Darkfire
Helping you help yourself
+34|6467| Texas

Stormscythe wrote:

Congratulations!

You are one of the 10% of DQ6 board users who experience this problem! It's time to RMA, the 2nd board might also refuse to work, but with your 3rd one you will probably have one that works very well and oc's like hell
dont talk to me about RMA-ing boards, i have been through FIVE abit AN8-32X's before i got one that worked. and btw to anyone wanting to build a computer, ABIT is SHIT.

@ james- i would try as many things as you can on your own before trying to go into Best Buy or Frys to get them to check it out. They really dont tell you anything you dont know. I took mine in to Best Buy when it would not turn on after i built it and payed somewhere around $60 for them to tell me that "something" wasnt working. no shit really? yeah dont go there if you can help it
gvers
Bad at BF:BC2
+109|6661|The Real World

Have you removed all other leads i.e. ide, floppy and sata so you just have board, processor, graphics card and psu. Plugging and ide lead in the wrong way will cause a problem like this.

You should have
24 pin power
8 pin power
2 x 6 pin power to gpu

graphics card in blue slot and memory in yellow. CPU fan in CPU fan point.

You could also try plugging in the 4 pin molex by the 24pin but it should not be needed.
Stormscythe
Aiming for the head
+88|6538|EUtopia | Austria

james@alienware wrote:

@ Stormscythe:

What's the known problem?
That you don't get a monitor signal while everything else is working. That's just what you described I guess. And you can't solve it without ruining your board even bexond the bug that it has had every since, you'd better RMA it. Honestly, I've read through Gigabyte forums and other hardware sites and they all say the same.

Last edited by Stormscythe (2007-06-08 11:45:09)

Microwave
_
+515|6644|Loughborough Uni / Leeds, UK

gvers wrote:

Have you removed all other leads i.e. ide, floppy and sata so you just have board, processor, graphics card and psu. Plugging and ide lead in the wrong way will cause a problem like this.

You should have
24 pin power yes
8 pin power yes, tried it with 4 and 8 pin
2 x 6 pin power to gpu yes

graphics card in blue slot and memory in yellow. yes
CPU fan in CPU fan point. tried it in cpu fan point but only runs in system fan point

You could also try plugging in the 4 pin molex by the 24pin but it should not be needed. tried that plugged in and not plugged in
scottomus0
Teh forum ghey!
+172|6625|Wigan. Manchester. England.
Start from scratch.

unplug everything. plug ram, psu, cpu, gpu in only. see if it works then
Darkfire
Helping you help yourself
+34|6467| Texas

scottomus0 wrote:

Start from scratch.

or you could go find a friend with similar specs and swap out components until you find what doesnt work
gvers
+109|6661|The Real World

james@alienware wrote:

About the 4/8pin motherboard connector:

I've just read in the manual:

"Do not insert the power supply cables into pins under the protective covers when using a power supply providing a 2x2 12V and a 2x10 power connector."

Any relevance?
It is saying if you have an old PSU 20 pin power and 4 pin cpu power dont remove the cover and plug the 4 pin in their just use the 4 you can see. Thats why the cover is there.
gvers
+109|6661|The Real World

scottomus0 wrote:

Start from scratch.

If this does not work and you can't get other components to test with ring the company you got it from and RMA it DAO.
Stormscythe
Aiming for the head
+88|6538|EUtopia | Austria
I'm still right... sometimes you've just got to accept it...
Microwave
_

gvers wrote:

james@alienware wrote:

About the 4/8pin motherboard connector:

I've just read in the manual:

"Do not insert the power supply cables into pins under the protective covers when using a power supply providing a 2x2 12V and a 2x10 power connector."

Any relevance?
It is saying if you have an old PSU 20 pin power and 4 pin cpu power dont remove the cover and plug the 4 pin in their just use the 4 you can see. Thats why the cover is there.
Ooooo I see.

So somethings up with the motherboard...psssh.

Is there any way of telling this / finding out?

Or do I just have to assume?
gvers
+109|6661|The Real World

If you have built it outside the case to check that the board is not shorting on a post with just the motherboard, cpu and gpu then it is most likely the motherboard but you can't rule out the gpu or memory. Have you tried with just one stick of ram and then the other?
Microwave
_

gvers wrote:

If you have built it outside the case to check that the board is not shorting on a post with just the motherboard, cpu and gpu then it is most likely the motherboard but you can't rule out the gpu or memory. Have you tried with just one stick of ram and then the other?
Yeah, it's definatly not shorting out.

Yeah....it's really hard because I've got no idea what the problem is - it could be a number of things.

If it was the RAM wouldn't it boot first......because everything seems to run - just nothing on the monitor.

I'm trying to look into the acknowledgement from Gigabyte for this known issue, but I'm not getting anywhere....hmph.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6745|Scotland

PM Stormscythe for the links to where he has seen it.
Then stop wasting time and send it back.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6482|N. Ireland
Try (all) of the following:

- Boot with as little strain as possible. Take out everything you don't need (extra RAM; HDDs etc);
- Clear CMOS;
- Ensure Cables are all plugged in;
- Make sure your CPU Fan works (have you tried another?);
- Try another Graphics Card (your card ports may be faulty).

.. I'm afraid that's all I can think of for now, it's quite late and I've got to be up early heh! I'll check back tomorrow and hopefully give you some more advice.
vpyroman
Aeon Supreme commander
+16|6605|UCF
Sometimes (for no real reason) the graphics card puts the signal out to TV. So, if the card has that option, connect it to a tv.
Ryan
+1,230|6832|Alberta, Canada

I suggest putting your throwing arm to good use.
Throw it out the window. Problem solved.

By the way, is it working yet?
T4rd
+44|6665|West Point, NY
I had that prob when I built my 1st desktop.  It turned out to be the stuff I had plugged into my PCI slots.  For some reason when I had my TV tuner card and modem in my PCI slot, it wouldn't boot until after I got my OS installed and everything running first.  Have you tried just running the bare minimum?  Such as just having the video card, RAM, and CPU plugged into the mobo while booting?  Also, your mobo should be giving you a series of beeps (if you have the speaker plugged in) to tell you if there's something wrong with the mobo or your configuration.  Most mobos beep once telling you it POSTed successfully.  If it beeps anymore than once, you'll need to look up the beep codes in the mobos manual to see what's keeping it from booting.  Hope this helps...
necroyeti1612
+6|6172|Vienna, AUT
Hey guy try this always somthing is faulty with you hardware and you can't say what ist is.

Before you do anything go to bios (Cmos) and load fail safe defaults. Then here we go:

First of all...remove all and everything except the cpu! (Yes all...graphics card ram harddrive) You don't realy have to remove it...just unplug it from the mother board.  The PCI cards have to be pulled out.

If only the cpu is left then turn on your pc. Get yourselfe a pc speaker and listen to the sounds...they are described in the manual. If your pc speaker keeps silent at this test situation you can surely say your mobo is broken. RMA a new one...(but better get yourselfe a ASUS commando. ASUS is a bit more expensive but it is worth it. never ever had to build a system twice.)
If you hear beeping sounds...can't say what they sound like cause have done this hell of a time ago...you can surely say your mobo works and is asking for ram (95% chance that the beeps will say...please give me ram).

After putting in the ram start again...if stops beeping for ram or something else...good. Ram is working. If it still beeps for ram than you can point out that your ram is faulty. Try them one by one and run memtest on them to get a prove.

Good...after the working ram...put the graphics card in. One advise...plug the monitor cable always to the DVI-connector that is closer to the mobo. Thats the primary connector. The other one is secondary and some cards have problems if nothing is connected to the primary one!
Boot your system again and see if it displays something on the monitor. If it does...wooohoo working graphics.

Finally put in the hard drive (if you use a raid put only the system harddrives in.). But only the one you need to boot your system (XP/Vista is installed on).

If ist still working...your mainsystem components are working. Do the same with your remaining hardware. So you can point out if something is damaged.

Keep in mind that touching computer hardware with bare hands could also damage it because of electrostatic discharges. Before working with computer hardware take of your shoes and stand bare foot on the ground. If that is not possible touche some earthed things like a water tap or something equaly.

I hope this guide helps ya. Greets and good luck!

EDIT:spelling

Last edited by necroyeti1612 (2007-06-11 06:17:00)

Microwave
_

Replacement motherboard came......still no different.

Quick question: would I need to format my hard drive for it to work or should it work just taken out of my old pc and put in my new one?
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6745|Scotland

Hard drive makes no difference to your BIOS and if it should work or not.
Can you actually see your BIOS?

Is your CPU fan running?
Microwave
_
I still can't see anything on the screen so I can't get into bios.

Yep the cpu fan is running...
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6745|Scotland

Unplug GFX card. Use onboard graphics. Try that.
Check all your mobo connections. ( USB etc etc )
Unplug HDD ( not that it will make a difference )

Try again.
Microwave
_
My motherboard doesn't have onboard graphics. Hmph.

I've tried it without the HD - just the cpu and cpu fan.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6745|Scotland

james@alienware wrote:

My motherboard doesn't have onboard graphics. Hmph.

I've tried it without the HD - just the cpu and cpu fan.
Selfpwned.

Should have got a mobo with onboard ( i.e ASUS. ). Do you have your old GFX? Plug that in.
Only shit I can think of right now.

You have to double check all your wiring in the mobo. I am guessing you went wrong somewhere.

Maybe take a clear picture of the mobo with the wiring?
Microwave
_
LOLzzz   shurup!

I tried it with an old GFX and it made no difference.

My dad's friend is a computer guy and came round and checked everything...gave it the thumbs up. So I really don't know.

I'll try and get a picture.

(thanks for the help so far )

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard