Microwave
_
+515|6662|Loughborough Uni / Leeds, UK
Hoi.

I'm looking at getting an Antec 900 case to try and reduce temperatures in my case because at the moment my motherboard is at 45degress and my graphics card is at 77degrees.

I've read many posts saying it's a great case but my question is:

Will it significantly reduce my system temperature?

Does anyone have any experiences they've had with this case and cooling?

Thanks
Darkfire
Helping you help yourself
+34|6485| Texas
Yes- it comes standard with 3 120mm and 1 200mm fan. Each fan has an switch on it that can be set to high, medium or low. You can get excellent cooling with them just on medium/low. When you get to the High range, things start to get noisy but you can feel massive amounts of air moving. the 200mm is quite a beast on any of the settings.

and on top of that, a lot of the case in made of mesh grills, so it vents very well regardless of fans. It should help your heat issues. The alienware cases look great but seem to be mostly closed in, made more for looks than performance.

BUT, if you needed someone to take your alienware case off your hands, you're welcome to ship it to me. 
LT.Victim
+1,175|6570|British Columbia, Canada
The temperature inside my case ranges around 30 C. With both my cores running low 40's - High 40's, which I know could be improved with a better heatsinkk/fan and Thermal Paste, as I have the stock one.. I'm not sure about what my Video Card temp is.. Nvidia Control Panel crashes when I try and check it.

It pushes massive amounts of air, your not really going to get more cooling from a case unless you go water cooled.
Microwave
_
Cool thanks.

To anyone who has this case...

If it's under a desk....will it affect the 200mm beast of a fan on the top much? And much effect on overall cooling?
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6557|UK

Does do wonders for cooling, just, a bit plasticy, and going from an alienware case to that you might see a bit of a quality dip   Certainly functions well

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=GL_OhZipul8

Tho, if your feeling flush, check out Silverstone TJ-07, much more substantial and is that bit more clever in how it cools your machine.

Martyn
LT.Victim
I dunno, I've never had mine under my desk, just as long as the top fan has a couple of inches to blow air out, you should be fine..
Microwave
_

Bell wrote:

Does do wonders for cooling, just, a bit plasticy, and going from an alienware case to that you might see a bit of a quality dip   Certainly functions well

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=GL_OhZipul8

Tho, if your feeling flush, check out Silverstone TJ-07, much more substantial and is that bit more clever in how it cools your machine.

Martyn
Yeah, I've watched that, good review.

Plasticy? Isn't it like aluminium mostly?  I don't mind the odd bit of plastic tbh.

I just had a look at that Silverstone.... looks abit to bland for me. Thanks though.

LT.Victim wrote:

I dunno, I've never had mine under my desk, just as long as the top fan has a couple of inches to blow air out, you should be fine..
Thanks, yeah, it will be fine then!
Darkfire
+34|6485| Texas

james@alienware wrote:

Plasticy? Isn't it like aluminium mostly?  I don't mind the odd bit of plastic tbh.
Its mostly all aluminum except for the top part where the fan and usb ports are. The front piece too is also plastic (though it looks like metal, I was just tapping on mine to make sure) but the grills in front of the fans are metal.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6657

I can't see how going from a super tacky Alienware case to an Antec would drop in quality... James, get one, they're sweet as!
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6501|N. Ireland

ghettoperson wrote:

I can't see how going from a super tacky Alienware case to an Antec would drop in quality... James, get one, they're sweet as!
If anything, it's an increase!

There are a lot of A900 reviews out at the minute. Take a read at a few and you might make up your mind whether you definetely want one or not!
ghettoperson
+1,943|6657

Just about every review of it has bummed it for it's awesomeness, despite the people that go ZOMG it looks stoopid or something like that.
LT.Victim
When I was purchasing my computer, I originally wanted another case, it wasn't in stock, so I got the A900 instead, man am I glad that other case wasn't in stock
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6746|Toronto | Canada

james@alienware wrote:

Cool thanks.

To anyone who has this case...

If it's under a desk....will it affect the 200mm beast of a fan on the top much? And much effect on overall cooling?
Well I have mine under a desk with about a foot from the bottom of the desk (also the back is in a corner) and it actually runs pretty hot compared to the rest of the people who have one.  I have all of the fans on high and I still have temps of 50C (CPU) and 70C (GPU)...
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6773|Cambridge (UK)

james@alienware wrote:

Hoi.
I'm looking at getting an Antec 900 case to try and reduce temperatures in my case because at the moment my motherboard is at 45degress and my graphics card is at 77degrees.
I've read many posts saying it's a great case but my question is:
Will it significantly reduce my system temperature?
Does anyone have any experiences they've had with this case and cooling?
Thanks
(WOH! HOLY EXTRA LINES BATMAN!)

Anyhoo...

First up, I've not actually seen one in the flesh... And, in general, I really like Antec cases (their build quality is second to none, imo)... But, with the 900 I think they've done a boo-boo...

The whole PSU at the bottom thing, just does not make sense to me... PSUs get really hot... And heat rises... I just don't see how having a PSU at the bottom of the case is gonna help with cooling in any way what-so-ever...

But as I said, I've not actually used one, or even seen one in the flesh... so I could be wrong...
Darkfire
+34|6485| Texas

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

The whole PSU at the bottom thing, just does not make sense to me... PSUs get really hot... And heat rises... I just don't see how having a PSU at the bottom of the case is gonna help with cooling in any way what-so-ever...
its down there so that it keeps the main heat source away from the cpu. and as for heat rising, well there is a nice 200mm exhaust fan just above it.

im very protective of my 900
Scorpion0x17
+691|6773|Cambridge (UK)

Darkfire wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

its down there so that it keeps the main heat source away from the cpu. and as for heat rising, well there is a nice 200mm exhaust fan just above it.

im very protective of my 900
But in a standard case, the PSU is above the CPU - again, heat rises - so the CPU doesn't get heated up that much by having the PSU above it... In fact, by moving the whole mobo upwards, you're moving the CPU into a warmer region in the case... Which is probably why they had to put a whacking great 200mm fan on the top...
Microwave
_
Thanks for all the help guys, I think I'm going to get one.

When I've paid my next instalment to my parents for my pc (I loaned the money off them )

edit: I see where you're coming from scorpion.....it makes sense, but unless you can find another comparable case...it's gunna be that one!

Last edited by james@alienware (2007-07-31 16:53:27)

Scorpion0x17
+691|6773|Cambridge (UK)

james@alienware wrote:

edit: I see where you're coming from scorpion.....it makes sense, but unless you can find another comparable case...it's gunna be that one!
It's just a gut feeling thing...

What case do you have at the moment?

Could you give us an update, once you get it and have everything setup?

How much of a reduction in temps do you get?

Last edited by Scorpion0x17 (2007-07-31 16:59:12)

Microwave
_
Yeah sure, I'll let you know.

I've got a standard Alienware case at the moment (not the new style - the old 'Predator' one).

https://img215.imageshack.us/img215/9425/image165xv7.jpg

https://img215.imageshack.us/img215/7324/imgp0956or1.jpg

https://img74.imageshack.us/img74/4137/imgp1347qi1.jpg

Note the positioning under my desk!

Last edited by james@alienware (2007-07-31 17:06:57)

Darkfire
+34|6485| Texas

james@alienware wrote:

Note the positioning under my desk!
eh, it looks like you've got enough room for the top fan to do its job, shouldnt be a problem

and i can also see where scorpion is coming from, but trust me, you wont regret getting a 900
SexyCabbage
One Shot, One Kill ... Always
+68|6487|Kentucky
i got one. it works excellent. right now i got all the stock fans and stock CPU cooler and it still keeps me CPU at 25 degrees(AMD Athlon64 6000+ 3.0GHz). it has an excellent airflow with the front-bottom 120mm fans and top-left 120mm fan as an exhaust, and oh yea the top 200mm exhaust fan. i just ordered some round cables and 2 120mm fans for the side and middle brackets.  they should get here tomorro from newegg

the psu at the bottom does not hurt it at all. the airflow takes out the heat before it clogs up.
and like i said it keeps my CPU at 25 with just the stock fans and coolers.

ps I highly recommend buying some lights to put inside of it. 12inch cathode lights fit well inside on the top. one end can fit in between the drive bays and the top of the case making it more sturdier. and you can run the controller out the back thround the little rubber hole in the case.

https://img406.imageshack.us/img406/2059/p7240076yx1.th.jpg
https://img168.imageshack.us/img168/592/p7240079il7.th.jpg

Last edited by $eXXXyCabbage (2007-07-31 22:57:22)

Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6724
the 900 is great... we have one at work and it runs all day with a 6400 duo running at 3.12...  and it never heats up... The only other case that i would consider is the coolermaster 830... but its 200-250 dollars... Its built like a tank and its huge... with a bunch of fans... 4 120s on the side alone...   but it doesnt have a beer holder like the 900... lol

the 830 is down to 199.00(200.00 lol)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6811119103

Last edited by [TUF]Catbox (2007-07-31 22:47:28)

Love is the answer
SexyCabbage
One Shot, One Kill ... Always
+68|6487|Kentucky

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

but it doesnt have a beer holder like the 900... lol
That is true. the top tray on the 900 can hold beer cans easily!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard