Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6777|Cambridge (UK)

BigmacK wrote:

I think it may be a hardware error. Probably your burner (if thats what failed, seeing as how you were trying to copy it to a disc.) Is there a way he can reset it?
It could be, and simply disconnecting the burner would work in that case, but I reckon his first priority is to get his work of his HDD.
=Karma-Kills=
"Don't post while intoxicated."
+356|6596|England
Do you have your windows CD? XP im assuming.

Boot from CD.

Recover console.

Fixboot.

Fixmbr.

Reboot.

Otherwise, try the option (Debuggin mode?) that stops it restarting after an error?

On another PC? Download a rescuse CD (e.g. Acronis True Image - this excact one may not work for you though, just an example), burn to CD, boot from the CD. Copy as much as you can to a Pen drive.

Find a Linux CD.

Boot summin like Ubuntu that will most likely detect your settings and your connections.

Upload all whats you wants to the internet or copy to other medium.

Then Format:c\
BigmacK
Back from the Dead.
+628|6762|Chicago.

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

BigmacK wrote:

I think it may be a hardware error. Probably your burner (if thats what failed, seeing as how you were trying to copy it to a disc.) Is there a way he can reset it?
It could be, and simply disconnecting the burner would work in that case, but I reckon his first priority is to get his work of his HDD.
If I'm right, the only reason that he can't get into windows is because that drive is having an error when the boot up starts it. If you can reset that, the computer should run no problem.
Scorpion0x17
+691|6777|Cambridge (UK)

BigmacK wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

BigmacK wrote:

If I'm right, the only reason that he can't get into windows is because that drive is having an error when the boot up starts it. If you can reset that, the computer should run no problem.
Could be, or his HDD could be dying, in which case everytime he switches his PC he may be making things worse and making it harder to recover his lost work.

That's why, either way, I say his first priority is to recover that lost work.
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6731|California

Even if that program finds the HDD, I have no connection to the internet to send my files to.

Gah. Too much emotional pain for one day, I'll sleep on it
BigmacK
Back from the Dead.
+628|6762|Chicago.

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Could be, or his HDD could be dying, in which case everytime he switches his PC he may be making things worse and making it harder to recover his lost work.

I don't see where you think that his HD is dieing. Look at what he said initially:

stryyker wrote:

I just spent the last 5 hours of my life finishing up on a project for my photo class that is due tomorrow. I tried to copy it to a disc, but the tray wouldn't open. I restarted the computer, only to have it blue screen the instant it logs on to XP, and restart itself.
The re-boot was done to try to open the disc drive, which would have interrupted the process and perhaps is causing the error. I don't see where the HD could be malfunctioning (please tell me if there is something I missed).
cospengle
+140|6498|Armidale, NSW, Australia
Why don't you put your HDD into the computer you're using to post here?
Darkhelmet
cereal killer
+233|6762|the middle of nowhere

cospengle wrote:

And the boy gets a cigar.
Scorpion0x17
+691|6777|Cambridge (UK)

BigmacK wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

I don't see where you think that his HD is dieing. Look at what he said initially:

stryyker wrote:

I just spent the last 5 hours of my life finishing up on a project for my photo class that is due tomorrow. I tried to copy it to a disc, but the tray wouldn't open. I restarted the computer, only to have it blue screen the instant it logs on to XP, and restart itself.
The re-boot was done to try to open the disc drive, which would have interrupted the process and perhaps is causing the error. I don't see where the HD could be malfunctioning (please tell me if there is something I missed).
We don't know what is wrong. A dying HDD is just one of many possibilities. A dead burner is another.

Look at another part of the OP:

I just spent the last 5 hours of my life finishing up on a project for my photo class that is due tomorrow.
Whatever the problem, this has to be his priority. Figuring out what is wrong can wait.
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6731|California

cospengle wrote:

Hmm... Yes.

a SATA II hard drive, slapped into a pentium III

not gonna work out.
cospengle
+140|6498|Armidale, NSW, Australia

Darkhelmet wrote:

cospengle wrote:

And the boy gets a cigar.
What? Did I miss something?

EDIT: OK I missed something...

Last edited by cospengle (2007-05-29 19:25:57)

BigmacK
Back from the Dead.
+628|6762|Chicago.
stryyker, Is there power going to your burner? If so, can you un-plug it and reset it?

Then try to boot. If it won't work, we know my theory is wrong.
Scorpion0x17
+691|6777|Cambridge (UK)

stryyker wrote:

cospengle wrote:

Hmm... Yes.

a SATA II hard drive, slapped into a pentium III

not gonna work out.
D'oh. In that case, I won't point out that I suggested it first.
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6731|California

Heres what I've tried

unplug burner
unplug peripherals
restart CMOS
start with burner open
start with burner partially open
start with my shoe betwixt the motherboard and the graphics card
start with fire and gasoline

those last two are soon to come
BigmacK
Back from the Dead.
+628|6762|Chicago.
I'm sorry man. I have no idea what to do.
jsnipy
+3,276|6534|...

BigmacK wrote:

Booting from it will tell him for sure.
There some other dma settings associated with an optical ide drive in windows, that when not set correctly can cause issues like this.
Captain_Iron_shooter
+2|6700|Montreal, QC. Canada
Seen this kind of error two times , and both times the HD were dead (unbootable). However, one of the two, i was able to extract file from hd with a another pc. You can do the same you just need another boot drive or disk OS (knoppix, Bart-pe....etc.) something that will bypass the usual boot process and get the pc running then you can get your files. As for where to send the files ......USB drive (or key) is really useful for that..... got one???

Sorry pal
jsnipy
+3,276|6534|...

stryyker wrote:

Even if that program finds the HDD, I have no connection to the internet to send my files to.

Gah. Too much emotional pain for one day, I'll sleep on it
knoppix will pickup on dhcp
Yaocelotl
:D
+221|6661|Keyboard
If you finished your project take your HD with you to your class and tell the professor that your computer failed on you (if he doesn't buy that, and I assure you he won't), then he can plug your HD and embarrass himself by not believing you (extra points to make it up to you might come ). Other than that go to a neighbor/friend and plug it in.

I also suggest that you install any linux distro that reads NTFS HD's/partitions in your PIII computer and plug your SATA HD and collect your files, format the fucking HD, reinstall XP (or whatever OS you had), and be happy. Cheers man.
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6450|King Of The Islands

jsnipy wrote:

knoppix can read ntfs
O RLY?

jsnipy wrote:

he would have to build (BartPE)
O RLY?

I'll have to check that. My Knoppix isn't old but it isn't the latest, and it can't do NTFS. That's why I went to BartPE. I also didn't need to build it, musta got a prebuilt

That's still my recommendation, you completely skip that whole Windows thing, and just boot of the CD (whichever OS you choose to download).

I'd still recommend Bart as its the closer of the two to actual Windows. And he'd probably get distracted with all the bundled Linux games.
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6582|USA

BigmacK wrote:

Well hell, that could be anything. Let me look for symptoms like those.
windows corrupted.
Titch2349
iz me!
+358|6363|uk

If you start windows in safe mode, and it is corrupted, you rarely get a BDOS... it just sits at the file that is fucked....

Try disconnected everything from the motherboard except the RAM, CPU, and Hard Drive, Mouse, Keyboard, and Monitor. (plug your monitor back into Motherboard )
-botivix-
Damn
+23|6737|Not Scotland Anymore!
Boot to knoppix or bart, like cheez or jsnipy said, then copy the files to a usb flash drive/sd/compact flash, whichever one you can. I'm right in thinking knoppix and bart can read/write to a usb flash yes? I've never actually tried it.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6727
Plug HDD to a better pc with SATA 2 support.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Marlboroman82
Personal philosophy: Clothing optional.
+1,022|6634|Camp XRay

also get the hobo down the street go buy you some beer so you can self medicate your pain.
https://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l250/marlboroman82/Untitled-8.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard