sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6760|Argentina

imortal wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Let's not forget what the rest of the world did for the US in the wake of Katrina.
You mean laugh, make light and fun of it, and proclaim to all who would listen that we deserved it for our corrupt and evil ways?
Maybe he meant this

Last edited by sergeriver (2007-07-04 17:24:30)

thtthht
maximum bullshit
+50|6333|teh alien spaceshit

Bertster7 wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

That's not entirely fair. The US had a go in Somalia and lots of countries off that list. The Korean war they helped the South Koreans not get invaded by that brutal dictatorship to their North.
My thoughts are they shouldn't have. That was a regional issue for Koreans to iron out. Going into Somalia? Well let's just say they didn't last long and for good reason. 'The west' needs to stop intervening militarily outside of 'the west'.
I'd mostly agree.

Not about the Korean war though. South Korea is a decent, productive, democratic state - which it wouldn't have been otherwise. I'd say it's an excellent example of how American intervention has worked well. I'm all for intervening in international conflicts, it's domestic issues that should be left well alone. If one country decides to invade another, that's not on. Someone needs to look out for smaller countries, like the US is keeping an eye on Taiwan.

I think there is a very important distinction between intervening in international conflicts and domestic conflicts and no one should ever be intervening in domestic stuff. But it is against international law to invade other countries, in general. I feel that should be enforced.
Agreed.
Thanks to America, South Korea is very wealthy now.

Thank you America and happy Independence Day.

If only you guys dropped an atom bomb on the capital of North Korea..... then there would be just Republic of Korea.

Last edited by thtthht (2007-07-04 17:22:55)

Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6584|SE London

dill13 wrote:

so you think that the us should be punished for invading iraq or are they above this international law. iknow the same can be said about england and other countries but thats not the point.
They made a dubious legal case for the war. In fact the Anglo-American legal team that worked on it did an amazing job, as much as I disapprove of it, they managed to make quite a substantial sounding case, out of nothing.

I don't think the US should be punished for it (although maybe Blair and Bush could both get impeached and tried at the Hague - that'd be good (there was quite an amusing C4 program about just such an eventuality)), I just think they should never have done it and should get the fuck out, now.

imortal wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Let's not forget what the rest of the world did for the US in the wake of Katrina.
You mean laugh, make light and fun of it, and proclaim to all who would listen that we deserved it for our corrupt and evil ways?
That's not what happened at all. Everyone was concerned. Then the focus shifted to Bush's crap handling of it and everyone was outraged that the people of New Orleans had to put up with such incompetance.
HunterOfSkulls
Rated EC-10
+246|6282
Gee, here's a thought. Maybe the resentment isn't in spite of what America has done for other nations, but because what it does always seems to come with strings attached. America, both government and citizens, sometimes act like the friend who only ever does anything for you not because they care, or because they like you, or because it's the right thing, but because it means you'll owe them. How many times have we all heard, in regards to the nations of Europe "You'd all be speaking German now if it wasn't for us!" whenever someone from Europe criticizes the US? You know, as if somehow the United States' participation in WWII means that no one from Europe can ever speak ill of the US ever again. "Ooooh, those damn Europeans are saying mean things about us!", big fucking deal. What's the solution, be petty and small in return, or be the better people? Either way, spare us the fucking whining about how under appreciated America is in the world. Maybe if our benevolence wasn't almost always conditional or it wasn't thrown back in the faces of those who received it after the fact, or used to mask something underhanded that the US government was up to, people of other nations might have a better view of the US.
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6545|Texas - Bigger than France
No help comes without strings attached.

Making decisions involves taking a side.

There's people on the other side who criticize.

You can look at the positive side or the negative side.

You can ignore the criticism if you wish.

It's pretty simple.
Pug

CameronPoe wrote:

DeathBecomesYu wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

I rarely hear people crying out 'America save us'. The last time was in 1939. It then took the US a couple of years (and of course the Pearl Harbour incident) to get up off their arses. Having said that: GG USA in WWII. Much appreciated.
OMG..what a short memory...this is a classic example of hate blinding people. You are so focused on the negatives that you fail to even remember anything recent. There is A LOT of short term memories here and VERY LARGE blinders. Just like Slim said above....we are always the first to be asked for help and the first to offer it. We give more to charity and aide than any country in the world but of course you fail to see or remember that.
YOU ARE NOT 'THE FIRST TO GET ASKED' - you're blinded yourself in that regard. You guys believe the US is some knight in shining armour! The west as a whole gets appealed to. You give less to charity per capita than most western countries I might add - not to belittle the good will and generosity of the US when it comes to aid, the US is very generous.

By the way DBY - if you think it's just three or four posters on a forum then you're way off. If you haven't left the US recently then I can tell you that goodwill towards the US is at a global all-time low. Mainly thanks to G.W. Bush.
Oh great, so no one is out there saying "America save us" yet "the US gives less to charity per capita than most western countries"?

Make up you mind - is it "give us more money" or "we're okay, so don't help us"?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6604|132 and Bush

sergeriver wrote:

Why are Americans so obsessed with People obsessed with America?
For the most part if you came to America you would be surprised how many American really don't care about foreigners and "obsessions". Americans work too much and focus more on the things that effect them and their family directly. That probably compounds our negative image, but it is what it is.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
HunterOfSkulls
Rated EC-10
+246|6282

Pug wrote:

Oh great, so no one is out there saying "America save us" yet "the US gives less to charity per capita than most western countries"?

Make up you mind - is it "give us more money" or "we're okay, so don't help us"?
Actually it looks a lot more like a refutation of the previously made statement about the US giving more to charity and aid of other countries than anyone else. Simply put, Cam was calling bullshit on it, not saying "give us more money" or "we're okay, so don't help us" but "quit trying to lord it over everyone, you aren't the only people who help or the people who help the most". As I said before you spewed a bunch of non-sequiturs at me, sometimes the US seems to only do good for gain. People notice it. It bugs them. It bugs them more when the US then turns around and says "Look at all the good we do! LOOK DAMN YOU!!!" every time someone engages in legitimate criticism of US policy.
The_Mac
+96|6228

Bertster7 wrote:

imortal wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

That's not what happened at all. Everyone was concerned. Then the focus shifted to Bush's crap handling of it and everyone was outraged that the people of New Orleans had to put up with such incompetence.
No, that's not what I recall. I recall, actually having friends who came from that place, the democratic* governor denying Bush's National Guard access to the State for 24 hours (in the Constitution, a check and balance was implemented between governor and Prez so that a president cannot move troops within his country, without consent of the governor).
So yes, a lot of incompetence was present, but it was not that of Bush, but of the governor of Louisiana. Of course, the media ignored that, and I'm sure the European media did as well. There's also the fact that the media inflated casualty rates far greater than what they were.

*Democratic party for a rough comparison to the UK's political parties is a Democratic Liberal.
Paco_the_Insane
Phorum Phantom
+244|6648|Ohio
One Word: Chinese Food
Liberal-Sl@yer
Certified BF2S Asshole
+131|6459|The edge of sanity

sergeriver wrote:

Some Americans seem so concerned about every tiny comment about America.  Then, we have people thinking that the World has this obsession with America.  Why do you think that is?
Because americans are easily bored and must have something to do. So they surf the web spouting off that "america rox mah soxroz" and "america will ownzernate you" so they have something to do.
HunterOfSkulls
Rated EC-10
+246|6282

The_Mac wrote:

So yes, a lot of incompetence was present, but it was not just that of Bush, but of the governor of Louisiana and mayor of New Orleans.
Fixed that for ya.

Blanco fucked up by not allowing the Guard in to begin relief efforts. Nagin fucked up further by not directing the resources that were on-hand properly. Bush fucked up by appointing a godsdamn horse breeder as the head of FEMA. The police in New Orleans fucked up by either abandoning their posts or using the chaos as an excuse to engage in general fuckwittery like ordering people back into the disaster area at gunpoint while taking their food and water and shooting people for no good fucking reason. The media fucked up by repeatedly latching onto bogus stories that made the people of New Orleans out to be bestial subhumans who deserved to be drowned like rats. Loads of other people fucked up by sending the refugees from Katrina all over the fucking country, separating them from family members, many times stranding them in places where they have no family, no friends and no way to get back to their life. And all this time later, the fuckups continue. Nagin wants to make the "new" New Orleans into a "market driven" city (impressive how the guy can espouse such a pro-business, pro-wealthy ideal and still be considered some kind of pinko commie leftist). He's said that only those who want to work or are capable of working are welcome back (sorry Grandma, it doesn't matter how many generations of your family called NO home, if you can't build hi-rise condos or strip malls, Mayor Nagin thinks you should fuck off). The housing authority in New Orleans has been tearing down homes as quickly as it can while preventing anyone from attempting to reclaim those homes, sometimes resorting to police force to stop them (can't let all that real estate go to waste, eh?). Insurance companies are refusing to fund new construction until the levees are upgraded, preventing people from rebuilding their homes (wanna bet those levees get upgraded when Mayor Nagin's dream of a "market driven New Orleans" becomes real?).

You are partially right about the incompetence but you fail to include all the perpetrators, instead choosing to focus on those on the opposite of the political aisle from you and giving a free pass to those on your side. There were so many failures regarding Katrina that it is impossible to confine responsibility to just one office of government or just one political party. Just about everyone from the word "go" let those people down and allowed them to suffer for political gain or through lack of compassion. Saying "Oho, but X democrat did Y" isn't going to change the reality of it or wipe away what has happened or is happening there.
(T)eflon(S)hadow
R.I.P. Neda
+456|6832|Grapevine, TX

What the fuck are you guys going to discuss after President George Walker Bush, leaves office?          57ut 7h3 9huck u9 ALREADY!

To give you something to talk about...  Your life with out America for the last 104 years would be nothing like it is, without US. And for the next millenia it wont be either! We all breath the same air, stop trying to knock us down just because we are at the top. Accept it. I dont believe it make US any better than any other country , its just the blessed way it is, for now. It wont always be. Now can you just let it go>?
Smithereener
+138|6319|California
When someone seems to take a lot of interest or an obsession with something you are a part of, you kind of have a tendency to get kind of sensitive about things. Nobody really likes to hear any kind of negative criticism of these things, especially when the non-constructive ones appear (omg america sucs ballz lol).

As for the idea that the world is obssessed with America, it's merely (IMO) just that America is considered to be the dominant power right now. That cheesy, yet relevant Spiderman quote fits in quite well, "With great power comes great responsibility." The general consensus is that America is the dominant power, therefore we have a lot responsibilities to fulfill. Inevitably, there are going to be the ones that are dissatisfied with what we do and speak against it. And those from the criticized nation then feel the need to defend their nation's actions. I'm willing to assume that in the future, if China becomes the new dominant power, much of this focus will go to them, and pretty soon we'll be seeing a lot of things like this. (Why do Chinese people get so obsessed with People bsessed with China?) It goes along with whoever has the most power.
dill13
+67|6196

...except that it was not an illegal action.  I am sure this has been argued to death in here, but if the UN didn't want anyone to interfere with Iraq, they should have written those sanctions a bit better.
im glad they went into Iraq and got rid of that government but who decides whos invasions are wrong. if its up to the UN thats fine, but if US can attack anyone they want without repercussions then theres a big problem and people will hate the US even more. the point im trying to get across is that the US government should not be put on a pedestal above all other countries and not have to follow the same rules (no country should be above the rules no matter how powerful they are). if they are it will only lead to more countries and terrorist groups targeting them and more 9/11s.
Pug

HunterOfSkulls wrote:

Pug wrote:

Actually it looks a lot more like a refutation of the previously made statement about the US giving more to charity and aid of other countries than anyone else. Simply put, Cam was calling bullshit on it, not saying "give us more money" or "we're okay, so don't help us" but "quit trying to lord it over everyone, you aren't the only people who help or the people who help the most". As I said before you spewed a bunch of non-sequiturs at me, sometimes the US seems to only do good for gain. People notice it. It bugs them. It bugs them more when the US then turns around and says "Look at all the good we do! LOOK DAMN YOU!!!" every time someone engages in legitimate criticism of US policy.
My first post was a general statement on the topic, not directed at you...looks like you misinterpreted it.

And I perfectly understand where Cam is coming from.  I believe specifically he isn't weighing the entire amount of "help" because he doesn't agree with the breath of the aid, nor all of the aid in its form.  But either you have faith of what is being done is in US interest, or you don't.  It is possible (note: doesn't say "probable") that some of the things that are happening have to be judged years or generations from now.  Take Vietnam for instance.

I'm not delusional, all aid any country provides ALWAYS has strings attached.  Otherwise there would be no aid at all (or negative aid in the form of supporting the other side).

The reason why people are saying "look at all we do" is because I believe people still have faith - otherwise it would be ohh shit we suck balls.  Plus people have the right to provide criticism of US policy, just like people have the right to defend it anyway they wish.  But the fact remains that occassionaly you see some posts like "should we help the US people overthrow the government"?  etc etc etc.  How legitimate is that?

So from time to time, an overtly negative topic comes off different than it's supposed to be.  A possible interpretation of the "well bullshit, the US doesn't give the same charity per capita", is "let's take you assholes down a notch" or "you do not see the negative side, because your patriotism blinds you".

The truth of the matter is, that the US is going to do whatever it wants until its forced to do something else.  Of course, if the US really didn't care about its image, we wouldn't bother sending any aid at all, close all global communications and pretty much be dead air to the world.  And the result of which would be drastic for both the US and abroad. 

And to be honest, 1) we are going to do things which we feel are in our interest, 2) keeping the world happy is important to us, 3) we give a shit about what's being said, 4) things aren't perfect, but they are pretty damn good, 5) there's always going to be something...

Anyone who believe that it's utopia (and no one does) is delusional.  But there's an awful lot of negative debates here...it's tough to throw something out there and get a "what nation are you from again? and why do we care?", yet the post is there...so we do care...

I challenge you to think of ANY foreign aid from ANY country that doesn't have strings attached.
I also challenge you to think of a nation with a foreign policy that ISN'T using this policy for the benefit of its citizens.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6551|San Diego, CA, USA

dill13 wrote:

the point im trying to get across is that the US government should not be put on a pedestal above all other countries and not have to follow the same rules (no country should be above the rules no matter how powerful they are). if they are it will only lead to more countries and terrorist groups targeting them and more 9/11s.
Your comment "no country should be above the rules no matter how powerful they are," is something we do not follow here in the United States.  The way we think is we'll do whatever we want that is in OUR best interests.  Often we choose not to go against the international community's consensus, but its not something 'written in stone'.

There is a huge debate about the U.N. in the United States that says we should leave it because most of the countries in it actively work against our interests.  Not to mention the billions that are spent in this incredibly bloated and corrupt organization (i.e. Oil for Food anyone?).

In the case of the United States, the only rules we follow are the rules that we want to follow - we are very selfish.
Superslim
BF2s Frat Brother
+211|6695|Calgary

CameronPoe wrote:

Superslim wrote:

PS. I live in CANADA. The US is our best friend, greatest neighbor and awesome ally. You shit on my friends, you shit on me, and thats not a good thing.
Why? What has the US done for Canada recently? I would hope they're nice to you - they're your neighbours ffs.
Are you implying that they should do something? Why would you say that? And what should they do??
CameronPoe
+2,925|6558

imortal wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internatio … ne_Katrina
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6760|Argentina

(T)eflon(S)hadow wrote:

What the fuck are you guys going to discuss after President George Walker Bush, leaves office?          57ut 7h3 9huck u9 ALREADY!

To give you something to talk about...  Your life with out America for the last 104 years would be nothing like it is, without US. And for the next millenia it wont be either! We all breath the same air, stop trying to knock us down just because we are at the top. Accept it. I dont believe it make US any better than any other country , its just the blessed way it is, for now. It wont always be. Now can you just let it go>?
What the fuck have the Wright brothers to do with your obsession with criticism of GWB and his government?
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6760|Argentina

CameronPoe wrote:

imortal wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

I posted the same link, and usmarine went like "wikipedia the roflcopter, OMGZ!!!!".  Then he deleted it.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6558

Superslim wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Superslim wrote:

PS. I live in CANADA. The US is our best friend, greatest neighbor and awesome ally. You shit on my friends, you shit on me, and thats not a good thing.
Why? What has the US done for Canada recently? I would hope they're nice to you - they're your neighbours ffs.
Are you implying that they should do something? Why would you say that? And what should they do??
No I'm not - I'm just baffled that you call the US your 'best friend' and 'awesome ally' when their most outstanding achievement in relation to Canada is that they are geographically close to Canada. Let's not forget they tried to take Canada back in 1812. Perhaps history isn't your strong point...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_1812
CameronPoe
+2,925|6558

sergeriver wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

imortal wrote:

I posted the same link, and usmarine went like "wikipedia the roflcopter, OMGZ!!!!".  Then he deleted it.
LOL. Typical. Pity you didn't reply before it got deleted.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6760|Argentina

CameronPoe wrote:

Superslim wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

No I'm not - I'm just baffled that you call the US your 'best friend' and 'awesome ally' when their most outstanding achievement in relation to Canada is that they are geographically close to Canada. Let's not forget they tried to take Canada back in 1812. Perhaps history isn't your strong point...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_1812
You forgot to mention the US steals all the good comedians from Canada.
Bruce-SuperNub
SuperNoob
+26|6152|Scotland

(T)eflon(S)hadow wrote:

You see i think it's arrogance like this which gives America a bad name. "We are at the top" "we are the greatest country" Bullshit, If you were at the top we wouldn't have negative shit to talk about- Bullshit on the greatest country too due to the fact if it was the greatest country in the world there wouldn't be poverty/homeless people. no country is the greatest, each has their own different quality's.

To be honest i've never heard of a good thing from America, But that might just be me, all we ever get on the news is bad shit.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard