C-J...
+1|6162

zeidmaan wrote:

C-J give it more time. What Firebolt said, it takes time after new release for people to learn the game.
Also post your specs and settings and we will tell you why you graphics look so bad and why its jerky (because its not supposed to be like that).

And give some more though about realism of assault lines and its impact on gameplay. Were you bothered in vBF2 about the fact that on big maps flags can change ownership 20 times in one round? Or that on some maps you were supposed to defend 8 flags at the same time with maximum of 32 players?
I have given it more time now and my first impression stands, if anything I´m even more pissed off at this mod. It´s all so blurry you can´t see enemies or vehicles even though they´re right infront of you. And having to dash across the damn map to the only cappable flag, and then being shot after having had to run for 2-3 minutes is plain boring. Vehicles handles in a way I never though possible. I used one of these 4-wheel-thingies and found myself riding a bullet, like 900 mph through the woods tumbling around and finally killing myself.

I don´t really like any aspect of this mod, but despite this fact I do like alot of the ideas, they´re just executed in a bad way.

BF vanilla is all arcade, PR is complicated and redundant in a way that takes most (all) the fun out of actually playing. Fine, I like the classes, but having to request them only takes time, time that you should spend actually playing the game. Just moving to a location takes about 70% of the game, and with the last 30% being destroyed by rule after rule and choppy and stale movement, you are left with practicly nothing.

Everything moves to fast, and it has to in order to make up times for the vastly oversized maps. I´d love huge maps if they were supported by a gameplay that could handle it, PR can not. And then there´s the fact where you can´t even tell who´s friend and who´s foe. I´m all for realism, but there has to be a limit even in that aspect, I mean, if there was true realism, there wouldn´t even be respawns.

Here´s what you should do.

Look at the way Americas army handles their infantry-setup, the game is smooth, they characters moves realisticly and "smoothly", not jerking around like bugs bunny. Copy their realistic way of infantrybattles.

Make all weapon damages realistic, this goes for both vehicles, aircrafts and handheld. Make the stronger weapons spawntime much longer, while the weaker ones spawn all the time. This would infact make a war between USA and Iraq pretty even. USA has the better weapons, while Iraq has more of their weaker weapons.

Make all flags cappable, but make the closest one from the last friendly alot easier. The next flag in order could be capped with only 2 men, while the one furthest from the last friendly needs 10 men. This would give both sides the opportunity to use whatever tactic they please, but still make it alot harder to go the "wrong way".

Make the environments a little more esteticly pleasing. Look at the maps that was most loved in BF1942, they didn´t have alot of "shit" littered all over the place, they were open maps with a few chokepoints, and this was/is where the battles took place. You didn´t have to force anyone to go to a special flag, PR seems a little linear in this way, you could even black out some parts of the map during gameplay, since there´s no sense being there anyway. The battles are being directed into specific "zones", while I as a tactical gamer wish to have the freedom to go wherever the hell I please in order to help my team.

Make all the classes chosable at respawn, but black the ones out that are already filled. Then you can respawn with another one, but still request to get the one you really wanted, the next time you die and respawn. Then there´s a solid que, and noone can cut infront "stealing" what´s not theirs, this also saves alot of time, which increases the ammount of real "fighting" on the battlefield.

Bottomline, there´s no "flow" and/or feeling in this mod, the "rules" dictates everything to an extent that you dont have any real freedom. And freedom and possibilities to do almost anything, is what makes these games great. You are bottlenecking a mod that could be truely awesome.

And once again, not trying to be a dickhead, just my personal (honest) view.

Last edited by C-J... (2007-07-24 03:51:38)

mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6732|Sydney, Australia
C-J, I must disagree and say that the PR team has executed their ideas excellently. Their ability to implement various ideas has been limited by the BF2 hardcode. This is something that DICE (whoever) is not willing to release. Until they do, the PR team will not be able to make some of the more drastic changes.

For what it's worth, I'd play PR over vBF2 any day.
zeidmaan
+234|6425|Vienna

@C-J
As mcminity said, some things cant be changed. EA/DICE wont allow it.

For example you said:

C-J... wrote:

Look at the way Americas army handles their infantry-setup, the game is smooth, they characters moves realisticly and "smoothly", not jerking around like bugs bunny. Copy their realistic way of infantrybattles.
Well they cant make it more realistic. They cant add a delay when going prone, or add gun sway when tired, or add leaning left and right, or moving you gun without moving your entire body, running sideways or running in one direction and looking in other etc. 

Weapons are pretty realistic. One shot to the head with any assault rifle will kill you. 2-3 shots in the torso will kill you.

Also I see you definitely dislike the assault lines
Thing is, they made the best out of the idea of conquest mode. Anything is better than endless flag hoping in vBF2. Have you tried the "insurgency" mode? In it the Brits fight the insurgents and there are no flags at all. You have to search for ammo dumps and destroy them.

C-J... wrote:

Make all the classes chosable at respawn, but black the ones out that are already filled. Then you can respawn with another one, but still request to get the one you really wanted, the next time you die and respawn. Then there´s a solid que, and noone can cut infront "stealing" what´s not theirs, this also saves alot of time, which increases the ammount of real "fighting" on the battlefield.
Thing is that some kits can not be requested at certain spawn points but with your way you could spawn anywhere with a HAT. Requesting a kit takes 2 seconds so its definitely not "a lot of time"
And having a kit waiting for you when you die just doesn't make sense. What if you stay alive for 10 minutes while a kit is unavailable for anyone else?

and have some karma for being civilized, not like some
C-J...
+1|6162

mcminty wrote:

C-J, I must disagree and say that the PR team has executed their ideas excellently. Their ability to implement various ideas has been limited by the BF2 hardcode. This is something that DICE (whoever) is not willing to release. Until they do, the PR team will not be able to make some of the more drastic changes.

For what it's worth, I'd play PR over vBF2 any day.
I´ve loved the idea of PR so much, that I´ve played it alot the last two days despite hating every minute of it, hehe..

zeidmaan wrote:

@C-J
As mcminity said, some things cant be changed. EA/DICE wont allow it.

For example you said:

C-J... wrote:

Well they cant make it more realistic. They cant add a delay when going prone, or add gun sway when tired, or add leaning left and right, or moving you gun without moving your entire body, running sideways or running in one direction and looking in other etc. 

Weapons are pretty realistic. One shot to the head with any assault rifle will kill you. 2-3 shots in the torso will kill you.

Also I see you definitely dislike the assault lines
Thing is, they made the best out of the idea of conquest mode. Anything is better than endless flag hoping in vBF2. Have you tried the "insurgency" mode? In it the Brits fight the insurgents and there are no flags at all. You have to search for ammo dumps and destroy them.

C-J... wrote:

Thing is that some kits can not be requested at certain spawn points but with your way you could spawn anywhere with a HAT. Requesting a kit takes 2 seconds so its definitely not "a lot of time"
And having a kit waiting for you when you die just doesn't make sense. What if you stay alive for 10 minutes while a kit is unavailable for anyone else?

and have some karma for being civilized, not like some
You can´t even request a kit after spawn.. First you have to get to the right location, and if it´s close tyou have to wait til the timelimit enables you to change kits. Then you have to travel across the map on foot, since you can´t drive most vehicles if you have the wrong kit. This is about 2-3 minutes of dead-time, which could be spent actually playing and having fun.

It takes too much time to get to where you want to be, everything is exhaustingly slow to the point where you dont even make an honest effort getting there. Last time I played people just stood around waiting for vehicles to spawn, but since said vehicles were idle across the map, it took forever. Even if a server is full (64 players), you´ll still find that the huge battles at the current flag only consists of 20 people at the most. The rest are either waiting to spawn, waiting for a kit, or are traveling to the battlezone.

The weapons are also too inaccurate, I have a huntersdegree (In Sweden it takes alot for ya to be allowed to own weapons) and have used alot of the "heavier machinery" when it comes to caliber. If I can handle these weapons with only a slight recoil, you´d think that experienced soldiers could do atleast the same.

Also.. when loading a map it says "global unlocks-whatever" and then a "1", which would lead you to believe that you can save points and unlock new weapons... can you?

A last tip. Make fewer classes, but more options as to what equipment you would like when using them.

I just cant find the "feeling" when playing this game. All good games bring you a feeling of excitement and joy, I get neither from this mod.

I´m sorry.

And.. why is this mod so much uglier than vanilla on my pc, I use the same resolution and everything else?

Last edited by C-J... (2007-07-24 06:41:55)

firebolt5
+114|6166
Like we said, PR needs better hardware than vBF2.  Post some screenshots and let's see how bad it looks on your end.
C-J...
+1|6162

firebolt5 wrote:

Like we said, PR needs better hardware than vBF2.  Post some screenshots and let's see how bad it looks on your end.
I use the same settings as I do in Vanilla, shouldn´t the graphics be pretty much the same then?
firebolt5
+114|6166
Well, Project Reality uses more effects, more code, and much larger maps with more objects.  The recommended specifications are higher than that of normal BF2.

Minimum Specifications for PR:
CPU: 1.7 GHz
RAM: 512 MB
Video Card: nVidia GeForce FX 5700, ATI Radeon 8500 or ATI Radeon 9500 with 128 MB of RAM

Recommended Specification for PR:
CPU: 2.4 GHz
RAM: 2 GB
Video Card with at least 256 MB of RAM
david363
Crotch fires and you: the untold story
+314|6750|Comber, Northern Ireland
my brother un installed it and deleted the download...it came up as 11GB all together....
Revelation_Space
+3|6280
I really like this mod a lot, good job guys.

And I have a friend who can't stand the arcadeyness of vanilla, and she loves this mod too.

I don't know what that guy is talking about with the weapons not being accurate enough, they're ultra accurate. The first bullet I fired in the game online was with an SVD at a guy sitting in the gunner's position of a HUMVEE. He was a long way away, and I honestly expected to miss. Pop, dead.

Had a big grin on my face after that.

The only thing I dislike about the game is taking the flags in order. I understand why you did it, but I far prefer being able to take any flag. It should be up to the commander and the team to post squads to defend all the flags. Part of playing in a war game should be being as unpredictable as possible. It certainly helps with vanilla, where predicting where people are going to be gets you easy kills.

The civilians also are something I suspect will probably be taken out for 0.7. They're entertaining and all, but when you have half the militia team playing as them, and deliberately being as annoying as possible, it kinda spoils it - mainly because all the noobs go around blowing them away, losing you loads of tickets. Militia teams can win games solely because of the idiocy of the US team.

Anyway, I'm only going on about the things I dislike. Trust me, I like it a lot; this mod is awesome, and I'll be playing it a lot from now on.

Last edited by Revelation_Space (2007-07-24 12:20:56)

firebolt5
+114|6166
Nah, civilians will probably be here to stay for 0.7.  It's a very good concept of having an unarmed player out on a battlefield.  Once things calm down, the new players will begin to figure out that killing civilians is bad.  Besidies, I don't think I have seen anyone kill civilians lately.
PS.  The insurgents have civilians, not the militia
zeidmaan
+234|6425|Vienna

Take an average of 25 players per team. If you have 6 flags and they all can be taken, that means 4 defenders per flag. That the best case scenario and it would suck big time. People will just hop from one flag to the other. Thats what happens in vBF2 in other mods, in 2142...
Its not just bad for game play but its also unrealistic. Also you are forced to just defend the flags. You cant hold the territory.

With assault lines the fight is more concentrated. Its not so predictable as you might think because of the rally points that are never in the same spot.  And since it takes a long time to capture a flag you need to clear out as much spawn points as you can around the flags. Fights for the flag can be between 40 people. I never saw that on big maps in vBF2.

To each his own of course but I will defend Assault Lines as long as I breath
Revelation_Space
+3|6280

firebolt5 wrote:

Nah, civilians will probably be here to stay for 0.7.  It's a very good concept of having an unarmed player out on a battlefield.  Once things calm down, the new players will begin to figure out that killing civilians is bad.  Besidies, I don't think I have seen anyone kill civilians lately.
PS.  The insurgents have civilians, not the militia
Ah, hehe, I knew it was one of the two.

zeidmaan wrote:

Take an average of 25 players per team. If you have 6 flags and they all can be taken, that means 4 defenders per flag. That the best case scenario and it would suck big time. People will just hop from one flag to the other. Thats what happens in vBF2 in other mods, in 2142...
Its not just bad for game play but its also unrealistic. Also you are forced to just defend the flags. You cant hold the territory.

With assault lines the fight is more concentrated. Its not so predictable as you might think because of the rally points that are never in the same spot.  And since it takes a long time to capture a flag you need to clear out as much spawn points as you can around the flags. Fights for the flag can be between 40 people. I never saw that on big maps in vBF2.
well, I wrote that after my very first round of this mod, so perhaps I should've waited a couple of hours before judging it.

I went and played for half the night after that, and I kinda changed my mind.

I think I prefer it the way it is in vanilla, but I decided that it suits this mod better to have to capture flags in order.

It's nice to not have to worry about people flanking you and going for flags that are miles behind you.

I still stand by my point about civilians, but hopefully once things settle down and half the new players decide the mod isn't for them, the civilians will be dying a lot less.

My only other gripe after playing all night is the number of team kills that occur. I had a couple of close calls with firing at team mates - luckily my terrible aim kept them alive. But I was teamkilled several times. One support guy in my team spent about 30 seconds firing at me while I was behind cover. Someone should incorporate a new button in the Q comm rose which puts a huge message across the person's screen saying "STOP FIRING YOU FUCKING MORON, I'M IN YOUR TEAM! ARE YOU BLIND?!"

The only way I've learnt to avoid friendly fire, is to constantly keep an eye on my map. It helped me yesterday, because I was keeping an eye on it, and suddenly I noticed a PLA guy prone. He's seen me first, I figured I was screwed. Luckily for me, he didn't fire. He was obviously trying to figure out if I was in his team or not. Thankfully, I knew he was an enemy because I'd only just looked at the map. +1 kill for me.

One final thing, the USMC and MEC desert combat clothes are so similar it's insane. Literally the only way you can tell them apart over any kind of distance is to check if they have a beard or not. This resulted in endless friendly-fire incidents on one map I played last night. People were so jumpy they fired at everything that moved.
david363
why is it 11GB?
Zodiaccup
+42|6557

david363 wrote:

why is it 11GB?
I don't know what you're trying to download, it's "just" 1850MB. http://www.realitymod.com/filelinks.html
david363
i know that, but when its installed and i look in add or remove programs its comes up as 11000MB
Revelation_Space
+3|6280
My Add/Remove Programs window says PR is 6.2gig unpacked. Is that right? That's pretty massive, I can't believe it's that big.
[THE] comben
Wee and Biscuits
+43|6544|Cardiff

Revelation_Space wrote:

My Add/Remove Programs window says PR is 6.2gig unpacked. Is that right? That's pretty massive, I can't believe it's that big.
its not that big but it said the same thing on mine for the last version.  i blame windows for being a dumbass tbh.
Zodiaccup
+42|6557

david363 wrote:

i know that, but when its installed and i look in add or remove programs its comes up as 11000MB
Strange, do you use vista? Because it's just 1,9 gb.

https://img260.imageshack.us/img260/9681/pryy2.png

Edit: Now I checked it under start/settings/software, and it shows me 12 gb aswell. ^^
Actually 12 gb is approximately what all my previous pr versions would add up, if I hadn't uninstalled them.

So, like [THE] comben said, blame windows.

Last edited by Zodiaccup (2007-07-25 08:46:29)

VicktorVauhn
+319|6403|Southern California

C-J... wrote:

zeidmaan wrote:

hold the button you use to set markers as Squad leader, or to request supply drop or artillery..... than select "request kit" and than select the kit you want.

Its covered in the training videos for PR
you can see them here
http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=64613

Also you should know that there are dozens of rules regarding kit requesting so i really REALLY recommend that you read the guide.
Thanks man, viewed them both and I´m glad I did, hehe.. It still seems very confusing, I´m not sure how I´m gonna remember all the rules. Can I really get kicked(banned for basicly being new to the game/mod, and therefore not remembering/knowing all the rules?

Btw, I love the realism in this mod, makes BF2-vanilla look like a childsgame. I love AAO, and this might possibly be that game with vehicles, which would make it awesome.

One hour left ob the download=o)
Just be a regular infantry and leave all the special kits to the big bos for a while
If you join a squad, and just follow the leader there isn't a ton to half to know. Pretty much just hold down button for medic bag, make sure to heal after reviving, and when giving ammo drop all your bags(though I think its now only one?) and re-arm your ammo bag from it.

most of the other little rules are for SL, commanders, and pilots.
(HUN)Rudebwoy
+45|6765
Unfortunately i have to quit PR for a while. Now in v0.6 the game became so choppy and laggy, that i cant play properly with all settings on low and in 800*600. Around christmas ill get a new pc, i hope this mod will still be popular at that time. I guess ill have to get back to vBF2...
Longbow
+163|6657|Odessa, Ukraine

(HUN)Rudebwoy wrote:

Unfortunately i have to quit PR for a while. Now in v0.6 the game became so choppy and laggy, that i cant play properly with all settings on low and in 800*600. Around christmas ill get a new pc, i hope this mod will still be popular at that time. I guess ill have to get back to vBF2...
It will be 0.7 already New M16A4's , Chellenger ( afaik ) , russians & canadians ( maybe )
bobby177
+129|6484|Texas.. getting out asap

Zodiaccup wrote:

david363 wrote:

Strange, do you use vista? Because it's just 1,9 gb.

http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/9681/pryy2.png

Edit: Now I checked it under start/settings/software, and it shows me 12 gb aswell. ^^
Actually 12 gb is approximately what all my previous pr versions would add up, if I hadn't uninstalled them.

So, like [THE] comben said, blame windows.
mine says i installed it in 2057
Revelation_Space
+3|6280
As far as I know, some of the PR guys visit this forum, so I'd like to beg for something to be changed in 0.7

Please, please, for the love of God, PLEASE make the vehicle drops come down faster. It would be nicer if the supply drops were faster too.

I'm not asking for vanilla-speed, but it's just ridiculous at the moment. It takes literally like 10-15 minutes after the jet has been over for the vehicle to land.

Now, as far as I know, in real life in these situations, they actually do very low-level drops. I'm talking like 20 feet off the ground, with skids under the wheels of the vehicles.

I don't like complaining about stuff, because it's a wonderful mod, but the vehicle drops seriously have to change (at least on the uber massive maps, it's not much of a problem on the infantry ones).

I was out in the desert defending a flag yesterday. My commander tells my squad to go about 2 miles away to try and defend from an incoming attack. Sure, no problem.....no vehicles around, request vehicle drop. Wait...... wait..... wait......

In the time it took for the vehicle to come down, I could've run from one side of the (enormous) map to the other.

If that really is the way it works in real life, could you guys please take one liberty and make the vehicles drop within 2 minutes instead of 50, please? I'm begging you, it's so frustrating.

If not, then I strongly think that more transport should be included on that uber map (I'm sorry, I've forgotten its name, but it's fucking huge), because half the time you find yourself back at your main base, and all the transport has been left at forward flags. Then you have to wait 20 minutes for the vehicles to respawn. It's just annoying.

Last edited by Revelation_Space (2007-07-26 01:47:18)

mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6732|Sydney, Australia

Revelation_Space wrote:

I don't know what that guy is talking about with the weapons not being accurate enough, they're ultra accurate. The first bullet I fired in the game online was with an SVD at a guy sitting in the gunner's position of a HUMVEE. He was a long way away, and I honestly expected to miss. Pop, dead.

Had a big grin on my face after that.
I've done something like that (in that it was a sniper rifle and i got the grin). In the 0.5 days, I was playing Basrah as USMC. I had the M95 and spotted 3 insurg. 2 had RPGs and the 3rd was standing up, looking out of binoculars... I put a 50cal round through his head. I watched his two friends totally piss-bolt out of there. I waited until the stopped, then I shot them too.

The grin I had after that was massive. I could never have had so much fun in vBF2...
david363
i think i know why it came up as 11GB for me, my normal bf2 comes up with 8GB and i had POE2 and PR installed both at about 2 GB so add them both together and u get 11GB near enough

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard