uber73
+188|6760|Brisbane
I made this way back when our Desert Combat clan was running...

might be useful to some who arent that familiar with chopper controls:

I think the difficulty some people have with flying choppers is in the understanding of how the application of throttle works..

In a jet, increasing throttle causes forward motion
In a chopper, throttle up increases lift vertically thru the rotors.  Once this principle is understood, chopper flight becomes a piece of piss.

Hope this is useful to anyone who is not yet a whirlybird pilot.

THROTTLE
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/uber73/THROTTLE.jpg

FLY FORWARD
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/uber73/STICKUP.jpg
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/uber73/FORWARDVECTOR.jpg

FLY BACKWARDS / STOP FLYING FORWARDS
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/uber73/STICKBACK1.jpg

STRAIFFE
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/uber73/STRAIFE1.jpg

STEER / AXIS ROTATE:
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/uber73/RUDDER1.jpg
SharkyMcshark
I'll take two
+132|6794|Perth, Western Australia
Good diagrams mate, it might help any of the newer pilots with their stuff. Ive taken to piloting choppers a bit recently myself to be honest.
washow
Get out of MY JET!!!
+23|6720
good diagrams.. well but it's too obvious.. people can't fly choppers with joysticks (that's me lol) cuz we tend to over correct it or whatever

gah over correcting sucks

oh yea one another thing..

how the hell do you hover + circle around one spot? i tried lots and it's not going around lol

Last edited by washow (2006-01-29 17:45:59)

-=|BW|=-Hollow_Moon
+5|6763
I still get a kick out of taking newbie pilots out as gunners & doing 6 barrel rolls straight off a carrier & scaring them so much they bail out & have to swim to shore
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6730|Sydney, Australia

washow wrote:

oh yea one another thing..

how the hell do you hover + circle around one spot? i tried lots and it's not going around lol
When hovering, you have to constantly be making adjustments to the pitch. When you take off in the helicopter, you might notice a circle in the HUD move off the screen. This indicates perfect hover. The closer it is to its original position, the closer you are to a perfect hover.
twiistaaa
+87|6677|mexico
my problem is how to get into a hover really quickly?
Wildbill100372
+1|6693
I wonder how chopper pilots have the nose pitched down, circling an area without losing altitude or moving forward.
CommandoRog
+10|6692|USA
When flying full speed to a supply box pull the nose up when you are just about over it and at the same time using pitch so you stay in the air.When you are almost standing still drop the nose until you are at a hover,if nose is to high you will hover backwards.
washow
Get out of MY JET!!!
+23|6720
few questions

how do you circle an area with nose pitched down without losing control

and how do you like halt while going 300km? do i cut throttle while pitch up?

and i'd like to know some throttle controlling tips
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6730|Sydney, Australia

Wildbill100372 wrote:

I wonder how chopper pilots have the nose pitched down, circling an area without losing altitude or moving forward.
If you pitch down, you cannot hold altitude and stay still.

Also,

Wildbill100372 wrote:

circling an area without ... moving forward.
What exactly do you mean?

washow wrote:

and how do you like halt while going 300km? do i cut throttle while pitch up?
You need to plan ahead. You should think, "I am getting close so I should start lowering the throttle". When you do that, if you keep the same attitude, you will begin to descend. To compensate you should slightly pitch up (a few taps on the keyboard).

If you want to practice your  flying, then run your own local server of 64 player Kubra Dam. You can practice your manuvering quite easily because it has a valley, bridges and lots of obsticals. You can use both transport and attack choppers.

Last edited by mcminty (2006-01-29 20:44:55)

[QXJZ]Capt_Kefra
Alright, you're good to go!
+124|6736|Honolulu, HI
Gah, I think some people are just born to be BF2 helo pilots.  Like me, I've had the game nearly seven months and have racked up a pathetic 0.16 K/D with choppers (on the very rare occasions I've felt confident enough to pilot one outside of single-player).

I recommended my friend buy BF2, which he finally did six days ago.  In those six days his flying ability has surpassed mine to the point where he's disappointed if he doesn't go 5:1 or better in a helo.  Six days.

But it's been seven months for me and I can still barely avoid crashing into shit.  Go figure.
Lobsters
+0|6679
Get to tha Choppa!
razz
+7|6690|Australia
lol, if you have a good joy-stick you can fly really well. But a bad one won't get you far but it's still alright.
Wildbill100372
+1|6693

mcminty wrote:

Wildbill100372 wrote:

If you pitch down, you cannot hold altitude and stay still.

Also,

Wildbill100372 wrote:

circling an area without ... moving forward.
What exactly do you mean?
I've seen chopper pilots point the nose down and circle an area (usually a flag area), moving the chopper perpendicular to the long axis of the chopper, thereby allowing the gunner to see better. But the chopper doesn't lose altitude and doesn't move forward.
Nodrak
+0|6671
Well, thats a secret for the advanced pilots.  But if you have some knowledge of Physics, it should come to you with some thought.  For the rest of you, a chopper ALWAYS exerts force on a normal down from the blades, (in BF2 anyways).  Knowing this, we can then apply it to our Circling choppers.  SO, they rotate around a point, easy, use the strafe (aka, Roll) to move you sideways, then use the Rudder (aka, Turn/Steer) to stay on your target.   But wait, wont we fall?  We are pointing down...  Well, in plays a thing called Centrifugal force.  Basically, our chopper is spinning in a circle, so it is being forced away from the center of your rotation.  BUT, the force from the blades, is pointing back and down, cause we are on an angle looking at our target.  So the part of the force that would send you forward, is offset by your rotation, ala the Centrifugal force.  All that is left is the vertical vector of our Thrust, keeping us in the air.

You need practice with this to use it.  Basically, the steeper your aim angle, the faster you have to spin around your target.
Wildbill100372
+1|6693
^^^Looks like I have to play some more single player do get that down. Thanks.
Nodrak
+0|6671
No problem

But Throttle controll is important to keep your speed constant, else you will go fwd or down.  I prefer the Joystic, but thats not for this topic, its Throttle Stick works wonders.  I find it sits about 2/3 full throttle most of the time, full throttle is only needed for evasion.
uber73
+188|6760|Brisbane
most important technique to master is throttle compensation. if u nose down, u automatically move forward unless u throttle down, but accordinly u lose altitude.

hovering means level flight.. not possible to hover unless the chopper is level.

and yeah, the diagrams themselves were originally part of a large FAQ, but i only included the diags here. if there is enough interest, ill do a full chopper flight post..
washow
Get out of MY JET!!!
+23|6720
i'd be very interested in chopper flight guide

i'm pretty okay with jets but choppers... sigh let's just say i can't get far with joystick (i can fly well on keyboard but i want to fly nicely with joystick)

and i don't really know how to control throttle like when to cut (i just leave it at 100% all the time)

thx
Nodrak
+0|6671
Throttle controll....   Say I am hovering at a decent height 1/2-3/4 throttle, making sure the area is not too dangerous.  Then I spot a tank to my lower right.  Well, you might think to turn with the rudder, then then pitch down.  Yea, it might work, but if hes close to you, you wont be able to line up and you will overshoot.

Now, try cutting the throttle, then rolling right and pitching down sli, then put on about 1/2 throttle before you level out.  Your helo won't turn well unless you give it some thrust, but its important that you cut it first.  It makes it so you can roll/pitch without moving in any direction.  You drop alt from losing throttle, and the downward veloctiy makes up for the lack of thrust, in terms of turning.  The only trouble is you will pick up some speed, so your gunner needs to be quick, but you will turn tighter.

The biggest thing with the choppers is your momentum.  You have to work with it, not against it.  Your pitch/roll abilities are related to how much thrust and/or how much airspeed you have.  Your rudder works the same regardless.

So, knowing this, if we want to pitch down without moving fwd, we have to hover, then cut thrust, then pitch.  Your working against gravity here, so you won't fall fast at first.  Make a steep pitch to line your target up, and then max that thrust.  Why max thrust?  Well aside from hitting the ground, it takes us forward.  If you tried to get out of that dive without going fwd, you cant counter the gravity fast enough, unless you had some good hieght.  The extra speed we get from the thrust while falling, we need to use to take us up again.  So when you start to level out, pull back further to counter your forward momentum, and turn it all into lift.

As you get better at this, you can combine it with a 180 turn or a barrel roll, or whatever you need.

Another one of my fav moves is as follows:

Say your comming in on an area with moderate airspeed, and you spot a target too late for your gunner to shoot at.  Well, pull back hard, going to about a 30-45 angle, then cut the thrust, pitch fwd with about 1/3 thrust and you have put yourself into a nice hover with some distance and height on your target and your gunner should still be lined up.

Also, keep in mind that you can roll 90 to a horizontal state, and then pitch back without loosing height.  If you master your throttle controlls you can turn tighter than a jeep, and many times faster than with the rudder.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6725|Riva, MD
The problem I have is how to slow down and stop from going forward.  I think it's mainly a problem with my coordination however.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6715|67.222.138.85

d4rkph03n1x wrote:

Mouse and Keyboard FTW.
Right on man! Doesn't anyone else keyboard for choppers?

Anyways, as far as stopping from speed, I don't think I can cut down from 300 to zero without pulling the nose up, but I can take it from 200 pretty well. Usually I'm charging towards a target at about this speed, and say my gunner misses. I want to swing him around for another shot, and probably not gain any altitude right? About the time that I'm right over the target, I take my finger off w, or kill throttle for all you joy stickers out there, but don't neccesarily reverse thrust. It does help, but if I don't want to lose anymore altitude, no good. Then I start holding A or D for the remainder of the maneuver, depending if I want to go left or right. Say I'm turning left. I hold A down, and at the same time gently press left arrow. I equate it to when a hockey layer wants to stop fast, they don't go down or just stop skating, they push in the opposite direction. Same idea with the rotor. Soon as I lose all forward momentum I let if the arrow key and level out, doing a full 180 and looking right at the enemy. It's kinda hard to explain, I learned by sitting down one saturday with bots on DC and doing nothing all day but flying choppers. Couldn't get it off the pad at the beginning, but after a while I would say I was doing pretty good. After that BF2 was a piece of cake. Just remember that you have to do more than kill your throttle to kill your momentum. As for the above post, I like that maneuver too, but I like to stay as level as possible for my gunner in these positions, because usually if there is armor there's infantry too, and I can still pull off this usually in about the same time or less than a tank can figure out where I went and get his gun around.

Now for a question. For all you l337 pilots out there, what do you do to dodge an incoming plane besides dropping flares, especially one that knows how to use the vulcan? I can do barrel rolls and loops and tight turns and all that great stuff, but I want to know what you guys think is the most effective. A loop is usually the most effective but takes a while to pull off, even if you roll over at the top of the loop. Barrel roll is great except  when your too close to the ground to execute it, and I find a sharp turn often leads to n00b pilots ramming me. (In my opinion a chopper-on-plane collision is always the planes fault, kinda the same thing that a sailboat always has the right of way in the water.)

Last edited by Flaming_Maniac (2006-01-30 18:43:38)

Nodrak
+0|6671
I wont get into the Keyboard vs Mouse thing, but from what Ive seen, the mouse/keyboard users are more accurate with their missiles, but they will not be as maneuverable.  Gunning for pilots, I can tell by how they fly based on how they transition from a turn to hover or vice versa.  The joystick is a smooth transition where mouse users will be more abrupt movments, like a start/stop kinda thing.  Overall, fly how ever you fly well.

As for shaking jets, well thats an interesting topic.  IMO the ONLY thing wrong with jets is they can slow down too much and stay in the air.  That being said, a F35 is the worst jet to get on you, as they can hover just like you if they desire.  Evasion - It depends on where the jet is comming from.  If its comming from the side, then I max thrust and gain height, while not changing my course.  Most jet pilots don't see this comming for some reason.  I think its because they have it in their mind that they will pull up after they shoot you...  There's a good chance you will get rammed, but thats why you keep moving fwd, it helps to minimize the chance.

If they are behind you, then I roll 90 to the side, and pull back full doing a 180 horizontal turn.  Fast flying jets will already pass you as you reversed dir, but the slow ones will still be comming, you shouldn't take too much damage, but you will probly take 1/4 or more if they are good.  Now, I do the 180 because I like to stare them in the face, and make them sweat.  Again they may ram you, or they will veer out of the way.  I always line my gunner up for these jets, as they are moving slow, they are PERFECT targets.  Sadly, most of the time, my gunners don't feel they can hit the jet, and don't try.  But when I get a good gunner, its trouble.  Ive shot down 2 jets via this method with the pilot's missiles, and had gunners shoot down 5-6 or so jets.  I have wounded countless jets this way, and most jet pilots will not try again for the rest of the map.

If they are comming straight at you, I line the gunner up, shoot some missiles, then do what resembels a pendulum.  I roll back and forth about 20 degrees to each side, keeping my aim on the jet.  It really freaks some pilots out when you hit them with a missile.

THe ONLY time i use flares, is when I am attacking ground based AA, and my gunner doesn't see it right away.

EDIT:  Just for reference, since I started using these methods, I have yet to be shot down by a jet.  Only time they can take me out, is by ramming.

Last edited by Nodrak (2006-01-30 19:10:39)

Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6715|67.222.138.85
Sounds like fun Nordak, I'll have to try that.
theCrusifix
+4|6672|Marshall, IL
I'm down with the keyboard, and keyboard only, no mouse, no joystick. been flying that way since 1942 and its the only way to go. I can fly just as good as most of the stunt vids you see. Only when i'm in a game i'm going for the kill, and hard to do with the helo whores so i have stuck with the ground pounding lately...

My suggestion to all of you wanting to learn, pick all 3 see wich one is more comfortable, use that technique and practice in YOUR OWN GAME, then join a server and try it out.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard