Parker
isteal
+1,452|6404|The Gem Saloon

CruZ4dR wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

CruZ4dR wrote:

I was expecting more from a mod. The oil may only last another few years.
Anyhow, the time is running out for industrial countries to start putting real money into alternative energy.
Oh that's right, try to attack my position by pointing out how my forum status affects my ability to point out the extreme gaps in your argument. Good call, very relevant.

Care to site any reliable source about how much oil is still in the Earth or would you rather expect us to believe numbers pulled out of a hat?
I'm not expecting you to believe everything you read. Criticism is good. My source is NA24.no, but I'll bet you don't speak norwegian.

As for you others that have posted over, I'm not gonna respond now. I simply have better things to do.
If you want to flame me when I'm not here then go ahead. I'm sorry that some people derail a serious topic with their irrelevant matters.
If you'll excuse me I have to go study for my last exam this year which is on friday.

Cheers
good luck with the exam, heres hoping you put more thought into that than you did with this thread.
DeathBecomesYu
+171|6189

CruZ4dR wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

CruZ4dR wrote:

I was expecting more from a mod. The oil may only last another few years.
Anyhow, the time is running out for industrial countries to start putting real money into alternative energy.
Oh that's right, try to attack my position by pointing out how my forum status affects my ability to point out the extreme gaps in your argument. Good call, very relevant.

Care to site any reliable source about how much oil is still in the Earth or would you rather expect us to believe numbers pulled out of a hat?
I'm not expecting you to believe everything you read. Criticism is good. My source is NA24.no, but I'll bet you don't speak norwegian.

As for you others that have posted over, I'm not gonna respond now. I simply have better things to do.
If you want to flame me when I'm not here then go ahead. I'm sorry that some people derail a serious topic with their irrelevant matters.
If you'll excuse me I have to go study for my last exam this year which is on friday.

Cheers
You derailed it yourself when you started to generalize and spew your hatred for the U.S. and not to mention attack a few members here personally, even a mod, and name calling doesnt help either. Derailed? Blame yourself.

Last edited by DeathBecomesYu (2007-06-13 13:46:03)

Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6631|London, England
Coal would be going backwards. Even if there is more, no. Just no. We can do better than that. Why are we going backwards. First we get rid of Concorde now we're considering going back to Coal. How is Coal supposed to lubricate things, make plastics and do all that. Only thing it can do is be burned in large quantities for electrical energy at power plants. Can't have a coal car or a coal jet. Sure, electric powered with electricity coming from coal power. That would still be somewhat of a step backwards. For pure electricity there's always Fission and Fusion power anyway.

Oil is more than Electricity and Fuel.
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6681|UK

G3|Genius wrote:

Parker wrote:

you think you are the first to realize this?
you arent, plenty of people are trying to find solutions as we speak.
"superpower", like we arent.......we set the trends the world follows, and are the ones that saves everyones asses when they get into shit.
I love this!  DAMN STRAIGHT we're a superpower.  We do the research.  We have the inventions.  We lead the world.  And you're all jealous.  That's why we're not wasting our time picking on your puny little countries.  USA is the best.  Period.
Yada yada yada.  The USA is the world foremost military and industrial power.  WE GEDIT! WE KNOW!

But.....................................we're not jealous!

(oh and Iraq wasn't puny?)
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
CC-Marley
+407|6838
We have plenty untapped under our feet and off our shores. When/or if( Abiotic theory) the rest of the world runs out. We still have plenty.

lol spell check does not know the word abiotic.
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6681|UK

Tattters wrote:

Wow, I actually took the time to read through this whole post...

And, there's mainly 1 thing I'd like to add:

CruZ4dR wrote:

If you look at china, they have a few hundred million more people than the US and still manage to keep the consumption low per person.
They do have a gigantic industry there as well. There are many more examples to use as well.
You are 100% entirely WRONG! It's quite quite obvious that you have never been to China, because more than 75% of the country is NOT industrialized and entirely agricultural. The only part of the China that has been modernized is the coastal region, mostly around Shanghai and Bejing, but most extensively in the Shanghai region (Not counting Hong Kong nor Taiwan). In these regions it wouldn't feel like you were in a 3rd world country. In the rest of China however, the people would not even know what a car is, and if they do they probably have never seen one in person. I traveled through central China and all the way to Tibet with a few friends, and the fastest mode of transport we could find most of the way was by horse. We slept outdoors since there are no hotels or modern conventional buildings. Everything was made by hand of brick, wood, or straw.

Furthermore, I agree with the people that are saying that the US is consuming a reasonable amount of oil, because they have the largest fully industrialized population in the world.

EDIT: For some reason I think you're going to add about some country like Japan having so much less fuel consumption that us, but also being modern. There's also an obvious answer to that as well. Japan has a much smaller population, and a much newer industry and factories, due to WWII. Most if not all of you should know what happened during WWII in Japan...
Japan's population is around 120m and decreasing.  It's power is dervived from Nuclear.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
RustyNails
BF2s US Server Admin
+31|6629|Margaritaville via Austin

wait..i'm confused...the USA uses a lot of oil?  and also...the middle east has a large supply???  WTF, when did this all happen???

you mean the fact that OPEC consists of 12 countries of which only 2 are NOT in the middle east/ne african region means that maybe the middle east has a large portion of the earth's currently tapped oil?

America has problems, no doubt about that..We do consume a ton of oil and other countries are catching up fast (china/india).
Alternative fuels are being researched on a daily basis but are hindered by profit/cost margins that justify (to corporations around the world, not just in the US) the research.  The US also contributes an enormous amount to the global economy and supplies the rest of the world with a large amount of products made with the petroleum that we use. 

Fact of the matter is that if the oil supplies ran out tomorrow, the whole planet would be in a world of hurt, not just the USA.  I'm so tired of people from other nations passing judgement on the USA wanting it to step up and do something about this or that but then badmouth us in the next breath.  What would the world be like if we played like that...Norway needs to step up and defend this country from tyrrany while we sit here and bitch about how we could do it better.  The USA pours more money and time into these things than any other nation.  It's a hell of a place to live, i've been all over the world and seen the alternatives.  There are some nice places but NONE of them allow me the freedoms and chance of success I have here.  I don't know any americans that criticize or talk down about other countries because they aren't doing enough to save the planet.  We know we have to do things ourselves because very few of those that talk us down or 'await our downfall' take the time to walk out of their parent's house to see what color the sky is, much less help make it a little less poluted.

btw..your maps do show some good info, in the right context and without any spin that is...and you saying things such as you did not know that the middle east had that much oil and thinking no one else knew it either only shows your ignorance and poor education.

ciao!

edited for typos.

Last edited by RustyNails (2007-06-13 16:08:30)

RoosterCantrell
Goodbye :)
+399|6489|Somewhere else

This is funny.  Uh oh. The U.S. needs OIL! pff.  We wil do what we do best. INVADE in the name of FREEDOM.

Not that I agree with this tactic. But it's what our Government does.....The fucking bastard child at the daycare center "GIMME THAT IT'S MINE!"
StormsGathering
+2|6426|Center of the US

RoosterCantrell wrote:

This is funny.  Uh oh. The U.S. needs OIL! pff.  We wil do what we do best. INVADE in the name of FREEDOM.

Not that I agree with this tactic. But it's what our Government does.....The fucking bastard child at the daycare center "GIMME THAT IT'S MINE!"
I hated that kid.
Commie Killer
+192|6397
All Im gonna do is post this article, "Garbage to Oil", Im not gonna get into a argument with the topic poster, the guy seems just a little bit crazy and closed to new ideas. Anyways, heres the article: http://discovermagazine.com/2006/apr/an … il/?page=1
iamangry
+59|6655|The United States of America

CruZ4dR wrote:

The countries with petroleum:

http://e24.no/multimedia/archive/00565/ … 65586t.jpg

Usage of petroleum:

http://e24.no/multimedia/archive/00565/ … 65587t.jpg

I think these two statistics are pretty extreme. Not only does it explain why the U.S. and A is at war in the Middle East,
it also proves that America itself is a consumption beast who depend way too much on the wrong resources.

What will you do when the oil is gone?

Kinda funny that the "superpower" nation U.S.A. wouldn't be anything without the oil trade.
You'll have to think new and invest in the future to remain on top.

You don't have any power if you can't stand on your own feet.

CruZ
Too bad I didn't see this earlier, I could have posted and ended your bullshit thread. 
What you do not realize is that your figures are flat out wrong.  North America has an estimated 2 TRILLION barrels of oil in shale, it's harder to get to and is only now being used.  This is why it's not on your figure.  It's also not on your figures because North America doesn't want you to know that.  In 50 years when we've sucked the Middle East dry they'll finally be industrialized and then they'll need to get their oil from us. 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_shale.  These numbers are even turning out to be underestimates, with some survey estimates reaching as high as 10 TRILLION barrels of oil still in North America.  The west's dependence on the middle east occurs only because their oil is still easy to get to.  But our dependence is VERY temporary.  In a few decades they won't have shit on anyone.
SoC./Omega
+122|6551|Omaha, Nebraska!

CruZ4dR wrote:

The countries with petroleum:

http://e24.no/multimedia/archive/00565/ … 65586t.jpg

Usage of petroleum:

http://e24.no/multimedia/archive/00565/ … 65587t.jpg

I think these two statistics are pretty extreme. Not only does it explain why the U.S. and A is at war in the Middle East,
it also proves that America itself is a consumption beast who depend way too much on the wrong resources.

What will you do when the oil is gone?

Kinda funny that the "superpower" nation U.S.A. wouldn't be anything without the oil trade.

You don't have any power if you can't stand on your own feet.

CruZ
We are working on alternatives...

Last edited by SoC./Omega (2007-06-13 17:33:36)

iamangry
+59|6655|The United States of America

G3|Genius wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Have you guys heard about the coal to oil program?
http://www.glennbeck.com/2006ads/jbluctl.pdf

http://i18.tinypic.com/4lho206.png

Unfortunately I think coal to oil produces higher CO2.
I don't know enough about it, you judge.
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/biztech/ar … 13coal.htm
I found it hilarious that it said "CONFIDENTIAL" in the bottom right corner on the last page of that PDF.  Nothing like sticking that on the internet to protect it from people who would otherwise see it, LOL
That's another source, pioneered by the Germans during WWII actually.  A lot of the information is company private, but I'll let you in on a little secret.  Some companies are researching ways to convert coal at only half the costs that it is now.  I think a lot of people forget that oil companies are some of the largest financial entities in existence.  They're clever people, they're not going to go down without a fight.  I wouldn't be worried about "all the oil drying up... OH NO!!!" until you see the oil companies start to get worried.  And they're not.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard