Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6716|67.222.138.85
I recently bought an XFX nForce 680i LT SLI motherboard and have it in my case, but it strongly recommends an 8 pin power connection, while my PSU only has one 4 pin connection. I can turn on my computer and all the fans and lights come on, but it does not boot, and I suspect my CPU isn't turning on. Could not having an 8 pin connector be causing this problem? Do I need a new PSU?
Hurricane
Banned
+1,153|6640|Washington, DC

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

I recently bought an XFX nForce 680i LT SLI motherboard and have it in my case, but it strongly recommends an 8 pin power connection, while my PSU only has one 4 pin connection. I can turn on my computer and all the fans and lights come on, but it does not boot, and I suspect my CPU isn't turning on. Could not having an 8 pin connector be causing this problem? Do I need a new PSU?
Before you plunk down cash for a new PSU, check if your PSU has another 4 pin connector that's the same as the one plugged into your motherboard.
Hurricane
Banned
+1,153|6640|Washington, DC

Hurricane wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Before you plunk down cash for a new PSU, check if your PSU has another 4 pin connector that's the same as the one plugged into your motherboard.
Also, Hurricane, he could try this converter cable

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6812201005

Well me, it's been nice talking to me.
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6775|Cambridge (UK)

Hurricane wrote:

Well me, it's been nice talking to me.
Seek help.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6716|67.222.138.85
Tried the converter cable, still not working, methinks dead mobo. Anyone have experience with Newegg RMA?
Darkfire
Helping you help yourself
+34|6488| Texas

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Tried the converter cable, still not working, methinks dead mobo. Anyone have experience with Newegg RMA?
Yep, I had to RMA some RAM that was defective a couple months back. Excellent service, easy to work with. It shouldn't be a problem

But then, I do have a lot of experience with broken mobos as in the past year i have had to send 6 defective boards back to abit. 6. The original was defective followed by 5 others. Their tech support officially hates me
taxi2you
+22|6654|Missouri
8 pin?  I am assuming you are running a dual core and then yes you should have the 8 pin connecter to run it.  You can get a decent 700w SLI PSU for $100us or a little more.  If you have an old PSU you can use that one to McGyver it until you can get a new one.

Also check to see if you RAM is all the way in.  I have an identical EVGA board and I brusied my thunbs putting them in. One wasn't seated correctly and had the same trouble on first start up.

Last edited by taxi2you (2007-08-08 16:07:28)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard