pish180
+0|6820
i Think they should implemnt this new weapon in the game, the USMC is already starting to switch over to this weapon.

It was named xm8 before the USMC adopted it, but now it is called the M8
This would sortive even things up a little bit between the assault rifle differences, and balancing.  Sense the m16 takes 2 head shots to kill someone!!

----------
Links incase you do not know what i am talking about

https://www.murdoconline.net/archives/Pics/xm8c.jpg

http://www.murdoconline.net/archives/000905.html

http://world.guns.ru/assault/as61-e.htm

http://www.armedforcesjournal.com/black … s=2004_xm8

===========

This weapon is already in the new ghost recon video game coming out.

Last edited by pish180 (2005-09-20 07:40:07)

77th|1st Lt. Werstein
+1|6837|Virginia, USA
yeah the M8...it WILL be the new assault rifle for the military...its not out yet

but it can transform into the regular assault rifle, into a light machine gun, into a sniper rifle, then back into the basic assault rifle.......all done by a few tweaks to the stock, sights, barrel, and clip
Ag3nT-()r@ng3
Another German Mod
+6|6834|Lake Constanze, Germany
Perhaps in one of the expansions....maybe----dunno

Greetz,
Agent
kontrolcrimson
Get your body beat.
+183|6854|Australia
maybe the ones we got just need tweaking?

sorry, im sick and seen like five of these types of threads today...
pish180
+0|6820
the m16 is the way it is suppose to be!  Maybe they could make it a 1 headshot kill... but other then that... it is pretty much how it is... unless they add gun jaming like America's army... and i dont think that is going to happen.  Which is why we (US) want to change weapons.
Israfael
+1|6821
Damn 15000 rounds without lubrication or cleaning.  Thats pretty damn durable.  Also love the stache on the guy in the second link holding up the gun. rofl
77th|1st Lt. Werstein
+1|6837|Virginia, USA
yeah, i say the M16 owns all guns...just concidering its 3 round burst and effectiveness and its friggin accurate
McCullough
+7|6864
>To bad the M8 is so damn ugly! M16 own today and it owns tomorrow.
TriggerHappy998
just nothing
+387|6874|-
If I remember correctly, you can pack it with snow, sand, water, leaves, anything, and it will form bullets with them to use as ammo if you find yourself without any.
pish180
+0|6820
Um... pretty sure the M8 has 3 round burst... And 2nd off.. in real life the m16 blows!!!!! The thing jams if you get 1 girt of sand in it!  And the 5.56 (nato) round is tiny!! It is a wounding round, 1 shot is not a fatal blow as say a 7.62 would be (ak-47). 

The 7.62 is the same as the .308 round... that is what the USMC sniper rilfe (m24) uses. To give people an idea of how much more powerful that rifle is over the 5.56 rifles.
http://www.snipercentral.com/m24.htm

With that being said...  think of why they chose that round and not a 5.56.... Accuracy???  that is the primary purpose of a sniper rifle.   And still till today remains one of the most accurate sniper rifles ever made. 

From what I see the m8 is more accurate then the m16. 

I would agree with you 77th|1st Lt. Werstein on the 3 round burst thing... once you get the hang of it... it owns!!  but the power of it blows!!! and the m8 could bring that to the table.
Croak
+11|6831|San Marcos, CA
The current M16 does not "blow".  You don't have to spend a lot of time keeping it clean, though you do have to treat it with more respect than an AK. 

As for the 5.56 vs 7.62 debate, there's a few serious reasons why we went with a smaller round.  The first is packing ammo...5.56 weighs a lot less than 7.62, so you can have a LOT more ammo in the field without being overburdened, not to mention the weapon itself weighs less.  Even a 7 lb M16 can get heavy after awhile, trust me. 

The second is that 7.62 is HORRIBLE as a round for an automatic rifle.  The greater recoil on 7.62 means a lot of wasted ammo, because beyond point-blank range any shot after the second is likely going to be high.  You wonder why the Soviets switched to the smaller caliber AK74 and 101?  Same reason, the 7.62 AK47 was a first-rate ammo-waster.

7.62 is a good round for a semi-automatic or bolt action rifle if you're worried about range and trajectory and stopping power.

The reality is, we don't fight a lot of open country long range battles with rifles these days.  Engagement ranges are almost always under 200 meters.  For those times when you have to reach out and touch someone, most Marine rifle squads have a designated marksman with a scoped and accurized M16, or a modified M14 (they are not Scout Snipers, just good shots), but that's one man out of 20.

And for a "wounding" weapon, the M16 has killed an awful lot of people.  The problems being faced in Iraq right now are mostly the Army with the short barrel M4, which does not hit as hard as a full barrel M16.

By the way, the Marines don't use the M24, that's the cheaper, less accurate long-action mass-produced Army version.  The Marines use the M40 series, that has a better "short-action" and the weapon is assembled my Marine armorers, not a factory.   http://www.snipercentral.com/m40a3.htm

And finally, we already HAVE the XM8 in BF2.  It's called the G36C.  Same weapon inside, different exterior.  It won't kill any better or worse than the M16.

Last edited by Croak (2005-09-21 17:47:55)

pish180
+0|6820
Yes, you would have to figure that a 7.62 would have more recoil.  Almost 2 times as much lead flying out of the barrel.  To be honest with you... i dont know of anyone who uses the ak 101... i had never even heard of it before bf2.   MEC should be using the ak 47 or some variant of it with a 7.62.  And as another person said, china should be using the Type 56 which is true, also a 7.62.  The ak 101 was made to shoot the 5.56 round, becasue the design of the ak is much better then the m16 and they wanted an AK to shoot the NATO round.  All ak rifles have a bar above the barrel that help with recoil, which is quite effective. 7.62 machine gun usage: ak 47, almost all variants of ak 47,BAR, m60, PKM, Minigun's, SKS and the list goes ON.  I would have to agree with you on... more ammo is wasted... but only in auto mode.  And you only need to hit 1 time!

It is not the round that is inefficent, it is the design of the gun! Yeah, the 7.62 weighs more... but personlly i would rather shoot a person 1 time and have them die rather then an entire 3 round burst. 

It works 2 ways with the weight of the ammo.  Instead of carrying 150/7.62 rounds you now carry 200/5.56 rounds, to inflict the same damage at least with just standard lead or AP rounds.  But I suppose modern erra, you can use a 5.56 made with differ compounds, and inflict the samw amount or more damage.   But that is not bf2, nor is that the point.

It would just be Intresting to see the m8 in bf2.
----
Yeah, the m8 was basied off the g36c.  But has a longer barrel, also classifing it as an assault rifle and not a carbine.  So yes, the power should be greater, due to the more rifling of the barrel, as well as accuracy should be imporved!!

Personally in the game the G36c should not be as accurate as it is in bf2... it only has a 9.7in barrel (247mm).  

------------------------
FYI
5.56 ammo
http://www.dlsports.com/ar15_556mm_tactical_ammo.html
7.62 Ammo
http://www.outdoormarksman.com/images/p … /91006.jpg

You can clearly see the size difference!!
Croak
+11|6831|San Marcos, CA
The problem with "bigger round, more damage, more efficient" thinking is training.  Most military personel only receive basic familiarization training with a rifle, enough to know which end points downrange, how to load it, and how to maintain it.  I could also mention the fact that most armed forces around the world now include women, who (in general) have more problems with lugging the same loads a male can, and have a problem with heavy recoil as well.

And even "well trained" troops (not "elite") have a real problem with fire discipline, putting a LOT of rounds downrange without ever hitting anything.  It's just a better idea to have a greater ammo load for the same weight.

And there are times when you WANT to put a lot of rounds downrange, suppressive fire requires a volume of fire that eats through ammo, so again it's better to have more ammo. 

The people on the other end of your suppresive fire are going to take cover regardless, and could care less if the rounds whizzing by are 7.62 or 5.56, they don't want to be hit by either one.  Since you can "spend" more 5.56, you can lay down heavier suppresive fire, for longer, than you could with 7.62.  And before you mention that supressive fire is the job of the machine gun, you have to realize that an MG is not always availible, whereas an assault rifle is.

And yeah, I agree that they've made the G36c into an uber-carbine in the game.  BTW, when I said we had the XM-8 in the form of the G36c, I should note that the most common/widely produced variant of the XM-8 will in fact be the short-barrled carbine version, by a 4:1 margin over the full-barrel version.  So in a few years when people talk about the M8, they'll usually be referring to the shorty.

The Army really seems to like the carbine these days, which is why the M4 is now in such widespread use.  The Marine Corps has a clue though, and will be ordering the full-length version almost exclusively, much like it still uses the full length M16 now.

Last edited by Croak (2005-09-23 19:05:43)

pinky_81
+1|6816|Denmark
Well - the carbines are great weapons and easy to carry while working... But wonder why they don't realize the longer variant are better??
An example from the danish army is from Iraqie - a truck failed to stop by a control point (later it seemed it didn't have breaks...) and was obviously shot to a halt...
shot with both rifles, carbines (canadian version of m4, m16 etc) and machine guns (7,62mm LMG) the carbines failed to go through the steel parts of the truck - and the only difference from the longer big brother is the length of the barrel... learn!!

Pinky
ProDicTeD
+2|6834
the m16 is in reality not the best weapon by far! the ak-47 is the most durable of weapons just like pish said. Allot of armies have those guns. i don't know allot about the USMC, but from pictures of IraQ i think american soldiers also love AK-47.

Some time ago i watched this program about guns and they weren't that positive about the m16, i believe those people are experts and there for i have the same opinion as them.
pish180
+0|6820
About the women thing in the military... well women are not allowed to go to the front line or even see combat!  The closest they can get is a humvee driver, in a secured area.

And yes you have a good pt, about the suppressing fire thing... that is why we have a m249 saw!  200 Round drum, belt fed.  That shoots VERY VERY fast!! (750-1000 rounds per minute, depending on barrel and conditions). I agree, you do not always have an LMG at hand. 

About the Ak.  Look how many armies are using the ak47 or some variant of it...  It must be doing something right.  Easy to make, durable, powerful, cheap, accurate.

I really doubt they would change the weapon model or make the m8 as an unlockable weapon... so i guess it would be a good idea for an expansion. EA is to busy *lazy* to do something like this.
-101-InvaderZim
+42|6870|Waikato, Aotearoa
M8 new weapon for the US Army?? news to me. I was under the assumption that the OICW was gonna replace the M4 and M16A2
Ag3nT-()r@ng3
Another German Mod
+6|6834|Lake Constanze, Germany

-101-InvaderZim wrote:

M8 new weapon for the US Army?? news to me. I was under the assumption that the OICW was gonna replace the M4 and M16A2
As far as i know the XM8/M8 should replace the M16/M4 but it's still in development.
The OICW project has been stopped a long time before, but now new rumours came up, it might be
field-testet in 2006. Production start of the XM29/M29 is dated to 2008. Who knows.....
Like the Aurora, eh?! Anyone?

Greetz,
Agent
Croak
+11|6831|San Marcos, CA

pish180 wrote:

About the women thing in the military... well women are not allowed to go to the front line or even see combat!  The closest they can get is a humvee driver, in a secured area.

And yes you have a good pt, about the suppressing fire thing... that is why we have a m249 saw!  200 Round drum, belt fed.  That shoots VERY VERY fast!! (750-1000 rounds per minute, depending on barrel and conditions). I agree, you do not always have an LMG at hand. 

About the Ak.  Look how many armies are using the ak47 or some variant of it...  It must be doing something right.  Easy to make, durable, powerful, cheap, accurate.

I really doubt they would change the weapon model or make the m8 as an unlockable weapon... so i guess it would be a good idea for an expansion. EA is to busy *lazy* to do something like this.
Remember that Army convoy that got ambushed in Iraq?  You know, the one where they captured one woman and killed another?  Those women were armed, and they were in a combat zone.  Lots of women in harms way in the US military, and we're "backwards" on the subject.  Many other countries have women in front-line jobs these days.

About the AK47.  It was easy to make, durable, powerful, cheap, but it was NEVER particularly accurate, even in well trained hands.  It was replaced by the AK74 with a smaller round over 30 years ago, for a number of good reasons.

Don't forget the "grass is always greener" syndrome and "war trophy" aspects.  The Viet Cong really liked the M16, the Germans liked the Colt 1911A1 automatic pistol, the Americans loved the Luger Automatic pistol, etc.
pish180
+0|6820
Well croak you have a good point, most armies seem to like each other weapons better... weird...

As much as this war between the 2 guns will keep goin on, and on... it is to much like the ATI vs Nvidia fight, or Intel vs AMD.   It just keeps getting more and more annoying, and no one is going to change their mind.

So let me just say a few last things.  It is all based on your situtation and personal perference.  Personally i am not going to shoot anything more then 100 yards away with an assault rife (accurate range of the ak).  That is a snipers job.  Body size has a lot to do with what you want as well... a smaller person that cannot control the kickback of a 7.62 is sure going to take the 5.56, m16 with less recoil.   I am a bigger and stronger person thus another reason why i like the ak... I, myself would most defiently like the most reliable piece of equipemnt available, when it comes down life and death. 

Also the sound of the ak is just satasifying!!  It makes a VERY unique noise, unlike any other rifle.

Reguardless of how much i dislike the m16 or how much you like it... the m8 is goign to be better!! and it would be awesome to see it in a battlefield game.
Croak
+11|6831|San Marcos, CA
Hey, I'm a big guy too.  And I used to have to carry a rifle and pack for a living, 0311 (infantry rifleman) in the Corps back in the early-mid 80's, and went to machine gunner and assault (LAW, TOW, Dragon) schools as well, though my MOS never changed. 

Big guns and heavy ammo definately loose their appeal when you have to hump them.  And combat is exhausting.  The difference in getting a light-weight/low 5.56 recoil rifle on target and making a shot that counts is a LOT higher than trying to swing a heavy 7.62 rifle on target and deal with the recoil and noise, especially when you're tired.

In a game like BF2, where only KILLS matter, it's one thing.  In the real world, a bad guy with a 5.56 in him that isn't dead is still a lot less effective, or combat ineffective.  That's almost as good as dead, and in some ways better (depending on the morals/motivation of the bad guys), because a wounded bad guy can also take one or more other bad guys out of the fight as they deal with their wounded comrade.  If nothing else, having a buddy bleeding and screaming nearby sure as hell DISTURBS the other bad guys. 

And the simple fact is that an M16A2 is a very lethal weapon.

And while 500 meter engagements are rare, you'd be suprised at the times when you'd be expected to make shots beyond 100 meters. 

Marines (ALL Marines) are trained to hit accurately out to 500 meters with an M16.  In the Corps, if you EVER want to get promoted, you MUST qualify on the rifle range KD course every year, Marksman being the minimum passing grade.  To qualify on the old KD, you had to hit targets at 200, 300, and 500 meters, firing 50 rounds in a mixture of standing, kneeling, sitting and prone positions, single shot and rapid fire.  You had to score a 190 out of a possible 250 to qualify as Marksman, with points per shot ranging from 0 (miss) to 5 (bullseye).

Marine Infantry generally score Sharpshooter (a score of 210+) or Expert (225+).  A grunt that only scores Marksman doesn't stay a grunt long.  And your "cutting score", which determines if you get promoted or not, no matter what your job is in the Corps, cook to mechanic to admin to infantry, is comprised of your actual rifle range score, so there's real incentive to do more than just pass on the rifle range.

On top of the KD course that you had to qualify on every year, 03xx Marines had a lot of CQC training.   The CQ training back in my day isn't as good as the MOUT training they're doing currently, and they've revised the KD course quite recently as well, but range and accuracy are still stressed, and even at close ranges, the accuracy of the weapon matters.

So, given that background, (my lowest score in 5 years in the Corps was 232, my highest 243) you might understand why I value accuracy so highly.  Training obviously helps a great deal, but so does the hardware.

To put that in comparison, the shooting skills of the lowest passing grade for a Marine requires more accuracy than the highest ranked Army score.  That doesn't mean there are not good shots in the Army, it just means that the Army stresses accuracy much less than the Corps overall, and generally they don't train out any farther than 200 meters.

Sure, I could kill with an AK47, but I'd have better, repeatable chances of doing it with an M16 over a broader engagement range.  If the chances of a Marine hitting the bad guy at 200+ meters with an M16 is a reliable skill, and the bad guy hitting the Marine at the same range with an AK47 is mostly luck and a prayer to Allah, guess which guy is more likely to come home. 

For a Marine, the reliability of the two weapons is NOT a factor,  you are HEAVILY indoctrinated to care for your rifle.  The reliabilty factor of the AK47 only really matters if you're a poorly trained goat-herder, or a truck driver in the Army. 

Marines learn this creed in Boot Camp, and it may be a bit corny, but it is TRUE:

This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

My rifle, without me, is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I WILL...

My rifle and myself know that what counts in this war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count. WE WILL HIT...

My rifle is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its barrel. I will ever guard it against the ravages of weather and damage as I will ever guard my legs, my arms, my eyes and my heart against damage. I will keep my rifle clean and ready. We will become part of each other. WE WILL...

Before God, I swear this creed. My rifle and myself are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. WE ARE THE SAVIORS OF MY LIFE.

So be it, until victory is America's and there is no enemy, but peace!

Last edited by Croak (2005-09-28 22:35:33)

pish180
+0|6820
nice one croak... i did just want to point out a few things tho.  Anyone who has had been in the army and or marines, who has been issued an m16 better get to like it, for it is thier rifle, and to death till they part moto!  I would only expect that, but again, it depends on you situtation.  And i am almost willing to bet there is not a person in here that has shot an ak47, or at least not in a continious situtation.   There are several reason why you would choose ak47 over m16, and vise versa.

Me perosnally, i would be using the ak, and if if i was offered the the m8 i would be tempted, after somethings i have seen done with it, but still discouraged a bit by the 5.56.

Also note Weight:
ak47 with full clip: 10.7lbs
m16a2 w/full clip: 8.8 lbs
xm8 w/full clip: around 7.5lbs - no official measurement has been done, (at least that that i could find) stating the weight of the weapon in assault style w/clip.  I am assuming it is due to it still being worked on.
*TS*tphai
The Forum Alien
+89|6832|The planet Tophet
they look like their from starship troopers
pish180
+0|6820
haha... i like the guns in starship toopers.
*TS*tphai
The Forum Alien
+89|6832|The planet Tophet
i like ROughneck Starship Troopers it was the CG series they had better guns

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard