Cougar
Banned
+1,962|6775|Dallas

CNN wrote:

BARNSTABLE, Massachusetts (AP) -- A Cape Cod man who claimed he was homophobic, racist and a habitual liar to avoid jury duty earned an angry rebuke from a judge on Monday, who referred the case to prosecutors for possible charges.
art.gavel.jpg

Daniel Ellis' excuses to try to get out of jury duty didn't sit well with the judge.

"In 32 years of service in courtrooms, as a prosecutor, as a defense attorney and now as a judge, I have quite frankly never confronted such a brazen situation of an individual attempting to avoid juror service," Barnstable Superior Court Judge Gary Nickerson told Daniel Ellis, according to a preliminary court transcript of the exchange.

Ellis, of Falmouth, had been called to court with about 60 other potential jurors for possible service on a 23-member grand jury.

On a questionnaire that all potential jurors fill out, Ellis wrote that he didn't like homosexuals and blacks. He then echoed those sentiments in an interview with Nickerson.

"You say on your form that you're not a fan of homosexuals," Nickerson said.

"That I'm a racist," Ellis interrupted.

"I'm frequently found to be a liar, too. I can't really help it," Ellis added.

"I'm sorry?" Nickerson said.

"I said I'm frequently found to be a liar," Ellis replied.

"So, are you lying to me now?" Nickerson asked.

"Well, I don't know. I might be," was the response.

Ellis then admitted he really didn't want to serve on a jury.

"I have the distinct impression that you're intentionally trying to avoid jury service," Nickerson said.

"That's true," Ellis answered.

Nickerson ordered Ellis taken into custody. He was released later Monday morning.

Ellis could face perjury and other charges.
If the guy says he's a homophobic, racist liar and the judge asks him if he is lying to which he replies "maybe"....

So that says the judge belives he is lying about being a homophobic, racist liar, but how can he lie about being a liar and then be held in contempt for perjury for lying about being a liar?!!!

HE FU*KING SAID HE WAS A LIAR, HOW THE HELL ARE YOU GOING TO HOLD HIM ON PERJURY!?!?

S-U-P-E-R-R-E....tarded, D-O-G.
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6535|South Florida
Idiots
15 more years! 15 more years!
OrangeHound
Busy doing highfalutin adminy stuff ...
+1,335|6659|Washington DC

That's not avoiding jury duty ... he's there and in the courtroom.  And, quite frankly, few people really want to take vacation from work to be in the jury pool.

I personally think he's just being honest.
ARCHANGEL1941
Hell Yeah I Suck Toes!!!
+14|6207|Cali

OrangeHound wrote:

That's not avoiding jury duty ... he's there and in the courtroom.  And, quite frankly, few people really want to take vacation from work to be in the jury pool.

I personally think he's just being honest.
Especially not for $8 a day as it was the last time i had jury duty in California 2 years ago.
I mean come on... $8 dollars a day to try and decide someone's fate??? Plz. I'd lie too, the next time around.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6659

8 bucks a day? Hell that won't cover your costs to get there and back.
Villain{NY}
Banned
+44|6354|New York
A true racist/homophobe would have done everything they could've to get on the jury in hopes that the defendant was black or homosexual just to find them guilty.
san4
The Mas
+311|6698|NYC, a place to live
The guy admitted making false statements on his jury selection form and to the judge. You don't get away with making false statements to a judge.
KnowMeByTrailOfDead
Jackass of all Trades
+62|6691|Dayton, Ohio
Sounds like he was being a smart ass and got what he deserved.  There are plenty of ways to get kicked off a jury without being an asshole about it.  Besides, nobody said what the Grand jury was for, he could have been on a really controvercial case that would be like real life D&ST.
Elamdri
The New Johnnie Cochran
+134|6657|Peoria
That judge isn't retarded, he's fucking awesome. He pwned the shit out of that asshole.
ARCHANGEL1941
Hell Yeah I Suck Toes!!!
+14|6207|Cali

ghettoperson wrote:

i know, especially with gas prices the way they are. $3.29 a gallon and the fact that you have to take a day off work.
It actually works out that you are paying to be a juror.
Protecus
Prophet of Certain Certainties
+28|6532

Elamdri wrote:

That judge isn't retarded, he's fucking awesome. He pwned the shit out of that asshole.
Hear hear
CloakedStarship
+76|6575
The guy perjured himself in court, he pwned himself, no stupid judge in this one.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6631|London, England
Stupid Judge? The guy who was trying to get out of jury duty sounds like more of an obnoxious prick to me.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6726

Mekstizzle wrote:

Stupid Judge? The guy who was trying to get out of jury duty sounds like more of an obnoxious prick to me.
But what if he really was racist?
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Cougar
Banned
+1,962|6775|Dallas

CloakedStarship wrote:

The guy perjured himself in court, he pwned himself, no stupid judge in this one.
Anyone who would say that they are a racist homophobic liar shouldn't be on a jury to begin with.  Then when he tells the truth about lying about lying, he gets hit with perjury, which in itself just proves the guys point of being a liar.
BeerzGod
Hooray Beer!
+94|6580|United States
I don't blame him for trying... even if he went about it completely the wrong way. Have any of you ever had to sit in on a jury? It's a vacation from work, yes, but not a welcomed one. If you're not sitting in a courtroom being completely bored, then you are sitting in a small room of people arguing. The food sucks, the pay is even worse, and by the end of it you feel as if you've lost years of your life. Man, I'm getting urked just reliving the whole situation.
blisteringsilence
I'd rather hunt with Cheney than ride with Kennedy
+83|6712|Little Rock, Arkansas

ARCHANGEL1941 wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

i know, especially with gas prices the way they are. $3.29 a gallon and the fact that you have to take a day off work.

BeerzGod wrote:

I don't blame him for trying... even if he went about it completely the wrong way. Have any of you ever had to sit in on a jury? It's a vacation from work, yes, but not a welcomed one. If you're not sitting in a courtroom being completely bored, then you are sitting in a small room of people arguing. The food sucks, the pay is even worse, and by the end of it you feel as if you've lost years of your life. Man, I'm getting urked just reliving the whole situation.
This is to both of you:

It is your civic duty to server on a jury. Quit complaining, or move somewhere where it's not. It's not fun. It's not supposed to be fun. However, your employer IS required to pay you for any day you are scheduled to work, and have to serve on a jury.

Then again, I won't ever have to serve on a jury, so I don't know why I'm bitching at you.
Cougar
Banned
+1,962|6775|Dallas

blisteringsilence wrote:

ARCHANGEL1941 wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

BeerzGod wrote:

This is to both of you:

It is your civic duty to server on a jury. Quit complaining, or move somewhere where it's not. It's not fun. It's not supposed to be fun. However, your employer IS required to pay you for any day you are scheduled to work, and have to serve on a jury.
I won't ever have to either.  Because I hate everyone and I would let them know that.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6661|USA

Cougar wrote:

blisteringsilence wrote:

ARCHANGEL1941 wrote:

BeerzGod wrote:

This is to both of you:

I won't ever have to either.  Because I hate everyone and I would let them know that.
never woulda guessed.
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6529|Πάϊ
He was taken into custody for trying to avoid jury service. Perjury is an accusation. He may not get punished for it from what I read.

Anyway the guy is an asshole. He got what he deserved.
ƒ³
CaptainSpaulding71
+119|6367|CA, USA
you may be able to get out of jury duty for medical condition (eg: diabetes). 

Also, if the trial lawyers perceive you to have an extreme bias - this can get you DQ'ed.  The trick to this is doing it covertly so you don't get found in contempt of court.

If you are a prior felon, you can request to be exempt from attending jury duty forever if you don't have your civil rights reinstated due to the crime/penalty (eg:  you can't own a weapon, can't vote, etc)

Most jury duty service is a day or two.  True your employer should pay you for your days on jury duty, however, if you are on an extended stay (6 months for example in a high profile case), you will likely get screwed come review time because what have you contributed to the company.

the court will give you 10-15 bucks for lunch and a voucher for parking but this is hardly a consolation in most cases.  Some cases can go for longer.  Just pray you aren't on a capital case (death penalty).

in california, you can petition to skip jury duty due to hardship 1 time but then your name goes back into the short list.  Also in CA, you are put on a list with 9347839478 other people for the week.  you are on-call and can check the web the day before if you must come into the courthouse.  if you have to come in, you can still be excused in case the trial gets enough jurists.

should we have professional jury people?  Elderly?  I personally look at jury duty as a civic duty but sure is a pain in the azz when you get called up.

Last edited by CaptainSpaulding71 (2007-07-10 19:45:34)

Tromboner999
Professional Nubcake
+58|6654|Here to Eternity

CaptainSpaulding71 wrote:

you may be able to get out of jury duty for medical condition (eg: diabetes). 

Also, if the trial lawyers perceive you to have an extreme bias - this can get you DQ'ed.  The trick to this is doing it covertly so you don't get found in contempt of court.

If you are a prior felon, you can request to be exempt from attending jury duty forever if you don't have your civil rights reinstated due to the crime/penalty (eg:  you can't own a weapon, can't vote, etc)

Most jury duty service is a day or two.  True your employer should pay you for your days on jury duty, however, if you are on an extended stay (6 months for example in a high profile case), you will likely get screwed come review time because what have you contributed to the company.

the court will give you 10-15 bucks for lunch and a voucher for parking but this is hardly a consolation in most cases.  Some cases can go for longer.  Just pray you aren't on a capital case (death penalty).

in california, you can petition to skip jury duty due to hardship 1 time but then your name goes back into the short list.  Also in CA, you are put on a list with 9347839478 other people for the week.  you are on-call and can check the web the day before if you must come into the courthouse.  if you have to come in, you can still be excused in case the trial gets enough jurists.

should we have professional jury people?  Elderly?  I personally look at jury duty as a civic duty but sure is a pain in the azz when you get called up.
You can be excused from jury duty for a number of reasons. Both attorneys and the judge are looking for complete impartiality on the part of potential jurors and this can include anything from your ethnicity, your religious background, your level of education, your profession, or even your age. For example, the last time was called up for jury duty it was for a case that involved embezzlement and fraud, and I was excused because I worked in finance.
agent146
+127|6397|Jesus Land aka Canada

Villain{NY} wrote:

A true racist/homophobe would have done everything they could've to get on the jury in hopes that the defendant was black or homosexual just to find them guilty.
lol YA
Cougar
Banned
+1,962|6775|Dallas

Tromboner999 wrote:

For example, the last time was called up for jury duty it was for a case that involved embezzlement and fraud, and I was excused because I worked in finance.
That doesn't make any sense.  You think they would have left you on the jury because you would know what the hell they were talking about and whether the guy was full of shit or not.
Tromboner999
Professional Nubcake
+58|6654|Here to Eternity

Cougar wrote:

Tromboner999 wrote:

For example, the last time was called up for jury duty it was for a case that involved embezzlement and fraud, and I was excused because I worked in finance.
That doesn't make any sense.  You think they would have left you on the jury because you would know what the hell they were talking about and whether the guy was full of shit or not.
Yeah it seriously threw me for a curve. The defense attorney asked me about my professional background and then she asked the judge to excuse me because I might have a 'biased' opinion of any forensic accounting evidence provided by an expert witness (if there was any).
Complete and utter BS, but then I wasn't exactly thrilled about jury duty anyway.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard