• Index » 
  • Community » 
  • Tech » 
  • Yet another tech problem from the hell known as Poseidon's computer...
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6550|Long Island, New York
K. I tried CS:S, and it lasted for a good 10 seconds, then shut off.

I had a tech guy come over, he says it's probably a virus. Which would make a lot of sense.
SonderKommando
Eat, Lift, Grow, Repeat....
+564|6672|The darkside of Denver
Is the HSF securely fastened to your cpu and mobo? I accidentally knocked mine loose replacing my dead psu, then my computer would just work for a few minutes and shut off. It was because the machine would shut itself off before it did any damage to teh cpu. make sure its not loose, i made aspire send me a second psu for this reason when really it was something i did.  My specs are very similar to yours (despite the vcard and hsf you have)
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6728

Poseidon wrote:

I had a tech guy come over, he says it's probably a virus. Which would make a lot of sense.
Doubt it. More or less as people suggested, a power shortage.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

I sent Thermaltake a letter about how their RMA process goes. This blows balls.

To everyone on IRC: See ya in a month probably
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6778|Cambridge (UK)
For once all the noobs are probably right. It is most probably the PSU.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6594|SE London

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

For once, it might well be....
Scorpion0x17
+691|6778|Cambridge (UK)

Bertster7 wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

For once, it might well be....
It had to happen eventually.
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6476|cuntshitlake

Poseidon wrote:

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

I sent Thermaltake a letter about how their RMA process goes. This blows balls.

To everyone on IRC: See ya in a month probably
DeathUnlimited doesn't approve
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

THINK AGAIN!

Once again I tried my computer. Decided to go into speedfan and see what it was reading....89 CELCIUS!!!! NO WONDER IT'D BEEN SHUTTING DOWN!

I'm going in my computer tomorrow and re-adjusting my CPU heatsink. I think when I tried to put my audio-jacks in, the case got bumped and the heatsink slid out of place. Does anyone know how I can take off the heatsink and put new thermal paste on? Or do I just have to re-adjust it, because I can do that easily.

I knew it couldn't be my PSU. I just had a feeling.
Scorpion0x17
+691|6778|Cambridge (UK)

Poseidon wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

THINK AGAIN!

Once again I tried my computer. Decided to go into speedfan and see what it was reading....89 CELCIUS!!!! NO WONDER IT'D BEEN SHUTTING DOWN!

I'm going in my computer tomorrow and re-adjusting my CPU heatsink. I think when I tried to put my audio-jacks in, the case got bumped and the heatsink slid out of place. Does anyone know how I can take off the heatsink and put new thermal paste on? Or do I just have to re-adjust it, because I can do that easily.

I knew it couldn't be my PSU. I just had a feeling.
Like all good tech heads, I did cover my ass and say probably.

Anyhoo, yeah, you'll need to remove your heatsink, clean both the heatsink and CPU, apply some new thermal paste/grease and then put the heatsink back.

If you haven't got any thermal grease, I would recommend getting some ArcticSilver 5 - they also sell a heatsink/cpu cleaning solution (ArctiClean), but I've never used this so can't comment on it's effectiveness.

Instructions for actually applying the thermal grease can be found on the ArcticSilver website, here, but they don't cover the removal and replacement of the heatsink and fan assembly.

Removing and replacing the heatsink and fan assembly is relatively straight-forward, but the precise method varies depending on your CPU socket.

So, what CPU do you have?

(we'll need to know the precise make and model, to give you the correct instructions)
Funky_Finny
Banned
+456|6145|Carnoustie, Scotland

Poseidon wrote:

leetkyle wrote:

Yep, virus scan or take everything it out / dust it down, put it back in.
When I try going into a virus scan, it goes for about 5 seconds and then my PC shuts off.

This computer isn't more than a month old, keep in mind weerdfoo1. And it was working absolutely fine until I tried taking out the speakers jack.
Put the speaker jack back in
spage
Get Claymores, Here!
+7|6786
i had a problem similar long time ago, shorted somthing in my MoBo got a new one poped it in ran like a dream
Funky_Finny
Banned
+456|6145|Carnoustie, Scotland
...not to be off-topic, but isn't your sig a bit big, spage?
SonderKommando

<SS>SonderKommando wrote:

Is the HSF securely fastened to your cpu and mobo? I accidentally knocked mine loose replacing my dead psu, then my computer would just work for a few minutes and shut off. It was because the machine would shut itself off before it did any damage to teh cpu. make sure its not loose, i made aspire send me a second psu for this reason when really it was something i did.  My specs are very similar to yours (despite the vcard and hsf you have)
TOLD YOU.  You can remove the heat sink, clean off the old thermal grease w/ like a non lint cloth, re apply a small ammount on the chip, and reapply the heat sink. It will run like normal.  The Core 2 Duo heatsink is kind of funky, i didnt like the way it "snap screws" into the mobo, you really need to make sure its on there well.

Last edited by <SS>SonderKommando (2007-08-02 11:22:00)

Scorpion0x17
+691|6778|Cambridge (UK)

Funky_Finny wrote:

...not to be off-topic, but isn't your sig a bit big, spage?
I believe it's legal.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

TOLD YOU.  You can remove the heat sink, clean off the old thermal grease w/ like a non lint cloth, re apply a small ammount on the chip, and reapply the heat sink. It will run like normal.  The Core 2 Duo heatsink is kind of funky, i didnt like the way it "snap screws" into the mobo, you really need to make sure its on there well.
Thanks.

I'm gonna have someone else do it for me. I'm not fucking with it and don't wanna risk damaging my PC any further. Thanks guys, especially SonderKommando...Hopefully i'll be back online full time in a week or so.

Until then, I have Guitar Hero II to focus on.

Thanks again guys.
SonderKommando
Any news yet man? I wanna know how this turns out!
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

Any news yet man? I wanna know how this turns out!
I'm gonna replace the heatsink. It's obviously not able to be mounted correctly, so i'm gonna get a smaller one that's easier to mount, but better. See my new thread.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
mmkay, so now I put in the stock heatsink (for now) and I can't even get a picture. The VGA cable or whatever is in there securely, it just won't turn on.

I wanna smash this thing to pieces. I don't care if it was 2200 dollars.

Next time I'm going Alienware. >_>
reaper_654
confused??
+36|6308|ohio,USA
i had to get a new hardrive
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

reaper_654 wrote:

i had to get a new hardrive
Um, congrats? That's not my problem whatsoever. Both my HDDs are fine.
SonderKommando

Poseidon wrote:

mmkay, so now I put in the stock heatsink (for now) and I can't even get a picture. The VGA cable or whatever is in there securely, it just won't turn on.

Hey man, I understand where you are comming from. This was my first build and i spent a ton two, i have had my share of probs. BUT violence and technology do not mix!

Do you hear any noises when you hit the power button, any signs of life at all? I dont think you fried your chip, it should shut down before it gets to hot to damage it.  Any lights on teh mobo? you should have two amber light sand a blue one just above right of the ram slots (we have the same board/variation). Any of the LED codes on teh mobo do anything when you hit power? If so what are they?

Last edited by <SS>SonderKommando (2007-08-05 21:14:58)

loubot
O' HAL naw!
+470|6590|Columbus, OH

HISSSsssSSSSssssssSSssss
Scorpion0x17
+691|6778|Cambridge (UK)

Poseidon wrote:

Hmm... It sounds like you may be having multiple issues here... This sounds like a problem with your video card - possibly also overheating... or not getting enough power... or not seated correctly... Make sure the video card is firmly seated in its slot and that the power connector to the video card is securely inserted... Or, we come back to it possibly being a problem with the PSU... or the motherboard... or the CPU... or something else...
elite.mafia
Banned
+122|6466|USA
Get xfire on whatever comp you are using and accept my friend request, I'll help you.
  • Index » 
  • Community » 
  • Tech » 
  • Yet another tech problem from the hell known as Poseidon's computer...

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard