(T)eflon(S)hadow
R.I.P. Neda
+456|6831|Grapevine, TX
I have been following this issue close, since it broke last fall. The people of Farmers Branch have spoke and it passed overwhelming. Ordinance 2903 would require apartment management to obtain proof of citizenship or legal immigration status before entering into or renewing leases or rental agreements.

The only exception to the ban would be that mixed-status families could stay if they were already living in the apartment, the spouse or head of household is a citizen or here legally, and the household includes the head of household and spouse and their minor children or parents.

I prey to God this will Wake up my State Capitol and Washington, D.C. to do something about the problem of Illegal Immigration.

/discuss  EDIT: Link not working=== Click on Farmers Branch for Story

PS This isn't some poe-dunk cow town, in the middle of nowhere, it is a suburb of Dallas, TX; the 9th largest city in the US population 1.2 million +

PSS Also they are training a 2 of their Police officers to be come Immigration & Customs Enforcement qualified officers to deal with this issue.

Last edited by (T)eflon(S)hadow (2007-05-13 08:43:49)

ghettoperson
+1,943|6651

Just 2 officers for a town that size? Doesn't seem very good. Still, it's a start, which is a lot more than good old Mr Bush seems to be doing about it.
(T)eflon(S)hadow
R.I.P. Neda
+456|6831|Grapevine, TX
The city is Farmers Branch, a suburb of Dallas. Population approx: 25,000.  Its a nice little city, but has been overrun with illegals. 2 police officers, will be able to handle it, they have plenty of back up

And I hope the Presidential Candidates are listening to the people, along with Governor Perry, FFS they need to do something!
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6550|San Diego, CA, USA
What I don't get is why the Federal Government isn't stepping up - any city that doesn't report illegals for any violations of the law should NOT receive federal funding - period.

If you want to harbor illegals, fine, then don't expect a check from Washington.

The only problem with this is towns that pass these ordinances have all these lawyers, primarily from the ACLU or supported by Mexico, come in a sue the town over and over - costing the towns ALOT of money in lawyers fees defending the ordinance.  Here in San Diego County a city called Escondido passed a similiar ordinance, but got sued so much that they couldn't afford to keep it on the books.

P.S.  Kewl Sig (T)eflon(S)hadow.

Last edited by Harmor (2007-05-13 08:58:28)

acEofspadEs6313
Shiny! Let's be bad guys.
+102|6694|NAS Jacksonville, Florida

Harmor wrote:

What I don't get is why the Federal Government isn't stepping up - any city that doesn't report illegals for any violations of the law should NOT receive federal funding - period.

If you want to harbor illegals, fine, then don't expect a check from Washington.

The only problem with this is towns that pass these ordinances have all these lawyers, primarily from the ACLU or supported by Mexico, come in a sue the town over and over - costing the towns ALOT of money in lawyers fees defending the ordinance.  Here in San Diego County a city called Escondido passed a similiar ordinance, but got sued so much that they couldn't afford to keep it on the books.

P.S.  Kewl Sig (T)eflon(S)hadow.
I remember that. There was an uproar at my school because of it.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6407|North Carolina

Harmor wrote:

In principle, I agree.  In reality, this would probably mean that the federal government would be funding very little of this country at all.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6645
how many smiths and browns are gonna be required to show proof of citizenship?
sexecuti0ner
What kinda guy are you are?
+148|6233
I used to live in Farmers Branch and now I live about 15 minutes away and anyone who reads this post should know that this is not a new thing for the area.  It is merely the latest in a long-time effort from Farmers Branch to stop illegal immigration.  Another measures taken has been to no longer require that public school teachers know Spanish, which (from my parents estimates when my little sister used to go to FB public schools) would clear out at least half of the schools.  Farmers Branch originally decided to stop catering to illegal immigrants, but now it seems that they don't want them at all.  It seems harsh, but Farmers Branch is mostly residential property, meaning that most of the tax dollars the city gets come from families, not businesses (ie. theres less of it).  I've never heard of a city going bankrupt, but it was never a "rich" place and illegal immigrants probably didn't help that.  Personally, I feel that if this is the case and illegal immigrants are literally choking an entire town, then the town can do whatever it pleases.  There are people that live there legally and they shouldn't have to suffer just because they live in a part of town where lots of illegals live.
Killya
+4|6293
I used to drive through FB every day as a shortcut on the way home from work and could see that apartment complexes were almost totally hispanic.  I always wondered if they were mostly illegal immigrants or not living there.  They key word is illegal, as there is nothing wrong with legal immigration and having a predominantly hispanic neighborhood. 

It should be the job of the federal government to prevent illegal immigration, but large bureaucratic agencies are often innefective at getting the job done...just look at FEMA for example.  It is sad that a local town has to resort to this , but somebody has to say something.  I don't think this is much more than a statement as the actual law is full of loopholes and if all the complexes are already full of illegals, then they can just continue to sublet out to other illegals right under the nose of everyone.

I think is it the right of a (what used to recently be) a small Texas town try to stay solvent under a heavy burden of paying for a large illegal immigrant population who doesn't pay taxes and sends all their money back to Mexico.
Tromboner999
Professional Nubcake
+58|6645|Here to Eternity

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

how many smiths and browns are gonna be required to show proof of citizenship?
HunterOfSkulls
Rated EC-10
+246|6281
So they're going to put pressure on apartment managers to keep illegals out of housing. And once again not a damn thing about the people who employ them. What a shock. News flash, geniuses of Farmers Branch, they're not coming here for better fucking lease rates on apartments.
elstonieo
Oil 4 Euros not $$$
+20|6339|EsSeX
how is a place with 25,000 people called a City ?

when you said City i was expecting a population of 250,000+ 

anyway 2 police seems alot for 25,000 population imo

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard