Volatile
+252|6713|Sextupling in Empire

Are we defining race as just genetics, or are we talking about culture too? It is completely irrational to deteste someone due to their genetic stock. Culture on the other hand isn't limited to race, and would seemingly be the problem with the OP's fictional character.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6590|SE London

Volatile_Squirrel wrote:

Are we defining race as just genetics, or are we talking about culture too? It is completely irrational to deteste someone due to their genetic stock. Culture on the other hand isn't limited to race, and would seemingly be the problem with the OP's fictional character.
Race is determined by genetics, not culture. Therefore we must be talking about genetics.
Volatile
+252|6713|Sextupling in Empire

Bertster7 wrote:

Volatile_Squirrel wrote:

Race is determined by genetics, not culture. Therefore we must be talking about genetics.
Ok.

RicardoBlanco wrote:

... he'd have more exposure to black people than anyone else and would therefore base his judgement on experience.
This makes no sense then. What is there to experience? What is there to judge if you're not assessing their behavior, which is influenced by culture?
RicardoBlanco
The English
+177|6577|Oxford

Volatile_Squirrel wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Volatile_Squirrel wrote:

Ok.

RicardoBlanco wrote:

... he'd have more exposure to black people than anyone else and would therefore base his judgement on experience.
This makes no sense then. What is there to experience? What is there to judge if you're not assessing their behavior, which is influenced by culture?
Genetics dictate behaviour and therefore society and culture. It's obvious if you look at groups with similar genetic patterns, they tend to fall into things we call countries.

The hypothetical question involves black people to keep it simple. Whether the people he's lived with are Black/Asian/Chinese etc is irrelevant.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6590|SE London

RicardoBlanco wrote:

Volatile_Squirrel wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Ok.

RicardoBlanco wrote:

Genetics dictate behaviour and therefore society and culture. It's obvious if you look at groups with similar genetic patterns, they tend to fall into things we call countries.

The hypothetical question involves black people to keep it simple. Whether the people he's lived with are Black/Asian/Chinese etc is irrelevant.
That's not true.

The level of genetic diversity that is prevalent throughout modern cosmopolitan societies makes your argument fairly redundant. Social factors have the greatest impact on behavioural characteristics and those are not influenced by race.

Are you trying to suggest that all people of the same race behave in the same way? That's quite clearly not true.
RicardoBlanco
The English
+177|6577|Oxford

Bertster7 wrote:

RicardoBlanco wrote:

Volatile_Squirrel wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Ok.

That's not true.

The level of genetic diversity that is prevalent throughout modern cosmopolitan societies makes your argument fairly redundant. Social factors have the greatest impact on behavioural characteristics and those are not influenced by race.

Are you trying to suggest that all people of the same race behave in the same way? That's quite clearly not true.
It is true.

The level of diversity you talk about is precisely why we have a word called racism; we generally just don't get on, hence a term for it. I'd argue the genetic differences between us have led to us creating countries, borders and patriotism precisely to keep us apart, limit confrontation and allow us to mingle with people of similar genetic heritage.

It is no coincidence that the world is the way it is today.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6590|SE London

RicardoBlanco wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

RicardoBlanco wrote:

That's not true.

It is true.

The level of diversity you talk about is precisely why we have a word called racism; we generally just don't get on, hence a term for it. I'd argue the genetic differences between us have led to us creating countries, borders and patriotism precisely to keep us apart, limit confrontation and allow us to mingle with people of similar genetic heritage.

It is no coincidence that the world is the way it is today.
Um, no it isn't. As I pointed out social factors are by far the biggest factor in determining someones behavioural characteristics.

So you are saying that all people of the same race all behave the same way?

If so, you are a racist. If not, your OP is inaccurate.
RicardoBlanco
The English
+177|6577|Oxford

Bertster7 wrote:

Um, no it isn't. As I pointed out social factors are by far the biggest factor in determining someones behavioural characteristics.

Ah, the age old question. I still say genetics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nature_versus_nurture

And please don't play the race card either, my 'OP' is not racist, it's a hypothesis and therefore can't really be inaccurate.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6590|SE London

RicardoBlanco wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

And please don't play the race card either, my 'OP' is not racist, it's a hypothesis and therefore can't really be inaccurate.
Ok, then the conclusions of the hypothesis are flawed.

You still haven't answered the most important question, which is quite simple. It's a yes or no question, there are two possible responses.

Do you believe that all people of the same race behave the same way?

Yes or No?

There is much in your link that shows that genetics and behaviour are not nearly closely linked enough for the man in your OP to not be considered to hold racist views.
Within the debates surrounding cloning, for example, is the far-fetched contention that a Jesus or a Hitler could be "re-created" through genetic cloning. Current thinking finds this largely innaccurate, and discounts the possibility that the clone of anyone would grow up to be the same individual due to environmental variation. For example, like clones, identical twins are genetically identical, and unlike the hypothetical clones share the same family environment, yet they are not identical in personality and other traits.
Environmental variation. Meaning different individuals, even genetically identical ones, even genetically identical ones brought up in virtually identical environments, are not identical in personality and other traits.

Last edited by Bertster7 (2007-05-11 12:11:43)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6610|132 and Bush

http://www.pbs.org/race/000_About/002_0 … -01-06.htm

I hope that clears it up for you guys..
Xbone Stormsurgezz
RicardoBlanco
The English
+177|6577|Oxford

Bertster7 wrote:

RicardoBlanco wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

You still haven't answered the most important question, which is quite simple. It's a yes or no question, there are two possible responses.

Yes or No?
My opinion is not in question and I haven't drawn any conclusions.

I'm arguing against our right to make a value judgement on said man by calling him racist when he's the one with the fundamental experience to be drawing any conclusions at all. If you want to play the race card and insinuate, patronisingly, that I'm a racist then fine, you won't garner any credibility from me.

Genetics play a huge part in our behaviour and it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect tension between groups of different genetic make-ups.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6590|SE London

RicardoBlanco wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

RicardoBlanco wrote:

Yes or No?

I'm arguing against our right to make a value judgement on said man by calling him racist when he's the one with the fundamental experience to be drawing any conclusions at all. If you want to play the race card and insinuate, patronisingly, that I'm a racist then fine, you won't garner any credibility from me.

Genetics play a huge part in our behaviour and it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect tension between groups of different genetic make-ups.
Actually you made your opinion abundantly clear here:

RicardoBlanco wrote:

I was willing to give people the benefit of the doubt when I was younger but now I'm older and wiser I no longer rely on preconceptions to judge them but personal experience. That's why I think only young people can be racist, the older ones know the score.
You've shown that the type of view you are presenting in the OP, is the type of view held by you.

If you can't see that judging someones potential behaviour based on race is prejudice (and since based on race, is racist), then you really need to reassess what it is that you think prejudice means.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6610|132 and Bush

Behavior is not genetically encoded into our genes. It is produced by culture.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6590|SE London

Kmarion wrote:

Exactly.

And would you say behaviour by all people of the same race is either identical or extremely similar?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6610|132 and Bush

Bertster7 wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Exactly.

And would you say behaviour by all people of the same race is either identical or extremely similar?
Generally I would try to stay away from using behavior and all people in the same thought, similar or identical. Judge the indivdual.. etc..etc

The sad thing is that there was a time in American history that we did try to associate genetics and behavior. Most Americans are not aware of this.
Eugenical Sterilization Law

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racial_Int … ct_of_1924
Xbone Stormsurgezz
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6641|949

Kmarion wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Exactly.

Generally I would try to stay away from using behavior and all people in the same thought, similar or identical. Judge the indivdual.. etc..etc

The sad thing is that there was a time in American history that we did try to associate genetics and behavior. Most Americans are not aware of this.

Yeah, we also lobotomized people.
IG-Calibre
comhalta
+226|6751|Tír Eoghan, Tuaisceart Éireann

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Exactly.

Yeah, we also lobotomized people.
as Tom Waits once said
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a Frontal lobotomy
GATOR591957
+84|6636

RicardoBlanco wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

RicardoBlanco wrote:

Yes or No?

Genetics do play a large part in behavior.  But not the only part.  Thus, different genetics from one individual to another (in the same race) diversify each race.  making your hypothetical of said man to make a judgment on a particular race even more difficult.  Again, to make a judgment on an entire race requires meeting each and every individual of that race.  Or else,  it is racism.

Last edited by GATOR591957 (2007-05-11 13:11:08)

RicardoBlanco
The English
+177|6577|Oxford

Bertster7 wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Exactly.
It's both, and according to the wiki article it's genetics which play a more important role later in life as the person develops. Precisely the scenario in my hypothesis.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6590|SE London

RicardoBlanco wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Exactly.
It's both, and according to the wiki article it's genetics which play a more important role later in life as the person develops. Precisely the scenario in my hypothesis.
How can you not see that your 'hypothesis' is little more than the demented raving of either a lunatic or a racist?

I can't break it down to be any simpler. I find it quite incomprehensible that you can't see how ridiculous your argument is.

How can you not see the vast difference between a slight genetic influence, which is all modern science believes that it is, over behaviour and the behaviour of each person of the same race being identical, as it would have to be for your hypothesis to be valid.

You sir, are a muppet.

I'm done with this.
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6674|NT, like Mick Dundee

People are always going to hate people. No matter what.

Humans just find excuses and reasons. Classist crap such as the chav thing (I'm guilty of it...), racism, discrimination on basis of religion, patriotism and imperialistic values...

It is human nature.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6414|North Carolina

RicardoBlanco wrote:

rac·ism     

–noun

1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that ones own race is superior and has the right to rule others. 

2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination. 

3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.
*Hypothetical Question*

If a man has lived all his life amongst black people and still hates them can you logically call him a racist? Seeing as racism is based on prejudice, where would the prejudice lie in this mans opinion considering he'd have more exposure to black people than anyone else and would therefore base his judgement on experience.
Yes, because if he hates ALL black people, he's making assumptions about black people he's never met.

Now, if he met every black person on the planet (and continued meeting the ones born every day), and he STILL hated ALL of them, then no, he's not a racist.  Although, you could say he's really hateful and sick....

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard