CommieChipmunk
+488|6570|Portland, OR, USA
So heres the deal.  I have a coolermaster stacker 830 -- great case, keeps everything cool but with 7 120 mm case fans, and extra fans for my graphics card and ram.. It's a little noisy.  I can put up with the noise because the 7.1 surround sound kinda drowns it out.  But, my brother has my old computer with a Thermaltake Tsunami.  Which is an excellent case as well.  Unfortunately his computer is getting kinda dated (amd 3000+, 6800 gt, 2 gbs of ram....), so I'm planning on handing that one off to my mom.  I have an M2N32-SLi deluxe with 2 gbs of ram and a 4600+ sitting and waiting for a graphics card so I can get the thing up and running.

So, I'll probably give him my 7900 GT and grab something from the 8800 series.  Now here's the problem.  Today in the Fry's ads, I saw an Antec 900 case for $70.  I told my brother to get that case anyway and now that it's really really cheap I'm going to go get it today.  But, it's a really cool case and sounds like it'll be much quieter than my beastly 830 -- plus, change is good right?  For those with experience with the 900, would it be worth it to go through the trouble to switch everything from my case and give my CM stacker to my brother - keeping the antec 900 for myself?

My only issue is with the power supply being on the bottom of the case.  I've never dealt with that before and it seems like the heat would rise right into the graphics card?
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6493|N. Ireland
If you are looking back to cut on noise I'd go with a P180/P182. Zimmer has an A900 (as far as I know), so if you want some personal advice I recommend you find him somewhere!

Last edited by leetkyle (2007-07-07 10:16:22)

CommieChipmunk
Alright then, I'll wait to see what Zimmer has to say.
Computer_Guy
+54|6697
P190 is a way better case than the 900 and P180 series, but of course its like $500 because of the dual PSUs it comes with. I have a P180 and i love it. But if i were you i would sitck with Cooler Master.
CommieChipmunk
Like my only issue with the CM is the four fans on the side blowing in/out.  It seems like that would completely ruin the whole airflow setup (like how it's supposed suck in air from the bottom and then expel it out the top/back -- and it looks like the 900 has a really good setup for that).
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6567|NYC / Hamburg

the stacker is a great case. Just don't run all fans full blast. @9V it will still push a way enough air
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
evo.mumbles
+8|6490|E. Sussex
Antec 900 is a great case, lots of space to work with, decent fan layout and they all have speed controls, even with all on the low setting its easily enough air flow. I can hear a very slight hum as I type this but I'm fairly sure that's my CPU cooler I can hear over the top. I really like it, much better than the Arctic Cooling case I had previously and a million times better than the micro-ATX proprietary crap I had before.

Down points:

-not tool-less. Optical drives will need screwing into the bays which are then screwed into the chassis. PCI cards need screwing into the chassis as well. My last case had clips for everything and it was quite nice not to worry about dropping screws into things. Not a huge issue really.

-quite big. It's not enourmous but it's worth checking if you want to put it into a cubby hole in a desk or whatever.

Plus points:

+cooling/air flow is superb. I know someone who complains about the cold air it kicks out

+decent amount of space to work in.

+very solidly built. No chance of smashing flimsy plastic bits off, all very well put together.

Misc:

~could have done with a bigger breakout panel. You get speakers/mic, 2 x USB and firewire mounted at the top by the front which is reasonable, for maximum points it could have done with a little more and/or built them into a drive bay cover instead. Personal preference.

~blue LED's. Hope you like them. I don't but mine is under my desk so they don't bother me. Oh, one of the side panels has a big window built into it so you can......watch it or something I guess. Case modding isn't my thing. Again, personal preference.

More reviews here
Computer_Guy
+54|6697
o, you want the setup, well then i change my decision from before and say go for the A900.
CommieChipmunk

Computer_Guy wrote:

o, you want the setup, well then i change my decision from before and say go for the A900.
wait what?
-101-InvaderZim
+42|6843|Waikato, Aotearoa
Thermaltake Thermaltake Thermaltake..... need I say more.

Get a Kandalf and a 750W Tuff Power PSU and be set for a long looooong time

PS
Thermaltake
LT.Victim
+1,175|6562|British Columbia, Canada
I have a A900, Haven't had any problems with it and I love it.. Plenty of room to work inside and its pretty quite considering how much air its moving around..

Heres a pic of mine, You've probably seen it posted a few times here before..

https://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n82/LTvictim/Camera005.jpg
Microwave
_
+515|6655|Loughborough Uni / Leeds, UK

LT.Victim wrote:

I have a A900, Haven't had any problems with it and I love it.. Plenty of room to work inside and its pretty quite considering how much air its moving around..

Heres a pic of mine, You've probably seen it posted a few times here before..

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n82/ … era005.jpg
I'm thinking of getting a new computer case so after a bit of searching I found this thread.

LT.....I'm thinking of getting the same case you have.

Just a few things:  would you recommend?

Will I be able to fit 2 optical drives and a front-sound-card panel above the two 120mm fans?

Thank you!
buLLet_t00th
Mr. Boombastic
+178|6442|Stealth City, UK
I have the same problem with the CM Stacker, but there's no way I'd ever swap it for the flimsy LOUDER 900.

I sorted the noise out with some aucostic foam. Fastened it to behind the slider by the mobos side, and on the normal side but with enough holes for the side fan. Some more at the front below the Optical drive and above the HD caseing aswel.

Believe me, spending £25 on that was better than buying a whole new case.
Anfidurl
Use the bumper, that's what its for!
+103|6593|Lexington, Kentucky
Personally, I think you can't go wrong with Lian-Li cases and Zalman coolers. Said combo hardly ever disappoints.

But it's the expensive route.

Last edited by Anfidurl (2007-07-10 16:12:23)

Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6537|Long Island, New York
With my Antec 900, the PSU is flipped upside down, so the fan is blowing directly on the GFX card.

No worries.
scottomus0
Teh forum ghey!
+172|6637|Wigan. Manchester. England.

leetkyle wrote:

If you are looking back to cut on noise I'd go with a P180/P182. Zimmer has an A900 (as far as I know), so if you want some personal advice I recommend you find him somewhere!
IS that the one without the side window, all silver or all black?
Gawwad
My way or Haddaway!
+212|6685|Espoo, Finland

scottomus0 wrote:

leetkyle wrote:

IS that the one without the side window, all silver or all black?
Yes.

I'm getting the P182 as it's said to be very quiet and still keep everything cool.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard