Ninja_Kid2002
+119|6268|Floodsville, TN, (UK really)
It's a massive pile of crap!

I just wasted 2.5 hours of my life watching that cack! I haven't been so dissapointed since my parents bought me an Atari 1024 with a B&W monitor for Christmas when I asked for a SEGA Megadrive!

Film in short:
Monkeys born
Monkeys kill Tapirs
Monkeys kill monkeys
Monkeys find big black block (Monolith)
----
Man finds Monolith on Moon Titan around Jupiuter
Monolith deafens men
----
Computer (HAL) kills 5 astronauts
1 astronaut kills HAL
Astronaut then trips out for the next 15 minutes
Trip ends with astronaut seeing himself age in a Georgian mansion, before being confronted by a screaming Monolith!

THE END

/fail
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6622|London, England
hahaha....monkeys....I'm so glad that monkeys didn't evolve. Who would we be able to laugh at without being labelled a racist? Nobody, that's who. With monkeys, you can laugh at their sheer inferiority with no repurcussions, because it's true.

Now where's my computer-boom-stick-laser-beam

Last edited by Mekstizzle (2007-07-31 13:17:01)

BeerzGod
Hooray Beer!
+94|6571|United States
I'm not sure what you're talking about. All of Stanley Kupricks movies are very good, but they're an aquired taste and most people don't like any of them the first time they see them... minus The Shining of course. That or you're just too young to appreciate movies like this and the mood they create.
TC.Troy
Let the rough side drag
+111|6574
2001 is one of the finest films ever produced.  It's a shame you dont care for it...perhaps with time, and a bit of perspective...you may.  Many of Kubricks films are that way.

Anyway, IMO...great film, especially considering the production date.  The Fx are wonderfull for the time.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6291|Éire
'2001 A Space Odyssey' is one of the best films ever made, perhaps you should have watched 'Armageddon' or 'Deep Impact' instead.
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6672|UK
Intresting fact about 2001 a Space Oddessy.

Why did they name the computer HAL?

What letter comes after H?
What letter comes after A?
What letter comes after L?

Ya, it was big blue! Cool huh?
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6717

m3thod wrote:

Heh I heard that one from my dad Saw that movie when I was 9, it was a classic.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6291|Éire

m3thod wrote:

You know I did not know that ...I could lose my film buff card over this!
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6672|UK

Braddock wrote:

m3thod wrote:

You know I did not know that ...I could lose my film buff card over this!
nooooooob
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
AAFCptKabbom
+127|6659|WPB, FL. USA
So you're saying it sucks monkey ballz
Roomba
You will pay the price for your lack of vision.
+26|6493|Land of Cotton
As with many things, read the book. Book is way better. Although that is a class sci-fi, I found it very boring. The book fills in some stuff. Clarke is a good writer.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6154|what

Alot of ppl say the same thing about the movie Bladerunner. I like it, but have plenty of friends who hate it or don't get it.

2001 is a good movie, but very layered.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6469
If you dislike anything that Kubrick made you just don't understand it.
HeavyMetalDave
Metal Godz
+107|6659|California
I believe the book was written before IBM was a company...
williedyna
+7|6646

BeerzGod wrote:

I'm not sure what you're talking about. All of Stanley Kubrick's movies are very good, but they're an acquired taste and most people don't like any of them the first time they see them... minus The Shining of course. That or you're just too young to appreciate movies like this and the mood they create.
A.I. is one of the worst movies ever made.  (granted he died during the making, and so it didn't necessarily meet with his final approval)  And I'm a big fan.

But I heartily agree with the too young comment.  Kind of like when you see someone make a mixed drink with single malt.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6656

Ninja_Kid2002 wrote:

It's a massive pile of crap!

I just wasted 2.5 hours of my life watching that cack! I haven't been so dissapointed since my parents bought me an Atari 1024 with a B&W monitor for Christmas when I asked for a SEGA Megadrive!

Film in short:
Monkeys born
Monkeys kill Tapirs
Monkeys kill monkeys
Monkeys find big black block (Monolith)
----
Man finds Monolith on Moon Titan around Jupiuter
Monolith deafens men
----
Computer (HAL) kills 5 astronauts
1 astronaut kills HAL
Astronaut then trips out for the next 15 minutes
Trip ends with astronaut seeing himself age in a Georgian mansion, before being confronted by a screaming Monolith!

THE END

/fail
You forgot to put on your flame suit.

And it's ok, we respect your opinion. Not everyone has the mental capacity to appreciate films. There, there, no need to cry. Here, have this Pokemon movie.
chittydog
less busy
+586|6836|Kubra, Damn it!

HeavyMetalDave wrote:

Nah, IBM was making typewriters decades before 2001 was written.

Edit: Founded in 1888.

Last edited by chittydog (2007-07-31 20:00:32)

Reciprocity
+721|6582|the dank(super) side of Oregon

HeavyMetalDave wrote:

Unless Mr. Clarke wrote the book before 1924, you are incorrect.
Ninja_Kid2002

mtb0minime wrote:

You forgot to put on your flame suit.

And it's ok, we respect your opinion. Not everyone has the mental capacity to appreciate films. There, there, no need to cry. Here, have this Pokemon movie.
Any film > Pokemon > 2001: A Space Odyssey

doctastrangelove1964 wrote:

If you dislike anything that Kubrick made you just don't understand it.
Yes, I agree, I don't understand it, so explain to me what the monolith was!

TheAussieReaper wrote:

Alot of ppl say the same thing about the movie Bladerunner. I like it, but have plenty of friends who hate it or don't get it.

2001 is a good movie, but very layered.
Very true, Blade runner is almost as bad.

FYI: 2001 is not a trifle!

AAFCptKabbom wrote:

So you're saying it sucks monkey ballz
Yes

m3thod wrote:

Even I knew that, and this is my thread of hate!

Braddock wrote:

'2001 A Space Odyssey' is one of the best films ever made, perhaps you should have watched 'Armageddon' or 'Deep Impact' instead.
Well it's 78th on IMDB, lower than Aliens and Alien. Discuss.
theDude5B
Cool member
+804|6751
2001 is one of the best films ever made, so are Aliens and Alien. not much to discuss there.

Now if Armageddon or Deep Impact were higher up the list, then we would have something to talk about.
Ninja_Kid2002
Oh, and for those who say I don't like it because I don't understand it. True, I don't, but then I don't understand Revolver and I love that film. It just keeps you thinking about it ages after it's finished.

P.S. Armageddon and Depp Impact are big piles of shit too, Don't try and sully my good name by pretending I like those just because I don't like 2001.
theDude5B
Cool member
+804|6751
Does Revolver involve a lot of shooting and fighting?
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6582|SE London

Ninja_Kid2002 wrote:

Braddock wrote:

Well it's 78th on IMDB, lower than Aliens and Alien. Discuss.
You quite clearly didn't understand the film or Blade Runner. I'd recommend you don't watch any other Kubrick stuff, or any of David Lynch's stuff or any other films that are intellectually stimulating.

2001 is rated directly above Terminator 2 on IMDB, other films it is above include Die Hard, Gone with the Wind (most profitable film of all time at the cinema), 8 1/2 and Full Metal Jacket - trying to use those listings to claim it's not one of the best films ever is pretty stupid.

Ninja_Kid2002 wrote:

Oh, and for those who say I don't like it because I don't understand it. True, I don't, but then I don't understand Revolver and I love that film. It just keeps you thinking about it ages after it's finished.

P.S. Armageddon and Depp Impact are big piles of shit too, Don't try and sully my good name by pretending I like those just because I don't like 2001.
You loved Revolver?

Oh dear..........

Last edited by Bertster7 (2007-08-01 04:46:48)

Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6717
Blade runner is also a very good classic. Robots on earth = Death. I loved the IQ test parts
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6291|Éire

williedyna wrote:

BeerzGod wrote:

I'm not sure what you're talking about. All of Stanley Kubrick's movies are very good, but they're an acquired taste and most people don't like any of them the first time they see them... minus The Shining of course. That or you're just too young to appreciate movies like this and the mood they create.
A.I. is one of the worst movies ever made.  (granted he died during the making, and so it didn't necessarily meet with his final approval)  And I'm a big fan.

But I heartily agree with the too young comment.  Kind of like when you see someone make a mixed drink with single malt.
Kubrick abandoned A.I. and Spielberg resurrected it's corpse to create the piece of shit that smeared our cinema screens a few years back, don't blame Kubrick for it.

To Ninja_Kid:

I haven't actually read the book but my interpretation is this: the monolith was a device left by aliens that is of great cosmic significance and initiates an evolutionary leap in those exposed to it, hence why the monkey developed the intellect to use the bone as a weapon (use of tools and hence weapons was a huge moment in the development of mankind ...a nuclear missile is a highly advanced version of the bone!).

Kubrick then skips forward thousands of years (using a match cut no less! Hence why film critics rave about that shot so much) and we see that mankind have discovered a similar monolith on the moon (if memory serves me, might have been another planet). When they go to investigate the mission goes missing. The rescue mission that is sent is put in jeopardy by the onboard computer HAL, which has groundbreaking artificial intelligence. This is another meditation on the theme of intelligence and evolution but this time in the realm of artificial intelligence, if computers are given enough artificial intelligence could they one day develop the ability to evolve its' own intelligence?

After disarming HAL the remaining astronaut finds out the actual purpose of the mission and when he reaches the monolith in space he experiences man's next evolutionary jump, transcending space and time and becoming one with the universe. I believe some of the diamond shaped lights in one of the end scenes represent gates or wormhole type things that the aliens have knowledge of (not sure, someone who read the book told me that) As you can imagine trying to visually represent this kind of narrative would be nearly impossible but Kubrick managed it to a certain extent.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard