.com/img/img28/9/8/8/f_F35BInsignim_bb2b2e3.jpg

The doodle is on the F-35B in real life:

https://img03.picoodle.com/img/img03/9/8/8/f_tbleadlg83m_4de886d.jpg

Thoughts?
0ji
+36|6238|Estados Unidos
I think it opens up so the plane can be refueled by when refueling in mid-air.

Last edited by 0ji (2007-08-08 20:05:04)

Stimey
­
+786|6130|Ontario | Canada
Its a man doing a jumping jack.
­
­
­
­
­
­
r2zoo
Knowledge is power, guard it well
+126|6606|Michigan, USA
I do not know what the design is for, however the doors its painted on are auxilary engine intake doors for the fan immediatly in front of them.

Last edited by r2zoo (2007-08-08 20:07:54)

Bevo
Nah
+718|6531|Austin, Texas

0ji wrote:

That would be my guess.
AdamBenson
Wannabe Heli Whore
+19|6545

MadKatter wrote:

0ji wrote:

That would be my guess.
Ya probably a visual marker to help line it up
Master*
Banned
+416|6505|United States

Stimey wrote:

lulz
r2zoo
+126|6606|Michigan, USA

AdamBenson wrote:

MadKatter wrote:

0ji wrote:

That would be my guess.
This is most likly as its featured on both basic models(standard and STOVL) and the refueling port is located further back on the frame.
TGMaverick
+16|6240
As stated - looks like it's the hatch for the mid-air refueling system...

http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jor … lation.ogg
Cpt.Snewo
+4|6132
Yea.
nonexistentusmc
+26|6455|Queens, NYC
Yes, it's a marker for the air refueling door. I think most if not all USAF aircraft have it. The Navy uses a drogue and chute method, so there's no need for markers in their aircraft. The USMC uses naval aircraft as well, but I don't know how refueling is done on the USMC F35.
kerywerk23
+1|6649

AdamBenson wrote:

MadKatter wrote:

0ji wrote:

That would be my guess.
You are correct. 

It is the in flight refueling visual aid.  On another note, This raises an interesting question...  The Navy uses the reverse of this system wherein the plane/chopper has a probe and the flexible refueling line is dragged via a small stablizing chute. Did the F-35 joint fighter being used by all flying branches of the US military standardize the refueling receptical?  Is the Navy going to this standard?  Or will the Navy and Marine version have the pop-out probe...  Did Dice/EA mess up again?  (researching)

*I did notice they fixed the lift fan doors in the game*
Xblade-3o5-
Oi, Suzy!
+113|6763|Florida, United States

Cpt.Snewo wrote:

Yea.
Check ur pm
r2zoo
+126|6606|Michigan, USA

kerywerk23 wrote:

AdamBenson wrote:

MadKatter wrote:

That would be my guess.
You are correct. 

It is the in flight refueling visual aid.  On another note, This raises an interesting question...  The Navy uses the reverse of this system wherein the plane/chopper has a probe and the flexible refueling line is dragged via a small stablizing chute. Did the F-35 joint fighter being used by all flying branches of the US military standardize the refueling receptical?  Is the Navy going to this standard?  Or will the Navy and Marine version have the pop-out probe...  Did Dice/EA mess up again?  (researching)

*I did notice they fixed the lift fan doors in the game*
The Navy version does use the standard navy probe, while the other models use the USAF version.  Hope that explains it.
kerywerk23
+1|6649
Both the F35B (the Marine VTOL version in the game) and the F35C (the  Navy Carrier based version will have the Navy style pop-out refueling probe.

EA/Dice messed up again.  The 'doodle' should not be on the game's version of the F35.
Silentkillr69
+6|6188|Chicago

0ji wrote:

yeah. thats my guess.
kerywerk23
+1|6649

kerywerk23 wrote:

Both the F35B (the Marine VTOL version in the game) and the F35C (the  Navy Carrier based version will have the Navy style pop-out refueling probe.

EA/Dice messed up again.  The 'doodle' should not be on the game's version of the F35.
Somebody did doodle because it's not supposed to be there!
r2zoo
+126|6606|Michigan, USA
From what im reading now, EA screwed up even more, the F-35B isn't suppsoed to have an internal gun, although a external can be fitted.

Global Security wrote:

It carries a refueling probe fitted into the right side of the forward fuselage, rather than the U.S. Air Force standard refueling receptacle normally located on the top surface of the aircraft. The STOVL variant carries no internal gun, though a missionized external gun is an option. It shares all the electronic gear of the U.S. Air Force variant, and virtually an identical cockpit layout except for a lever to switch between wingborne and jetborne modes. Performance and stealth characteristics are also very similar. The STOVL variant, designed to replace the AV-8B Harrier, has more than twice the range on internal fuel, operates at supersonic conditions, and houses internal weapons.

Wikipedia wrote:

Armament

1 × GAU-12/U 25 mm cannon — slated to be mounted internally with 180 rounds in the F-35A and fitted as an external pod with 220 rounds in the F-35B and F-35C
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ … t/f-35.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-35_Lightning_II#F-35B

Last edited by r2zoo (2007-08-08 20:41:41)

kerywerk23
+1|6649

r2zoo wrote:

From what im reading now, EA screwed up even more, the F-35B isn't suppsoed to have an internal gun, although a external can be fitted.

Global Security wrote:

It carries a refueling probe fitted into the right side of the forward fuselage, rather than the U.S. Air Force standard refueling receptacle normally located on the top surface of the aircraft. The STOVL variant carries no internal gun, though a missionized external gun is an option. It shares all the electronic gear of the U.S. Air Force variant, and virtually an identical cockpit layout except for a lever to switch between wingborne and jetborne modes. Performance and stealth characteristics are also very similar. The STOVL variant, designed to replace the AV-8B Harrier, has more than twice the range on internal fuel, operates at supersonic conditions, and houses internal weapons.

Wikipedia wrote:

Armament

1 × GAU-12/U 25 mm cannon — slated to be mounted internally with 180 rounds in the F-35A and fitted as an external pod with 220 rounds in the F-35B and F-35C
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/aircraft/f-35.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-35_Lightning_II#F-35B
Plus they left the testing nose mounted pito tubes on in the game.  And put F-18s on the deck of an amphibious assault ship (Iron Gator)
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6771

Why are you on top of a plane with a wrench?
AWSMFOX
Banned
+405|6473|A W S M F O X

Stimey wrote:

QFT
san4
The Mas
+311|6698|NYC, a place to live

usmarine2005 wrote:

I was showing my nephew how to kill a pilot by bashing him with a wrench.

Actually, that's not true. The real answer is that before I flew each jet in the videos I walked around it and on top of it to show my nephew what it looked like. He goes to the airplane museum every couple of weeks and this was like a substitute for a trip there. I held a wrench during the videos because my sister didn't want her 3-year-old son to see a gun.
[Fin]Dami3n
something else
+53|6231|Finland

san4 wrote:

usmarine2005 wrote:

I was showing my nephew how to kill a pilot by bashing him with a wrench.

Actually, that's not true. The real answer is that before I flew each jet in the videos I walked around it and on top of it to show my nephew what it looked like. He goes to the airplane museum every couple of weeks and this was like a substitute for a trip there. I held a wrench during the videos because my sister didn't want her 3-year-old son to see a gun.
to see a gun or knife ;D
DAN5:14
+3|6144
It's a "friendly alien" symbol, just in case the little green bastards launch a retaliation attack for us shooting them down in Roswell.  Theoretically if it works like it's supposed to, the aliens will see the symbol and have to look it up in their cross reference symbol listing, which will give us the time we need to smoke em out of the sky and dissect whats left of their slimy green bodies.

or it could be a mid-air refeuling thingy.
daddyofdeath
A REAL Combat Engineer in the house
+187|6263|UK Bradford W,Yorks. Age 27
Isn't in the airbrake? I think it is.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard