liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6617|UK
It is common in some European countries to place a space before an exclamation or question mark when typing in their respective language. It is, however, incorrect in English to put a space between the last letter of a word and an item of punctuation.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6484|N. Ireland
This is grammatically correct!
This is not grammatically correct, but gives emphasis !
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6617|UK

liquidat0r wrote:

It is common in some...
When I said 'common' I meant 'correct'.
PspRpg-7
-
+961|6688

Could you explain to me what you're talking about  ?
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6617|UK

FFLink13 wrote:

Obut now even the English have started!
Hmm, I don't think I've seen any English people doing it.

I think the only time I may sometimes add a space is when using quotation marks followed by a '!' or a '?'. Meh.
NiMhurchu
Suicide Operations
+13|6838|Germany

liquidat0r wrote:

It is common in some European countries to place a space before an exclamation or question mark when typing in their respective language.
And those countries are?
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6516|South Florida

FFLink13 wrote:

Ok, this is becoming more and more noticable lately. At first, I just noticed that people from other countries were doing it, but now even the English have started!

Why do people use ? and ! with a space before it?

Surely this way is right!

And not this way !

Does anyone else thinks that it looks stupid?

Why do you do it ?

Someone explain (Anyone but Surgeon, he should be banned from speaking to me)
Mkay. I only use spaces before punctuations when i want a pause. Only some people understand how to make text sound like real words, the rest just dont punctuate. Personally i like to make my text sound the way i talk.

But for people who just do it because they think its proper, there gay.

ok!?
15 more years! 15 more years!
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6617|UK

NiMhurchu wrote:

liquidat0r wrote:

It is common in some European countries to place a space before an exclamation or question mark when typing in their respective language.
And those countries are?
No idea, but a few of the mods use it... So The Netherlands and Germany, for example.

I've no idea if everyone uses it or not. It just seems to be something that "foreign" people use. By foreign I mean people who do not have English as their first language. And the only foreign people whom often I see typing are from Europe.
NiMhurchu
Suicide Operations
+13|6838|Germany

liquidat0r wrote:

NiMhurchu wrote:

liquidat0r wrote:

And those countries are?
No idea, but a few of the mods use it... So The Netherlands and Germany, for example.

I've no idea if everyone uses it or not. It just seems to be something that "foreign" people use. By foreign I mean people who do not have English as their first language. And the only foreign people whom often I see typing are from Europe.
Ah. I see. Well, no, from my point of view it is not correct to leave a space before any punctuation. I think it even does not depend on the language you speak, but the script (latin/cyrillic/arabic) you write. At least in latin and cyrillic script, a space is not "allowed" before a punctuation mark.
HeavyMetalDave
Metal Godz
+107|6648|California
u                             M .                  ..                              W   h                                      at                                       ?
NiMhurchu
Suicide Operations
+13|6838|Germany

Mitch wrote:

FFLink13 wrote:

hummanahummana
Mkay. I only use spaces before punctuations when i want a pause. Only some people understand how to make text sound like real words, the rest just dont punctuate. Personally i like to make my text sound the way i talk.

But for people who just do it because they think its proper, there gay.

ok!?
So how do you pronounce a pause before an exclamation mark?
I think, if sentences and paragraphs and stories are phrased in an understandable, logic and plausible way, you don't need that fancy stuff.

Last edited by NiMhurchu (2007-07-08 16:06:47)

Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6188|Winland

It's annoying !and when people put a space before teh punctation mark ,no space after , and no capital !that hurts my eyes !seriously !makes it sound like somekind of console commands !b FFLink13 grammar !and this is annoying as hell too!when poeple put no spaces,no capitals,and just keep on going like this!it's annoying, because people can't differ one scentence from another scentence.that's all I have to say.cya.

EDIT: This is the most grammatically incorrect thing I've ever written!

Last edited by Freezer7Pro (2007-07-08 16:10:01)

The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6707|Riva, MD
Probably because a lot of them are non-native speakers or retards who don't respect or completely understand the language.
h4hagen
Whats my age again?
+91|6343|Troy, New York

Ryan wrote:

Am I the only one who doesn't understand what the fuck you are talking about?
no
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6756|Cambridge (UK)
like , um, whateve!r
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6681|Devon, England

Mitch wrote:

Personally i like to make my text sound the way i talk.
Me too!

<3

Last edited by FFLink13 (2007-07-09 06:50:38)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard