theDude5B
Cool member
+804|6759
Hi Everybody............................Hi Mr Dude

Just built myself a new computer. spec

Pentium 4 775 3.2 Ghz
2.0 G DDRII Ram. Unbuffered (EDIT:corsair value selected, so pretty cheap)
160 Gig Maxtor SATA HDD
550Watt Power Supply
Gigabyte Radeon X800XL AGP

now everything seems to be running smoothly, got all the latest drivers for everything. Dont have a good sound card, so i am just using the onboard sound on the motherboard.

When i am playing BF2 for abuot an hour or more, my computer will just freeze with the game still showing on the screen. i have to press the restart button to get anywhere on my computer. In the game i have most of the graphics set to high and have it at 6x anti-aliasing. the sound is set to low because i thought maybe this was putting extra strain on the CPU.

When i check the temperature once the computer has frozen, it is around 61c possibly higher during game play though.
Could it be a heat problem?
Any other ideas ?

Thanks

Last edited by theDude5B (2006-01-29 02:49:39)

.ACB|_Cutthroat1
No place like 127.0.0.1
+76|6704|Gold Coast,QLD,Australia
ummmm 61*c, your evil, stop cruelty on computersm, stop cruelty on computers, c'mon say it with me, umm i dont know what it could be, wats your temp up intil the freezes?
theDude5B
Cool member
+804|6759
checked while i'm not playing any games and it is about 51c

it will either freeze or restart when playing for a long time.
cy|{lops9
+0|6699
Well you might want to reduce some of your graphics settings to medium to start and see if it does the same thing. Check the temperature of the video card too, it should be under 55C. If both of those are alright then you might want to invest in a better heatsink/fan for the cpu.

My comp runs at 35C on Cpu(AMD64 3200+) and 52C on vid card(x1800XL).
spindle
+0|6677
I'd be willing to bet alot of money on a heat problem! Albeit I'm generally paranoid about heat in electronics, I like to keep my CPU below 40c, but usally have to settle for less than 50c. The rest of my system I like to have ebtween 25-39c. With the 775 socket pentium check out the Zalman 120mm CPU cooler.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6715|67.222.138.85
I was having the same problem, and here is a thread that I started.

http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?pid=108165#p108165

It turned out to be a heat problem, but not with my processor, but my video card. After I bought an after-market cooler and gave it enough room to work properly, I was fine. My processor was running much lower than that, but I have an AMD, which have to run cooler. As far as I know, Pentiums are known to regularly run into the 70s without any problems. I wouldnt want to run it at that, but I don't think 61 C should be a problem.
Ryan
+1,230|6851|Alberta, Canada

Man all these problems, im afraid to upgrade...
theDude5B
Cool member
+804|6759
thanks for the help fellow Battlefielders.

Ryan - Be afraid, BE VERY AFRAID!! i have had nothing but problems with this upgrade(well completely new system) it is the first time i have built my own system, so i will learn from all the problems which are thrown up at me.

will look into the cooling solution.
theDude5B
Cool member
+804|6759
Flaming_Maniac

where do i look for the temperature of the Graphics card?
CC-Marley
+407|6837
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4109.html
ATITOOL
download and run it. It's a cool little app
You can adjust many things
but be wary

Last edited by CC-Marley (2006-01-30 01:53:56)

Orgtheone
+30|6671|The Dark Side Of The Moon
all radeon cards shut down the GPU after the temp hits 60c to avoid damage, it is a heat problem

generally fans on radeon cards ain't very good an after market would be advisable

i'd lower the in game video settings on bf2 to lessen the strain on your card its better to have a smooth running reliable game hitting 100fps+ than having a top graphically looking bf2 but which really your card can't handle

(BS)Orgtheone

Last edited by Orgtheone (2006-01-30 02:10:27)

theDude5B
Cool member
+804|6759
I would have thought that the x800xl would have been able to handle high graphics on this game, as it is a good graphics card.

I will lower the settings to see if the problem persists, then go from there.

BLOODY COMPUTERS!!
CC-Marley
+407|6837
Try ATITOOL. You can adjust fan speeds and such.Works greatQ
theDude5B
Cool member
+804|6759
you scared me when u said "be wary" !!!
emperorphoenix
+5|6783|Westeren Australia
this is ati 4 u
razz
+7|6690|Australia

ryan_14 wrote:

Man all these problems, im afraid to upgrade...
Don't be afraid just go AMD.

I know what the problem is, one word.. intel!  lol
theDude5B
Cool member
+804|6759
i was thinking of using AMD cause all my previous computers have been AMD. But my Bro recommended Intel as his computers have been with their processors.
Starting to think maybe this was not a good choice!

think that the next bonus i get, i might just build another computer with even better specs, now that i know what i am doing!
e-i-u-benjamin
WoeKoeMakaLaLaLoekieWaWa
+40|6768|The Netherlands
u sure are putting it to its limits, maybe u need watercooler, its tricky but it works
.ACB|_Cutthroat1
No place like 127.0.0.1
+76|6704|Gold Coast,QLD,Australia
lol, dont need wc, just get a CNPS-9500 LED hsf, it works for amd and intel sockets, i have it, it works awesome
Orgtheone
+30|6671|The Dark Side Of The Moon
i have an Akasa Evo33 Heat pipe CPU cooler for my my AMD athlon 3500 64 overclocked from 2200Mhz to 2618Mhz & its still nicely chilled at 36c (the Evo 33 also comes with connection's for intel)

never buy a intel, trust me I'm a pc engineer & speaking from expereance...

"64 the way to go"

https://img55.imageshack.us/img55/1337/ak913big6fq.jpg

Last edited by Orgtheone (2006-01-30 05:38:27)

iLLmatic
+0|6759|uk
I too have the evo 33, and run a amd 7x57 at around 30-31*c idel, and its perfect.

As for your problem dude, I suggest you check your air flow.. maybe buy a artic cooler ? check your thermal paste etc etc.. and dont OC
sixshot
Decepticon Geek
+50|6684|Planet Seibertron ;)
As others have said, check the graphic card's temperature to determine if it's overheating.  Getting a better cooler for the video card would be the next logical step, since there are quite a few that does an amazing job in cooling the chip.  My R9800 Pro has a Zalman VF700-Cu installed and I swear by it as a good cooling replacement to the stock cooler.  There are other options/choices but I do not have the info available on me now.

As for the CPU temperatures, that should be normal, keyword being 'should'.  Intel's processor would be that high in temps due to their designs.  And if it gets too high, the throttling should kick in automatically.  I doubt it's the CPU getting hot so you shouldn't worry about that.  Since another individual mentioned watercooling, that's the extreme end of cooling and should only be used if you plan on having either a very quiet system or a very overclocked system.

Check the temperatures and update us with the info.  It sounds like a video card problem from what you're describing.  It can't hurt to make sure that it is.  Also, is the video card new or what?  Can you also check that the video card's fan is also working?  I only want to make sure that we cover all grounds before we start up the expenses.
theDude5B
Cool member
+804|6759
i will check the Graphics card when i get back from work at 4:30.

The graphics card is about 4-5 months old and i was using it in my old system to play BF2 and never had any problems with it. Although my old system was OLD so had all thr graphics set to Low.

My bro just told me my new sound card has just been delivered so i am going to install that and stop using the on board sound to try and take some strain off the CPU.

I will get back to ye'all with the results about 6 ish!
theDude5B
Cool member
+804|6759
turned down the graphics to medium and got the sound up to high with my new sound card.

everything seems to be running fine just now. must have been the graphics card overheating.
CC-Marley
+407|6837
Roger that!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard