paper_pigeon
God Status
+26|6227|Mildura, Aus
hey guys, im having trouble deciding whether to get 2gb RAM or a new Nvidia Geforce 7300 512MB graphics card? i would buy both but im fixing up my car so yeah. but what would improve the performance of bf2 the most?
Obiwan
Go Cards !!
+196|6696|The Ville
ram, get 4 gigs of ram and load times will be less than 15 seconds.

Last edited by Obiwan (2007-07-10 14:05:27)

jamesb
Joined BF2s in November 2005
+133|6725|Doncaster, England
What card and ram do you have now?   (no space)
paper_pigeon
God Status
+26|6227|Mildura, Aus
ah i think i have a 6600GT and like 512MB of ram, or maybe its 1GB
taxi2you
+22|6645|Missouri
Ram would be the biggest gain you could get.  Check newegg.com.  I have GSkill gaming ram and it was cheap and have never had a problem.
buLLet_t00th
Mr. Boombastic
+178|6444|Stealth City, UK
7300 isn't anything amazing but I suppose its still an upgrade for you. If you've only got the money for one, then save for the RAM and a better graphics card. You'd just be wasting you money at the moment.
scottomus0
Teh forum ghey!
+172|6638|Wigan. Manchester. England.

Obiwan wrote:

Ignore him.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6718|Riva, MD

Obiwan wrote:

If your computer runs stable after you install that much.

Last edited by _j5689_ (2007-07-10 20:40:49)

Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6767|Cambridge (UK)
Oooh....

Difficult one...

With that card, I don't think the extra ram is going to make a huge difference in game (depends what settings you run at)...

If you get a better card, then you're gonna notice the lack of ram...

But, more ram will make your system perform better in general...

So, I'd lean towards getting the ram first and a new video card as soon as you can afford it...

Last edited by Scorpion0x17 (2007-07-10 20:49:57)

_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6718|Riva, MD

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Oooh....

Difficult one...

With that card, I don't think the extra ram is going to make a huge difference in game (depends what settings you run at)...

If you get a better card, then you're gonna notice the lack of ram...

But, more ram will make your system perform better in general...

So, I'd lean towards getting the ram first and a new video card as soon as you can afford it...
That helps me with one of my problems too, lol.

I'm upgrading an old eMachines (used to be mine way back when I was like 7 and I am 15 now) that is at my grandparents 2nd house which is running Windows 2000.  When I went there, I replaced the speakers (which made a really loud and annoying noise when turned on) and I put my old Ensoniq ES1370 in it since it's probably better than onboard sound,as it sure was in this comp before I replaced it with an X-Fi XtremeMusic.  Also upgraded the RAM, which is PC133, from 128MB(2x64MB stick from NEC) to a stick of 256MB RAM from PNY because the computer was going really slow.

So I was wondering to myself if I should upgrade to a 2nd stick of PNY 256MB or get the Radeon 9250 I was looking at on Newegg(the current card sucks, DX6 hardware and it only does 24-bit color which looks horrible), looks like you gave me that answer, lol.  Now I just need to figure out if I should get the 128MB or 256MB version of the card.

Sorry for the story, i'm trying to burn the midnight oil so I can go to bed.
BallisticallyYours
+23|6632|Chicago, IL
Ram first.. otherwise the enhanced graphix will drag down system usage.
theknuck
It's pronounced Knuck, like in Knuckle!!
+45|6613|balls
should play bf2 with at least 2gb of ram.  you'll love the difference and kick yourself for not doing it earlier.  as far as your gpu, $100 will get you a 7600gt.  a major improvement over your 6600gt.
MECtallica
+73|6506|jalalabad
the 7300 with 512mb is a joke, trust me, 512mb usage on such a card is pointless, it can't display high resolutions smoothly (which require more than 256mb RAM)

It's like putting smooth racing tires on a volvo, and then off-roading.
Andoura
Got loooollllll ?
+853|6640|Montreal, Qc, Canada
tell us 1st ur pc specs...

to know them go there :

Start ---> Run ---> Type : dxdiag ---> say Yes ---> System is your pc spec, and if you go in display you will have your curent graphic card
[pt] KEIOS
srs bsns
+231|6654|pimelteror.de
as said before, go for the RAM. your 6600gt might not be the best, but as long as you canĀ“t afford a highend card, the RAM already improves your system. i played bf2 with an ati 9800pro since two months ago and it went quite well. i also had two gig ram and so the loading time was fast and i had far less lags.
you should have a look on ebay. there are a lot of rich kids there, who sell their 7900gt, because they have bought the 8800gtx already.
sell your old stuff and get some new.
i have sold my 9800pro for 30,- and bought a 7900gt for 90,-...
eskimo_sammyjoe
Did someone say tea?
+112|6236|S.A. Australia
I think a new computer.....
Serious Flex
paper_pigeon
God Status
+26|6227|Mildura, Aus
its a 6800GS, but im gonna go with the 2gb of RAM
geNius
..!.,
+144|6443|SoCal

scottomus0 wrote:

Obiwan wrote:

Ignore him.
https://srejects.com/genius/srejects.png
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6440|King Of The Islands

paper_pigeon wrote:

Good choice, imo.

And you guys are aware he's from Australia? Unless he's only just put it there, you should not consider NewEgg (ships only to mainland US and some shithole in the Caribbean), and '$100 should get you...' when you also have to consider we are 90c/$1 and everything over here is fuckballs expensive.

Fight the power.
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6539|Long Island, New York

scottomus0 wrote:

Obiwan wrote:

Ignore him.
Yeah, seriously. That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

A 7300 won't help you too much...get an 8600 at the least.
Cerpin_Taxt
+155|6204
The 6800GS is better than the 7300. Why would you spend money to downgrade your video card?

Also, you won't see any difference with 2gb of RAM (if you currently have 1gb) using your current video card.
agent146
+127|6388|Jesus Land aka Canada
hard one yes... assuming there are newer games that going to come out and that you are going to play with them; that need that a more powerful graphic card. hard choice indeed
[pt] KEIOS
srs bsns
+231|6654|pimelteror.de
two gb ram reduce lags. it is worth the money.. go for it.
xRBLx
I've got lovely bunch of coconuts!!
+27|6356|England - Kent
id say ram for smoother gameplay
paper_pigeon
God Status
+26|6227|Mildura, Aus

Cheez wrote:

paper_pigeon wrote:

Good choice, imo.

And you guys are aware he's from Australia? Unless he's only just put it there, you should not consider NewEgg (ships only to mainland US and some shithole in the Caribbean), and '$100 should get you...' when you also have to consider we are 90c/$1 and everything over here is fuckballs expensive.

Fight the power.
too true mate

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard