stef10
+173|6475|Denmark

elstonieo wrote:

Why do people become Atheists? we are all born Atheists then religion is forced on them
Its some bs to say that religion is forced on all.
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6638
because some Catholic priests molest them and they decide to turn away because they dont see molestation as a right way to spread religion lol good thing I'm not Catholic hahaha
Naturn
Deeds, not words.
+311|6598|Greenwood, IN
Simply we are becoming my advanced as a species/race/beings.  We probably adopted religion as a we to explain how things work and why we do what we do.  We are discovering who we really are and what we can do, thats what will save us in the end.  Look at Hiroshima and Nagasaki.  Has anyone else in the work since used a nuclear weapon in hate?  No... for we know what the consequences are if we do so, this is how we are changing.  Now i'm not saying we are not going to have our "different" people that will not like change and keep us on the war path; in whole however I think we will do our selfs better.  The reason I say this is to show you how I see why we are moving away from relegion.  In other words....

WE ARE GROWING UP. 

- Jason S.
CommieChipmunk
+488|6562|Portland, OR, USA
Once you find your own moral compass, you no longer need a 2000 year old to guide you.. unless you do..
David.P
Banned
+649|6266
For the same reasons mostly anything happnes. Either they're fed-up of how its run or they just dont want someone telling them what they dont want to hear.
maffiaw
ph33r me 傻逼
+40|6413|Melbourne, AUS
atheism is a realisation on a higher intellectual basis than religious zeal. What I am saying is atheism follows the logical conclusion that humanity does not require a higher deity for spiritual support or guidance, for morality and good deeds do not come from someone else's orders but from within oneself.
Those that are dependent on religion feel that they would become destitute as a person if they had no faith and are therefore still taking "baby steps" towards being a true independent human because they require an indoctrination to be themselves.

I bet I just alienated everyone single christian in here >.<"")
d4rkst4r
biggie smalls
+72|6446|Ontario, Canada

stef10 wrote:

Wtf is that bullshit. May I ask. Scientists have already said, that somebody gave a hand to make the evolution begin. It is impossible for it to begin on its own.
110 % correct.
"you know life is what we make it, and a chance is like a picture, it'd be nice if you just take it"
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6518|South Florida

sergeriver wrote:

Today almost 1,2 billion persons are atheists or agnostics. 
Why do you think people stopped believing?
Does science prove everything to such a point that people can't believe in God anymore?
Is Organized Religion making people lose faith in God?
Those who choose to believe, do they actually believe, or do they fear to be alone?
Because religion is fiction, and fiction belongs in the fake world. In the real world, theres no place for this silly fictitios belief and 1.2 billion people have already realized this.

I predict in the next 100 years, over 50% of people will be atheists, and religion will be looked at as a taboo rather then a common thing.
15 more years! 15 more years!
Naturn
Deeds, not words.
+311|6598|Greenwood, IN
Its kind of funny though.  I was at my local recurting station yesterday and the guy said "You need religion make it in the armed forces."  I was just perplexed why he said that.  Cause me personaly I have never felt stronger about joining up.  I am 52lbs into my weight lost since late Dec and I don't have one shred of religion in me.  Nothing is going to stop me from getting in and I will not change my beliefs to "fit in".  Cause yes from what I hear you get ridiculed for not being at least somewhat religious.(Just told from a friend in so I don't know who true it really is."
dubbs
+105|6624|Lexington, KY

spray_and_pray wrote:

Because religion sounds like bullshit theres some big man up in the clouds who lets people live there iv they are good and they go under ground if they are bad what kind of bs is that? And a virgin mary bs i bet you she was a slut. If anyone reads the Da Vinci code it gives a lotta reasons why not to beleive.
I hope you know that a lot of the stuff in the Da Vinci code is made up, I learned that after watching a History Channel on it.  They said something about the Rose Line not being the same line that pass through multiple building in the story.  The sect that is mentioned in the Da Vinci code was something made up in the 60's and proven false in court. 

Back on subject, I can name a few things, people feel that the god has abandoned them, or caused them so much pain.  They believe that there is more proof in science facts to say that there not a god.  They see different religions fighting and think that is all there is to religion, etc.
maffiaw
ph33r me 傻逼
+40|6413|Melbourne, AUS
It's all family guy's fault!!!
thtthht
maximum bullshit
+50|6323|teh alien spaceshit
1. Science is now more developed than before. 
    So, we now have more rational expressions. Before, it was just a bunch of guys who couldn't understand anything trying to create an explanation.
2. The reason why we cannot explain beyond big bang is because science is not advanced enough to tell that. We will eventually.
3. The only reference people have for religion is the bible, which wasn't even written by god, because there isn't one. Science has thousands of evidence.
4. Atheism is a fact, not a belief like Cristianity.
5. If there is something called god, woudn't we (the atheists) all be dead by now because we don't believe in god????
6. There is no scientific support for god and religion. If religion is real, what's up with the fossils?
7.There is more than 1 religion, and just 1 atheism.
8. If there are more than 1 religion, woudn't god have corrected us by now??
9. In the bible, it said men must not kill. Now, if you say that religion is real, than woudn't these be god's rules too?? Yet god has killed billions of people. Doesn't that mean god itself is corrupt? Stan on the other hand, had killed 10.
Brasso
+1,549|6623

spray_and_pray wrote:

Because religion sounds like bullshit theres some big man up in the clouds who lets people live there iv they are good and they go under ground if they are bad what kind of bs is that? And a virgin mary bs i bet you she was a slut. If anyone reads the Da Vinci code it gives a lotta reasons why not to beleive.
Lmao.  The DaVinci Code is a fiction book.  There may be real truth to it but don't believe everything you read.

I myself am an Atheist.  Why?  I just stopped believing.  A better question is: Why believe?

"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
lavadisk
I am a cat ¦ 3
+369|6822|Denver colorado
I might inherit some traits from some religions in the future. But one thing is for certain. I'm not going to use Christianity, Judaism or Islamic religions.
topthrill05
+125|6570|Rochester NY USA
I don't believe in organized religion for many reasons, mainly because look what it has done to civilizations in the past and present. I do in fact believe in God and thats my own personal thing.

It would be nice if the Atheists had a little more respect towards people who do believe.
Marconius
One-eyed Wonder Mod
+368|6687|San Francisco
I'm an Atheist mainly because I've done my own research into all the religions and just decided that none of it, though novel, made any sense to me nor do they particularly fit with my own personality.  I highly dislike organized religion, and I don't particularly think the idea that a great sky wizard (with very humanized traits) just created everything is a logically sound one.  I don't subscribe to the idea of blind faith, and I choose to think for myself.
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6439|Chicago, IL
Because they looked up and saw this

https://img253.imageshack.us/img253/3482/cloudfingersz9.png
V1king
+10|6147|Land of crocs and cane toads

topthrill05 wrote:

It would be nice if the Atheists had a little more respect towards people who do believe.
Totally agree and I'm an atheist.  Each to their own.

One point to consider though, is having been bombarded by religious groups for me to believe in their faith by having a bible in every motel room, door knocks and advertising, etc... is as bad as an atheist bagging a religious group.  It's everywhere I look and is in it's own right an insult to my non belief.  You never see an atheist group asking those who believe, not to believe.

There is two sides to every story.
Drakef
Cheeseburger Logicist
+117|6354|Vancouver
There was a recent comic in the newspaper (Yes, a comic. It's next to the Sudoku. So I sneaked a peek) that had a man telling two visitors at the door:

"This pamphlet is blank!"

To which the visitors, portrayed in the same manner as Jehovah's Witnesses, replied:

"Yes, we're atheists!"

Now, if only someone had the balls to do something like that...
V1king
+10|6147|Land of crocs and cane toads

Drakef wrote:

There was a recent comic in the newspaper (Yes, a comic. It's next to the Sudoku. So I sneaked a peek) that had a man telling two visitors at the door:

"This pamphlet is blank!"

To which the visitors, portrayed in the same manner as Jehovah's Witnesses, replied:

"Yes, we're atheists!"

Now, if only someone had the balls to do something like that...
Jackass would be up for the job.  Is there anything those guys won't do...lol
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6530|Long Island, New York

haffeysucks wrote:

A better question is: Why believe?

Because people are afraid of death.
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6657|NT, like Mick Dundee

topal63 wrote:

Flecco wrote:

Braddock wrote:

A Nietzschean Superman perhaps?
The "Ubermensch" yes... What I'm referring to is more the theme of the Dues Ex games. As technology progresses eventually humans will actually make a being so powerful/intelligent that it will be a god/demi-god.

It's possible....

and likely when you consider human stupidity.
Not likely.

The technological singularity is a myth. Myth of techo. God created by man, is not that much different than plain old myth of God.

As a group, or a collective (ever since the invention of a-bomb + ICBM), humans are already the Gods of their own collective destruction, figuratively speaking.
Not really. It's possible and probable in the future.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
elstonieo
Oil 4 Euros not $$$
+20|6331|EsSeX

stef10 wrote:

elstonieo wrote:

Why do people become Atheists? we are all born Atheists then religion is forced on them
Its some bs to say that religion is forced on all.
so are you telling me a child of x months/years has a choice bs
are you saying that parents don't Force there children to go-to church
are you saying that schools don't DO religion

may be its not forced on all but its forced on the majority in the country where i live and went to school
CommieChipmunk
+488|6562|Portland, OR, USA

Poseidon wrote:

haffeysucks wrote:

A better question is: Why believe?

Because people are afraid of death.
No, because people are afraid of Hell.

It disgusts me that religion uses fear as a recruitment tactic.
FlamingPhenix
I'm in ya base, drinking ya booze
+44|6549|Behind you, with a knife
Actually, I'm atheist and one of the only reasons hy i'm like that is because the catholic church bullshitted us all. I needed that to figure that the church was just a big money making machine made by a guy a long time ago.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard