sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6727|Argentina
Some Americans seem so concerned about every tiny comment about America.  Then, we have people thinking that the World has this obsession with America.  Why do you think that is?

Last edited by sergeriver (2007-07-04 17:15:24)

Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686

sergeriver wrote:

Some Americans seem so concerned about every tiny comment about America.  Then, we have people thinking that the World has this obsession with America.  Why do you think is that?
Patriotism.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6193|Escea

I believe that is something to do with the fact that a lot of people are quick to critize the US, but forget or are not interested in what the country has done to help the world. Its a lack of appreciation thing IMO. I'd be ticked off too if everyone went on a mission to bring up everything wrong with my country, wouldn't you?
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6663
I think we're all just a bit OCD.

All as in the whole human population.

Last edited by Superior Mind (2007-07-04 14:59:03)

Mitch
16 more years
+877|6495|South Florida

sergeriver wrote:

Some Americans seem so concerned about every tiny comment about America.  Then, we have people thinking that the World has this obsession with America.  Why do you think is that?
It's cause America > World.
Nuff Sed
15 more years! 15 more years!
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6489|Πάϊ

Mitch wrote:

Nuff Sed
lol
ƒ³
Pernicious544
Zee Tank Skank
+80|6670|MoVal So-Cal

M.O.A.B wrote:

I believe that is something to do with the fact that a lot of people are quick to critize the US, but forget or are not interested in what the country has done to help the world. Its a lack of appreciation thing IMO. I'd be ticked off too if everyone went on a mission to bring up everything wrong with my country, wouldn't you?
Oh my god1 someone gets it!! =1
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6727|Argentina

M.O.A.B wrote:

That's the point I don't agree with.  Most of the World has a huge appreciation for American contribution.  We watch American movies, American tv, we use a lot of things invented there, so don't feel that the World only sees the bad things of America.  Besides, most of the criticism is for GWB and the US foreign policy.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6525

sergeriver wrote:

Do you wanna know why Serge? It's because they care about what the outside world thinks of them (well the ones that realise that there is an outside world anyway). Touching.
aj0405
+19|6131

sergeriver wrote:

M.O.A.B wrote:

That's the point I don't agree with.  Most of the World has a huge appreciation for American contribution.  We watch American movies, American tv, we use a lot of things invented there, so don't feel that the World only sees the bad things of America.  Besides, most of the criticism is for GWB and the US foreign policy.
then why is it that when when we have foreigners talking to us or about us they seem to only bring up negative points?doesn't look like appreciation to me.
imortal
+240|6635|Austin, TX
Let us make it very simple.  I make fun of my sister (well, I used to.) That is okay, because she is my sister.  But YOU ever make fun of my sister, and I will knock some of your teeth out (figuratively, I assume you understand).  It may be a really disfunctional family, but it is my family.  I am allowed to badmouth it, because I am in it.  When you do it, I get really defensive, because someone outside my family is attacking it.  Even if you are only saying something I have already said.

There.  That make any sense?
CameronPoe
+2,925|6525

imortal wrote:

Let us make it very simple.  I make fun of my sister (well, I used to.) That is okay, because she is my sister.  But YOU ever make fun of my sister, and I will knock some of your teeth out (figuratively, I assume you understand).  It may be a really disfunctional family, but it is my family.  I am allowed to badmouth it, because I am in it.  When you do it, I get really defensive, because someone outside my family is attacking it.  Even if you are only saying something I have already said.

What if your sister is going around school punching everybody and stealing their pocket money?

Last edited by CameronPoe (2007-07-04 15:42:33)

imortal
+240|6635|Austin, TX

sergeriver wrote:

M.O.A.B wrote:

uh, huh.  And boy do we Americans never cease to hear about all the good we have done the world from those grateful countries, let me tell you. (yes, sarcasm)
imortal
+240|6635|Austin, TX

CameronPoe wrote:

imortal wrote:

What if your sister is going around school punching everybody and stealing their pocket money?
Still my sister. Gotta protect your family from those outside it. How far you protect it is a matter of debate, but you would still prefer to handle things in house rather than let an outsider do it, yes?
CameronPoe
+2,925|6525

imortal wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

imortal wrote:

Still my sister. Gotta protect your family from those outside it. How far you protect it is a matter of debate, but you would still prefer to handle things in house rather than let an outsider do it, yes?
Well of course you'll be defensive but you can't expect people 'in school' not to be openly critical about someone whose being such a nob.
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6641|UK

CameronPoe wrote:

imortal wrote:

We all go play trains and tunnels....collectively.

Last edited by m3thod (2007-07-04 15:46:02)

Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
Superslim
BF2s Frat Brother
+211|6662|Calgary

sergeriver wrote:

I guess getting constantly kicked in the balls does that. Damned if you do damned if you don't. It's either, America save us, or America fuck off. Never seems to be a happy medium.
JackerP
aka S.J.N.P.0717
+21|6248|Mo Val, Cali
If people enjoy their country they'll defend it against any unjust criticism.
Superslim
BF2s Frat Brother
+211|6662|Calgary

CameronPoe wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

Do you wanna know why Serge? It's because they care about what the outside world thinks of them (well the ones that realise that there is an outside world anyway). Touching.
Hey, that's why women wear make up 
CameronPoe
+2,925|6525

Superslim wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

I guess getting constantly kicked in the balls does that. Damned if you do damned if you don't. It's either, America save us, or America fuck off. Never seems to be a happy medium.
I rarely hear people crying out 'America save us'. The last time was in 1939. It then took the US a couple of years (and of course the Pearl Harbour incident) to get up off their arses. Having said that: GG USA in WWII. Much appreciated.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2007-07-04 15:50:06)

sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6727|Argentina

aj0405 wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

M.O.A.B wrote:

then why is it that when when we have foreigners talking to us or about us they seem to only bring up negative points?doesn't look like appreciation to me.
Look, I don't tell you "hey I like your movies" coz this is D&ST and we talk mostly about politics.  When foreigners criticize GWB it doesn't mean those foreigners don't like the US, maybe they think America deserves much better.  And that's kinda appreciation.
Reciprocity
+721|6551|the dank(super) side of Oregon
well, we are the greatest country in teh world.  it's a burden, but it's our burden.  you dont hear people say, hmmm my life sucks, I think I'll move to Argentina.

Last edited by Reciprocity (2007-07-04 15:53:08)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

sergeriver wrote:

*begins to write a "Why are people so obsessed with Americans who are obsessed with people obsessed with America," then changes mind*

Junk topic.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6525

Reciprocity wrote:

well, we are the greatest country in teh world.  it's a burden, but it's our burden.  you dont hear people say, hmmm my life sucks, I think I'll move to Argentina.
Well maybe if you lived in Paraguay or Uruguay you might...
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6727|Argentina

Reciprocity wrote:

Well, maybe not in the US, but bet your ass we have more than 6 million aliens and we only are 40M here.  But it's your loss, we have the hottest chicks.

Last edited by sergeriver (2007-07-04 15:56:38)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard