Poll

Do you Agree with Obama's statement (read before voting)?

Yes74%74% - 58
No25%25% - 20
Total: 78
CameronPoe
+2,925|6578
Of course.
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6693|UK
No! there hasn't been an attack on our soil since 9/11 and thus this should credited to my savior georgous georgey bush.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
Leprechaun56
Proud Infantry Whore
+31|6606|U.S.A
Dosent the war kind of detract from global terrorism because of all the "jihadists" from other countries go to iraq to fight the us troops?
CameronPoe
+2,925|6578

Leprechaun56 wrote:

Dosent the war kind of detract from global terrorism because of all the "jihadists" from other countries go to iraq to fight the us troops?
No. An attack on New York City was foiled only last week, one of the would be terrorist actually hailing from Brooklyn... The Madrid and London bombings weren't prevented by Iraq - two places never before attacked by Islamic militants.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6551|Global Command
He's a political whore who will exploit any angle to make himself look good.

That being said, should we have occupied the country enforcing the U.N. mandated no fly zone forever?

Read, we were occupying Iraq since the end of Gulf War I. The idea was to bring conclussion to that.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6780|Argentina

ATG wrote:

That being said, should we have occupied the country enforcing the U.N. mandated no fly zone forever?

Read, we were occupying Iraq since the end of Gulf War I. The idea was to bring conclussion to that.
He's a politician, period.  But you failed to answer the question, is this a more dangerous world because of this war?
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6541|Πάϊ

Obama wrote:

the war in Iraq had detracted from efforts to combat global terrorism.
Well, no, considering that this was the intention of the Bush administration from the beginning, and that there never were efforts to combat global terrorism. 
"All of us are glad that we haven't had a terrorist attack since 9/11
Yes.
I think there's some things that the Bush administration has done well"
Can't think of any.
"But, we live in a more dangerous world partly as a consequence of this president's actions."
Yes, although I'm not so sure about the "partly" part 

edit:

ATG wrote:

I get that feeling too.

Last edited by oug (2007-06-04 07:50:36)

ƒ³
ATG
Banned
My answer is no.
Islamist where hell bent on conflict before. They are now, what has changed?
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6780|Argentina

ATG wrote:

My answer is no.
The attacks in Madrid and London, and the NY plot have nothing to do with this war in your opinion.
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6564|Texas - Bigger than France

ATG wrote:

My answer is no.
That is true.  The Iraq conflict will be the scapegoat for anything that happens in the future, when in fact someone could argue it was inevitable.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6623|132 and Bush

CameronPoe wrote:

Leprechaun56 wrote:

No. An attack on New York City was foiled only last week, one of the would be terrorist actually hailing from Brooklyn... The Madrid and London bombings weren't prevented by Iraq - two places never before attacked by Islamic militants.
Hey wait... so that means it hasn't detracted... (Still engaged in Iraq, still busted up a plot)

I voted yes btw. Put the troops on the border and put the hundreds of billions of dollars in intelligence. Let's go back to the good ole days of inciting revolt from within...lol

9/11 only took a handful of people who were in the US legally. If it was to be prevented it would have been foiled as a result of good intelligence. Not mowing down newly recruited terrorist in Iraq.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
ATG
Banned

sergeriver wrote:

ATG wrote:

My answer is no.
The attacks in Madrid and London, and the NY plot have nothing to do with this war in your opinion.
No.  Islamic extremist have been stating for years that they will fight until the world is converted to Islam, or dead.

Pug wrote:

ATG wrote:

My answer is no.
That is true.  The Iraq conflict will be the scapegoat for anything that happens in the future, when in fact someone could argue it was inevitable.
+1
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6643|London, England
The numerous arrests made by police forces around the world is the proper way to combat terrorism. So he's right in saying that the war in Iraq is distracting from those efforts. Though, there's has been no terrorist attack in the US since 9/11 and a number of arrests have been made. You could say the U.S is doing a good enough job at both, well......not Iraq but seeing as there hasn't been any attacks carried out since 9/11, i'd say that's a good job.
Ruckel
Ruckel for all!
+43|6197|sverige
and i tought you had misspelled osama
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6564|Texas - Bigger than France
I'm still on the fence with this guy...better than Hillary so far...  After further thought, I wish I could ask Obama follow up questions. 

"The war in Iraq had detracted from efforts to combat global terrorism" - if he's got a plan I'm all ears. 

How does funding and actively participating in a war detract from combating global terrorism? 

I would think they are separately funded, and the organization don't intersect.  And, in addition, I would think it would allow for opportunities for the CIA to place some agents in the network somewhere.  I would think that the military and the terrorism control branches would be sharing more information, but it wouldn't be the focus of the terrorism task force to run the war...so again where does the detracting come from?

In the future, I'm sure Iraq created the opportunity for producing more terrorists, but...detracting against current efforts for fighting global terrorism?

Anyway, I got to go with ATG on this one - Obama gave a quotable sound byte.  The current war is not preventing or detering terrorism control.  In the future, there may be an issue.  And the "dangerous world part" ... well no shit ... there wasn't a war before and now there is.  Obama is really just saying something nice - where's the plan backing it up?

PS. I still might vote for him...
RAVAGE
+4|6196|México City, México.
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6467|The Land of Scott Walker

ATG wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

ATG wrote:

My answer is no.
No.  Islamic extremist have been stating for years that they will fight until the world is converted to Islam, or dead.
Elamdri
The New Johnnie Cochran
+134|6669|Peoria
In the end, it all comes down to this...

Terrorist, Islamic extremists, and the like are attention whores.

At the end of the day, every time CNN, FOX, or MSNBC runs a story about the war in Iraq, they might as well be opening an Al Qaeda recruitment booth.

Only history will tell how the War in Iraq truly affects the system. It may be that it is just accelerating conflict, not necessarily creating new conflict.
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6467|The Land of Scott Walker
Huh.  And all this time I thought they were just acting out because they don't have cable and don't see enough skin because of those burkas.  Who knew they just wanted attention?
XanKrieger
iLurk
+60|6680|South West England
Goes without saying really
RedTwizzler
I do it for the lulz.
+124|6559|Chicago

m3thod wrote:

No! there hasn't been an attack on our soil since 9/11 and thus this should credited to my savior georgous georgey bush.
.... and the last attack on our soil before 9/11 was?
CameronPoe
+2,925|6578

RedTwizzler wrote:

m3thod wrote:

.... and the last attack on our soil before 9/11 was?
The World Trade Centre bombing before that one.
Chiller41
+0|6194
I agree completely.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6427|North Carolina

ATG wrote:

sergeriver wrote:

ATG wrote:

My answer is no.
So, you think that invading Iraq hasn't pissed off a lot more people (and recruited a lot more terrorists) than we had to worry about before?

Sorry, man, if you really believe that, you haven't been paying much attention over the last few years.

Last edited by Turquoise (2007-06-04 16:55:07)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard