Ryan
+1,230|6843|Alberta, Canada

This summer, I am doing somewhat of a part time job. I'm cutting my neighbours grass, and my own grass.
In the end, I'll have $180 to spend. $70 of that is going to Crysis, so I'm only gunna have $110 left.

Now, I will have enough to afford an 8800GTS for $350 (got moniez in my bank account too), but I'm afraid of installing Vista.
I know you can only use DX10 if you have Vista. So is there any point in me buying an 8800GTS if I'm not going to install Vista?

I want DX10 so I can play Crysis with DX10 graphics, but I don't want Vista screwing up my system, so I'm looking for some reasons why I should install Vista.

What are the pros and cons of Vista? Can you tell me what problems you have encountered, if any? Should I even spend my money on an 8800GTS? I wanna stay cheap and $350 sounds pretty good.

Last edited by Ryan (2007-07-01 14:47:46)

motherdear
+25|6651|Denmark/Minnesota (depends)
just install vista on a seperate partition if you got enough room, and after you checked it out for a while you just delete one of the two partitions
Metal-Eater-GR
I can haz titanium paancakez?
+490|6272
Ty said that once,vista is a RAM eater.Make sure u have a lot of ram in ur system
buLLet_t00th
Mr. Boombastic
+178|6442|Stealth City, UK
There is nothing wrong with Vista, its the drivers that are the problem. You'll probably get 32-bit edition, and install that, don't bother with 64-bit yet.

If you've got a lot of programmes you want to run from your old PC make sure drivers and whatever are available for Vista.

There are a load of threads already on this, just have a look around and your questions will be answered!
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6223|Escea

I would get the card and play on DX9 for the time being even though that's not what you want, when you trust Vista more (I don't really know what people don't like about it, don't have myself like) upgrade to it, but good luck anyway.
Microwave
_
+515|6655|Loughborough Uni / Leeds, UK
When Crysis comes out I'm also getting Vista. I'm installing it on a separate HD though so I have Vista on one, and XP on another. Best of both worlds

(Hard drives are so cheap at the moment so s'll good!)
White-Fusion
Fuck
+616|6552|Scotland
I have home premium, its fine, get it, and enjoy crysis.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6493|N. Ireland
just get vista! you won't regret it.
Microwave
_
+515|6655|Loughborough Uni / Leeds, UK
'Is it true' that you need Vista Ultimate to be able to dual-boot it?
Ryan

Will 2 gigs of RAM be enough for Vista?
SoC./Omega
+122|6541|Omaha, Nebraska!

Ryan wrote:

This summer, I am doing somewhat of a part time job. I'm cutting my neighbours grass, and my own grass.
In the end, I'll have $180 to spend. $70 of that is going to Crysis, so I'm only gunna have $110 left.

Now, I will have enough to afford an 8800GTS for $350 (got moniez in my bank account too), but I'm afraid of installing Vista.
I know you can only use DX10 if you have Vista. So is there any point in me buying an 8800GTS if I'm not going to install Vista?

I want DX10 so I can play Crysis with DX10 graphics, but I don't want Vista screwing up my system, so I'm looking for some reasons why I should install Vista.

What are the pros and cons of Vista? Can you tell me what problems you have encountered, if any? Should I even spend my money on an 8800GTS? I wanna stay cheap and $350 sounds pretty good.
Wait for price drops, when the 8900s come out, then the 8800GTX should be like 400-450 dollars.
Ryan

When are the 8900s coming out?
buLLet_t00th
Mr. Boombastic
+178|6442|Stealth City, UK

Ryan wrote:

When are the 8900s coming out?
They aren't! Next load will be 9 series. Top end one just before Xmas.

Last edited by buLLet_t00th (2007-07-01 15:27:20)

Smithereener
+138|6316|California

Ryan wrote:

Will 2 gigs of RAM be enough for Vista?
That's basically the requirement agreed upon by a lot of people. So it should be sufficient.
RandomSchl
|\/|€|\/|߀|2
+52|6444|California
I thought after awhile you would be able to play DX10 games with XP or support for it would be added.

Last edited by RandomSchl (2007-07-01 15:29:33)

Ryan

RandomSchl wrote:

I thought after awhile you would be able to play DX10 games with XP or support for it would be added.
I think there's dome type of DirectX9 version for XP, but it was just a rumor.
Also, is there any real significant performance upgrade between the 320MB and the 640MB?

Last edited by Ryan (2007-07-01 15:37:39)

[PTG]shogun
PS n00b & proud vista user
+44|6432

Ryan wrote:

RandomSchl wrote:

I think there's dome type of DirectX9 version for XP, but it was just a rumor.
Also, is there any real significant performance upgrade between the 320MB and the 640MB?
@ high res
[PTG]shogun
PS n00b & proud vista user
+44|6432

james@alienware wrote:

'Is it true' that you need Vista Ultimate to be able to dual-boot it?
nope

home prem dual boots fine the 3 times i have booted in XP since

RandomSchl wrote:

get over it u will need vista

leetkyle wrote:

just get vista! you won't regret it.
^^^

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard