Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6565|San Diego, CA, USA
A Washington Post/ABC News poll found Americans would significantly cut back on driving if gasoline hits $4.38 a gallon on average.
Source: 5 bucks a gallon to clear the mind

Some people in the Green movement believe we should impose a $1.00/gallon gas tax to 'encourage' alternative fuels. 

Is raising the cost of gasoline the only way to ween us off gasoline?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6617|132 and Bush

That is only our personal driving habits. Rest assured our buying habits would be affected long before that. Inevitably the price of nearly every good we purchase would increase to compensate for shipping cost. Surprisingly enough during this last spike in fuel cost the economy continued to grow and inflation maintained. (Yesterdays report)

Edit: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070613/ap_ … Y349uyBhIF
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070613/bs … 0613190838
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
With the devaluing US dollar we are starting to see inflation, especially with our 4.5% unemployment rate.  All signs point to our unemployment rate to be 4.3% next month - an inflationary indicator.

Interest rates will probably have to go up to slow the hot economy.  Prices can go up to about $3.50, I think, before we start seeing any serious signs of slowing in the economy.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6660
the dollar has constantly fluctuated.  im sick of hearing all the doom saying.
r2zoo
Knowledge is power, guard it well
+126|6612|Michigan, USA
Nope, you put a tax on gas, EVERYTHING increase in price, as everything is transported by some vehicle somewhere, buisness have to pay employees more to compensate, then charge more for their service to compensate for raises.  The only thing itll do is cause more inflation.  Gas is vital to the country, taxing it more isnt gonna make us switch fuels.  Until I see an electric car that can haul our camper, 4 people and 2 big dogs ill gladly spend $3+ dollars on gas.
RAVAGE
+4|6190|México City, México.
Private vehicle is one of the biggest pollutants, at the same time its "usefulness" to economic growth is one of the smallest.

Read it: Public transportation: good, like Europe.

Last edited by RAVAGE (2007-06-14 00:06:19)

konfusion
mostly afk
+480|6566|CH/BR - in UK

Put a higher tax on cars... Wouldn't that work?

-konfusion
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6691|Canberra, AUS
Aren't there any incentives for LPG? Here there's a fairly sizable (couple of thousand dollars subsidy) incentive for switching to LPG. It's much, much cheaper and less damaging to the environment. All it really takes is an upfront payment of a few thousands to convert your car (which could easily be subsidised like it is here).

I'm interested, I haven't heard anything about this from the US yet.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
What is LPG?  Low Polluting Gas?
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6598|SE London

Harmor wrote:

A Washington Post/ABC News poll found Americans would significantly cut back on driving if gasoline hits $4.38 a gallon on average.

Some people in the Green movement believe we should impose a $1.00/gallon gas tax to 'encourage' alternative fuels. 

In the UK it's about $2 a litre. Stop complaining.

A $1/gallon tax would be a step in the right direction. Might help address that huge deficit too.

Last edited by Bertster7 (2007-06-14 09:55:45)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6617|132 and Bush

Bertster7 wrote:

Harmor wrote:

How much do you spend a month in gas?
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Mason4Assassin444
retired
+552|6679|USA
Public transportation. I know it doesn't meld well with our American standard of "I want this now and will not accept anything less." Americans with our cars is serious business. Asking a middle class or rich American to pick up a bus schedule and figure out thier route would be like asking the taliban to partake in a pork buffet.

We need more cities with subway systems, and to end the thought process that the bus system is for the poor only. Most of all Americans need to swallow some pride and join the folks lined up at the bus stop.

I'm willing to bet money that people will pay $10 a gallon before they opt for the bus.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6598|SE London

Kmarion wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Harmor wrote:

I've got a 1.1L engine, so not much. Driving a 4-5L V8 in the UK is pretty expensive though.

The petrol to drive between London and Brighton (50-60 miles) costs me less than £10 (maybe £7-8) for a round trip, which is a lot less than the train fare (about £22, was £14 but they keep putting it up).

94p a litre is about as cheap as you get, on the motorway it's typically 99.9p a litre.

(Maybe $150-200 a month)

Last edited by Bertster7 (2007-06-14 09:26:01)

Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6752|Salt Lake City

Harmor wrote:

What is LPG?  Low Polluting Gas?
It's propane.
jarhedch
+12|6686|Aberdeen, Uk, SF Bay Area 1st

Kmarion wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Harmor wrote:

I spend about $300.00 in fuel every month, in a 1.8L family car that gets in the low 30 MPGs on the freeway, about the same as i spent back home in CA with my 7.6L 2 ton car that got 12 MPG on the freeway when fuel was at the $2.60 mark. With about the same amount of driving.
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6584|NYC / Hamburg

RAVAGE wrote:

Private vehicle is one of the biggest pollutants, at the same time its "usefulness" to economic growth is one of the smallest.

Read it: Public transportation: good, like Europe.
, excuse me while I recover from laughing.

Ok, from a european viewpoint:

private cars have a huge usefulness because without them you wouldn't get to work (and public transport is just not feasible for loads of people) => nothing getting produced => economy dead. Here in europe, or more specifically Switzerland which is supposed to have the best public transprot system, we don't exclusively use public transport. In fact only a small percentage uses it (mainly a few who live and work in the cities). Public transport just takes too long, doesn't get you where you want to go and is too uncomfortable.

Furthermore the amount of pollutants exhausted by cars is not as bad as you would believe. In fact cars are generally pretty clean in comparison to the rest of pollutant emitting things. Also public transport if completely useless during a majority of the day (basically outside of 7-9h and 17-19h), because it drives around completely empty just wasting huge amounts of fuel/electricity. THATS useless pollution. Also remember that the energy efficiency of a vehicle driving with electricity (i.e. trains) is generally lower than that of a fossil fuel driven vehicle. And where does the electricity come from usually? Yes, fossil fuels

EDIT: I like high fuel prices if its mainly due to too much demand/too little supply. Keeps my royal dutch stock going up and the road free for me.

Last edited by max (2007-06-14 09:51:39)

once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6598|SE London

max wrote:

In fact only a small percentage uses it (mainly a few who live and work in the cities). Public transport just takes too long, doesn't get you where you want to go and is too uncomfortable.
That's not true. You are right that it is only those living in cities who use public transport to get to work, but that is not a small percentage. In London 80% of people use public transport to get to work.

max wrote:

Furthermore the amount of pollutants exhausted by cars is not as bad as you would believe. In fact cars are generally pretty clean in comparison to the rest of pollutant emitting things.
That's not really true either. It all depends on the emissions standards of the car. The US, for example, has stupidly lax emissions regulations (which is damaging to their automotive industry apart from anything else, since the dirty cars made there can't be sold overseas).
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6584|NYC / Hamburg

Bertster7 wrote:

max wrote:

In fact only a small percentage uses it (mainly a few who live and work in the cities). Public transport just takes too long, doesn't get you where you want to go and is too uncomfortable.
That's not true. You are right that it is only those living in cities who use public transport to get to work, but that is not a small percentage. In London 80% of people use public transport to get to work.
yeah, I suppose the really big cities (London, Paris, Berlin, ...) are an exemption to the rule. Here Public transport might actually make sense. Also the amount of people living there is not so great in comparison to the total population of Europe. If you look at a "normal" city the amount of people using public transport exclusively is way smaller

max wrote:

Furthermore the amount of pollutants exhausted by cars is not as bad as you would believe. In fact cars are generally pretty clean in comparison to the rest of pollutant emitting things.
That's not really true either. It all depends on the emissions standards of the car. The US, for example, has stupidly lax emissions regulations (which is damaging to their automotive industry apart from anything else, since the dirty cars made there can't be sold overseas).
I was talking from an European standpoint. Should have made that more clear. I agree that getting cars to be cleaner should definitely a goal, public transport outside of the cities is pretty much a waste though.
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6752|Salt Lake City

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

Who was doom saying?
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6598|SE London

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

Who was doom saying?
Most economists.
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6752|Salt Lake City

Bertster7 wrote:

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

Who was doom saying?
Most economists.
Again, I didn't see any doom saying.  I saw some one basically quote from a source, but it wasn't doom saying.  Is the dollar down?  Yes, so that is nothing but a statement of fact.  There are worries of inflation, possibly getting worse due to low, and possibly additional decreases, in unemployment.  Again, not doom saying.  Some of it was fact, some of it nothing more than a standard inflation estimate based on current market conditions.

No where did I see anything about the US folding up or the world as we know it coming to an end.

Last edited by Agent_Dung_Bomb (2007-06-14 10:01:25)

stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6736|California

Gas would have to be alot higher to change public opinion.

I mean, people will bitch and moan all they want about gas prices, but most of them will use it until the day there is no more left to buy.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6637|London, England
People here have driving jobs too, don't think that "well i need a truck for my business" is a valid counter to why you're petrol is so much damn cheaper than ours. Just accept that you guys don't get screwed over as much as we do. Infact, be happy about it.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6648|949

Harmor wrote:

With the devaluing US dollar we are starting to see inflation, especially with our 4.5% unemployment rate.  All signs point to our unemployment rate to be 4.3% next month - an inflationary indicator.

Interest rates will probably have to go up to slow the hot economy.  Prices can go up to about $3.50, I think, before we start seeing any serious signs of slowing in the economy.
I've been paying $3.50/gallon for at least 3 months now.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6598|SE London

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

Who was doom saying?
Most economists.
Again, I didn't see any doom saying.  I saw some one basically quote from a source, but it wasn't doom saying.  Is the dollar down?  Yes, so that is nothing but a statement of fact.  There are worries of inflation, possibly getting worse due to low, and possibly additional decreases, in unemployment.  Again, not doom saying.  Some of it was fact, some of it nothing more than a standard inflation estimate based on current market conditions.

No where did I see anything about the US folding up or the world as we know it coming to an end.
There are a lot of economists saying that the combination of the weak dollar, fairly high inflation and out of control national debt will have potentially severe long term ramifications for the US.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard