Yes, there were.58%58% - 21
I think so25%25% - 9
I'm pretty sure there were none5%5% - 2
No11%11% - 4
Total: 36
theit57
I am THE Frodo Baggins.
+124|6404|6 feet under
From what i've read, there were SEALs in Somalia. If anyone can provide me with proof that there were no SEALs in Somalia EDIT:when we went into Somalia in 1993 than i will give them karma, but it has to be from a credible source. thanks

Also feel free to discuss Somalia, Desert Storm, etc.

Last edited by theit57 (2007-06-12 16:01:00)

Parker
isteal
+1,452|6399|The Gem Saloon
recently or in 93?
Ryan
+1,230|6848|Alberta, Canada

NavySeals.com wrote:

The purview of SEAL Teams THREE (Centcom) and EIGHT (Mediterranean and Africa). The SEALs proved themselves in this climate during the Gulf War and in Somolia.

Olson served as a SEAL officer during Operation Desert Storm in 1991 and in Somalia in 1993. SEALs are specially trained forces capable of operating on sea, air and land.
It's straight from navyseals.com. I know it isn't the official Navy SEAL site, but it seems credible.

Last edited by Ryan (2007-06-12 15:22:27)

stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6725|California

Seeing as no one on this website would have access to military records such as "Navy SEALS mission statements" for the past 20 years, no one will have proof.

But why would they be there anyways? Delta was there, they are right up there with tactical know how, as are the Rangers.

So my guess would be no, (for fighting)because

a.) It wasn't a mission of National Security or to apprehend a high priority US target. It was a warlord in a country we couldn't give 2 shits about.
b.) Delta acts on the orders of the President, and the president alone.

Last edited by stryyker (2007-06-12 15:21:01)

howler_27
+90|6692
Of course they were.  You may be too young to remember, but our national news was waiting on the damn shorelines to greet them from out of the surf.  Cameral lights blazing and seal teams crawling up into the beach weeds looking at the crews.  Leave it to the media to put our guys in danger like that.  They obviously thought that since it was billed as a "humanitarian mission" that they had the rights to cover it.  When in fact, it was a blantant endangerment of the mission itself.

Here's a short description of the SEALS actions there.

Navy SEAL Special Reconnaissance and Direct Action
In Somalia, on December 2, 1992, during Operation Restore Hope, Navy SEALs were needed to clear the path for a Marine landing to secure the Mogadishu airport. SEALs from Team One swam to shore, measuring water depth, shore gradient, and beach composition to create maps and secure the landing. A few days later, they explored the Mogadishu Harbor to determine if an adequate port for supply ships could be found. Unexpected problems came when they found that the water in the harbor was contaminated with raw sewage and other wastes. The SEALs completed their jobs, but some became sick from the mission.
The following day, when the Marine landing was taking place, SEALs, along with Marine Recon Units, swam ahead of the landing forces as scouts. What they found was media representatives, bright lights, and television cameras in their faces as they emerged from the water and walked onto the beach. The Marine landing went on, televised for all the world to see.

Direct Action
Also in Somalia, a SEAL sniper prevented a group of marines from being shot at by a Somali gunman.

It was reported that a SEAL sniper with an M88 .50 caliber sniper rifle spotted a Somali gunman ducking behind a rock wall. He believed that the gunman was getting his weapon ready to fire at approaching Marines, who were under orders to capture the Somali faction leader, Hussein Mohammed Aideed. The SEAL knew that he could not warn the Marines in time to avoid becoming targets. He fired his rifle, sending the bullet through the rock wall and taking down the gunman behind it.

Last edited by howler_27 (2007-06-12 15:25:44)

Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6626|London, England
Nope. Because no country has ever invaded a place called Somolia. Do I win the internet idiot prize?
Leprechaun56
Proud Infantry Whore
+31|6589|U.S.A
Yes they were, I read it in Black Hawk Down. One of them got shot, but his knife stopped the bullet, so i guess thats how I remembered it.
Ryan
+1,230|6848|Alberta, Canada

Mekstizzle wrote:

Nope. Because no country has ever invaded a place called Somolia. Do I win the internet idiot prize?
He meant Somalia.
Don't be so critical.
Cowbell_Kevin
+8|6549
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6626|London, England

Ryan wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

He meant Somalia.
Don't be so critical.
Yeah, so i guess i win the internet idiot prize like i mentioned.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6779|Noizyland

Look at that! All but one of the 'o's have miraculously morphed into 'a's!

As to the topic, I'm pretty sure the SEALs were in Somalia in 1993 but they weren't involved in the Mogadishu incident, (e.g. Black Hawk Down.)
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6606|132 and Bush

Xbone Stormsurgezz
Major.League.Infidel
Make Love and War
+303|6483|Communist Republic of CA, USA
I know for a fact that the book mentions them there.  There were 4 of them in the Irene operation.  There's a picture of them reciving some sort of Citation from President Clinton.
theit57
I am THE Frodo Baggins.
+124|6404|6 feet under

Mekstizzle wrote:

Ryan wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

He meant Somalia.
Don't be so critical.
Yeah, so i guess i win the internet idiot prize like i mentioned.
guess so

Last edited by theit57 (2007-06-12 15:52:52)

theit57
I am THE Frodo Baggins.
+124|6404|6 feet under

Major.League.Infidel wrote:

I know for a fact that the book mentions them there.  There were 4 of them in the Irene operation.  There's a picture of them reciving some sort of Citation from President Clinton.
can you post it?

Last edited by theit57 (2007-06-12 15:52:21)

theit57
I am THE Frodo Baggins.
+124|6404|6 feet under

Kmarion wrote:

http://www.dod.mil/pubs/foi/reading_room/778.pdf
A: is that public record?
B: is htat legal?
C: it says nothing about the SEALs
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6606|132 and Bush

theit57 wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Yes, that is the Department of Defenses website. (DOD) Released under the Freedom of information act. They were Rangers, not Seals.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
theit57
I am THE Frodo Baggins.
+124|6404|6 feet under

Kmarion wrote:

theit57 wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Yes, that is the Department of Defenses website. (DOD) Released under the Freedom of information act. They were Rangers, not Seals.
http://www.specwarnet.net/americas/SEALs.htm
found this while searching, thus proving that they were there

Last edited by theit57 (2007-06-12 15:59:59)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6606|132 and Bush

theit57 wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

theit57 wrote:

Who? SEALS in 93?
I don't see anyting about Task Force Ranger.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
theit57
I am THE Frodo Baggins.
+124|6404|6 feet under

Kmarion wrote:

theit57 wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Who? SEALS in 93?
yes, its about half way down the site
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6606|132 and Bush

theit57 wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

theit57 wrote:

Who? SEALS in 93?
I thought you were speaking of the conflict around Black Hawk Down.
I see it says at least one Seal was there to support the Rangers but the DOD website says nothing about it.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
theit57
I am THE Frodo Baggins.
+124|6404|6 feet under

Kmarion wrote:

theit57 wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Who? SEALS in 93?
I thought you were speaking of the conflict around Black Hawk Down.

www.specwarnet.net wrote:

SEALs were also involved in the UN/US peace keeping mission in Somalia. SEALs provided initial beach reconnaissance for the USMC landing along with teams from Force Recon. SEALs were present in Mogadishu to aid in the effort to quell tribal fighting and aid in the US mission to capture the strongest warlord, General Aidid. At least one SEAL was also present on the infamous raid into Somalia that went bad, in which members of the US Army 160th SOAR, Rangers, and 1st SOF-D (Delta, or CAG) were killed.
they were there and at least one was on the fateful mission
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6606|132 and Bush

It looks like there were some there but they did not make up the core.

Following these attacks, Howe and Bir became frustrated with the attempts to
capture Aidid and requested some special assistance from the US by way of the US
Army’s 1st Special Forces Operational Detachment-Delta (Delta Force). They felt the
Delta commandos placed in a joint mission with the QRF, and backed up with proper
intelligence support would yield them their trophy. The forces they assembled and
designated Task Force Ranger (TFR) were commanded by Major General William F.

Garrison.13 The fighting core of TFR would come from the Delta commandos and
members of the 75th Ranger Regiment. Air support came by way of MH-60 Blackhawks
and AH-6J Little Bird helicopters. Finally, a small team of intelligence gatherers, already
in country and tied in with the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) network endeavored to
find Aidid and guide in the task force.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ … 7-0364.pdf Page 5
Xbone Stormsurgezz
theit57
I am THE Frodo Baggins.
+124|6404|6 feet under

Kmarion wrote:

capture Aidid and requested some special assistance from the US by way of the US
Army’s 1st Special Forces Operational Detachment-Delta (Delta Force). They felt the
Delta commandos placed in a joint mission with the QRF, and backed up with proper
intelligence support would yield them their trophy. The forces they assembled and

members of the 75th Ranger Regiment. Air support came by way of MH-60 Blackhawks
and AH-6J Little Bird helicopters. Finally, a small team of intelligence gatherers, already
in country and tied in with the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) network endeavored to

so, i think that we can agree that there were some there, but did not make up the core of the task force
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6606|132 and Bush

theit57 wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

so, i think that we can agree that there were some there, but did not make up the core of the task force
Yes. SOF is often a combination.
Xbone Stormsurgezz

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard