=JoD=Corithus
+30|6556

RedTwizzler wrote:

=JoD=Corithus wrote:

RedTwizzler wrote:

Using that logic, every soldier that dies is one less M16 needing to be manufactured and one less stomach to fill.

[sarcasm]Thank God that the insurgency is keeping war costs down.[/sarcasm]
Wow, you people are really streching to make poor points, good job!!!
Yeah, that or you're ignoring that you're making a quintessential double-standard. One of the two.
Ok, I'll try and explain this with little words, as it seems you lack the ability to comprehend.  Soldier good, soldier best of humanity, do good, selfless things for many other people, soldier finest humanity have to offer.  Prisoner in Gitmo, waste of flesh, useless, and in need of extermination.  You see difference now?
konfusion
mostly afk
+480|6548|CH/BR - in UK

=JoD=Corithus wrote:

Prisoner in Gitmo, waste of flesh, useless, and in need of extermination.  You see difference now?
Er - no. Prisoner in Gitmo: there without trial, there without real attorneys, perhaps without speaking English, and crappy translators. Not there on benefit of doubt ("the American way"). Er...need I explain more, or will you just not concede?

-konfusion
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6630|949

Treat terrorists as such.  How many people in Gitmo have been convicted of terrorism?  I think we have more 'terrorists' in prison in the US than in Gitmo.  Furthermore, how many prisoners in Gitmo have been released without being charged with a crime?  How long were those in there?

We have a due process in the US, something that we hold dear and stand up for, despite the inability to be 100% accurate.  Why should we expect a higher level of jurisprudence/honor in the US, but be totally acceptable of less in Gitmo?

http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=66405
UnknownRanger
Squirrels, natures little speedbump.
+610|6343|Cali

Big McLargehuge wrote:

WASHINGTON -- The suicide rate in local jails fell from 129 per 100,000 inmates in 1983 to 47 per 100,000 in 2002, the Department of Justice's Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) announced today.
http://www.ojp.gov/bjs/pub/press/shspljpr.htm

Suicide in prison is nothing new.
This is true, but still very sad.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6599|132 and Bush

https://i9.tinypic.com/4y02y3s.jpg  https://i17.tinypic.com/4m7ww3p.jpg
Need help finding Mecca?

https://i12.tinypic.com/53j89oo.jpg

https://i17.tinypic.com/4v7f0r6.jpg
All detainees at Naval Station Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, are given a copy of the Koran. Surgical masks are provided to the detainees so they can keep the Koran off the floor and prevent guards from touching it.

https://i19.tinypic.com/4vrlkz7.jpg

https://i13.tinypic.com/52gdi5z.jpg
Some people do see exercise as torture.

I've stayed at hotels that weren't that nice.
https://i7.tinypic.com/625n70w.jpg

Looks like we should rethink our definition of torture.

For the record I do have a problem with holding people and not charging them. The idea of being tortured into suicide doesn't seem likely to me though.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6839|Cologne, Germany

I don't think the conditions in Gitmo are specifically less humane than in "regular" prisons. What bothers me about that camp is that people there are held without charges, without access to a lawyer, basically denying them the right to due process. From what I have heard, although they are not soldiers, it is intended that military courts shall judge over them.

Not the way to go, if the US wants to keep the moral high ground. Military courts ruling over civilians ? That's bad...

I am not saying these people are saints. But lots of them were captured under questionable circumstances, and they don't have access to an appeals court...
Cerpin_Taxt
+155|6201

RedTwizzler wrote:

=JoD=Corithus wrote:

RedTwizzler wrote:

Using that logic, every soldier that dies is one less M16 needing to be manufactured and one less stomach to fill.

[sarcasm]Thank God that the insurgency is keeping war costs down.[/sarcasm]
Wow, you people are really streching to make poor points, good job!!!
Yeah, that or you're ignoring that you're making a quintessential double-standard. One of the two.
Good God...
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6599|132 and Bush

B.Schuss wrote:

I am not saying these people are saints. But lots of them were captured under questionable circumstances, and they don't have access to an appeals court...
Incorrect. Each detainee "has a right to appeal to our civilian-justice system. — specifically, to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit. And if that appeal is unsuccessful, the terrorist may also seek certiorari review by the Supreme Court.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_C … ct_of_2006
Xbone Stormsurgezz
RoosterCantrell
Goodbye :)
+399|6478|Somewhere else

Kmarion wrote:

Incorrect. Each detainee "has a right to appeal to our civilian-justice system. — specifically, to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit. And if that appeal is unsuccessful, the terrorist may also seek certiorari review by the Supreme Court.

But do they even know of these rights?  And what could they do if they did?  Do they really have anyway to start the appeal?

I am not saying I know otherwise, I am just asking....... and a bit sceptical.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6630|949

Kmarion wrote:

B.Schuss wrote:

As long as they get a trial first...
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6599|132 and Bush

RoosterCantrell wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

But do they even know of these rights?  And what could they do if they did?  Do they really have anyway to start the appeal?

I am not saying I know otherwise, I am just asking....... and a bit sceptical.
Given the amount of prisoners that have been released I would imagine someone is advising them. The lawyers defending at gitmo are not as soft  as some of you think. http://www.miamiherald.com/416/story/110972.html

@Ken, I couldn't agree more.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
zeidmaan
+234|6413|Vienna

I hate to see so many Americans approve of Gitmo. Once upon a time you were a moral compass to many people all over the world. Now suddenly you your selves are comparing your selves with terrorists and saying "if they can do it so can we".
You cant expect morality from terrorists but you should God damn well expect it from your selves, the leaders of the free world. Shame on you.
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6718|California

Gitmo will be dismantled when Insurgents stop torturing and killing Allied soldiers. Sound fair? Congress believes so.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6599|132 and Bush

zeidmaan wrote:

I hate to see so many Americans approve of Gitmo. Once upon a time you were a moral compass to many people all over the world. Now suddenly you your selves are comparing your selves with terrorists and saying "if they can do it so can we".
You cant expect morality from terrorists but you should God damn well expect it from your selves, the leaders of the free world. Shame on you.
It has more to do with Government actions not representing the majority. However, I still can't draw the same moral equivalence between Gitmo and hanging decapitated corpse from bridges. It just isn't the same thing.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
zeidmaan
+234|6413|Vienna

Kmarion wrote:

zeidmaan wrote:

It has more to do with Government actions not representing the majority. However, I still can't draw the same moral equivalence between Gitmo and hanging decapitated corpse from bridges. It just isn't the same thing.
Yeah but they are a bunch of brainwashed crazy terrorists. You are Americans. You shouldn't even do 1/1000 of the shit they do. You are not beating them by becoming them.
iamangry
+59|6643|The United States of America

zeidmaan wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

zeidmaan wrote:

Yeah but they are a bunch of brainwashed crazy terrorists. You are Americans. You shouldn't even do 1/1000 of the shit they do. You are not beating them by becoming them.
I TOTALLY agree with you as an American.  But in fighting an enemy you unfortunately tend to gain some of his traits.  I hate what we've had to do, and I hate the enemy even more for pushing us into doing some of it (most of it is our politicians, what can I say, they're not looking out for me or any other citizens other than themselves). However, while I know we must try to hold the moral high ground as much as we can by being moral, being human demands resiliency and an ability to adapt.  I just wish that adapting didn't mean sacrificing some of our ideals.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6630|949

iamangry wrote:

zeidmaan wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

I TOTALLY agree with you as an American.  But in fighting an enemy you unfortunately tend to gain some of his traits.  I hate what we've had to do, and I hate the enemy even more for pushing us into doing some of it (most of it is our politicians, what can I say, they're not looking out for me or any other citizens other than themselves). However, while I know we must try to hold the moral high ground as much as we can by being moral, being human demands resiliency and an ability to adapt.  I just wish that adapting didn't mean sacrificing some of our ideals.
You are making as much sense as someone who orders a Big Mac with a Diet Coke...

"in fighting an enemy you tend to gain some of his traits"? ??
The enemy is pushing us to adopt a policy of "enhanced interrogation techniques"? (haha bad euphamism)
"resiliency and the ability to adapt" play no part in guarenteeing basic fundamental rights to all.

As I said before, we Americans hold "civil" and "human" rights on a pedestal.  How can anyone possibly rationalize the way we are treating some people?  This would not fly in American prisons.  Why do you think the government sets up "debreifing centers" outside of our country?  There simply is no reason to just hold someone without a trial, without any real timetable on a trial.  Either charge them or let them go.

Punish people that rightfully deserve it.  Too many have already been released from prison without being charged, without even so much as an apology.  That, in my opinion, is reason enough to enact change.

Last edited by KEN-JENNINGS (2007-05-31 17:37:29)

HunterOfSkulls
Rated EC-10
+246|6277

=JoD=Corithus wrote:

Ok, I'll try and explain this with little words, as it seems you lack the ability to comprehend.  Soldier good, soldier best of humanity, do good, selfless things for many other people, soldier finest humanity have to offer.  Prisoner in Gitmo, waste of flesh, useless, and in need of extermination.  You see difference now?
You, dumbshit who doesn't understand due process of law, that "soldier" doesn't automatically equal "saint" or how colossally stupid you sound for declaring any group of people is "in need of extermination". It's people like you who almost, against my better judgement and sense of self-preservation, make me wish that US citizens could end up in Gitmo on a more regular basis. We could make it really ironic for you and have you end up there because of an anonymous tip or maybe sell you to the US authorities for a big wad of cash, like a good number of the folks that have ended up there all ready. Of course if you really lucked out and they thought you actually had some sort of value (how that would happen is beyond me) you might get a nice little vacation at one of our many extraordinary rendition resorts. Unfortunately the only amusements there involve water and they're not amusing for you, just the people watching you struggle and choke.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6599|132 and Bush

We have detained Enemy Combatants in nearly every armed conflict we have engaged in (without trial or counsel.). We have ourselves been subject to these rules. U.S. POW's have been legally detained for years in prior conflicts. Gitmo hasn't came close to that point. Also, how is it in the best interest of the government to detain anyone longer than what is necessary? The purposes of detaining enemy combatants during wartime are to gather intelligence and to ensure that detainees do not return to assist the enemy. They are called Prisoners of War. Should we just shoot them as they come running out with white flags?

Now for the kicker.
The Geneva convention permits a government to detain enemy combatants until hostilities cease.
My problem is the uncertainty of knowing when we have seen the "end of hostilities" when fighting a group like Al Qaida.

Non US citizens are not protected under the United States Constitution. So they have no right to habeas corpus relief in U.S. courts. However, how we detain and treat detainees is a reflection of the humanity of our Nation.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
HunterOfSkulls
Rated EC-10
+246|6277

Kmarion wrote:

Should we just shoot them as they come running out with white flags?
The problem is a lot of these folks weren't taken under force of arms and surrendering. Some were kidnapped and sold by Northern Alliance thugs in Afghanistan looking to make some bank off all the money the Coalition is throwing around for people with information on "Al Qaeda operatives" which some seem to interpret as "that jerk Hamish who owes me money" or "that cabdriver over there". This would be a lot more clear-cut if they were being taken in combat, not dumped on the Coalition's doorstep with a note that says "Heer iz Al Kada oprative, send mony pls kthxbye".

Kmarion wrote:

Now for the kicker.
The Geneva convention permits a government to detain enemy combatants until hostilities cease.
My problem is the uncertainty of knowing when we have seen the "end of hostilities" when fighting a group like Al Qaida.
A lot more people should have a problem with this, as it cuts way too close to "We have always been at war with Eastasia" for anyone's good.

Kmarion wrote:

Non US citizens are not protected under the United States Constitution. So they have no right to habeas corpus relief in U.S. courts. However, how we detain and treat detainees is a reflection of the humanity of our Nation.
Actually, here we run into another problem. One, as I understand it, and I may be wrong since I am not a student of constitutional law but here goes, the only provisions of the Constitution and Bill of Rights that non-US citizens are not covered by are those expressly reserved for citizens: office holding, voting, the basic activities of citizen-participatory government. Naturally non-citizens wouldn't be extended those rights. Regarding the basic human rights enumerated in the Constitution and Bill of Rights, they are indeed covered. You can't deprive a non-US citizen of property, liberty or life without due process just because they're not a US citizen. You can't take someone here on holiday and make them your indentured servant because they weren't born here. You can't rape a non-citizen and say it's not against the law because they have no rights on US soil.

The second problem is, if they're POWs, that means they were engaged in a legitimate military conflict with the United States and as such they shouldn't be on trial for squat unless they've personally done something vile and monstrous that is above and beyond that which a soldier is permitted. The US didn't sentence rank-and-file German soldiers to prison terms; they were only held until the conflict ceased. The only German military members who ended up on trial were those found to have engaged in war crimes or aided the Holocaust. The US government seems to want to have it both ways: they're POWs who have no right to a jury trial or counsel and they're criminals who need to be tried and punished.
TrollmeaT
Aspiring Objectivist
+492|6670|Colorado
Awwww my heart breaks for the terrorist who decided to kill himself. They should have all been shot to begin with.
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6714
If you were a prisoner and had to pick... Gitmo or being held by terrorists... which would you pick?  Id take my chances with Gitmo and US guards... lol...   
Some of the people at Gitmo might be innocent...?  I saw that 2 that were released went right back to fighting in Afghanistan... One of the 2 guys claimed he was a doctor who had nothing to do with terrorism or Al Qaeda or the Taliban until they caught him again...
Love is the answer
HunterOfSkulls
Rated EC-10
+246|6277

TrollmeaT wrote:

Awwww my heart breaks for the terrorist who decided to kill himself. They should have all been shot to begin with.
Yep, because nothing else is quite the hallmark of freedom, democracy and modernity like summary execution is. Just ask the enlightened and civilized governments of Iran and China if you don't believe me.
HunterOfSkulls
Rated EC-10
+246|6277

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

If you were a prisoner and had to pick... Gitmo or being held by terrorists... which would you pick?  Id take my chances with Gitmo and US guards... lol...   
Some of the people at Gitmo might be innocent...?  I saw that 2 that were released went right back to fighting in Afghanistan... One of the 2 guys claimed he was a doctor who had nothing to do with terrorism or Al Qaeda or the Taliban until they caught him again...
Really, I can't imagine why someone held at Gitmo as a suspected terrorist might develop a grudge against the US, it being such a relaxing vacation destination full of the very spirit of human kindness and all that.

Oh, and you might want to rethink your choice there. I don't imagine an American held at Gitmo would fare very well, considering you'd be looked at as a traitor to your own people whether you actually were or not.
13rin
+977|6477

usmarine2005 wrote:

Braddock wrote:

physical and psychological hell that is Guantanamo bay.
lol
Yea... LOL... Guantanmo bayers have it better than our own troop overseas have it....  Don't these guys blow themselves up when give the chance anyways?

Last edited by DBBrinson1 (2007-05-31 22:27:43)

I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard