Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6616|132 and Bush

https://i18.tinypic.com/53ikzs9.jpg

The Declaration of Independence serves as one of America's most treasured symbols because it identifies the moment at which the nation was born and, in stirring language, describes the reasons for its birth. It announced the separation of the thirteen colonies from England and recounted, for Americans and the international community, the grievances that had led to the call for independence.

Boston Massacre By the middle of the eighteenth century, differences in life, thought, and economic interests had formed between the colonists and England. The British government tried to regulate colonial commerce in the British interest. The Stamp Act passed by Parliament in 1765 roused a violent colonial outcry as an act of taxation without representation.The Townshend Acts (1767) led to such acts of violence as the Boston Massacre and the Boston Tea Party(1773). In 1774 Britain responded with the coercive Intolerable Acts. The first Continental Congress met in September, 1774 and petitioned King George III for redress of their grievances. The king ignored the colonists' complaints and declared the colonies were in rebellion. By the time the Second Continental Congress met in May, 1775, armed conflict had begun in Lexington and Concord, Massachusetts . In June, the Continental Congress created a committee of five members to draft a statement of independence.

Benjamin Franklin, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, Roger Sherman, and Robert R. Livingston comprised the committee charged with drafting the Declaration, but the task fell to Jefferson, as he was considered the most eloquent writer. After Jefferson drafted the document, the committee and Congress made a total of eighty-six changes. Jefferson was well-versed in the ideas of the French and English Enlightenments, and he drew inspiration from English philosopher John Locke. He also used many ideas from his own draft of the Virginia Constitution, as well as the Virginia Declaration of Rights by George Mason. The Declaration of Independence claimed that if a government was tyrannical, the people had a right to overthrow it. It included a long list of the ways the British king had oppressed the colonists.

And finally it concluded that because of the king's oppressive acts, the colonies had the right to declare themselves free and independent states.

The History Channel provides more information on interpreting the Document here.

https://i12.tinypic.com/6aplxyq.jpg

https://i8.tinypic.com/4lina1i.png
Happy Independence Day my fellow Americans.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
jonsimon
+224|6510
Early?
cowami
OY, BITCHTITS!
+1,106|6304|Noo Yawk, Noo Yawk

jonsimon wrote:

Early?
Chances are, most people won't be on BF2s tomorrow.

Not the us Americans, anyway.

EDIT: Acknowledgment that I am American.

Last edited by cowami (2007-07-03 13:37:04)

https://i.imgur.com/PfIpcdn.gif
killajamz666
+0|6159|NJ, USA
yup happy holidays to all!!
jsnipy
+3,276|6537|...

Great post ...+1
Trel
+70|6692

cowami wrote:

jonsimon wrote:

Early?

True, for most of us Yanks will be getting drunk and blowing shit up.  Good times.
Good to be back.
NeXuS
Shock it till ya know it
+375|6356|Atlanta, Georgia
Yea we owned britian back then
Schwarzelungen
drunklenglungen
+133|6311|Bloomington Indiana
be safe guys. i dont wanna read about BF2S members getting drunk and blowing themselves or their house up with fireworks...
leave that to me
happy bday US
Balok77
+28|6163
I cant understand why a country follows a document written hundreds of years old
CommieChipmunk
+488|6585|Portland, OR, USA

Trel wrote:

cowami wrote:

jonsimon wrote:

Early?

True, for most of us Yanks will be getting drunk and blowing shit up.  Good times.
hoo hah!

I'm going to buy me some 'splosives right now
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6699|United States of America

cowami wrote:

jonsimon wrote:

Early?

At this point it's already July 4 in Moscow. Let the celebration begin!
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6616|132 and Bush

Trel wrote:

cowami wrote:

jonsimon wrote:

Early?

Pretty much..
Xbone Stormsurgezz
cowami
OY, BITCHTITS!

Balok77 wrote:

I cant understand why a country follows a document written hundreds of years old
This coming from a Brit?

The Magna Carta mean anything?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6616|132 and Bush

Balok77 wrote:

Ever hear of Amendments?
Also the Declaration of independence is not the Constitution.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
ghettoperson
+1,943|6664

Schwarzelungen wrote:

be safe guys. i dont wanna read about BF2S members getting drunk and blowing themselves or their house up with fireworks...
leave that to me
happy bday US
Don't take it personally, but I'd find nothing funnier than to read about some members of this board blowing shit up and being drunk.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6699|United States of America

Kmarion wrote:

Balok77 wrote:

Ever hear of Amendments?
Also the Declaration of independence is not the Constitution.
Well we still haven't rejoined as the American colonies yet...
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6735|California

Balok77 wrote:

Proof that it works.

People follow the Bible/Qu'ran, etc. And they've been around for 2000+ years.
SpaceApollyon
Scratch where it itches
+41|6534|Finland
I congratulate you for your independence. Is there anything sweeter in the world?
Fly your flag high!
-SpaceA

Last edited by SpaceApollyon (2007-07-03 14:20:16)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6616|132 and Bush

I thought this was cool.. http://stormsurge.us/beck/
Xbone Stormsurgezz
HunterOfSkulls
Rated EC-10
+246|6294

cowami wrote:

Only reason I won't be here tomorrow is I'm stuck working until 4, and then the rest of the night will be spent trying to calm the cats down and make sure some empty sack doesn't burn my apartment down because they're too dumb to find an open space to shoot their fireworks off in/too drunk to care.

I fucking hate the 4th. And I probably wouldn't if people actually understood and cared what it meant anymore instead of it being an excuse to get drunk and blow shit up while the Chinese-made flags hanging off their pickup trucks get progressively more tattered and dirty.
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6462|Chicago, IL
Happy 4th everyone, now lets begin the ritual of drinking too much and either:

A) going for the world record of most automobile related deaths or

B) seeing how quickly we can fill the local emergency rooms.

try not to blow your hands off, it really impairs your typing ability.
evilcartman99
The Octagon
+18|6428|da ville, va
yea fireworks
unfortunately this year i dont have any of the blowing up stuff cause i couldnt get to a state that sells it so i cant blow a chunk out of my country in celebration
i am a sad panda
o and we have one of the three copies of the declaration in our town, if you can guess where i live
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6616|132 and Bush

evilcartman99 wrote:

yea fireworks
unfortunately this year i dont have any of the blowing up stuff cause i couldnt get to a state that sells it so i cant blow a chunk out of my country in celebration
i am a sad panda
o and we have one of the three copies of the declaration in our town, if you can guess where i live
Charlottesville, VA
Xbone Stormsurgezz
cowami
OY, BITCHTITS!

Kmarion wrote:

evilcartman99 wrote:

yea fireworks
i am a sad panda
Charlottesville, VA
'Cause you totally didn't just read his member location thing.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6616|132 and Bush

cowami wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

evilcartman99 wrote:

yea fireworks
i am a sad panda
Charlottesville, VA
'Cause you totally didn't just read his member location thing.
Actually we mods have better tools. Mr.Fresh Meadows NY.... totally.
Xbone Stormsurgezz

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard