henhouck
+10|6382|Indiana, Pennsylvania
what can you upgrade on a laptop, and how do you do it.
(new to laptops)
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6542|South Florida
pretty much nothing on your own. its hard. not usually worth it. if your looking to game, buy a desktop, so much cheaper, so much cooler in temperature, and so much easier to game on IMO

Last edited by Dezerteagal5 (2007-05-10 15:11:01)

15 more years! 15 more years!
henhouck
so i cant add ram or upgrade my video card? dang

Last edited by henhouck (2007-05-10 15:15:12)

strikeman67
+5|6630
About the only thing you can upgrade on a laptop is the RAM.  You also need to check with the manufactor what is the maximun amount of RAM the laptop will support. 

Generally laptops only have 2 RAM slots.  On some models both slots maybe on the bottom.  On others, on slot is on the bottom and the other is on the top.  My Gateway MX7515 has one on the bottom and one on the top.
OrangeHound
Busy doing highfalutin adminy stuff ...
+1,335|6666|Washington DC

henhouck wrote:

You can upgrade a few items on a laptop (such as the ram)  ... but, "upgrading" a laptop really means buying a new one and selling the old one.
CoronadoSEAL
pics or it didn't happen
+207|6535|USA

OrangeHound wrote:

henhouck wrote:

You can upgrade a few items on a laptop (such as the ram)  ... but, "upgrading" a laptop really means buying a new one and selling the old one.
henhouck
alright, another question...
how do i know where to put another gig of RAM (if that makes sense)
like in what slot(is it labeled)
strikeman67
+5|6630

henhouck wrote:

alright, another question...
how do i know where to put another gig of RAM (if that makes sense)
like in what slot(is it labeled)
Check the bottom of the laptop.  There should be a panel there that is label with a "M" or something like that.  It is usually secured with one or two screws.  You need to the correct RAM for your laptop.  The best place is the manufacture or local Computer store.  The local compter store might even install the RAM too.

Hope this helps.
Smithereener
+138|6333|California
There are a few things you can upgrade on a laptop somewhat easily. RAM, by far, is the easiest component to upgrade. Hard Drive isn't overly difficult either. The Processer might be somwhat difficult to upgrade, but it's doable. Generally, the GPU isn't really upgradable. Even if you can, I've no clue where you can get a another GPU for laptops. If you're looking to up your graphics card, just get a new laptop. Santa Rosa + Dx10 Laptops are supposed to come out realllly soon.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard