Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6767|Cambridge (UK)
Drop some acid/mushrooms/hash-cake, and then watch it again...

Trust me, it'll all then start to make much more sense...

SFCCDailey
Banned
+106|6717|USA

TheAussieReaper wrote:

Alot of ppl say the same thing about the movie Bladerunner. I like it, but have plenty of friends who hate it or don't get it.

2001 is a good movie, but very layered.
BladeRunner is one of the Greatest movies ever made! But I didn't like it when I originally saw it.
golgoj4
+51|6775|North Hollywood

Ninja_Kid2002 wrote:

Oh, and for those who say I don't like it because I don't understand it. True, I don't, but then I don't understand Revolver and I love that film. It just keeps you thinking about it ages after it's finished.

P.S. Armageddon and Depp Impact are big piles of shit too, Don't try and sully my good name by pretending I like those just because I don't like 2001.
But you obviously wouldnt know a good movie if it kicked you in the balls. So if your not an Armageddon fan, maybe its the '3 Ninjas' franchise?
Ninja_Kid2002
+119|6268|Floodsville, TN, (UK really)

Bertster7 wrote:

Ninja_Kid2002 wrote:

Braddock wrote:

'2001 A Space Odyssey' is one of the best films ever made, perhaps you should have watched 'Armageddon' or 'Deep Impact' instead.
Well it's 78th on IMDB, lower than Aliens and Alien. Discuss.
You quite clearly didn't understand the film or Blade Runner. I'd recommend you don't watch any other Kubrick stuff, or any of David Lynch's stuff or any other films that are intellectually stimulating.

2001 is rated directly above Terminator 2 on IMDB, other films it is above include Die Hard, Gone with the Wind (most profitable film of all time at the cinema), 8 1/2 and Full Metal Jacket - trying to use those listings to claim it's not one of the best films ever is pretty stupid.

Ninja_Kid2002 wrote:

Oh, and for those who say I don't like it because I don't understand it. True, I don't, but then I don't understand Revolver and I love that film. It just keeps you thinking about it ages after it's finished.

P.S. Armageddon and Depp Impact are big piles of shit too, Don't try and sully my good name by pretending I like those just because I don't like 2001.
You loved Revolver?

Oh dear..........
You didn't like Revolver?

Oh dear.........
Ninja_Kid2002

golgoj4 wrote:

Ninja_Kid2002 wrote:

But you obviously wouldnt know a good movie if it kicked you in the balls. So if your not an Armageddon fan, maybe its the '3 Ninjas' franchise?
Er...there are 4 ninjas, and they're called Donatello, Michael-Angelo, Leonardo and Rafael!
Buckie
+1|6133
there is another way to enjoy a Kubrick film ...... "cough"chemical enhancement "cough"
Dersmikner
+147|6499|Texas
Dude, did you seriously think about that movie in terms of when it was made? Think about the book when it was written. That book was so fucking far ahead of its time it's not funny. NOTHING made today is nearly so prescient.

Did you know that Arthur C. Clark was the FIRST person to suggest SATELLITES? Your life would SUCK balls without that guy, and that book. It was HIS IDEA to bounce signals off dishes in geosynchronous orbit.

How about the space shuttle they flew to the space station?

How about the space station itself?

How about the tiny little thing of the guy putting the CREDIT CARD into the VIDEO PHONE and talking to his daughter?

Come on. The book was genius, the guy was genius, and the movie was genius. I'm sorry you have all gotten used to World of Warcraft and Battlefield II and mobile phones that play Myspace, but my God, the guy was basically the Oracle at Delphi.
Ninja_Kid2002

Dersmikner wrote:

Dude, did you seriously think about that movie in terms of when it was made? Think about the book when it was written. That book was so fucking far ahead of its time it's not funny. NOTHING made today is nearly so prescient.

Did you know that Arthur C. Clark was the FIRST person to suggest SATELLITES? Your life would SUCK balls without that guy, and that book. It was HIS IDEA to bounce signals off dishes in geosynchronous orbit.

How about the space shuttle they flew to the space station?

How about the space station itself?

How about the tiny little thing of the guy putting the CREDIT CARD into the VIDEO PHONE and talking to his daughter?

Come on. The book was genius, the guy was genius, and the movie was genius. I'm sorry you have all gotten used to World of Warcraft and Battlefield II and mobile phones that play Myspace, but my God, the guy was basically the Oracle at Delphi.
The fact that so much of the film has been used again is testament to how far ahead of its time the film was.
- A rotating section of a ship to simulate gravity, used so many times in new films
- Video Phones
- Computers that control whole space ships
- AI

But that doesn't make the story line any better, and coming up with new ideas is a business, it's not entertainment.
I don't watch a film to jerk off over the space-age ideas it proposes. I watch it for entertainment, watching 15 minutes of coloured liquid floating about to simulate a crazy space phenomenon while people squeel is not entertaining. And although a lot of this is opinion based and therefore neither right or wrong, that last gem is a fact!

Besides that I read Arthur C Clark's "The Sentinel" a book on which the concept of the Monolith is based and expanded upon. I found the book very interesting and extremely ahead of its time. But what he did, which Kubrick failed to do, was to keep it short. The book took around 5 minutes to read (I think, was a long time ago) and didn't include elongated pages of people screaming! The book also bears relevance to the Gnostic Christian belief of transcendance through development of the body and soul. Something which Kubrick tried to symbolise, but again, did so in 2.5 hours what I have just told you in one sentence.

Verdict:
Film = /fail

Re-Commence flaming

EDIT: spelled "Sentinel" like a spasticated lesbian porcupine
EDIT2: Did the same with "sentence"

Last edited by Ninja_Kid2002 (2007-08-02 10:32:59)

Monkeyman911
Dun wori, it's K.
+76|6423|California, US
I HAD to watch that movie one time....I nearly blew off my fucking head before it was done. (IT WAS SO DAMN BORING!)
golgoj4
+51|6775|North Hollywood
So basically, we have a thread with someone who should stick to Jason Statham movies crying because something else in life went over his head?

I blame ted stevens.
topal63
. . .
+533|6719
Little Known fact about: 2001 A Space Odyssey.

Intelligent design theory as a concept - is probably based upon that movie.

Last edited by topal63 (2007-08-02 10:39:24)

KingCheese
Paul Scholes
+77|6586|England

doctastrangelove1964 wrote:

If you dislike anything that Kubrick made you just don't understand it.
I understood Eyes Wide Shut, and still thought it was utter shite.  But 2001 is awesome.
"My best moment? I have a lot of good moments but the one I prefer is when I kicked the hooligan." - Eric Cantona.
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6569|Mountains of NC

Ninja_Kid2002 wrote:

golgoj4 wrote:

Ninja_Kid2002 wrote:

Er...there are 4 ninjas, and they're called Donatello, Michael-Angelo, Leonardo and Rafael!
for such a film buff Ninja your skills are lacking especially to not like 2001

the "4" ninjas you referred too are called Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

this is the 3 Ninjas
https://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w199/shaketistevie/A70-11974.jpg

and a sequel

https://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t97/GSF_photo/3ninjaskickback.jpg

maybe movies are to high speed for you, I might suggest cartoons - limit yourself to 30 mins though
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
Schwarzelungen
drunklenglungen
+133|6297|Bloomington Indiana
opinions are opinions.  if he didnt like the movie he didnt like the movie. no amount of explaining it will change the fact that he was absolutely bored during the whole thing.  im sure he likes the idea...just not how it was done in the film.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6583|SE London

KingCheese wrote:

doctastrangelove1964 wrote:

If you dislike anything that Kubrick made you just don't understand it.
I understood Eyes Wide Shut, and still thought it was utter shite.  But 2001 is awesome.
That doesn't count and was shite, you're quite right. It wasn't really a Kubrik film though.
will180
Power Lurker
+27|6668|Jacksonville, Florida
Daisy, Daisy...
Sgt. Sergio Bennet 3rd
+169|6747|Mexico City

Ninja_Kid2002 wrote:

It's a massive pile of crap!

I just wasted 2.5 hours of my life watching that cack! I haven't been so dissapointed since my parents bought me an Atari 1024 with a B&W monitor for Christmas when I asked for a SEGA Megadrive!

Film in short:
Monkeys born
Monkeys kill Tapirs
Monkeys kill monkeys
Monkeys find big black block (Monolith)
----
Man finds Monolith on Moon Titan around Jupiuter
Monolith deafens men
----
Computer (HAL) kills 5 astronauts
1 astronaut kills HAL
Astronaut then trips out for the next 15 minutes
Trip ends with astronaut seeing himself age in a Georgian mansion, before being confronted by a screaming Monolith!

THE END

/fail
I think the fail is you, too much mtv crap and emo must have affected you.

The movie is too advance for you. 2001 is one of the best EVER movies that have been made.
Think of the movie as a whole, and you will understand the meaning of all.
HeavyMetalDave
Metal Godz
+107|6659|California

chittydog wrote:

HeavyMetalDave wrote:

I believe the book was written before IBM was a company...
Nah, IBM was making typewriters decades before 2001 was written.

Edit: Founded in 1888.
Guess I was wrong...

thought the name HAL might have had a deeper meaning....

but thats just stupid.

in fact it's ....           sHALlow.

I tried to watch it once... could not stay awake...

zero action.
MorbiD.ShoT
Stormin' through the party
+322|6597
Read The Fucking Book By Arthur C. Clark
HeavyMetalDave
Metal Godz
+107|6659|California

Sgt. Sergio Bennet 3rd wrote:

Ninja_Kid2002 wrote:

It's a massive pile of crap!

I just wasted 2.5 hours of my life watching that cack! I haven't been so dissapointed since my parents bought me an Atari 1024 with a B&W monitor for Christmas when I asked for a SEGA Megadrive!

Film in short:
Monkeys born
Monkeys kill Tapirs
Monkeys kill monkeys
Monkeys find big black block (Monolith)
----
Man finds Monolith on Moon Titan around Jupiuter
Monolith deafens men
----
Computer (HAL) kills 5 astronauts
1 astronaut kills HAL
Astronaut then trips out for the next 15 minutes
Trip ends with astronaut seeing himself age in a Georgian mansion, before being confronted by a screaming Monolith!

THE END

/fail
I think the fail is you, too much mtv crap and emo must have affected you.

The movie is too advance for you. 2001 is one of the best EVER movies that have been made.
Think of the movie as a whole, and you will understand the meaning of all.
Lets see...

Monkeys evolution into man begins after touching a cinder block from space...

Thats not even a NEAT idea... just stupid.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard